• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piper Quits Doctor Who

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=33283

Piper Quits Doctor Who

Billie Piper, the pop star-turned-actress, has quit her role as Rose Tyler on the BBC's hit SF series Doctor Who, the U.K. tabloid newspaper the Daily Mirror reported. Citing an anonymous source, the newspaper said that Piper, 23, would leave the show in its upcoming third season because she doesn't want to become typecast.
    sigpic

This is about the third thread on this, one of the others is "last time in the Tardis"
    anyway, seeing as the BBC havent commented, and the source is anonymous. Not to mention this is the second time this has come about, (the same was said at the end of S1) I am not going to go too much into this, I am not saying it isnt true, just that I am not going to believe it straight off
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

rats! I thought she was good in Dr Who. First Eccleston, now her!

Comment

I doubt that its coincidence that almost the exact same report was released about Eccleston. His was partially fake (at least the reasoning), and it was released by the BBC.

Comment

Why dont they just hire actors who are going to actually commit to the show?

sigpic
          Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
          Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Good Question.
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

To be fair the sidekicks often change. I think it's exciting to get new people in, although I like Rose and would like to see a lot more of her.

But then, I'm still patiently waiting for a lady Doctor.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                To be fair the sidekicks often change. I think it's exciting to get new people in, although I like Rose and would like to see a lot more of her.

True
                And Ecclestone did commit to the show. It's not his or BBC's fault if he wanted to go a different direction with his career or got a better offer or even had something in his personal life that made him decide not to come back.
                Same with Billie Piper. If she chooses to leave, it's not lack of commitment.
                ANd it has been leaked that she worried about being typecast.(tho I'm not from the UK, so a lot of my info on this is muddled)

Comment

i don't see why she'd want to be typecast. everyone in the UK already knows her as a semi-successul/failed popstar who went on to marry chris evans.

if the show was going to do anything it would give her more fame worldwide due to the popularity of Dr Who giving her a chance of relaunching her singing career or at least give the possiblity of moving on to bigger and better things.

sigpic

Comment

To be fair the sidekicks often change.
                    Yes and that is why the Doctor needs to stay around longer this time!

Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
                      i don't see why she'd want to be typecast. everyone in the UK already knows her as a semi-successul/failed popstar who went on to marry chris evans.

if the show was going to do anything it would give her more fame worldwide due to the popularity of Dr Who giving her a chance of relaunching her singing career or at least give the possiblity of moving on to bigger and better things.
                      She was never that interested in the singing, acting was always her plan A. If this is for real then I'm surprised she quit this early, it's a pretty solid "gig" for starters.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

A lady Doctor would be a new character.

Comment

Working...
                        X