This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Pete's so hated for "stalking"...

...then what about Orlin? What he did was the nearly equivilant of trying to rape Sam on Velona, remember how intimate he said the process was, and he did it without her permission. So why do people express so much hatred for such a nice guy, when there are guys like Orlin and Narim (He dropped all those feelings on Sam with that device, making her fall in love with him) out there...

*hopes the heat gets taken off of Pete*

Originally posted by Teal'c
    ...then what about Orlin? What he did was the nearly equivilant of trying to rape Sam on Velona, remember how intimate he said the process was, and he did it without her permission.
    Yeah, but he's Sean Patrick Flanery!
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
      Yeah, but he's Sean Patrick Flanery!
      Well, I'm not very good at judging a man's attractiveness, but I'm pretty sure a lot of women find David DeLuise cute

Comment

Well personally I don't think Pete is literally a "stalker" but I did take exception to his actions. I didn't particularly care for Orlin all that much either but he also has the "I'm an alien and don't know any better" excuse. Her and Pete were in an actual relationship (which she wasn't with either of the aforementioned men) and in a relationship there should be a degree of trust. I know that some people feel like the fact that Sam didn't come right out and say the words "it's classified" gave Pete a free pass to do the background check and follow her around, but the way I see it is that he knew she was a military major and that she couldn't talk about her work. If I had been in his shoes that would have driven me nuts too but I wouldn't use my power to do an illegal background check either. And even after his contact told him that Sam's record was protected and that she was most likely involved in some top level government stuff that wasn't meant to be known to the public he stll followed her. That's what really got to me. At that point he had to have known she wasn't a drug dealer or anything like that and he was told that whatever she was doing the goverment didn't want people to know. At that point you would think he would have backed off. I don't think he's the devil incarnate or anything I just wish that his actions had been addressed. But since none of TPTB saw anything wrong with what he did I guess that's not going to happen.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Orlin was cool. Nariam was cool. Pete is to goofy, but cool. I think they all work well with Sam. What about Martouf/Lantish??

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Well, I'm not very good at judging a man's attractiveness, but I'm pretty sure a lot of women find David DeLuise cute
            I don't believe I said anything about his attractiveness. I'm still quite male myself and as such am not really qualified to do so.
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Cute, yes, but does not look right with Sam. She needs a MAN!!!!

I didn't really think of him as a stalker though. Jerk, maybe.....Orlin - definitely stalker material! Even Martouf a little. As much as I liked him, he kinda creeped me out sometimes cause he would always hover around Sam - give the girl some breathing room!

Comment

Martouf's smile was evil!!!

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

...then what about Orlin? What he did was the nearly equivilant of trying to rape Sam on Velona, remember how intimate he said the process was, and he did it without her permission. So why do people express so much hatred for such a nice guy, when there are guys like Orlin and Narim (He dropped all those feelings on Sam with that device, making her fall in love with him) out there...

hey hey hey dont start bringin me into this i dont think its on the same level of rape realy, i think you have exagerrated a tad ther dont ya think...he sed the process was intimate, but rape is sexual, i dont recall him saying anythin about the process being sexual...and look! he found out she was a realy great person and was very committed to makin her happy. i think orlin shud come back for Sam, hes well the best fella for the job!!! pity he had to die for his mistakes...

Comment

Yeah, he did kind of have that - I'm so cute no one's gonna notice when I take over the world - kind of smile. Still wish he didn't die though....

Comment

wasn't too keen on those guys either. however sam was not, nor was she likely to be in a romantic relationship with those guys. for that matter, in his early days at least, i found martouf to be a bit creepy too.
                      she does have a tendency to attract the weird, "talker" obsessive types, the only exceptions being, jack and joe. maybe mckay too.
                      orlin was cute in a meet joe black kind of way. DDL is pretty cute too, but i don't find pete cute at all.

Comment

The way I see it (and this by no means applies to all people), a lot of the heat seems to come from shippers that see Pete as a "threat" to the Jack/Sam happy ending they want. Orlin and Narim both expressed feelings for Sam, but she never pursued either relationship. Pete is a relationship she's in and thus it could take the place of the Jack/Sam that shippers so crave. Therefore the blame is placed upon Pete, which if this were real life, would be dumb cause it's Carter's life and she'll choose who(m?) she will. Personally, I find it kind of pointless to make such a big deal about such a minor part of the show, but maybe that's just me.

As I said, this doesn't apply to all people, I understand that some of you have valid reasons for not liking the character and such, and I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about the ones that just want a reason to hate Pete. They may or may not know who they are, but they're the ones I'm talking about.
                        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Don't bet on it. By the looks of it, the Sam/Jack shippers, which I consider myself a part of, outnumber you Pro-pete fans big time.
                          I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

Comment

i think its more of an issue of anti sam/pete versus pro sam/pete, than s/j vs. s/p.
                            but i could be wrong on that.

Comment

Since you ask Teal'c - I agree with what Shipperahoy says 100% plus I think that the entirety of pete's second half behaviour was disrespectful and dishonest and immature. (For the record I have never referred to pete as a stalker and won't nor have I wished for pete's death or dismemberment.) This whole thing is not only about pete doing a background check and then following her. His entire second half behaviour is one of several actions that are all interrelated and interconnected to each other, the behaviour cannot be separated and dealt with as if they each occured as separate actions. In the second half he: (1) lied to her that morning before he left when he said he was going back to Denver - we all know he stayed in Colorado Springs; (2) left her the morning after they had slept together for the first time; (3) left in a hissy fit all because he did not get his way (his shirt was not buttoned nor did he have his shoes on as he went to his truck thereby classifying this as a hissy fit IMO); (4) called his FBI friend to do the background check while he was still sitting in front of her house after he left her; (5) did not try and call or contact her at all after he left her that morning; (6) when his FBI friend called him back he was already secretly watching her house and his FBI friend told him basically all he found was the backstop info on Carter but then it dead-ended. Pete knew this meant her file had been "scrubbed" as he said it while talking to his FBI friend. His FBI friend then tells him that she is probably involved in some pretty high-level stuff like perhaps covert operations or black ops, the stuff the governement denies any knowledge of, and if he asked him he would say that "Carter is connected something big" and he tells pete to back-off because this is "way out of your league" but pete chose once again not to listen and he; (7) continued to sit secretly watching her house waiting for her; (8) when she left her house he followed her; (9) he followed her to the stakeout site and sat watching her van overnight (with night vision binoculars no less - he came prepared); (10) he interrupted her at the stakeout as she was exiting the van to go to the house to help Jack, Daniel and Teal'c (in that scene as he approached the van he did NOT have his gun drawn - he was walking up to the side of the van calmly indicating to me that he did not sense any danger to himself or to Sam at the time - if you watch the scene as Sam came out of the van he calmly called her name (still no gun drawn) still indicating he did not sense any danger and was going up to the van to talk with her. He does not draw his gun until after he distracts Sam and Osiris shoots at them and hits the van. (I detail this scene because in addition to some people saying that pete had the right to do the background check and follow her because she did not use the word "classified", which I completely disagree with, some people also say that it was okay for him to follow her and be at the stakeout because he cared about her and wanted to protect her but it is clear from that scene that he did not sense any danger at the time he was walking up to the van to talk to her as he was not running towards the van or towards Sam and he did not have his gun drawn and in fact he did not draw his gun until AFTER Osiris shot at the van.)

Some people also try to justify/dismiss pete's behaviour by saying he is a cop, or by saying it's human nature to be "inquisitive" - once again these excuses do not work, IMO. The fact that he is a cop makes his behaviour even worse because he has probably had to keep things about his job from his ex-wife and friends so he knows what that is all about. It may be human nature to be "inquisitive" but I do not think it is human nature to be dishonest and disrespectful to the person you claim to love in the way that pete was. This is not only about being "inquisitive", as poor as an excuse as that is, this is about him lying to her, him leaving her the morning after they spent their first night together, him not trying to contact her after he left her in order to discuss it as adults, him secretly waiting outside her house for her, him doing an unauthorized background check on her through a friend at the FBI abusing his power, him following her, him showing up at the stakeout he was not authorized to be at, him distracting her at the stakeout thereby putting her in harms way more so than she was already in.

It is for all of these reasons, especially the fact that he is a cop and should have known better not to do most of these things that he did that I think pete was a very poorly written, poorly conceived character. Bottom-line his entire second half behaviour was disrespectful to Sam and he lied to her plus he did not trust her. All of this behaviour towards a woman he claims to love - please. The fact that Sam did nothing to react and tell pete he was wrong makes this even worse - it indicates that it is okay to treat women in such a disrespectful manner. Well it's not okay - Sam was supposed to be a strong, independent, intelligent woman with self-respect and dignity - IMO those traits were pretty much thrown right out the window when she let pete treat her like a doormat.

IMO it has nothing to do with David DeLuise or whether he is cute or a nice, sweet guy, as they say keep the charcater separate from the actor but at the same time keep the actor separate from the character. I am sure DDL is a very nice, sweet, funny guy and if I met him I am sure I too would like him, that however, would NOT change my opinion of pete - his behaviour, IMO, was offensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X