Lost, in the Gap? ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost, in the Gap? ;)

As I'm watching the new ep of Lost, it occurs to me....these people aren't lost at all!!

I've seen a lot of TV shows about people being stranded on one island or another, but those people seem like they're actually lost more than these people. I mean, think about it:

1. A doctor for each plane - how convenient. Do doctors ride planes like those plain clothes FBI agents too or what?

2. Hair and clothes. Now, I haven't seen Michelle's character yank out a brush once and still she looks like she could do a Vogue photo shoot as is. In fact, everyone looks pretty hot to me, not all crusty and skinny and wilted looking like people really would. I remember on Survivor - which I don't believe is entirely real anyway - this one white guy came there looking like he could climb Everest, in a few days he was a toothpick covered in bruises and bug bites.

3. Food and shelter. Suddenly everybody's a boy scout, making fires where real people would be looking around desperatly for a lighter, catching chickens (that seemed to drop from nowhere by the way) when others would scrounge for something slower moving and preferably filled with preservatives, forming rafts after...how many days has it been, when others...ok, the raft thing might work, but I doubt to the extent of techy-ness that one was.

I mean...isn't it just a tad unbelieveable that people who should still be staggering around the beach are so together? Shouldn't there be a "wander aimlessly, swat at mosquitos, whine about missing Stargate and gripe about wanting your electric shaver" phase?

4. Then the way people instantly start barking out orders to one another. Do this! Do that! Where are the people rebelling and instead deciding to strike out on thier own or diving into the sea screaming "Take me already Lord!!!"

5. And where's all the technology coming from? This seems more like "Strand the Actors" instead of "Lost", I'm not surprised if they come out with a Gap "Lost" fashion line. "Get Lost, as fashionably as possible.

And another thing that surprises me is that unlike in a real plane crash where survivors would be few and far between, at least 3 dozen of these people plop down from the sky, rockin and rollin and ready to fight the invisible monster thing.

Now, I'm not knocking the show, if it didn't interest me, I wouldn't be watching it or making icons of it's characters, but it just seems like it could be a tad more realistic without making it impossible for the characters to push the story onwards.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

I agree with much of what you say.
    Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
    Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

The pitfalls of a modern day screenplay
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

It wouldn't be much of a show if everyone died from lack of food and mylaria.
        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

and that's why Oz was on one of those pay extra channels (can't remember which one). if they wanted to make it wholey realistic, people would have started eating each other by now.
          Save us from danger, save us from evil
          Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

well I guess. Watching it more now I get it's not really about realism...rather ...something involving slightly worse for wear but nevertheless good looking actors getting chased by kidnapping invisible people? Well, I can see realism isn't really a part of it so, ignore me. I watched Island of Dr Moreou too many times.
            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Well, #1 about Jack and the suit. It was because he was going to a funeral, duh

#5 - the stuff in the hatch and yadda-yadda.

And the rest... Umm... look! A flying pigeon!

*runs*

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

*sends invisble marty-munching critter after*

You all know I'm right!
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

It would seem that the fact that so many of them survived with barely a scratch is somehow accounted for in the show's mysterious plot, seeing how they've written that very observation into some of the dialogue of the characters. Was it Locke who was telling Jack, something to the extent of: 'Can it really be a coincidence that so many of us came through with only minimal injuries?' In Locke's case, not only was he not hurt in the crash but after the crash, upon arriving on the island his previous disability miraculously disappeared! There must be a very unusual factor operating on the show's events, which they're not explaining to us yet.

As for the hair and clothing thing, that's almost to be expected from TV, isn't it? They figure we don't want to stare at a bunch of dirty, ragged, greasy-haired people every time we tune in. They may be half right, although I do tolerate that kind of thing without a thought in, say for example, the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Of course you have to take into consideration that it's actually trickier in some ways to have 'messy' characters on a show, because it gets complicated for the hair and make-up people. For continuity's sake, you've got to have the dirt and the state of the wind-blown hair identical for every take. You wouldn't have that trouble on a 'reality' show like Survivor. And of course they wouldn't have the Lost characters too starved-looking for health reasons. (I mean, are you going to starve the actors?)

As for the characters' reactions post-crash, I do agree they have been a bit mild. Especially the not-a-main-character-survivors, who seem to take everything sheep-like and in stride. That's part of what I liked upon seeing the tail-end survivors 40 days on the island, they were in a more desperate situation and descended into more of a vicious, 'tribal' state. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiret
                    In Locke's case, not only was he not hurt in the crash but after the crash, upon arriving on the island his previous disability miraculously disappeared! There must be a very unusual factor operating on the show's events, which they're not explaining to us yet.
                    Ack, that's true, I forgot about that one. Normally all his bones would get broken the rest of the way, yeah? Yeah, as I watch the show more, I've kind of come to accept that things won't be too "realistic". They're realistic for a TV show, but a lot of the time, while you're wondering how one plot line fits with the other, what the numbers mean, etc etc, you start wondering petty things like, "wouldn't that peanut butter have gone bad by now? Exactly how long has it been sitting in that bunker?" Or, "Just how much ammo is on that Island anyway?" Or, "How'd he get his jeans clean so fast?" Hehe. I tend to sniff out that stuff.

Of course, I would miss the horse trainers hand scene glitch.

That's part of what I liked upon seeing the tail-end survivors 40 days on the island, they were in a more desperate situation and descended into more of a vicious, 'tribal' state. Anyway, those are my thoughts.
                    The tailies alone forgive the inconsistances...mostly.
                    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I was just thinking that Hurley's suitcase must be safe and sound because unless he shrinks significantly, should anything happen to his clothes, he would be wondering the jungle in a loin clothe made of leaves. He won't be fitting into anyone else's clothing.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
                        It wouldn't be much of a show if everyone died from lack of food and mylaria.
                        no but it'd be funny as hell, and leave viewers confused and scratching their heads.

if i were a network exec, I'd play a joke on the public like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                          no but it'd be funny as hell, and leave viewers confused and scratching their heads.

if i were a network exec, I'd play a joke on the public like that.
                          LMAO! Spoof time! And then Syd from Alias could be sent there on a mission to find out what happened to all these poor bozo's, and the fellows from CSI or something could pop by....ohhhh, so many possibilities!
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                            LMAO! Spoof time! And then Syd from Alias could be sent there on a mission to find out what happened to all these poor bozo's, and the fellows from CSI or something could pop by....ohhhh, so many possibilities!
                            well, don't forget that it'd have to take place in real time, with a female president, a taxi cab driver with OCD, and a hilarious white-trash neighbor named carl from new jersey

Comment

Stop! I can't breath! LoL!
                              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Working...
                              X