PDA

View Full Version : The Ancient Alphabet (I got it!)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sgeureka
July 14th, 2004, 08:08 AM
I bought the last DVD (R2) of S7 yesterday and while watching the Atlantis Preview I had the idea that the Ancient alphabet that they were using there could be translated into the Latin alphabet. I was right (and really bored to be willing to do this).

With that, I was able to "translate" what is written on the stairs in front of the Atlantis gate ( http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/gallery/images_11.html ). It reads (the latter lines on the picture were sometimes upside-down and cut off at the ends):

WE HOLD THE SEAS THE THRUTH
A HEARTY WELCOME TO THOSE OF OTHER WORLDS
VISITING OUR HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME (W)ELCOME AGAIN
(...ABSENCEH) AS WEIGHED HEAVILY ON OUR SOUL SWEAR (E..)
(...HOSE) RETURNING YOU Y HAVE BEEN GONE TOO LONG (ANI...)
(...E) FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT (TAE...)
(...AE) YOU ARE AMONG US AND WE CELEBRATE (Y**BER...)

It's possible that this picture isn't exactly what will finally be on the show, although what I could see on the DVD is that it is at least very similar.

Woohoo! I always thought the letters were mere rubbish :)

Last EDITs:
This thread will be closed shortly. The new The Ancient Alphabet (I got it!) and other alphabets Part II (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13522) thread can be found here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13522). All Ultimate Alphabet posts are there, too.

Here is a letter and numeral chart (http://hometown.aol.de/SGEureka/Ancient_Letters_and_Numbers_Comparison.jpg) of the Ancient Alphabet (which is complete now).

VirtualCLD
July 14th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Hmmm... seems kind of convenient it's in English. When I was first reading your post, I thought you translated the letters from Ancient to Lattin (which you did) and then translated the resulting Latin phrases into English. Now that would really be time consuming (and you would probably have to be very bored to do that, unless you're fluent in Latin).

Mio
July 14th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Wow. you must have more free time on your hands than I do....

Ugly Pig
July 14th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Wow, cool! Way to have too much time on your hands! :D

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Too much time, or a very cool job :)

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Wow, thats cool. Nice post. Very interesting. I always thought that was some crazy light design, but its a cool quote. I like: "FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT", thats a cool part. Nice job.

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Respect the worlds, but not its people.
*cough* Orlin and his doings *cough*

Or maybe the godcomplex kicked in.

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Orlin did try and help the people. It was just that, the Ancients/Acendeds beleive they should not interact on our level, probably for fear that we would be come corrupt and evil like the Goa'ulds.

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 11:44 AM
But when the people started attacking other worlds with the weapon, shouldn't they also respect that too?

Cause otherwise they could start attacking earth for using ancient knowledge and the defensive weapon. Or the Goa'uld for using crystals...

This could be twisted and turned along time:>

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Well, Orlin's people only attacked the Goa'uld infested worlds I thought? But respect for life should always be held at a high standard.

As for the Goa'uld stealing the crystal technology, if I were an Acendant, I don't know what I would have done. Look at the good and bad it has done. So I am kinda confused on that point.

Damn your twisting and turning!

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I am good at that, confusing people... or making them mad.

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 11:58 AM
You did niether to me, you just made me think about what I posted. So its cool.

**EDIT**: Changed coo to cool. For aAnubiSs

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 11:59 AM
It's coo?!

Now you're making me mad!

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Why? Why do I make you mad!?

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 12:08 PM
you misspelled cool. Coo? Do I look like a chicken or something?! :P

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 12:28 PM
My bad. I will change it promptly.

aAnubiSs
July 14th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Now you're cheating too:P

po134
July 14th, 2004, 12:49 PM
yeha, this language is so creasy :D not very easy to understand but if you can take an enlarge picture of the gate [I've seen it in the lowdown or in the dvd xtra i dont remember] it ll be fun to have each sentence completed....

anyway, nice job :D

Positively Kanyon
July 14th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Here's a challenge for you SGEureka... Reckon you could translate the wall from "Torment Of Tantalus" for us? :D I'm interested to know if they thought that far back to make a language.

DownFallAngel
July 14th, 2004, 03:48 PM
That would be awesome!

Here is an image of it, I think. (http://www.stargatefan.com/episodes1/0110/images/112.jpg)

Selmak
July 14th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Here's another challenge for you SGEureka... see if you can translate some Asgard objects. The wall in "Torment Of Tantalus" also has Asgard on it in addition to Ancient. The stone objects that control Asgard technology have some sort of writing on them too. The Asgard language looks very similar to Norse Runes.

Chevron_nine
July 14th, 2004, 07:30 PM

Nice work. I think the first part should be "Absence has weighed"

and the second is probably "Those returning"

F is not equal to U if you look carefully the U is a bit fatter on the part that sticks out..

sgeureka
July 15th, 2004, 03:44 AM
I've checked "The Torment of Tantalus", where the Ancient letters are very different (much wider) to what the stairs have on them. The Ancient letters from the episodes "Windows Of Opportunity" and "Heroes Part1" are different from TToT and the stairs but are the same within these two episodes.

I don't plan on doing the Norse alphabet right now but maybe I will do that later (much later).

Nice work. I think the first part should be "Absence has weighed""
Thanks. I was so obsessed with the "AS" that I would never have seen that.

And I've checked it, what's on the picture from scifi.com is indeed what we'll see in the episodes. Except for the upside-down (not mirrored, as I've said) lines, which were fixed. There are many more stairs at the side of the gate that I couldn't read so there will be much to "translate" over the next eight ;) seasons of Atlantis.

(...) ABSENCE HAS WEIGHED HEAVILY ON OUR SOULS WE ARE (...)
(...(t)HOSE) RETURNING YOU Y HAVE BEEN GONE TOO LONG AND (...)
(...E) FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT THE (...)
(...AT) YOU ARE AMONG US AND WE CELEBRATE YOU BE (I...)

There is more under these steps that I could get from the DVD (although the preview was very blurry and shaky):

(...) AND TO ACT WITH INTEGRITY AS AMBASSADORS IN PEACE ****
(...(t)RAVELLERS) WITH OPEN HEARTS WILL ALWAYS BE WELCOME REFUGEES
(...) WORLD AND ALL WE MAY EVER KNOW WE WILL (ALW(ays)...)

The Ancient letter "K" looks like a bold "1".

F is not equal to U if you look carefully the U is a bit fatter on the part that sticks out..
No, that was just the compression of the bmp-file to jpg. The two letters are the same. :)

DownFallAngel
July 15th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Have you tried decyphering it with the letters going up/down, instead of side to side?

Selmak
July 15th, 2004, 09:42 AM
The console of the "Puddle Jumper" has Ancient writing on it... see if you can decipher it.

Here's a high res pic (http://scifi.about.com/library/graphics/af11.jpg)

Chevron_nine
July 15th, 2004, 10:30 AM
No, that was just the compression of the bmp-file to jpg. The two letters are the same. :)
Just to clear things up, I'm referring to the actual stairs, not your translation chart. I can see a difference between the two letters and to me I can see a difference in their thickness. from what I know about JPEG compression, I don't think it would make some letters look fatter than others, especially at relatively low compression rates.

Mio
July 15th, 2004, 10:32 AM
The console of the "Puddle Jumper" has Ancient writing on it... see if you can decipher it.

Here's a high res pic (http://scifi.about.com/library/graphics/af11.jpg)
I tried to, right to left, since it's upside down....This monitor that i'm on ATM sucks, but I gave up after getting TTE?PT?AT???(V?)

Chevron_nine
July 15th, 2004, 10:50 AM
The line closest to Shepard and Ford reads ...Attempt Gate Entry...

The closest I can get to the other is

TO*OCOLSMUST(B)*(Y)ETBEFORELAF

the one's in ()'s I'm not sure about.

Some of my letters might be wrong. to me it seems like it should say Protocols must be set before ...

maybe if I get really good at this I'll be able to read stuff on screen in real-time.

It'll also look good on a resume.
languages: English, French, Ancient

Mio
July 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I'll also look good on a resume.
languages: English, French, Ancient
Rofl. Just learn Furling and Asgard and Nox and you'll be set.

chiefchucky
July 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM
You are a very smart person SGeureka

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Learning how to speak Asgard seems.... hard

DownFallAngel
July 15th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I would love to speak Spanish/Romance Languages, Ancient, Asgard, and Elvish. That would be awesome!

Chevron_nine
July 15th, 2004, 12:13 PM
On looking at the letters even closer I think I'm probably wrong about the F and U thing. my mind is just playing tricks on me:)

Selmak
July 15th, 2004, 02:05 PM
What about Ancient numbers?

KayMan2k
July 15th, 2004, 02:28 PM
The closest I can get to the other is

TO*OCOLSMUST(B)*(Y)ETBEFORELAF

the one's in ()'s I'm not sure about.

Just playing around with the letters...
TO*OCOLS MUST (B)(E) (S)ET BEFORE LA(U)(N)(C)(H)

GateWard
July 15th, 2004, 02:42 PM
By the way I think the first line is not this...

"WE HOLD THE SEAS THE THRUTH"

but rather this....

"WE HOLD THESE AS THE TRUTH"

Even though we all like the seas thing since it is about Atlantis...I think the later makes more sense...especially since Atlantis was originally on Earth and probably not submerged in an ocean or sea. I think they are talking about the rest of the following sentences as their "truths"...or what they live by.

This is fun....more, more, must have more! :)

chiefchucky
July 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I should learn the ancient alphabet by heart and start writing my school work in ancient. That would really throw my teachers for a loop lol.

Ugly Pig
July 15th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Yeah - and your grades too, I'll bet. ;)

Selmak
July 15th, 2004, 03:12 PM
This is fun....more, more, must have more! :)

I agree... we should have some more material to translate/decipher tomorrow when Atlantis premiers.

chiefchucky
July 15th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Yeah - and your grades too, I'll bet. ;)
Well I get bad grades anyway maybe one of them is a stargate Fan and then I'd get good grades

VirtualCLD
July 15th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I've decided to take on a small (I hope) project that might help you with doing you're HW in Ancient. We'll see how far I get.

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I want to learn Noxish and Furlingish. And I want to learn to speak Asgard.

Nonmnonomnoumnomnonmunouomn or something like that :)

VirtualCLD
July 15th, 2004, 04:59 PM
OK, so maybe I won't finish tonight, but I started recreating the Ancient alphabet with a Font editor/creator. When I'm done, I should have I font I can use in Windows for programs like Word. If anyone cares, I can e-mail you the font when I'm done. On the otherhand it does sound kind of silly.

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Silly? It sounds awsome!

[email protected] when you are done :)

Chevron_nine
July 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM
I also started working on a font, but I gave up on that seeing as you are doing the same. I already recreated the letters into 12x36 pixel black & white images so if you want them I'd be glad to send them over.

po134
July 15th, 2004, 05:37 PM
woah really you're very very smart ! [Ok, the dvd helps u lol] anyway, I hope u'll be able to translate to us the ancients dialecte that we'll see during both season, especially this friday with the 2 hours premiere of atlantis ! ;)

Thx aigain and nice work

KayMan2k
July 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I should learn the ancient alphabet by heart and start writing my school work in ancient. That would really throw my teachers for a loop lol.

Simplier yet, start making an Ancient true type font and write your papers in it :)

EDIT: Posted this before I saw the replies about the fonts.

VirtualCLD
July 15th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Ok, I got a prototype version done. I left the missing letters alone, unless someone can fill in the missing letters for me. Now is about the time I wish I had a website to post files. Oh well. I can e-mail to anyone who wants it. I can only send it when I am home, so you may have to wait depending on when you PM me.

I make no garauntees on the quality of the font.

EDIT 10:40 EST: OK, tired, have to get up early tomorrow for work. Those of you who want it will have to wait, or find the two people I sent it to already and ask them for it. I'll be back tomorrow around 6:30 PM.... ish.

Mio
July 15th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Can't you attach files to the thread?

chiefchucky
July 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Ok, I got a prototype version done. I left the missing letters alone, unless someone can fill in the missing letters for me. Now is about the time I wish I had a website to post files. Oh well. I can e-mail to anyone who wants it. I can only send it when I am home, so you may have to wait depending on when you PM me.

I make no garauntees on the quality of the font.

EDIT 10:40 EST: OK, tired, have to get up early tomorrow for work. Those of you who want it will have to wait, or find the two people I sent it to already and ask them for it. I'll be back tomorrow around 6:30 PM.... ish.
You are AWESOME!! Now my teachers will be stupified and I will be the smarter!!! Muwhahahahaha(or maybe I'm just crazy).

Selmak
July 15th, 2004, 09:35 PM
***The Ultimate Ancient Alphabet Post***

NOTE: The Ancient Alphabet only works for Ancient writings found in Atlantis (and even there, not always). It doesn't work for Ancient writings found in SG-1 ("Torment of Tantalus", "Window Of Opportunity", "Fifth Race", "Chimera", "Heroes", "Lost City"... etc.). It is possible that they are older dialects of Ancient since it seems they have the same style but are different.

Ancient letters are found everywhere in Atlantis (stairs, puddle jumpers, computer consoles, door openers). Ancient numbers are found on Atlantis consoles (http://scifi.about.com/library/graphics/sam35.jpg).

**The Ancient Alphabet originally deciphered by sgeureka**
NOTE: We are missing the letters Q,X,Z.

Ancient Alphabet And Number Chart by Markey2:
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/AncientAlphabetAndNumbers.jpg

Observed Ancient grammar rules:
1) There are no spaces.
2) There are no capital or lower case letters.
3) There is no punctuation.

Atlantis staircase translation: (http://scifi.about.com/library/graphics/sam10.jpg) (In some scenes the letters on the stairs appear to be upside down... but are later corrected.)
01 WE HOLD THESE AS THE TRUTH
02 A HEARTY WELCOME TO THOSE OF OTHER WORLDS
03 VISITING OUR HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME (W)ELCOME AGAIN
04 ABSENCE HAS WEIGHED HEAVILY ON OUR SOULS WE ARE
05 TO THOSE RETURNING YOU Y HAVE BEEN GONE TOO LONG AND YOUR
06 AS WE LEAVE FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT THE LANDS OF
07 WHOLE AGAIN THAT YOU ARE AMONG US AND WE CELEBRATE YOU BEING HERE AGAIN
08 OUR NEIGHBOURS AND TO ACT WITH INTEGRITY AS AMBASSADORS IN PEACE TIME
09 OF OUR PEOPLE TRAVELLERS WITH OPEN HEARTS WILL ALWAYS BE WELCOME REFUGEES
10 INHABITANTS OF THIS WORLD AND ALL WE MAY EVER KNOW WE WILL ALWAYS STRIVE TO
11 FROM TYRANNY MAY SEEK SHELTER UNDER OUR ROOF AND (?NAT) OUR PEOPLE WILL LAY
12 DOWN THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT THE WEAK AND THE JUST LET THIS BE OUR PLEDGE TO THOSE
13 COME IN PEACE AS WE GO IN PEACE AND YOU WILL BE WELCOME ON OUR SITES FOREVERMORE

Puddle Jumper console translation: (http://scifi.about.com/library/graphics/af11.jpg)
PROTOCOLS MUST BE SET BEFORE LAUNCH
ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

There is also a lever in the back portion on the Puddle Jumper that opens that back hatch that says EJECT.

*Here's the comparison of all the fonts to date*

To install the fonts:
for Windows: unzip the file to C:\Windows\Fonts\.
for Mac OS X "Panther": unzip the file and double click it, then click install.

Chevron_nine's Font: Times New Ancient (http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/ChevronFont.zip)
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/ChevronFont.jpg

VirtualCLD's Font: Ancient Virtual (http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/VirtualFont.zip)
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/VirtualFont.jpg

WurdBendur's Font: Anquietas (http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/WurdFont.zip)
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/WurdFont.jpg

WurdBendur's Font: Ancient Hand (http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/WurdHand.zip)
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/WurdHand.jpg

Selmak
July 15th, 2004, 09:38 PM
You are AWESOME!! Now my teachers will be stupified and I will be the smarter!!! Muwhahahahaha(or maybe I'm just crazy).
smarter... I don't know about that... try to type a paper of any length without J,K,U,X,Z.

Selmak
July 15th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Hopefully we can eventually get the remaining letters and then master ancient!!!

sgeureka
July 15th, 2004, 11:18 PM
anyway, I hope u'll be able to translate to us the ancients dialecte that we'll see during both season, especially this friday with the 2 hours premiere of atlantis ! ;)
That would be the problem. Officially, I won't be able to watch anything of Atlantis before March 2005 (at the earliest). And download files are of too bad quality to decipher anything. :(

New stuff I could decipher (in red):

(...E) FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT THE LANDS OF
<snip>
(...) AND TO ACT WITH INTEGRITY AS AMBASSADORS IN PEACE TIME
<snip>
(...) WORLD AND ALL WE MAY EVER KNOW WE WILL ALWAYS STRIVE (...)
(...) LOST UNDER OUR ROOF AND (KNAT...)

Anyway, I've added the "K" to the letter chart (The new more complete chart is in my first post. I don't know how to add attached files that already exist in other posts, to this post.)

sgeureka
July 15th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Just playing around with the letters...
TO*OCOLS MUST (B)(E) (S)ET BEFORE LA(U)(N)(C)(H)
Yes, very close :)

(...P)ROTOCOLS MUST BE SET BEFORE LAUNCH (...)
(...) ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY (*T...)

or something like that :)

Torley
July 16th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Give these people a DANIEL JACKSON AWARD! :) This is really cool how you figured it out.

Kind of reminds me of Futurama with it's own alphabet in the show that had many secret messages.

Thor
July 16th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Hey, this is great work!
Anyone got the font already? please mail it to: gcr-dragon 'AT' gmx 'DOT' de (AT = @ and DOT = .)

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Getting a little bit paranoid about spam mail are we?=)

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Nice job at translating. THis is awesome. And yes, you should get some kinda of DJ award. Michael Shanks should arrive at your house to hand you an award, a check, and take a picture, thats what should happen...in theory.

Thor
July 16th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Getting a little bit paranoid about spam mail are we?=)
Indeed :lol:

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 07:05 AM
I gave one to Selmak who said he'll post it on his website with a link. I tried attatching the file to the forum but it's too big (54 kB). The forum file attatchment tool is limiting me to 39.4 kB. I'm at work now and won't be home untill 6:30 EDT or in about 7 and half hours. I haven't added K yet, maybe someone else can take the file and modify it. It looks OK for now, but could use some more work. I would also like to (unofficially) nominate sgeureka for a DJ award. Here Here!

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 07:58 AM
I can host the file. No problem at all.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 08:18 AM

NOTE: The Ancient Alphabet only works for Ancient writings found in Atlantis (and even there, not always). It doesn't work for Ancient writings found in SG-1 ("Torment of Tantalus", "Window Of Opportunity", "Fifth Race", "Chimera", "Heroes", "Lost City"... etc.). It is possible that they are older dialects of Ancient since it seems they have the same style but are different.

Ancient letters are found everywhere in Atlantis (stairs, puddle jumpers, computer consoles, door openers). Ancient numbers are found on Atlantis consoles (http://scifi.about.com/library/graphics/sam35.jpg).

1) There are no spaces.

Atlantis staircase translation: (http://scifi.about.com/library/graphics/sam10.jpg) (In some scenes the letters on the stairs appear to be upside down... but are later corrected.)
12 DOWN THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT THE WEAK AND THE JUST LET THIS BE OUR PLEDGE TO THOSE
13 COME IN PEACE AS WE GO IN PEACE AND YOU WILL BE WELCOME ON OUR SITES FOREVERMORE

Puddle Jumper console translation: (http://scifi.about.com/library/graphics/af11.jpg)
ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

There is also a lever in the back portion on the Puddle Jumper that opens that back hatch that says EJECT.

To install the fonts:

Chevron_nine's Font: Times New Ancient (http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/ChevronFont.zip)

VirtualCLD's Font: Ancient Virtual (http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/VirtualFont.zip)

WurdBendur's Font: Anquietas (http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/WurdFont.zip)

WurdBendur's Font: Ancient Hand (http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/Fonts/WurdHand.zip)

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Is it for Mac or Windows?

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 08:30 AM
I'm using it on a Mac. Some of the characters seem to be spaced out unevenly.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 08:30 AM
I think you can use it on a PC.

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Sorry, I did it for Windows because that's what i was using.

chiefchucky
July 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Know all I have to do is learn Latin!

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM
It may be made for Windows but it works on a Mac... Some of the characters in my version seem unevenly spaced... is it the same for everyone or is it because I'm using it on a mac?

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 08:45 AM
If someone else also wants to play with it, feel free. I can also try and tweak it a bit when I get home. Maybe I can look at the spacing and see if it is a problem and if so, try and fix it.

I left non-letter chars alone. I didn't know what to do about numbers or punctuation, but so far we haven't seen an example of either in Ancient.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 09:15 AM
I just saw the end part of the s7 DVD Atlantis special when the producer guy is pointing out the stairs of Atlantis and says it doesn't matter what it says because no one on earth speaks Ancient... we do hahaha.

Kaloo
July 16th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Off topic but how do you add a new font

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 10:27 AM
On a Mac... if you have Panther... double click the file.
FontBook is a great app.

Thor
July 16th, 2004, 10:38 AM
On a Windows machine drag & drop the file to C:\Windows\Fonts

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Hmmm... not on my home computer now. I have Windows NT 4.0, but it might be same for 2000/XP. Got to control pannel, then double click on Fonts. Under the File menu should be an option to install new fonts. Not sure though.

I had a question for sgeureka:
Did you have anything to work off of when trying to figure out what glyph represented what letter (i.e. were there any glyphs that you found that were already proven to be a letter) or did you go through the entire Ancient text and find repeated glyphs and try out different letters untill you started forming real words?

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 10:43 AM
you can't drag a file out of a zip right into windows's font folder...at least i don't think you can.

unzip the file to the desktop

open c:\windows\fonts\

drag the file into the fonts folder, and it'll install

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Sure u can, depends on what program you use to unzip it with.

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM
I'm talking about windows XP's built in zipping thing, and only because Windows treats the fonts folder differently.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 11:09 AM
try winzip or stuffit

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 11:13 AM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Wow, you're telling me. Looks like I need to work on it some more. I'll have to make a version update from 0.5 to 0.5001 :D

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 11:22 AM
yeah... the characters look fine for the most part... the spacing is just a little screwy.

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 11:59 AM
try winzip or stuffit
both suck. I like winrar, but I let windows take care of zip files.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I don't use XP anymore because it... sucks. On the Mac I use Stuffit... it works very well. When it comes to compression and uncompression of .zip I let OS X handle it.

KayMan2k
July 16th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Yes, very close :)

(...P)ROTOCOLS MUST BE SET BEFORE LAUNCH (...)
(...) ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY (*T...)

or something like that :)

DOH! As a computer science major I am hitting myself over the head for not figuring out Protocols! Argh! Nice find!

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Ok, got the new version updated, K has been added and the spacing has been fixed up a bit. I'm going to see if I can post the file somewhere on the internet so everyone has access.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I'll have to e-mail it to people untill I find away to host the file somewhere.

Teal'c
July 16th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I commend you, this is truely cool. *runs away to figure out why Ancient is just coded English* :P

uknesvuinng
July 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I commend you, this is truely cool. *runs away to figure out why Ancient is just coded English* :P
English is the universal language created by the Ancients. It was put into the seeded human genepools to develop over time, as well as taught to their allies, so that everyone could communicate. The Goa'uld learned it after taking hosts and the rest is Stargate history.

Heh, I was just making junk up but it sounded pretty cool.

Chevron_nine
July 16th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Well, I've decided to still release my font, There's a few things that just don't look right to me in VirtualCLD's font. This is my re-creation from scratch. The spacing is very close, just like the spacing on the stairs and other places. I've made up my own letters for the ones which are currently unknown. I also made up some Ancient numbers. If you look closely most of them are modeled after normal letters and numbers. This should be more useable, than having a few ordinary letters thrown in. When the unknown letters are decoded I'll update my font. Enjoy, the file is attached.

Edit: I seem to be having some problems with the attachment... I'm trying to fix it. Does it open properly when you guys download it? I always get a corrupted file. It seems for me it will only download properly if I use a download manager.

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Hey, how come your file is so much smaller?

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks both fonts are cool. Chevron_nine's is closer to actual ancient.

Teal'c
July 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I'm working on a freehand version of the language right now, I might whip out the scanner and show how it looks :P

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 04:34 PM
I just e-mailed some people with the newer version, I'm going to try Chevron_Nine's. If he spent more time on it, it should probably be better.

EDIT: I like Chevron_Nine's as well, just need to update the K and it will be perfect. Oh and yes, the file downloads correctly.

Chevron_nine
July 16th, 2004, 04:37 PM
I have no idea why my file is so much smaller. That's the size it was after my font program created it. When zipped it's about 1/4 the size.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 04:37 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

VirtualCLD
July 16th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I think that's my old font. I e-mailed you my new one, but I still like Chevron's.

Chevron's Font file doesn't contain as many chars, but I left the extra chars in mine alone so they don't look ancient.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 04:42 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 04:54 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

Teal'c
July 16th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I'd be a bit weary about using any of the Ancients' stuff now, I mean, their welcome banner has a typo (it's missing a W :P)

Chevron_nine
July 16th, 2004, 05:32 PM
I'd be a bit weary about using any of the Ancients' stuff now, I mean, their welcome banner has a typo (it's missing a W :P)
But you have to remember it's Millions of years old, maybe the word "welcome" only recently evolved to be spelled with a W :p

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 05:38 PM
A gateworld ofical font! YAY!

Teal'c
July 16th, 2004, 05:42 PM
VirtualCLD, the seperated line on the G character should extend down a little more.

I'm just thinking, how annoyed would the art departement be to find out their "code" was cracked before the show even aired! :P

My own translation of the steps yielded:

We hold these as the truth
A hearty welcome to those of other worlds
Visiting our home for the first time elcome again
Absence has weighed heavily on our souls we are
hose returning you y have been gone too long and
e for distant worlds we pledge to respect the
at you are among us and we celebrate you ber

For the puddle jumper I got:

rotocols must be set before lau
?r attempt gate reentry

I practically know the symbols off by heart now! :D

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Controlls must be set before launch?

__ attempt gate reentry?

Wonder what that means.

CelticPhantom
July 16th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Actually I think it's protocols not controlls but im not sure if that makes more or less sense.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 06:50 PM
"protocols" could mean that the puddle jumper has something like a GDO to deactivate the shield around the Atlantis gate.

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Yea, that makes alot more sense.

KayMan2k
July 16th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Now that we've seen the entire step text, anyone got a VCR and a lot of time? Lets see what the whole passage is.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Post the screen caps from the stairs here so we can translate it.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Hopefully we can hear some spoken Ancient in Atlantis so we can associate characters to sounds... and speak Ancient.

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 09:00 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

Selmak
July 16th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Idea for Chevron_Nine and/or VirtualCLD:
Since we have not seen any indication of Ancient capitals or punctuation, I think it would be cool if capital letters and punctuation in the font were the 39 Atlantic Stargate symbols. Think about it hit caps lock and turn you keyboard into a DHD.

sgeureka
July 17th, 2004, 01:04 AM
I had a question for sgeureka:
Did you have anything to work off of when trying to figure out what glyph represented what letter (i.e. were there any glyphs that you found that were already proven to be a letter) or did you go through the entire Ancient text and find repeated glyphs and try out different letters untill you started forming real words?
No, I think at the second viewing of the Atlantis Preview on the DVD (#37), my mind was somewhere else (as always ;) ), and the name of Torri Higginson was displayed like this: Some weird letters (from the Ancient alphabet) and then two seconds after that "Torri Higginson [newline] Doctor Weir". And I thought it would be funny if those random letters would mean something. The letters at the second and fifth position were the same, and the sixth and the tenth letter were the same, so it was very much possible that those "random" letters said "DOCTORWEIR".

That was my starting point. I then took a few screen captures and worked out the rest:

(These are the names that were displayed in the preview, in chronological order. Everything in capital letters after the "-" was displayed in Ancient letters.)
Preview to Atlantis - PREVIEW TO
[...] - STARGATEATLANTIS
Robert Cooper, Executive Producer - CREATOR
Brad Wright, Executive Producer - CREATOR
James Robbins, Art Director - ARTDIRECT
Martin Wood, Director - DIRECTOR
Torri Higginson, Doctor Weir - DOCTORWEIR
Rachel Luttrell, Teyla - ANCIENT (don't ask me why)
Rainbow Sun Francks, Lieutenant Ford - LIEUTFORD (this was only the second word I tried to decipher and it gave me quite a headache because it wasn't immediately apparant that F=U)

Then I remembered that I had a picture on my hard drive with a few Ancient letters on the stairs; the letters there were the same and made sense there, too (YES!!!). It completed my chart a little more (that's why all "letters" on my chart are in different colors), and the rest is history.

Just to encourage others: What's written on the stairs is in English, just with an Ancient font. It is not written in Latin, and I did not translate it in the common sense (I don't even know Latin). I just deciphered the font as far as I was able to. (A big thanks to all the people in this thread for contributing :) )

Anthro Girl
July 17th, 2004, 01:28 AM
sgeureka,
Wow! Great work! I bet the art department is annoyed! :D I think it's funny that the Ancient writing is just different letters in English, but I think that actually makes it easier for the art dept to spit that stuff out for sets.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops. Or if they'll stick jokes in in Ancient. Something like "Where is Carter when you need her?" :p

Chevron_nine
July 17th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Rachel Luttrell, Teyla - ANCIENT (don't ask me why)

Maybe this is a hint at something that will be discovered in the future.

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Coming up with screenshots...gimme a few.

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I've been trying to get a good shot of that blueish screen of the city behind McKay when he's telling everyone about the ZPM issues...but it's so small and blurry :(

High definition would really have helped...

...I'm seeing if there is any more ancient writing in the episode.

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 09:04 AM
How about this? It's from when Weir goes outside to talk with sheppard.

it would appear that the pattern is repeated on the above bordery thing to the left when the camera pans around a bit a few seconds later.

Kaloo
July 17th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Numbers maybe???

Thy arent in ouyr letter in Cheveron_nine's index

Calicto
July 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Good job... seems like the show peops actually did something cool for once... for the fans...

VirtualCLD
July 17th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Rainbow Sun Francks, Lieutenant Ford - LIEUTFORD (this was only the second word I tried to decipher and it gave me quite a headache because it wasn't immediately apparant that F=U)

I'm surprised that works. If it had been me (and I could be wrong here) I would have thought that it did indeed say LIEFTFORD since the British style is spelled Lieftenant, not Lieutenant. However, if F=U works with everything else, I guess it's right.

EDIT: I did record the show on my computer, so I can post screenshots, however, I don't know how good they will be (I don't recieve Sci-Fi in HD, nor do I own an HDTV-tuner card).

Chevron_nine
July 17th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I'm surprised that works. If it had been me (and I could be wrong here) I would have thought that it did indeed say LIEFTFORD since the British style is spelled Lieftenant, not Lieutenant. However, if F=U works with everything else, I guess it's right.

It's not spelled any differently lieutenant is just pronounced left-tenant.

VirtualCLD
July 17th, 2004, 12:58 PM
That's odd, because I've seen it spelled lieftenant. The person who wrote it like that must have been wrong.

sgeureka
July 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this develops. Or if they'll stick jokes in in Ancient. Something like "Where is Carter when you need her?" :p
That's what I was hoping for initially. :) Something like "Empty Spaces" from Pink Floyd or "Fire on High" from ELO. Or something like "Call 555-1234 to win a Stargate cup" or "Check our website at www.scifi.com". :)

So, I checked the preview from beginning to end (sometimes frame by frame) and I couldn't find more than the following. If no new high-resolution(!) pictures appear somewhere, I will call this the end, at least to what I could get from the DVD.

So after all the deciphering and letter-guessing, this is all I found for the stairs (13 steps in all, new stuff in red):

01 WE HOLD THESE AS THE TRUTH (or WE HOLD THE SEAS THE TRUTH, but that makes less sense)
05 (...) THOSE RETURNING YOU Y HAVE BEEN GONE TOO LONG AND (...)
06 (..E) FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT THE LANDS OF
07 (...N) THAT YOU ARE AMONG US AND WE CELEBRATE YOU BEING AT IT AGAIN
08 (..TABOURS) AND TO ACT WITH INTEGRITY AS AMBASSADORS IN PEACE TIME
09 (...LT) TRAVELLERS WITH OPEN HEARTS WILL ALWAYS BE WELCOME REFUGEES
10 (...) KNOW OF THIS WORLD AND ALL WE MAY EVER KNOW WE WILL ALWAYS STRIVE (...)
11 (...) LOST UNDER OUR ROOF AND (KNAT...)
12 (......)
13 (......)

I found another stair (just the top step of one of the side stairs) and unfortunately, it just said gibberish:

(...)LBOHMNK~OHMNK~IURYGB WONY(...) with ~ = Ancient letter "R", just upside down

In the preview, there was also a blue screen with a map of Atlantis in the background and floating letters, so I think that was what that one "Rising" image in this thread was about. Besides lots of gibberish, it said:

WHERE OH WHERE HAS MY LITTLE DOG GONE OH WHERE
THE WILDERNESS

(I am not kidding! :) )

Anthro Girl
July 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM
In the preview, there was also a blue screen with a map of Atlantis in the background and floating letters, so I think that was what that one "Rising" image in this thread was about. Besides lots of gibberish, it said:

WHERE OH WHERE HAS MY LITTLE DOG GONE OH WHERE
THE WILDERNESS

(I am not kidding! :) )
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! That's great!!!!

We haven't gotten the DVD here yet, so thanks for checking!

Visno
July 18th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Hope this helps you out

http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/2.jpg

Xerom
July 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Wow..this is incredible stuff. How do you people even begin to know which character was which :S

sgeureka
July 19th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Hope this helps you out

http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/2.jpg
Yes, it does. Thanks. :)

It completes the 5th through 7th step (although there no longer appears to be a connection between the single steps :( ):

Markey2
July 19th, 2004, 02:15 AM
03 VISITING OUR HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME WELCOME AGAIN
08 (..TABOURS) AND TO ACT WITH INTEGRITY AS AMBASSADORS IN PEACE TIME
09 (...LT) TRAVELLERS WITH OPEN HEARTS WILL ALWAYS BE WELCOME REFUGEES
10 (...) KNOW OF THIS WORLD AND ALL WE MAY EVER KNOW WE WILL ALWAYS STRIVE (...)
11 (...) LOST UNDER OUR ROOF AND (KNAT...)
12 (......)
13 (......)

The above is what I have now I think. You beat me to it Sgeureka! I just got line 6 and was about to post it. I found that this (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/graphics/photo03.shtml) pic on Gateworld has some quite easy to see characters. Although if you look to the right of Teyla's right foot (line 5) there appears to be some characters which don't match up to the alphabet font we currently have. One looks like a flipped "D" (bigger on top than the bottom) and one looks like a rotated "G". Also the last character before Sheppards' leg on that line appears to be a flipped "T".

Anyway that's what I think anyway, well done on line 5 and 7 btw!

sgeureka
July 19th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Although if you look to the right of Teyla's right foot (line 5) there appears to be some characters which don't match up to the alphabet font we currently have. One looks like a flipped "D" (bigger on top than the bottom) and one looks like a rotated "G". Also the last character before Sheppards' leg on that line appears to be a flipped "T".
Yes, when the promo shots were taken, a few lines were upside down. The image I tried to decipher in my first post also had this mistake. Then someone from the set must have noticed the mistake and corrected it before/while they were shooting the arrival in Atlantis (see Visno's screen capture from Rising a few posts ago, without the screw-up). :)

@VirtualCLD
Didn't you want to post a few screen captures? Were they of too poor quality or are you still working on it? ;)

Also, I did notice that those things (posts?) right and left to the gate may have some writing on them, but since those aren't backlit and are out of focus on everything I've seen so far, I can't really tell.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Poor quality. I may try playing with them some more, but I'm not sure if I can get a good picture of them (darn my fuzzy cable signal!!) I could be wrong but Ithink it was fuzzier than normal Friday nightof the Atlantis premiere.

Markey2
July 19th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Ah that explains it! I can't believe I didn't guess they might have been upside down! Doh! At least we pretty much know the first 7 lines. May I say a big well done on your effort sgeureka, the font is fab and your work on decoding it at first is quite amazing! :D

Livi2Jack
July 19th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Awesome!

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 02:43 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

VirtualCLD
July 23rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
N__C_Y__NLBVW__

That's all I could make out if it. It might be gibberish, I don't know.

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 03:07 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

Harlan
July 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
" Waw ! This is cool ! " (Maj. J. Sheppard)

I have said exactly the same thing when I discovered this Topic, and those fonts, and those translations ... WOW ! Pretty impressive ! Nice work ;) !

So, do you think now we could be able to translate what's written on the P4X-639 Time Loop Device
(4.06 Window of Opportunity) :D ???

http://www.stargate-net.ch/sg1/galerie/saison_4/406/406_007.jpg

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
Those characters look different then the ones found in Atlantis... it is probably an older dialect.

Teal'c
July 23rd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Those characters look different then the ones found in Atlantis... it is probably an older dialect.
Or upper case :P Seriously, do D and d don't like very alike...

And those letters look like gibberish to me, I don't know any words with n, l, b, v and w together like that :P

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
My point wasn't that it meant something... I was trying to point out the new characters I found.

Anthro Girl
July 23rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
Good answer! :p

dannyh
July 23rd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Had to create my own little signature using this awsome font, to the creator of the font, YOU RAWK!

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 05:00 PM
To my knowledge there are no spaces in ancient... I think I'm getting good at reading ancient... I read your signature without any reference... ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

dannyh
July 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
so i should remove the spaces.. hows this? lol

Anyways.. its really cool how u guys translated it, im looking forward to future episodes w/ more text =)

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Me too!!

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
But it still bothers me that we are missing 4 letters (J,Q,X,Z)... I found 4 unknown letters (check above posts) we just need to match them.

sgeureka
July 23rd, 2004, 09:49 PM
A friend was so kind to get "Rising" for me, and besides the Ancient letter "J", I got very much of the last steps.

Ancient J = upside down Ancient R (I fixed the letter chart in my first post accordingly)

11 FROM TYRANNY MAY SEEK SHELTER UNDER OUR ROOF AND (KNATOU...) WILL LAY
12 DOWN THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT THE WEAK AND THE JUST LET THIS BE (O...) TO THOSE
13 COME IN PEACE AS WE GO IN PEACE AND YOU WILL BE WELCOME ON OUR (E...) EVERMORE

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 09:55 PM
Wow... thanks... great work... Now we're only missing Q,X,Z

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Here is a pic of the stairs from Hide and Seek... I noticed some unknown letters:
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/pics/weir.jpg

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Good pic, although a little blurred

sgeureka
July 24th, 2004, 12:23 AM
I just noticed another thing. As I've said before, there doesn't seem to be a connection between the single steps. But there may be if you alter the order of the steps. I am getting rid of the all-in-uppercase and tried to include punctuation for an easier read, but since you probably know English better than me, I may be way wrong here with the order (and I am not even pretending that I think my order is right, because obviously, it isn't). We may have to wait until steps 11-13 are complete, but anyway: Happy juggling! :)

01 We hold these as the truth:
02 A hearty welcome to those of other worlds.
06 As we leave for distant worlds, we pledge to respect the lands of
08 our neighbours and to act with integrity as ambassadors in peace time
05 to those returning. You Y have been gone too long and your
03 visiting our home for the first time. (W)elcome again
07 whole again that you are among us, and we celebrate you being here again.
04 Absence has weighed heavily on our souls. We are
10 inhabitants of this world, and all we may ever know, we always strive to
09 Of our people. Travellers with open hearts will always be welcome. Refugees
11 from tyranny may seek shelter under our roof and (knatou...) will lay
12 down their lives to protect the weak and the just. Let this be (o...) to those
13 come in peace as we go in peace and you will be welcome on our (e...) evermore.

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 12:26 AM
It makes a little more sense than before.

sgeureka
July 24th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Here is a pic of the stairs from Hide and Seek... I noticed some unknown letters:
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/pics/weir.jpg
They must have filmed that before "Rising" (the letters on that one step are upside down again, oh and on another one, too).

Those are the stairs of the "normal" stairwell, as you can read "WORLDS" in the top line.

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Good pic, although a little blurred
The Ancient characters can be made out clearly... Some of them are not in our Alphabet as of yet... we are still missing Q,X,Z.

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Yeah, the alphabet is clear, good pic also!

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 12:33 AM
They must have filmed that before "Rising" (the letters on that one step are upside down again, oh and on another one, too).

Those are the stairs of the "normal" stairwell, as you can read "WORLDS" in the top line.
There are some strange characters on the third line down close to Weir... and another strange one over her shoulder... they don't look like upside down versions of our current Alphabet.

insomniac8400
July 24th, 2004, 02:09 AM
This seems to make the most since if you just read it bottom stair first all the way to the top. It will probably flow better once all the words are deciphered and we find out when and where sentences begin and end.
13 come in peace as we go in peace and you will be welcome on our (e...) evermore.
12 down their lives to protect the weak and the just. Let this be (o...) to those
11 from tyranny may seek shelter under our roof and (knatou...) will lay
10 inhabitants of this world, and all we may ever know, we always strive to
09 Of our people. Travellers with open hearts will always be welcome. Refugees
08 our neighbours and to act with integrity as ambassadors in peace time
06 As we leave for distant worlds, we pledge to respect the lands of
05 to those returning. You Y have been gone too long and your
04 Absence has weighed heavily on our souls. We are
03 visiting our home for the first time. (W)elcome again
02 A hearty welcome to those of other worlds.
01 We hold these as the truth

dannyh
July 24th, 2004, 06:48 AM
I think the translation chart got burried somewhere in this mass number of posts, as I couldnt find it, do you mind reposting it?

sgeureka
July 24th, 2004, 10:09 AM
There are some strange characters on the third line down close to Weir... and another strange one over her shoulder... they don't look like upside down versions of our current Alphabet.
But they are. :)

First line (not upside down): WORLDS (from line 02: ...OF OTHER WORLDS)
Second line (upside down): ITINGOURH (from line 03: VISITING OUR HOME ...)
Third line (upside down): EHASWEIG (from line 04: ABSENCE HAS WEIGHED...)
Fourth line (upside down): ...GYOUYH (from line 05: ... RETURNING YOU Y HAVE...)

sgeureka
July 24th, 2004, 10:17 AM
I think the translation chart got burried somewhere in this mass number of posts, as I couldnt find it, do you mind reposting it?
I will always have the most up-to-date chart in my first post (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=56210&postcount=1) in this thread.

Shortcut to the chart (at the moment): http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=239

dannyh
July 24th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I will always have the most up-to-date chart in my first post (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=56210&postcount=1) in this thread.

Shortcut to the chart (at the moment): http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=239

Thank ya kindly

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

TheDude
July 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I played around with re-arranging the lines, and this is the ordering that seems to make the most sense.

1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 7, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 10, 13.

Here is the re-arranged text (from a previous post):
12 DOWN THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT THE WEAK AND THE JUST LET THIS BE (O...) TO THOSE
13 COME IN PEACE AS WE GO IN PEACE AND YOU WILL BE WELCOME ON OUR (E...) EVERMORE

And here is my version with lowercase letters and punctuation added where I guessed that they should go:

"We hold these as the truth:

A hearty welcome to those of other worlds visiting out home for the first time.
Welcome again to those returning: you have been gone too long, and your
absence has weighed heavily on our souls. We are whole again (now) that
you are among us, and we celebrate you being here again.

As we leave for distant worlds, we pledge to respect the lands of our neighbors,
and to act with integrity as ambassadors in peace-time of our people. Travellers
with open hearts will always be welcome, refugees from tyranny may seek shelter
under our roof, and (knatou...) will lay down their lives to protect the weak and the just.

Let this be (o...) to those inhabitants of this world, and all we may ever know: we will
always strive to come in peace as we go in peace, and you will be welcome on our
(e..) evermore."

Now, we just need to figure out those last few remaining words! Woot!

Praxus
July 24th, 2004, 12:32 PM
What makes you think the Ancients still based their alphabet off of the latin alphabet?

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM
What are you talking about? It's just coded english... and we deciphered most of the stairs so it works. In the show spoken Ancient is based on Latin. Obviously written Ancient is based on English... the characters are just different.

sgeureka
July 24th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I played around with re-arranging the lines, and this is the ordering that seems to make the most sense.

<snip>
Wow, that's great. Makes very much sense. :) :) :)

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Here is the re-arranged text (from a previous post):

And here is my version with lowercase letters and punctuation added where I guessed that they should go:

"We hold these as the truth:

A hearty welcome to those of other worlds visiting out home for the first time.
Welcome again to those returning: you have been gone too long, and your
absence has weighed heavily on our souls. We are whole again (now) that
you are among us, and we celebrate you being here again.

As we leave for distant worlds, we pledge to respect the lands of our neighbors,
and to act with integrity as ambassadors in peace-time of our people. Travellers
with open hearts will always be welcome, refugees from tyranny may seek shelter
under our roof, and (knatou...) will lay down their lives to protect the weak and the just.

Let this be (o...) to those inhabitants of this world, and all we may ever know: we will
always strive to come in peace as we go in peace, and you will be welcome on our
(e..) evermore."

Now, we just need to figure out those last few remaining words! Woot!

It all makes sense now... THANKS!

Sam_o_Neill
July 24th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I bought the last DVD (R2) of S7 yesterday and while watching the Atlantis Preview I had the idea that the Ancient alphabet that they were using there could be translated into the Latin alphabet. I was right (and really bored to be willing to do this).

With that, I was able to "translate" what is written on the stairs in front of the Atlantic gate ( http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/gallery/images_11.html ). It reads (the latter lines on the picture were sometimes mirrored and cut off the ends):

(...E) FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT (TAE...)
(...AE) YOU ARE AMONG US AND WE CELEBRATE (Y**BER...)

It's possible that this picture isn't exactly what will finally be on the show, although what I could see on the DVD is that it is at least very similar.

Woohoo! I always thought the letters were mere rubbish :)

To anyone who is interested, here's a translation picture (with most common letters, with F=U, EDIT: includes letter "K", EDIT#2: includes "J") :Wow its great how you managed to do that!!
How did you work out which letter each symbol represented??

It would be great if you were able to translate the text from 'Torment of Tantalus' :D and what about the tablet from Chimera?? see if it really does mention the Lost City :P

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Wow its great how you managed to do that!!
How did you work out which letter each symbol represented??

It would be great if you were able to translate the text from 'Torment of Tantalus' :D and what about the tablet from Chimera?? see if it really does mention the Lost City :P
The way it is translated now... it only works with Ancient writings from Atlantis (and some of it is gibberish anyway) ... The Ancient writing from 'Torment of Tantalus' seems to be read up and down rather then left to right... and the writing from 'Window of Opportunity' looks slightly different as well... They are probably older dialects... even if we managed to translate it... it would probably turn out to be gibberish. The tablets from Chimera and Full Circle may be able to be translated if you have a good high quality pic.

Praxus
July 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM
What are you talking about? It's just coded english... and we deciphered most of the stairs so it works. In the show spoken Ancient is based on Latin. Obviously written Ancient is based on English... the characters are just different.

That makes no sense, exspecially considering English is a mostly Germanic language. But whatever, justa show:)

uknesvuinng
July 24th, 2004, 01:44 PM
The way it is translated now... it only works with Ancient writings from Atlantis (and some of it is gibberish anyway) ... The Ancient writing from 'Torment of Tantalus' seems to be read up and down rather then left to right... and the writing from 'Window of Opportunity' looks slightly different as well... They are probably older dialects... even if we managed to translate it... it would probably turn out to be gibberish. The tablets from Chimera and Full Circle may be able to be translated if you have a good high quality pic.
Probably newer dialect on the time machine, considering the plague wasn't a problem in Atlantis's time, and the machine seemed to be for taking care of such a disaster. Ernest's Planet, maybe old, maybe new, depends on your idea of when the alliance took place in relation to Atlantis.

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 01:46 PM
The dialect on Atlantis would be the newest... since the Ancients left Atlantis for Earth and died off soon after.

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
That makes no sense, exspecially considering English is a mostly Germanic language. But whatever, justa show:)
It doesn't make sense but that's how it works!

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 01:48 PM
That's how all shows work, they don't make sense but they are shown anyway!

Sam_o_Neill
July 25th, 2004, 01:13 AM
I do remember seeing quite a good picture of the tablet but I can't remember whereit was so i'll go do a search for it now....hopefully i'll find it..

Sam_o_Neill
July 25th, 2004, 01:38 AM
We are missing the ancient letters for J,Q,X,Z:
I found 4 unique characters... I don't know what they stand for...

http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/pics/j.jpg http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/pics/q.jpg http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/pics/x.jpg http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/pics/z.jpg
Have you got any larger images?? I can't really make out those characters :confused:

Osiris
July 25th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Great job everyone! :)
That would be great to update the font with the newly discovered character...

Iskandra
July 25th, 2004, 05:55 AM
I've already tried tp transcribe the stuff on the blackboard from Window of Opportunity, but whatever it was, it was *not* the Latin text underneath it....

Anubis
July 25th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Yeah, that text wasn't the same

VirtualCLD
July 25th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Do we know exactly what Q,X, and Z are yet? I've been updating my font (I've decided to leave Chevron's alone b/c he knows his better than I do) and I wanted to try and aadd Q,X, and Z. I've already updated J as well as some spacing. Just want to know about the last three letters.

Sam_o_Neill
July 25th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Selmak found 4 unique letters and he posted them in an earlier post but they are very difficult to see and he wasn't able to work out which one went with which letter :S We will probably have to wait for a few more episodes of Atlantis before we get enough text to find those letters.

VirtualCLD
July 25th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Ok, so here's an update of my font. Q,X, and Z are still missing (so I left them in there original form). I also played with spacing and shape to get the letters to look better and cleaner. No sure what to do about Q,X, and Z for now, hopefully we'll get better screen shots in future episodes.

EDIT: Attachment removed and added to a later post.

Selmak
July 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

Selmak
July 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Selmak found 4 unique letters and he posted them in an earlier post but they are very difficult to see and he wasn't able to work out which one went with which letter :S We will probably have to wait for a few more episodes of Atlantis before we get enough text to find those letters.
I took that pic from the Ancient Door-Opener thing... if you look closely there are a few unique characters... one looks sort of like the Q in Chevron's Font, there is another that looks like a Z and there are a few others... but we have determined the console is gibberish so I don't know...
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/pics/ancient.jpg

VirtualCLD
July 25th, 2004, 02:16 PM
What scene was that shot of the Ancient Door-Opener taken from?

Selmak
July 25th, 2004, 03:10 PM
it's in the GateWorld "Hide and Seek" photo gallery... from when Ford was attacked... I think.

Planet Surrey
July 25th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Okay, decipher this obelisk from "Planet Surrey" where they are filming this week. Okay I know you can't read it, but it is a "genuine" ancient obelisk from the location, and there 2 large pillars and 2 smaller one all with ancient writing on them. Cool, eh?

http://members.shaw.ca/gbesales/Files/Avatars/ancientobelisk.gif

Torley
July 25th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Way cool. Looks like a board game scratched up bad but it's hard to see from this distance. Almost Braillish in some ways? Or, well... looks like a real pixel-y language. I guess that's why the Ancients knew how to work computers so early on.

By the way, I wonder if they had their own Internet? Seriously.

uknesvuinng
July 25th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Way cool. Looks like a board game scratched up bad but it's hard to see from this distance. Almost Braillish in some ways? Or, well... looks like a real pixel-y language. I guess that's why the Ancients knew how to work computers so early on.

By the way, I wonder if they had their own Internet? Seriously.
Probably so. I'd like to get a hold of one of their wireless routers :). Upside, you've got your cable anywhere on earth; downside, you're getting wardriven by people on the other side of the globe if you don't set up some good security.

sgeureka
July 26th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Ok, so here's an update of my font. Q,X, and Z are still missing (so I left them in there original form). I also played with spacing and shape to get the letters to look better and cleaner. No sure what to do about Q,X, and Z for now, hopefully we'll get better screen shots in future episodes.
Your new zip-file didn't work for me. It says it is not valid. Is that just me? I've tried several times, also with the one in Selmak's post. (EDIT: Nevermind. The zip-file in your post still doesn't work for me, but Selmak's does.)

I like the fonts of both of you guys for different reasons, but unfortunately, both of you call the font "Ancient". My computer will only display one of the two "Ancient" fonts due to the same name. Could one of you (or both) name the font something different (like "Ancient CLD" or something) ?

Also, when I woke up this morning, I noticed that I must have confused a lot of you people with saying "Latin letters". I was refering to the letter system which most of the Western world uses (unlike the Cyrillic system the Greeks and Russians use, or the Chinese letter system). I did not refer to the Ancients being Latin or something like it was said in "Fifth Race".

Sam_o_Neill
July 26th, 2004, 02:46 AM
I took that pic from the Ancient Door-Opener thing... if you look closely there are a few unique characters... one looks sort of like the Q in Chevron's Font, there is another that looks like a Z and there are a few others... but we have determined the console is gibberish so I don't know...
http://homepage.mac.com/selmak/pics/ancient.jpg
Shame its gibberish...It would of been great to find the whole ancient alphabet :S

Thanks for letting me know, I hope we get more text to translate in 'Thirty-Eight Minutes' and other eps after that :)

Anubis
July 26th, 2004, 02:48 AM
That filming set just keeps getting better!

VirtualCLD
July 26th, 2004, 05:21 AM
I'll have to check the zip file when I get home.

Teal'c
July 26th, 2004, 05:35 AM
The stuff written on the control panels in Atlantis that's just "gibberish", what if it's something like a serial code. The unknown symbols could be numbers, so one of the consoles might say JWER38.... just a thought :P

I can't tell right, but the pillars in Tynehead don't look to be this dialect of Ancient...

VirtualCLD
July 26th, 2004, 05:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing, but unfortunately, it doesn't help us decode the characters.

sgeureka
July 26th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Okay, decipher this obelisk from "Planet Surrey" where they are filming this week. Okay I know you can't read it, but it is a "genuine" ancient obelisk from the location, and there 2 large pillars and 2 smaller one all with ancient writing on them. Cool, eh?

http://members.shaw.ca/gbesales/Files/Avatars/ancientobelisk.gif
Took a while but I've checked it. The pillar is a re-use from SG-1's S7 "Heroes Part 1". Check the scene where the red-haired guy says "Dr. Jackson is going to die when he sees this." There is also a close-up of one pillar in that scene and it doesn't have "our" dialect on it. :(

Thanks anyway for sharing your pic. :)

Osiris
July 26th, 2004, 11:20 AM
That's such a great thread! We have to find out the missing letters!

Selmak
July 26th, 2004, 03:22 PM
That's such a great thread! We have to find out the missing letters!
and don't forget numbers!!! ... there i found more unknown letters then there are left to fill in the font... so it's logical to assume they are numbers.

VirtualCLD
July 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I don't know why the zip file won't work for you, that's strange. I'm putting up another zip file. It's the same exact thing, so don't feel obligated to download it if you already have it. I did change the font name to "Ancient Virtual" so as not to confuse it with other Ancient fonts. Other than that, it's still the exact same thing.

Hide and Seek SPOILER

On a side note, I was going thorugh my recording of Hide and Seek, and I did get a better view of the second half of the Ancient door control panel, it's definately gibberish so I'm not sure if it's worth posting a screenshot. Plus it's only the bottom half, not the whole thing. The symbols on some of the control panels/boards in the control room and labratories also don't make any sense. If there are any other scenes where you think there might be text of Ancient symbols, let me know and I'll see if I can get a good picture of it. I'll watch Rising again for better symbols and see if I can get any clear (aka, not too fuzzy) screenshots, but I'm not holding my breath.

Selmak
July 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

greytop
July 26th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Is there a place where we can download the font onto the our computers? I would like to have it. Also Goa'uld?

Selmak
July 26th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Is there a place where we can download the font onto the our computers? I would like to have it. Also Goa'uld?
What? to downloads the fonts from my link right click ...save as... I've noticed Goa'uld is hieroglyphics-based I have no knowledge of anyone has deciphering it... it probably means nothing... most of the writings in Atlantis are gibberish anyways.

Selmak
July 26th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry but I don't know exactly what this means... can you explain it further.
If you are asking if there is a Goa'uld font... I don't know of one
I want to get the remaining letters/numbers in Ancient... before I think about another language.

Osiris
July 26th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I'm studying egyptology at the university and I can read hieroglypic... ;) But I've enough with my studies! :p j/k

VirtualCLD
July 26th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Is it me, or is there something wrong with the stairs when viewed through the energy being?

VirtualCLD
July 26th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Alright, one last thing to add for tonight. I took a snap from the Lowdown of an interviewish type scene with Shepard. In the background is Ancient letters on stairs leading up to the gate, not the control room. Unfortunately it's gibberish, but you can definately make out one of the unknown letter on the bottom line that goes through the Sci-Fi logo (it's the first letter). The line above it is upside down but has a simmilar pattern. If you look carefully, you'll see the unknown letter there too. I'm putting up what I translated, even though it's gibberish, to help you match up the letters.

_OIYLLBOHMNKJI(F/U)RYGKOHMNKJI(F/U)RYBHOO

Chevron_nine
July 26th, 2004, 07:58 PM
I've updated my font. I changed it's name to Times New Ancient:p
I've changed the J to the correct letter. I've also changed the space and punctuation into blank characters, because we all know how much the Ancient hate spaces and punctuation. This way you can convert any text into ancient by changing the font. You won't need to remove any puctuation, it'll get done automatically.

If you have any problems with a corrupted zip file after download try using a download manager.

Selmak
July 26th, 2004, 09:08 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

Selmak
July 26th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Chevron_nine thanks for the update... but the new "J" in your font is not spaced correctly (check the pic in my previous post) and the letter "K" doesn't look correct.

Chevron_nine
July 26th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks for tips. here's the updated-updated font.

Selmak
July 26th, 2004, 09:49 PM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

Selmak
July 26th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Finally... I've finished updating my previous posts... the pic and file names are now the same throughout... now when there is a new revision I can just replace the file and not have to fix the posts... this should stop the people complaining to me about not being able to find the right link.

McKay
July 28th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I think the (o) word your missing is oath?!

The Ancient One
July 28th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Wow, I am new to this and so far it is really cool. How did anyone get the time to translate the languages.

sgeureka
July 29th, 2004, 12:30 AM
I think the (o) word your missing is oath?!
What are you refering to? If this was a shorter thread, I would change the display mode to "threaded" and there would be no need to ask, but this thread has been going on for so long... :) . Using the "quote"-feature makes it easier.

sgeureka
July 29th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Shepard. In the background is Ancient letters on stairs leading up to the gate, not the control room. Unfortunately it's gibberish, but you can definately make out one of the unknown letter on the bottom line that goes through the Sci-Fi logo (it's the first letter). The line above it is upside down but has a simmilar pattern. If you look carefully, you'll see the unknown letter there too. I'm putting up what I translated, even though it's gibberish, to help you match up the letters.

_OIYLLBOHMNKJI(F/U)RYGKOHMNKJI(F/U)RYBHOO
I think the missing letter would be a "G".

Seems like the person writing the gibberish lines was hitting only the right side of the keyboard. Unfortunately, "Q", "X" and "Z" are on the very left side (at least on English keyboards).

At least, now there is hope to finally get a view on the missing letters (if the person would use the left side of the keyboard for his gibberish). There aren't too many words the Ancients would use that contain "X" or "Z". The only word with "Q" I could think of was "SEQUENCE".

sgeureka
July 29th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Not much new here, but...

12 DOWN THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT THE WEAK AND THE JUST LET THIS BE (O...DGE) TO THOSE
13 COME IN PEACE AS WE GO IN PEACE AND YOU WILL BE WELCOME ON OUR (S...ESFOR) EVERMORE

I got those few extra letters from from re-watching "Rising", so my bet would be the lines read:

I am waiting to make this "official" until someone can make a screenshot from the lower right side of the stairs and confirm my guess. (Please? :) )

VirtualCLD
July 29th, 2004, 04:24 AM
I think the missing letter would be a "G".

Seems like the person writing the gibberish lines was hitting only the right side of the keyboard. Unfortunately, "Q", "X" and "Z" are on the very left side (at least on English keyboards).

At least, now there is hope to finally get a view on the missing letters (if the person would use the left side of the keyboard for his gibberish). There aren't too many words the Ancients would use that contain "X" or "Z". The only word with "Q" I could think of was "SEQUENCE".

No, it's definately not 'G' it's one of the unkown letters. I just don't know which one. I'll try and make a pic of it at some point, just don't know when.

EDIT: OK, got a crude drawing of the letter.

gamebeavis
July 29th, 2004, 04:30 PM
How about this? It's from when Weir goes outside to talk with sheppard.

it would appear that the pattern is repeated on the above bordery thing to the left when the camera pans around a bit a few seconds later.
Attached Thumbnails

I was looking at this. I was wondering if the letters were actualy "relief", meaning the dark parts, instead of the light parts. I you do it this way, you can make out some letters (4 maybe 5, not right side up), but, its kind of open to interpretation of which letters you get. I seem to see an "N?Z?Z?Y?" but since we dont know what Z actualy is, and since these are WAY open to interpretation, I think its just "decorative".

Sorry, the actual thumbnail is on page 6, 4th post from the bottom (not sure how to link that).

Selmak
July 31st, 2004, 04:08 AM
In 38 minutes on one of the consoles that the Czech guy was working on in the jumper I noticed there was some Ancient writing and they don't seem to be letters... maybe numbers? There was also some glowing writing on the handle Ford pulled... they looked like letters.... regrettably I don't have any pics yet.

Planet Surrey
July 31st, 2004, 02:34 PM
Took a while but I've checked it. The pillar is a re-use from SG-1's S7 "Heroes Part 1". Check the scene where the red-haired guy says "Dr. Jackson is going to die when he sees this." There is also a close-up of one pillar in that scene and it doesn't have "our" dialect on it. :(

Thanks anyway for sharing your pic. :)

Ahh. Ironically we have not seen season seven here in Vancouver. I'm not surprised to find it's a reused prop. They've been using the same "ruin" blocks for years.

I know you can't really see the individual characters in my picture - could not zoom in close enough and not enough contrast - but it is "ancient" in the same style if not the exact same character set as used in atlantis.

VirtualCLD
August 1st, 2004, 03:52 PM
I'll try and get a pic up, but for now, this is what I got on the rear hatch release. I thought the top row of slashing letters said TJECT, but on closer examination, I think it's EJECT. Unfortunately the bottom row is too maksed/blurred to make anything out, sorry.

WurdBendur
August 3rd, 2004, 09:17 PM
Hey, I'm new here, and this is my first post. Whee!
Anyway, I was having problems with my connection earlier and couldn't get this forum to load, so I wasn't able to learn the letters of the Ancient alphabet that had already been deciphered; but I did have the text from the stairs and found the image to match, so I went about the task of decoding it myself. After finally realizing that several of the lines were turned upside down, it went a lot faster. I also made a font of my own. Of course, I guess I was a little behind, but I've been looking deeper into the Ancient alphabet.

I've compared Ancient with old Italic alphabets, used to write ancient Latin and other related languages, and I've found several similarities. I'm still working on coming up with a table of correspondences between old Italic letters and Ancient letters. This could give us some idea of what the handwritten forms of Ancient would look like, as opposed to the typed/engraved style we've seen so far. And we may also be able to hypothesize some of the letters that aren't currently available to us. But this is all speculation, so we shouldn't depend on letters that we guess.

In the meantime, though, you can see old Italic alphabets at http://www.omniglot.com/writing/olditalic.htm. I'll try to make my font available sometime soon.

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
August 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Dude. You rock. What a fun thread! Thanks.

WurdBendur
August 3rd, 2004, 09:45 PM
The only word with "Q" I could think of was "SEQUENCE".

Remember, when O'neill was reading the ancient circle, he said, "Nu ani Anquietas."

Their own name for themselves contains a Q, and if Ancient is really related to medieval Latin, they should be all over the place. But if they keep using English and Gibberish, it will probably be a while before we encounter it.

By the way, I've compiled a short list of some ancient words used in the episode, "The Fifth Race".

cruvus: wrong (ill, not well)
cozar (or cosar?): leg
falatis: ability
fran (maybe fron?): head
nu: we
ani: are
Anquietas: the Ancients. the singular is probably Anquieta
ego: I, same as Latin
indeo: need
navo: new
locas: location
itium: used by O'neill in reply to Hammond's question, "Do you understand?" It could mean a variety of things, though it looks like a noun.

All of these spellings are based on normal Latin spellings of the pronunciation used in the movie. Bear in mind though, that these words were pronounced by actors who may have difficulty with Latin. Or I may not have heard them correctly. That's always possible, too.

sgeureka
August 3rd, 2004, 10:59 PM
Hey, I'm new here, and this is my first post.
Welcome. I hope you'll have much fun. :)

I also made a font of my own. Of course, I guess I was a little behind, but I've been looking deeper into the Ancient alphabet.
I am always looking forward to what people could come up with, so if you want to share your font... :) (everything except Q,X and Z has been deciphered)

Also, if you find any writings on Atlantis, be it gibberish or not, that hasn't been discussed yet, bring it on. :)

I've compared Ancient with old Italic alphabets, used to write ancient Latin and other related languages, and I've found several similarities. I'm still working on coming up with a table of correspondences between old Italic letters and Ancient letters. This could give us some idea of what the handwritten forms of Ancient would look like, as opposed to the typed/engraved style we've seen so far. And we may also be able to hypothesize some of the letters that aren't currently available to us. But this is all speculation, so we shouldn't depend on letters that we guess.
I doubt that the art department put that much effort into creating the Ancient font. I am even surprised that they even wrote anything meaningful at the main stairs. Now that they have probably already heard that some internet folks had nothing better to do than decipher the stairs so fast and that we pay attention to such details, there will most likely be more attention towards the writing from the art department in S2 (I am really positive about a second season of Atlantis, but what do I know).

In the meantime, though, you can see old Italic alphabets at http://www.omniglot.com/writing/olditalic.htm.
Cool site. Thanks.

sgeureka
August 3rd, 2004, 11:00 PM
I'll try and get a pic up, but for now, this is what I got on the rear hatch release. I thought the top row of slashing letters said TJECT, but on closer examination, I think it's EJECT. Unfortunately the bottom row is too maksed/blurred to make anything out, sorry.
You mean from the puddlejumper? Cool.

I've also tried to get something from the what-you-say-it-isn't "G" letter. I can't really make out the letter you made a drawing of, but I can't prove that it's indeed a "G" either. The pattern that you had in your post (something like WHW*OIYLLBOHMNKJIFRYGBWONVEVDAEDSRST, with * as the letter in question) is also everywhere on the stairs on the opposite side of the room, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to get a better look at this letter. Hopefully, within the next two weeks, I'll be able to get a copy of the Lowdown and see for myself. I'll get back to you then. (I can't believe I am bickering about fictional gibberish :) )

VirtualCLD
August 4th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Alright, I hope we get to see more of the stairs leading to the gate in the future, even if they are gibberish. I also thing there are ancient letters surrounding the portal/door to the PJ hanger in the cieling of the gate room, but I doubt we'll ever get a good shot of them.

SPOILER 38 Minutes

Selmak mentioned there were two lines of glowing/flashing letters on the rear hatch release pannel that Ford used to "blow the rear hatch." The top line was the one I was able to decode as EJECT, the bottom line I couldn't make out. If anyone gets a HQ shot of that, feel free to post/decode it. The relief of symbols on the circuit pannel that McKay and Zelenca sp? were working on were not letters at all, they were quite different.

WurdBendur
August 4th, 2004, 05:34 AM
No, it's definately not 'G' it's one of the unkown letters. I just don't know which one. I'll try and make a pic of it at some point, just don't know when.

EDIT: OK, got a crude drawing of the letter.

That letter seems to be taller than the others. Perhaps it has a descender? I haven't seem the image you got it from, but I'd bet it's a Q.

VirtualCLD
August 4th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Yes, it looks like it has a descender of sorts. It might be Q, it might not be, I'm not sure untill I see it in context within a word.

WurdBendur
August 4th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Okay, my font is finally ready to be released. I've substituted modern numbers and letters for the ones we haven't deciphered. I've shaped them so they don't quite match the Ancient letterforms (three blocks wide, four four blocks tall), just to distinguish them. But the font is monospaced, so they should fit neatly in with the rest.

Edit: I should probably mention that the font is called Anquietas, even though that's not the file name. That should make it much easier to find than hunting through the font menu. Also, it has spaces for all punctuation. These can be removed if they're a problem, though.

Selmak
August 4th, 2004, 10:20 AM

1) There are no spaces.

ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

To install the fonts:

Thor's Pal
August 4th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I've got a question. Is it gibberish on the pedistal for the chair?

WurdBendur
August 4th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I've got a question. Is it gibberish on the pedistal for the chair?

Hmmm . . . I remember seeing writing there, but I didn't get a very good look at it. It was either just a quick glimpse, or it was too far-off and blurry to read. Of course, I didn't know anything of the Ancient alphabet when I saw that, and I just assumed it was gibberish.

WurdBendur
August 4th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I'm kind of curious about what people think about my new font? And what about the others? How do they compare, and which do you think is most true to the letters used in SGA? Any other opinions?

Dreamin_of_Rain
August 5th, 2004, 02:24 AM
I was just reading this thread I've only read about half maybe more so I'm not sure if someone already said this. I was looking over the Alphabet and coping it into a notebook and I noticed a smilarity with the egyption alphabet (don't mind the misspellings it's 6am right now). Now the letter X isn't in it at all, but the letters Q and Z have the same symbols as K and S in the egyption alphabet. I was thinking that Q and Z might have the same symbol as K and S in the ancient alphabet since they make the same sound or at lest very close. K=Q, S=Z
It's just a 6am ponder

Iskandra
August 5th, 2004, 02:31 AM
I was just reading this thread I've only read about half maybe more so I'm not sure if someone already said this. I was looking over the Alphabet and coping it into a notebook and I noticed a smilarity with the egyption alphabet (don't mind the misspellings it's 6am right now). Now the letter X isn't in it at all, but the letters Q and Z have the same symbols as K and S in the egyption alphabet. I was thinking that Q and Z might have the same symbol as K and S in the ancient alphabet since they make the same sound or at lest very close. K=Q, S=Z
It's just a 6am ponder

I beg to differ....

We might have the same symbols for the Ancient font, as it only represents English anyway...that would make sense.

But in Ancient Egyptian, we do have two different symbols for s and z, as they were two different sounds. They only became the same sound later on. For q and k, they stayed different sounds - as in today's Arabic, where k is a normal /k/ sound, and q is a very throaty k...

aAnubiSs
August 5th, 2004, 02:32 AM
One should make a version that one is able to use on paper.

Would be so cool to type in Ancient on paper =)

Dreamin_of_Rain
August 5th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I beg to differ....

We might have the same symbols for the Ancient font, as it only represents English anyway...that would make sense.

But in Ancient Egyptian, we do have two different symbols for s and z, as they were two different sounds. They only became the same sound later on. For q and k, they stayed different sounds - as in today's Arabic, where k is a normal /k/ sound, and q is a very throaty k...

yea I didn't think it would work but it was just a thought I was doubting it was correct while typing but I had nothing better to do so I thought I would see what others thought.
:D

VirtualCLD
August 5th, 2004, 04:26 AM
One should make a version that one is able to use on paper.

Would be so cool to type in Ancient on paper =)
What do you mean, "able to use on paper"?

Do you mean something other than a wordprocessor font that you can print out?

aAnubiSs
August 5th, 2004, 04:27 AM
No, what I meant is that some of these characters aren't easy to write by hand. And starting to draw characters instead of simplifing them isn't good =)

Dreamin_of_Rain
August 5th, 2004, 04:54 AM
No, what I meant is that some of these characters aren't easy to write by hand. And starting to draw characters instead of simplifing them isn't good =)

after reading your post I looked at the letters I drew into my notebook and most of them can be simplified for easy writing and still look like the orignal characters. The only ones that would be hard is B,D,I,K,N,O,and W cause they have strange shapes to them :p but the rest would be quite easy for pencil and paper writing

aAnubiSs
August 5th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Yes, but I want all of them to be simple, hence my suggestion to simplify them somehow.

Teal'c
August 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM
I've developed my own hand-written system after so much writing *stares at pages of Ancient writing scrawled over desk* ... it's easier to do now :P

Some are easy to scribble down (A, C, F etc.) others are harder (D, W...)

WurdBendur
August 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM
I've developed my own hand-written system after so much writing *stares at pages of Ancient writing scrawled over desk* ... it's easier to do now :P

Some are easy to scribble down (A, C, F etc.) others are harder (D, W...)

I made my own system based on the resemblance I noticed between Ancient and old Italic alphabets. I'll post a table of those letters soon.

Edit: Here it is. Some of the letters are based on Old Italic, and others are just based on the ancient letters we know. My handwriting is a bit more fluid and faster to wright, but this is fairly representative of the glyphs I use.

LiquidNaquada
August 5th, 2004, 08:07 PM
how do i install a new font into word?

WurdBendur
August 5th, 2004, 08:36 PM
how do i install a new font into word?

Assuming you're using Windows, you just need to drag the font file into your Fonts folder in Control Panel. Then it should be useable in any program you run.

sgeureka
August 6th, 2004, 06:06 AM
I made my own system based on the resemblance I noticed between Ancient and old Italic alphabets. I'll post a table of those letters soon.

Edit: Here it is. Some of the letters are based on Old Italic, and others are just based on the ancient letters we know. My handwriting is a bit more fluid and faster to wright, but this is fairly representative of the glyphs I use.
I like what you've done with the "handwritten" letters. Are you doing something with old letters/writings for a living or are you just interested in such things?

sgeureka
August 6th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Hi everyone

In the beginning of this thread, someone had asked if I would be interested in decoding the Norse alphabet (which wouldn't be a problem; you can find a rune translation chart in about every good encyclopedia or somewhere online). Only a few days after that, I accidently stumbled across a German forum (http://www.sg-atlantis.info/stargate/forum/index.php?showtopic=703) where the announcement of the decoding of the Ancient alphabet resulted in a longer discussion about Norse runes. There were a couple of folks who knew the runes by heart (might have something to do with TLotR, but I don't know). They tried to decipher the Norse [Asgard] thing on the wall seen in "Torment of Tantalus" and also Thor's command console in "New Order". But everything was just gibberish and the thread there got dorment, so I didn't put any hope into the Asgard runes meaning anything and didn't even try.

Now why do I say this?

This morning, I was watching S3's "Fair Game". I am actually not a big fan of this episode (except for a few scenes), so I rarely watch it. Somewhere in the episode, Thor hands O'Neill one of those pearl-colored egg-shaped thingies the Asgard always use. There is a close-up of one of them in this scene.

As I always do when watching DVDs, I took a few screenshots, and to clean up my harddrive this afternoon, I checked the screenshots before deleting them. And the egg-thingies said (according to my encyclopedia):

SUPPORT TH...

So the Ancient alphabet isn't the first thing that the Art Department put some effort into.

If the interest in Norse runes on Stargate SG-1 is high enough, I (or someone else) can start a new thread, but if there isn't more than just the egg-thing with any meaningful writing on it, it probably wouldn't be worth it. (I've tried a few scenes of other SG-1 eps with Norse writings, but it's either just gibberish, or the (incomplete) chart in my encyclopedia hasn't got all the letters in it. If you can find something else, there is at least me who would be interested. :) )

Here's the "egg":

Daxs
August 6th, 2004, 08:26 AM
I've been waiting for one of the linguists to put up post-its with translations all over the friggin place since SG-1 but no one ever has. You have saved me an immense amount of time with the translations and new study material for the projects I'm currently working on. Thank you immensely.

Daxs

WurdBendur
August 6th, 2004, 08:32 AM
I like what you've done with the "handwritten" letters. Are you doing something with old letters/writings for a living or are you just interested in such things?

I don't really do anything for a living quite yet. It's just a hobby of mine.