Mals Rank - Serenity/Firefly Goof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mals Rank - Serenity/Firefly Goof

In the series he is a Sergeant, but on the records that The Operative is looking at it, it says he was a Captain.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
    In the series he is a Sergeant, but on the records that The Operative is looking at it, it says he was a Captain.
    Yes, I noticed that.

I figure you could spackle it by saying that he got a field promotion to command all those troops which was confirmed just before the Volunteer Army were disbanded as a kind of 'sorry we left your company to get slaughtered and die of gangrene' gesture, but I get the feeling Mal would have walked out in disgust if they'd done that. Still, he might be formally listed in Alliance intel as a captain.

Or there was a tiny break in concentration in the VFX department.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

My first thought was that Joss Whedon broke slightly with canon to make matters slightly less confusing for the Firefly virgins... After he changed the whole Simon breaks River out of psycho facility angle... What's another bit of tinkering among fans, right?
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

He's a Captain at the time of the movie. I think that's what the record is showing.

Comment

He Captain of the Serenity, which is what the record was showing.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

The record clearly stated that he was a captain in the volunteer army, an army that no longer exists. Also, even at the time of the movie he doesn't hold the rank of captain; he is captain only in as much as he is master of his own ship.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Yuhuh, Captain is just formality and what not. It was a record of his wartime...ness.
              sigpic

Comment

I watched Serenity at the cinemas again, and if you watch REALLY closely, it goes through this on the opertatives screen:

MALCOLM REYNOLDS
                CAPTAIN
                SMUGGLER
                (I think Thief is here, but not sure.)
                SERGEANT OF THE 57th DIVISION.

*Insert charactors history here*
                ~
                ~
                ~
                ~

The Captain is referring as captaun of Serenity.
                And i'm pretty sure the operative highlights the Sergeant and it flashes up on his screen.
                As you can plainly see, i'm WAAAAAY to obsessed over this movie/series...Doing a pretty damned good fanfic about it aswell. (All positive feedback so far...not posted on net though :\ )

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Am I allowed to post screencaps from the *pword* copy of the film?
                  sigpic

Comment

yea, he is actually a sargent (from the war and such) but when he bought Serenity, he became "captain" of Serenity.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                      Am I allowed to post screencaps from the *pword* copy of the film?
                      No.

Comment

Well said White.
                        Glad this point has been cleared up, now I can get on my merry way...

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Working...
                        X