• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV or Not TV?

From ShowBizData:

http://www.showbizdata.com/contacts/...2.20/index.htm

TV OR NOT TV?

Sony Pictures Chairman and CEO Michael Lynton said Tuesday that his company plans to introduce an online service that will allow users to download TV shows and other video onto a portable device that the company's electronics division expects to roll out within the coming year. The service was described as an extension of Sony's current online music unit, Connect, a rival of Apple's iTunes. "Sony Connect will not be just a music service but also a video business within the next year," Lynton told the London Financial Times. It was not clear how the new service would affect Sony's partnership with four other studios in Movielink, which also offers online video. Meanwhile, Microsoft founder Bill Gates predicted Tuesday that DVDs and traditional television will disappear within ten years. In an interview with the German newspaper Bild, Gates said that the day is nearing when consumers will be able to turn on their television sets and be able to see "what we want to see, when we want to see it."

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Thats awesome, like an iPod meets TIVO. I would totally download SG1/A and BSG!

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

TV-on-demand, either downloadable off the internet or through cable/satellite, is already available and I suspect it will become more widespread in a short while. Makes sense.

What Bill Gates actually said was that DVDs would become obsolete because "the home computer will know who we are from our voice or our face. It will know what we want to watch, our favourite programmes, or what the kids shouldn't be allowed to see." That's actually kind of scary to think about. What if I want to watch something that isn't my favorite? Then again, Bill said "640K ought to be enough for anybody" in 1981.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Too bad everybody is gonna need 100Mbps atleast to run everything. Gonna be expensive for the governments.

Comment

But Bush promised we'd all get broadband!

...sorry, the one thing I really care about...neeeddd...fasstterr...porrrn.....

But it sounds like a cool, very marketable, idea...expensive idea, probably not for most average consumers (portable device: $200; broadband: whatever it is, expensive; Subscription fee: expensive), but a good one.
          "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Working...
          X