Clear All

Entertainment Today: 'Gate Crashing

From Entertainment Today:

http://www.ent-today.com/tvtalk/jul04/tvt070904.htm

Opinion
    TV Talk

’Gate Crashing

by Ginny Zoraster

My boyfriend has a propensity, like many males of the species, to flip channels obsessively. Because of that I have seen about seven minutes of every single episode of the seven seasons of Stargate. He keeps telling me that I’ll like it and I keep pointing out that it is hard to get into a show at 47 minutes in, knowing full well that at the next commercial break he’ll find something else to watch. But, because I adore him, I’ve made the supreme sacrifice to actually watch an episode of Stargate’s new spin off series Stargate Atlantis from the beginning, all two hours, and then tell you nice people about it. In turn, he will be taking me to see Hilary Duff’s A Cinderella Story next weekend. OK that’s not really true, but he owes me… big time.

The series Stargate is based on the 1994 movie of the same name staring James Spader in one of his few, non-creepy roles. Basically Earth and the rest of the universe are in imminent danger from an alien race called the Goa’uld. Using the Stargate, a sort of wormhole to other planets, the members of a secret government organization called SG-1 explore the universe looking for a way to keep the Goa’uld and any other baddies they come across from destroying the Earth and enslaving humankind.

In Stargate Atlantis the team discovers the lost city of the Ancients, the original builders of the Stargate. And, much to their surprise, that lost city turns out to be underwater making it the fabled and fabulous Atlantis. Led by Dr. Elizabeth Weir, a Lara Flynn Boyle look-alike played by Torri Higginson (but not the same woman that played the character in Stargate’s season seven finale) the team plays on the same character dynamics as the cast of the original Stargate. The first episode hints at a little bit of sexual tension and a little bit of humor, qualities necessary to make viewers relate and care about the characters. Yeah, they’re dealing with life and death on a daily basis, but it seems like a pretty exciting and fun place to work. Joining her is Major John Sheppard, played by Joe Flanigan, a last minute addition to the Stargate team when it is discovered he possesses the gene to control the Barcalonger left by the Ancients. Rounding out the cast are Lieutenant Aiden Ford, played by the unfortunately named Rainbow Sun Francks (and he’s a dude, I’m guessing it was ass kickings every day on the playground), the sarcastic Dr. Rodney McKay, played by David Hewlitt and Dr. Beckett, played by Paul McGillion with an accent reminiscent of Star Trek’s Scotty.

The Sci-Fi Channel is definitely doing something right. Currently Stargate is the number one series on basic cable among 25-44 year olds and the number one hour-long series in syndication. The audience for many sci-fi shows has proven to be incredibly loyal and often vocal, even bringing shows back from cancellation (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, heck even Star Trek was on the verge of cancellation at one point) or to movie theaters (Firefly). Stargate Atlantis is full of action and special effects tempered with just a little bit of humor. If only I could remember the names of the aliens and if they were good guys or bad guys, I’d be set.

The eighth season of Stargate SG-1 premieres on the Sci-Fi Channel Friday, July 9 at 9 p.m. Stargate Atlantis premieres July 16 at 9 p.m., also on Sci-Fi and will continue Fridays at 10 p.m. Check local listing for the Sci-Fi Channel in your area.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

We love our stargates! (cry face)

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

^('o'^) ^('o')^ (^'o')^
      Dance, Kirby, dance! For Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis!

My Own Little World

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      101 Ways to Annoy, Harass, Confuse or Generally Scare Lord Voldemort
      "Be nice to nerds;
      one day, you'll end up working for one."
      -Evil Overlord Bill Gates
      Ba'al: I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!
      Jack: *choke* That's my throat, Ba'al.....

Comment

Working...
      X