PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Mini-Series

D.C.
July 14th, 2004, 01:59 PM
What's your favourite sci-fi/fantasy mini-series? Also is that remake of The Thing still in production at Sci-Fi?

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Taken?
FareScape: Peacekeeper war will prolly be good
The 4400 looks interesting.

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 02:28 PM
The New Battlestar Galactica

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Yes, that was really good.

AgentX
July 14th, 2004, 03:19 PM
V. That was just really great television.

V: The Final Battle, wasn't as good - but still was enjoyable enough to watch

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 03:32 PM
The final battle was good in the sense that it set us up for the series. I loved BSG (N) way better than the old version.

greytop
July 14th, 2004, 05:38 PM
That was mine too. Cain't wait unitl the series come out next year.

joshing123
July 15th, 2004, 08:37 AM
That's almost difficult to answer because I recall loving some sci-fi miniseries from when I was young, but I don't necessarilly remember their names because I haven't seen them since! And then I'm not sure if they were movies or miniseries. :S

That I can remember,
Both V series
Amerika
New Battlestar Galactica
Both Dunes
(So far) The 4400

D.C.
July 15th, 2004, 03:52 PM
I think The Shining and the Storm of the Century are pretty cool. Battlestar Galactica was pretty awesome as well. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 15th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I've always heard The Shining was scary, but what exactly is the movie about?

D.C.
July 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but the mini-series is about a family becoming caretakers of a hotel during winter. The resorts snowed in so there are no guests. The hotel has a pretty screwed up past and is inhabited by ghosts. The main character slowly starts going crazy and tries to kill his family. His son has this ability called 'the shining' that allows him to talk with others with 'the shining' in his mind. It's pretty cool. The mini-series is worth tracking down. :)

Anthro Girl
July 15th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I've always heard The Shining was scary, but what exactly is the movie about?
READ THE BOOK! It's better than either the film or the mini, although Kubrick's film was very good.

joshing123
July 16th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I think The Shining and the Storm of the Century are pretty cool.

You must work for The Sci-Fi channel :) The Shining is horror not sci-fi or fantasy.

I never saw the miniseries. I saw the movie when I was a kid and it completely freaked me out. I had a nightmare that my birth father came and chopped me & my sister up w/an axe! I slept in my mother's room for a week. She wasn't too happy that my older siblings had let me watch it.

Elwe Singollo
July 16th, 2004, 09:25 AM
READ THE BOOK! It's better than either the film or the mini, although Kubrick's film was very good.Wasn't it about... A hotel, and how the dad went crazy, and their child was running away, and blah blah blah. The dad saw like ghosts or something that told him what to do, but i think i'm confusing that with something else...

D.C.
July 16th, 2004, 04:38 PM
You must work for The Sci-Fi channel :) The Shining is horror not sci-fi or fantasy. Good point. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 18th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Although it could be one of those movies that would air on scifi :)

July 19th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I'm ofcource gonna go with Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children Of Dune!!!

aschen
July 19th, 2004, 04:18 PM
The Dunes!

DownFallAngel
July 19th, 2004, 05:27 PM
The Dune remake was really good. I liked Children of Dune also. The original Dune bored me, being it was so long and colorless.

BSG is still the bomb thought!

KorbenDirewolf
July 20th, 2004, 09:57 AM
V & the Final Battle

Markey2
July 20th, 2004, 12:08 PM
This is hard, there have been so many good Mini-series events on Scifi lately. BSG & Taken are the ones I have seen and I happened to love both. Currently watching the 4400 which is AMAZING sorry had to do that. If you havn't seen it, all I can say is you should! It keeps getting better and the plots really engaging. Check the website here (http://www.the4400.com/)

Wrathox
July 20th, 2004, 01:38 PM
I'll go with Dune. BTW I'm really looking forward to Earthsea.

aschen
July 20th, 2004, 03:00 PM
I'll go with Dune. BTW I'm really looking forward to Earthsea.

Me too. That and the new Farscape.

Gigi Edgley is HOOOT.

Torley
July 21st, 2004, 12:23 AM
Like anime, the plots for Stephen King books can look REALLY dumb if you map them out in a few brief sentences, no matter how hard you try. You really have to experience them for yourself, like The Matrix -- there's a certain suspension of disbelief that comes with my favorites like The Dark Half and The Raft but it sounds sooo scary when you get deep into the characterization. Stephen King is a master of the macabre in crafting tales about an everyman/everywoman fighting against some great force of evil. He is such a horror powerhouse, and as such, is synonymous with the genre. But for whatever reason, his works don't translate well to the big or small screen most of the time. One reason being because his text descriptions really play on your fears and imaginations, but watching TV don't really cut it. Like he himself said, and I'll paraphrase this: "Look closely enough and you can *always* see the zipper on the monster's back." :D

Anthro Girl
July 21st, 2004, 01:03 AM
I agree, Torley. The best film adaptations of King's works have been mostly his non-horror stuff (Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Stand by Me, Hearts in Atlantis). Even when it is "horror", like The Shining or Carrie (the original movies, that is) most of the story is missing. Only an excellent screenwriter and talented director can make up for that, but fans of the books will always know how much was cut out. I shudder to think that Desperation and The Talisman are currently being developed for TV and film, respectively. There is so much at risk in that, IMO.

Spaceminx
July 22nd, 2004, 09:01 AM
I didn't think there'd be many mini-series to choose from but this thread has proved me wrong. V (including The Final Battle) is my favourite.

"For victory. Go tell your friends!"

VirtualCLD
July 22nd, 2004, 09:08 AM
I've always heard The Shining...

"Shhhh!! It's the SHINNING, the shinning, do you wanna get suuuued" :: spoken in Scottish accent ::

Loved both Dune mini-series, very very good.

Didn't like New Battlestart Gallactica that much, actings needs some help. There's still hope for the series though.

D.C.
July 22nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
The Shining can be considered fantasy... maybe. :)

Anthro Girl
July 22nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
The Shining can be considered fantasy... maybe. :)
It certainly is fantastical :eek:. However, in the genre wars, I believe it's considered "horror". Still a better book than a Kubrick movie, but it never should have been a tv miniseries.

There's a tv miniseries for ya: The Genre Wars: Good Snotty-Film-Intellectuals Gone Bad! :D

D.C.
July 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
But the actual ability of telepathically speaking to another person is fantasy. :) I liked the mini-series. I've never seen the Kubrick movie though. :)

Anthro Girl
July 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
But the actual ability of telepathically speaking to another person is fantasy. :) I liked the mini-series. I've never seen the Kubrick movie though. :)
It's actually quite the classic ghost story with a little telepathy thrown in. ;) Unless you have a problem with blood (not gore...the movie is not gory), then I recommend the movie. There are different versions in US, UK and Australia, though, so I'm not sure which one you'd get. :o

Back on-topic, I think someone here mentioned V - The mini series. Loved that, although it plays so corny now. The complete TV series is coming out soon and I'll probably rent that just for fun.