PDA

View Full Version : Great Sci-Fi Romances

MarshAngel
November 17th, 2005, 08:12 AM
An idea sparked once again by Scifibrain (http://scifibrain.ign.com/)

They have a poll about the best scifi romances. So far Han Solo/Princess Leia (Star Wars) are in the lead with Aeryn & Chrichton (Farscape) in second, but I'm going to admit something that may be shocking to some people.. I've never seen Star Wars :o so I have no opinion on Han Solo and Leia. That doesn't stop me from putting together my own list though.

Max & Liz (Roswell) I liked the show despite its truly unspectatcular last season. The best thing about that show was the teen angstyness of Max & Liz's relationship which had a cotton candy, Romeo and Juliet, epic soul mate factor, so sweet it could almost make me gag.... but didn't.

Buffy & Angel (Buffy TVS) - Not quite scifi but deserving a mention. There's just something heart pulling about an ill fated romance between a teenager and a way too much older man that just makes you tear up when they play the special 'this is a sad romantic moment' music.

Aeryn & Chrichton - There was the initial attraction and then a romance that made perfect sense when you considered all they'd been through. It takes true love to make you envious of the relationship between two fugitives on the run from evil people who want to suck their brains dry and kill them.

Sydney & Vaugn - They were the heart of Alias without the usual melodrama that often goes with such romances. There was some soapyness with her untimely return from the dead and his ill fated marriage but the love was there without excessive PDA

Tom & Belanna - of all the Star Trek romances this was the only one that worked for me.

I would say Worf and Dax but their love only impressed me when she died.

Clarke & Lana almost made my list but the constant on agin off again has always bothered me and I'm sure their relationship is doomed.

ShadowMaat
November 17th, 2005, 10:03 AM
In no particular order...

Han/Leia (Star Wars trilogy)

Michael/Lisa (Now & Again- OMG, total angsty sizzle)

Bud/Lindsey (Abyss)

Can't think up more, work is too busy

Blue Banrigh
November 17th, 2005, 10:08 AM
John Crichton/Aeryn Sun. There are other romances I like, but that one is the only one I'd consider 'great'.

Qasim
November 17th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Never seen Star Wars!!!!!! Go watch it now!!!! :D

Solo/Leia

soon to be Sam/Jack (we can hope) :D

skritsys
November 17th, 2005, 10:20 AM
What about Worf and Dax? Now there was a good scifi romance. One worthy of Sto'Vo'Kor.

MarshAngel
November 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Never seen Star Wars!!!!!! Go watch it now!!!! :D

Solo/Leia

soon to be Sam/Jack (we can hope) :D
To be honest it's not for want of trying. It's like me and the Wizard of Oz... just can't get into it. I did watch Phantom Menace but I was underwhelmed and uninclined to continue with the rest.

blufeenix
November 17th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Max & Isabel (Roswell) I liked the show despite its truly unspectatcular last season. The best thing about that show was the teen angstyness of Max & Isabel's relationship which had a cotton candy, Romeo and Juliet, epic soul mate factor, so sweet it could almost make me gag.... but didn't.

Wasn't it Max and Liz?

Anyway I would vote for aeryn and crichton

MarshAngel
November 17th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Yes it was. but for the entire day I've been calling her Isabel. If it were Max and Isabel it would have been a very very different show.:eek:

ToasterOnFire
November 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM
To be honest it's not for want of trying. It's like me and the Wizard of Oz... just can't get into it. I did watch Phantom Menace but I was underwhelmed and uninclined to continue with the rest.
Ye gods, my advice is don't even bother watching the "newer" trilogy. Phantom Menace would scare away almost anyone new to Star Wars - it was hands-down the worst movie of the six. Start out with New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, they're superior in every way!

(I'm partial to the Hans/Leia relationship myself. :D)

AGateFan
November 17th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Ye gods, my advice is don't even bother watching the "newer" trilogy. Phantom Menace would scare away almost anyone new to Star Wars - it was hands-down the worst movie of the six. Start out with New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, they're superior in every way!

(I'm partial to the Hans/Leia relationship myself. :D)
Absolutley DO NOT compare Han\Leia to the travestly (and I mean acting and script wise) of Anniken\Amadala (ew and yuk).

Ok, maybe I am the only one in the history of sci fi. But I really liked the understated romance of John Sheridan\Delenn from Babylon5. No real angst just 2 people that decided they really cared about each other.

From what little I've seen I kinda like the Zoe\Walsh from Firefly also, but Im not a big firefly fan so maybe I missed something that makes that forgettable.

MasySyma
November 17th, 2005, 06:43 PM
There are some tough choices.

Han/Leia

Worf/Jadzia

Jack/Sam (I'm determined to think positive.)

I could list more, but I'd move too much into the fantasy genre. Many of the best romances are technically fantasy. :)

Jonas
November 17th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Han and Leia
John and Aeryn
Buffy and Angel
Oz and Willow
Xander and Anya
Syd and Vaughn
Worf and Jadzia
Riker and Troi
Max and Liz
Mulder and Scully
Baltar and Six
Lee Adama and Kara Thrace
Ron and Hermione (Does Harry Potter count as sci-fi?)

Egeria
November 17th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Not watched Star Wars:eek:

Mine:

Han/Leia
Buffy/Spike (Sooo good)
Willow/Tara

Thankyou Shadow for reminding me of Bud/Lindsey:)

*Edit* Blade Runner Deckard/Rachael...

CKO
November 17th, 2005, 10:10 PM
John/Aeryn
Han/Leia
Mulder/Scully
Lee/Kara
Zoe/Wash
Simon/Kaylee
Riker/Troi
Worf/Dax
Ezri/Bashier

damn this list could go on and on

White Knight
November 18th, 2005, 03:46 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Simon and Kaylee on this one. I've always had a soft spot for this particular romance, mainly 'cause its hilarious ("Why don't you tell the cow it has beautiful eyes?").

Samuel J. Tilden
November 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I'm not a bit fan of romance (in sci-fi or real life) but the Phil/Keely thing from Phil of the Future is wonderful. It hasn't developed enough to be considered truly great, but by the end of the third season they have a chance to resolve it nicely.

the_cadpig
November 28th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Okay...

For series TV, I agree on...

John / Aeryn (penultimate romance. humor, tragedy, angst (lots of angst) - the whole enchilada)

Buffy / Angel (I still imagining they somehow end up together. I liked Spike, but sorry, Angel was the real deal for Buffy)

Tom / B'Elanna (only Trek romance that felt "real" to me - Trek doesn't do romance well... or at all *sigh*)

Mulder / Scully (best when subtle but absolutely palpable)

Sydney / Vaughn (yeah, baby)

Max / Liz - Michael / Maria - Alex / Isabel (Roswell) (They were all interesting and worthy of attention)

Others that reeled me in...

Julia Heller / Alonzo Solace (Earth 2) (Opposites attract. Also a bit of Helsinki Syndrome going on. But they were cute and angsty together)

Devon Adair / John Danziger (Earth 2) (Sparkage. Definate Sparkage. But alas, cancelled)

John / Delenn (B5) (some think it was stale but I thought it was mature and sweet and realistic. Well, as realistic as a romance between a human and alien who are both respected revolutionary leaders of their people can be.)

Susan / Marcus (B5) (a non-romance, to be sure, but still... the potential... *sigh* And marcus was soooooo sweet.)

Wash / Zoe (Firefly) (a successful married couple on a sci-fi show. Who'd a thunk it? But alas, cancelled)

Johnny / Sarah / Walt (The Dead Zone) (the ultimate triangle)

Nick Knight / Natelie Lambert - (Forever Knight) (like Buffy, not scifi - but these two were cute together)

Nick / Janette - (FK) (Nick and Natalie were cute but these two had some hot chemistry going on)

Vachon / Tracy - (FK) (what is it with vamps and humans anyway?)

And the ulimate romance?

Catherine / Vincent (Beauty and the Beast) (So romantic it was practically Harlequin. It was brief (2 1/2 years... well, 2 yrs, technically. If you know the show at all, you'll know what I mean) and not many remember this one, but I watched it every Friday. It was unique for a series. I haven't seen anything like it on TV since and wish desperately it would come out on DVD)

~cp

Crichton
November 28th, 2005, 02:46 AM
1st Place
-Han and Leia
2nd Place
-Mulder and Scully
3rd Place
-Baltar and Six
4th Place
-Crichton and Aeryn
Last Place
-Anakin and Padme

SimilarCadence
November 28th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Han and Leia---though I usually prefer the romance to be subtle, these two were a lot of fun together. Leia managed to do what her mother couldn't---end up with the right guy....

Riker and Troi---I have a soft spot for these two even though they spent the majority of time apart from each other, romantically speaking....

Jack and Sam---yeah, I know.....people either see it or they don't. I see it bigtime....

Mulder and Scully---meant to be....the union of faith and reason....

Sheridan and Delenn---classy, elegant and understated....

MarshAngel, I agree with ToasterOnFire and AGateFan. Stick with the original Star Wars trilogy. I've seen the three newest ones. When someone mentions them, what comes to my mind, first and foremost, is Padme's beautiful and extensive change of costumes---not a good sign for scifi movies of epic proportions. (Personally, I think someone needs to disable Lucas' word processor before he tries to write any more dialogue....)

Crichton
November 28th, 2005, 11:48 AM
but I'm going to admit something that may be shocking to some people.. I've never seen Star Wars :o so I have no opinion on Han Solo and Leia. Just call into work, or school or whatever. Seriously. It's time for you to watch the original trilogy. :)

AGateFan
November 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Just call into work, or school or whatever. Seriously. It's time for you to watch the original trilogy. :)
Oh my yes, you must take a day and watch the oringal Star Wars trilogy. After all Teal'c likes it so it MUST be good :)

Crichton
November 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Oh my yes, you must take a day and watch the oringal Star Wars trilogy. After all Teal'c likes it so it MUST be good :)LOL :D

MarshAngel
November 28th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Oh my yes, you must take a day and watch the oringal Star Wars trilogy. After all Teal'c likes it so it MUST be good :)

Well, I work at home so I could watch it but... and I'm about to hurt some people here... I don't really want to. I tried, I really did, but the robots r2d2? and the gold dude got on my nerves everytime in the first one. After about 45 mins the whole thing loses me. And I've been spoiled by the great special effects that came after those movies were made.

AGateFan
November 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM
:(.... did you try skipping to Empire Strikes Back thats where the Han\Leia thing really takes off anyway. But the 3PO\R2 ship may be one to add to the list....unless they are just friends. ;)

SimilarCadence
November 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Well, I work at home so I could watch it but... and I'm about to hurt some people here... I don't really want to. I tried, I really did, but the robots r2d2? and the gold dude got on my nerves everytime in the first one. After about 45 mins the whole thing loses me. And I've been spoiled by the great special effects that came after those movies were made.

Well, speaking for myself, my feelings aren't hurt.....

It's probably a good thing---hey, maybe even your subconscious self-preservation kicking in---that you couldn't stand R2D2 and C3PO from the original trilogy. If they bothered you, I'd hate to see how JarJar Binks (from the last three) would have affected you! :p

CatGoddess
November 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Hmmm.

Riker & Troi - Very interesting interplay. It's rare to see two people with a romantic relationship in their past, who are nonetheless able to work together and even be friends.

Buffy & Angel - Definitely an unusual couple, a vampire with a soul and someone whose calling is to kill vampires.

Simon & Kaylee - You could cut the tension with a knife. I like the way that was resolved ;)

Sheridan & Delenn - "One day they're shooting at you, the next day they're asking you out to dinner." (possible misquote, I'm too lazy to look up the exact words)

I'm reserving judgement on Crichton and Aeryn as I am only just starting to get into Farscape (my new project...)

SimilarCadence
December 3rd, 2005, 08:03 AM
Han and Leia---though I usually prefer the romance to be subtle, these two were a lot of fun together. Leia managed to do what her mother couldn't---end up with the right guy....

Riker and Troi---I have a soft spot for these two even though they spent the majority of time apart from each other, romantically speaking....

Jack and Sam---yeah, I know.....people either see it or they don't. I see it bigtime....

Mulder and Scully---meant to be....the union of faith and reason....

Sheridan and Delenn---classy, elegant and understated....

After watching The Abyss last night, I'm also adding Bud and Lindsey to my list---I'd forgotten what a great couple they were......

jazz!
December 3rd, 2005, 08:15 AM
R2D2 and C3P0

Missster.Freeman
December 3rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
After watching The Abyss last night, I'm also adding Bud and Lindsey to my list---I'd forgotten what a great couple they were......

I love this film! The only slight letdown for me was the alien mothership when it surfaced.

You're right, Bud and Lindsey would be on my list. Relationships seem to work if, the couple had a relationship in the past (Bud and Lindsey), or they hated each other at first (Han and Leia).

dosed150
December 3rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
luke skywalker and mara jade when they first met she wanted to kill him they went on to get married and have a son

MarshAngel
December 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
So true. I loved these two as well. They were great together.

majorsal
December 3rd, 2005, 04:38 PM
my list:

sam/jack. this is my number ONE fave couple of all time! :D

troi/riker.

han/leia.

worf/dax.

mulder/scully.

nick/natalie (forever night).

buffy/spike.

angel/cordy.

bud/lindsay.

buck/wilma (buck rogers).

major west/judy (lost in space).

starbuck/Cassiopeia (original battlestar galactica).

dr heller/alonzo (earth 2).

janeway/chakotay.

kirk/rand (original star trek).

i think that's all for now.

sally :)

Elwe Singollo
December 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
my list:

sam/jack. this is my number ONE fave couple of all time! :D

troi/riker.

han/leia.

worf/dax.

mulder/scully.

nick/natalie (forever night).

buffy/spike.

angel/cordy.

bud/lindsay.

buck/wilma (buck rogers).

major west/judy (lost in space).

starbuck/Cassiopeia (original battlestar galactica).

dr heller/alonzo (earth 2).

janeway/chakotay.

kirk/rand (original star trek).

i think that's all for now.

sally :)Im happy you put in parenthesis where the characters are from, because wow, i never heard of Forever Knight.:cool:

MarshAngel
December 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
...i never heard of Forever Knight.

You've really missed out then. Forever Knight was great.

Janeway and Chakotay????

Lord Shiva
December 3rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
My favorite romances?

I loved the romance between the Highlander and that French woman in the Highlander show, they had SPARKS all the time. Great chemistry.

Browder/Black in FarScape, again, great chemistry.

Buffy/Angel/Spike. Again, chemistry up the wazoo.

Naeara
December 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
For me it's John and Aeryn from Farscape. They had it all and it was epic.

Madeleine
December 6th, 2005, 03:54 AM
My favourite SF ship is Wash/Zoe, but I wouldn't call it a romance. A romance is more like Aeryn/John, where the relationship takes on storylines of its own. There were setbacks, and at times it looked like a no-go. But there is a happy ending for them, and in that sense it's not just a romance, but romantic too I s'pose.

White Knight
December 7th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Why has no one mentioned Church and Tex?!? That's gotta be one of the best ships of all time!

CHURCH: From now on, if anyone's gonna make my girlfriend cranky and moody, its gonna be me!
TEX: Aww, Church, that's so sweet.
CHURCH: Shut up, b****.
TEX: A**hole.

Ahh...can't you feel the love? All the time-travelling and the quests and the robot-killing...:D

Ascended Times.2
December 8th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Since Lost technically counts as Sci-fi...

Kate/Sawyer

Charlie/claire

Mal/Inara (Aw...)

Leia/Han (Just, so well done! :))

Tom/ B'Elanna (Took me 3 goes to spell her name right...)

Daniel/Vala (So much Dala fun!)

I havan't seen Buffy or Angel yet...so, no shipping from there.

Maybe i'll think of more, maybe I won't...hmm.

ShadowMaat
December 8th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Relationships seem to work if, the couple had a relationship in the past (Bud and Lindsey), or they hated each other at first (Han and Leia).
I think it's because it helps make it seem more realistic. With a past/continuing relationship, just knowing there's a background (even if you don't necessarily see it), helps to establish the characters.

One of my favorite ships of all is Michael/Lisa on Now & Again. The premise is that a man is (almost) killed in an accident and his brain is transplanted into a younger, stronger (and altogether hotter) gengineered-to-be-perfect body as part of a secret government project. The only catch is, he is (or WAS) married... and he can never have contact with his family again- as far as the outside world is concerned, Michael is dead. He keeps trying anyway, of course, and while HE knows who he really is (and we the audience know) his wife/widow doesn't- she just sees some crazy young man following her around and trying to be "helpful"... and yet she still finds herself strangely drawn to him. It was a great twist on the usual romance angle and I loved it. And it helped that Eric Close and Margaret Colin had great chemistry. :)

And the hate angle works, too. It's used a lot more and it can be very trite if done wrong, but when you get it right it's wonderful to watch. Relationships aren't easy- they aren't all sunshine and roses and they don't all happen instantaneously. Or perfectly. Most real relationships, from what little I've seen, tend to be messy, and the hate-turns-to-love reflects that.

Crichton
December 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Yeah, the scene where Bud refuses to give up on CPR...it really makes you wonder if more people would be saved if everyone tried that hard.

the fifth man
December 8th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, the scene where Bud refuses to give up on CPR...it really makes you wonder if more people would be saved if everyone tried that hard.

I had forgotten just how good that movie was until I saw it the other night. Definitely an awesome couple, in the end anyways.

warmbeachbrat
December 9th, 2005, 12:02 PM
And the ulimate romance?

Catherine / Vincent (Beauty and the Beast) (So romantic it was practically Harlequin. It was brief (2 1/2 years... well, 2 yrs, technically. If you know the show at all, you'll know what I mean) and not many remember this one, but I watched it every Friday. It was unique for a series. I haven't seen anything like it on TV since and wish desperately it would come out on DVD)

~cp

*sigh* Me too!

ShadowMaat
December 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Y'know, I never saw how the last episode ended. I was ordered to bed by my evil parents. ;) I DID smuggle my walkman into bed and at the very very low end of the band the audio broadcast for channel six (where the show aired) was available, but it's hard to make sense of JUST the audio if you can't put it into context and I think I got busted by my dad halfway through because I never heard the end. Or maybe I gave up in frustration, hearing lots of yelling and scuffling and not being able to figure any of it out. ;)

I'm not interested in the show anymore, but that always kinda niggled at me.

Other good scifi romances, hmm... Ned/Verity in To Say Nothing of the Dog. One of my top five favorite books. Lots of wonderful and wacky elements and a romance threaded through it which is classy and comical at the same time.

warmbeachbrat
December 9th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Y'know, I never saw how the last episode ended. I was ordered to bed by my evil parents. ;) I DID smuggle my walkman into bed and at the very very low end of the band the audio broadcast for channel six (where the show aired) was available, but it's hard to make sense of JUST the audio if you can't put it into context and I think I got busted by my dad halfway through because I never heard the end. Or maybe I gave up in frustration, hearing lots of yelling and scuffling and not being able to figure any of it out. ;)

Those last couple of episodes blurred together for me, and I can't remember exactly what happened, either. All the more reason for the DVD!

Other good scifi romances, hmm... Ned/Verity in To Say Nothing of the Dog. One of my top five favorite books. Lots of wonderful and wacky elements and a romance threaded through it which is classy and comical at the same time.

I hesitate to admit it, but I just couldn't get into that book. I'm finding that the only Connie Willis novels that I like are the ones she wrote with Cynthia Felice. Have you read any of those? "Promised Land" was really quite good. It had a rather gentle love story that took a while to develop, but had a very satisfying ending. I do like her short story collections, though--so I can't be totally hopeless, right?

Missster.Freeman
December 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM
One of my favorite ships of all is Michael/Lisa on Now & Again. The premise is that a man is (almost) killed in an accident and his brain is transplanted into a younger, stronger (and altogether hotter) gengineered-to-be-perfect body as part of a secret government project. The only catch is, he is (or WAS) married... and he can never have contact with his family again- as far as the outside world is concerned, Michael is dead. He keeps trying anyway, of course, and while HE knows who he really is (and we the audience know) his wife/widow doesn't- she just sees some crazy young man following her around and trying to be "helpful"... and yet she still finds herself strangely drawn to him. It was a great twist on the usual romance angle and I loved it. And it helped that Eric Close and Margaret Colin had great chemistry. :)

I can't believe me of all people is posting in a shipper type thread :P I admit I'm not really a shipper.

Yeah, I remember Now and Again. That was an excellent programme :) I initially watched the show because of his superhuman abilities. Then I realised the entire show revolved around Michael and Lisa and their past relationship. I loved watching those interactions with each other... it made for some great comedy moments :D Eric Close and Margaret Colin certainly did have great chemistry. On-screen relationships only work if the actors have good chemistry imo. For example, Ben Affleck and J-Lo definitely did not! :P

Traveler Enroute1
December 14th, 2005, 01:43 PM
My favorite romances?

I loved the romance between the Highlander and that French woman in the Highlander show, they had SPARKS all the time. Great chemistry.

Browder/Black in FarScape, again, great chemistry.

Buffy/Angel/Spike. Again, chemistry up the wazoo.

Sam/Jack- I got it from the beginning and still works for me.

Duncan and Tessa fr Highlander tv series, yes. (*gulp* I'm agreeing with a Lord Shiva romance...help:p )

Angle/Buffy (no Spike in that mix for me)- really well done beginning, middle and ending

Aeryn/Chricton - dynamic couple

Wash/Zoe- cause their love shined like a star -

Just sayin', *sigh*

White Knight
December 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Angle/Buffy (no Spike in that mix for me)- really well done beginning, middle and ending
Yup. Buffy sure did love her angles.

Lopez/Shiela was always a good, entertaining little romance.

LOPEZ: Hola.
SHIELA: Hello. My name is Shiela, the M808V Main Battle Tank.
LOPEZ: Soy Lopez, el pesado.
SHIELA: Lopez...waht a nice name for such a nice soldier.

Giantevilhead
December 15th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese - It was destiny, a predestination paradox. John Connor sent Kyle Reese back so that Reese and Sarah can conceive John.

Dorka
December 16th, 2005, 02:31 AM
I'm not very lucky with SciFi romances bc mostly I see the connection between people other don't or it's just impossible that they'll come together...but here is my top-list:

Elizabeth/John: I'm very positive about these two :D

Jack/Sam: Not anymore as positive but hope never fades...

Jean/Wolverine: I know the end of the comics but I still prefer Logan over the other guy

Mulder/Scully: My first ship

Beka/Dylan: I think they'd be a really nice pair...

leaper
December 16th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Captain Kirk and whatever female alien of the week..
Sci-Fi romance if ever I've seen it.

Jonisa
December 19th, 2005, 04:23 AM
I have to echo what some others on this thread have already said. When I think of greatest scifi romances, from the movies and shows that I've seen, anyway, I immediately think John/Aeryn. No one else, IMO, even comes close. That was epic.

After those two, I would put Han/Leia.

Sarah Connor/Kyle Reese is a good one too. I hadn't thought of them but theirs was a great as well, in part because of the whole destiny/tragedy thing, but they also had smokin' chemistry.

After that, I'm stuck. I've enjoyed a lot of scifi romances, but there aren't any others that I would label "great". Most were fun, or sweet, or a little melodramatic. A couple were cringe-inducing, for me anyway, but that happens. :p

Threads like this always remind me of movies/shows/books that I haven't had the chance to experience yet though.

*Wanders off to add a few items to my Christmas list.*