PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: SGA Season One DVD Set (US)

prion
November 15th, 2005, 03:28 AM
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=8103

EXCERPT:

Stargate Atlantis stars Joe Flanigan as the wise-cracking Major John Sheppard, who does possess a few striking similarities to Richard Dean Anderson’s Jack O'Neill. However, as the story progresses, he moves away from this mold and crafts a more emotionally involved role. The official team leader is Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson), whose past job as a treaty negotiator gives her a much-different perspective on events. She also ran the Stargate program for a short time, but quickly soured on the project and passed the reins to O'Neill. The most entertaining character is David Hewlett's neurotic Dr. Rodney McKay, who appeared several times on SG-1 as a foil to Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping). His fast-talking and quirky personality could be grating in lesser hands, but Hewlett makes his faults charming. The show’s "alien" presence is Teyla Emmagan (Rachel Luttrell), a stunning and capable leader of the nearby villagers. Although she looks human, her knowledge of the major enemy will prove extremely valuable. The other leading team member is Lieutenant Ford (Rainbow Sun Franks), who supports Sheppard on the military side of the things.

Stargate Atlantis: The Complete First Season creates the foundation for what is sure to be a successful series for many years to come. The writers battle the growing pains typical of an inaugural year and the added pressure of crafting a spin-off, but they eventually achieve success. The entire cast is solid, but special credit should be given to Joe Flanigan, who steps out of Richard Dean Anderson’s shadow and becomes an entertaining leader. David Hewlett’s lovable McKay continues to steal the show on nearly a weekly basis and becomes even more likable as the year progresses. Torri Higginson and Rachell Luttrell also shine as strong female characters who succeed through brains and muscle, respectively. A solid collection of recurring characters expand the series’ scope and allow the stories to tackle more ambitious concepts. The possibilities for upcoming seasons are endless, and I expect the actors and writers to improve on the effective first year and present entertaining, insightful sci-fi adventures well into the future.

Rating for Style: A
Rating for Substance: A-

COMMENTARIES
Rising (Parts 1 and 2): Director Martin Wood and Actor Joe Flanigan
Hide and Seek: Actors Rachel Luttrell, Torri Higginson, and Paul McGillion
Thirty Eight Minutes: Actors Rachel Luttrell and Paul McGillion
Childhood's End: Writer Martin Gero and Actors Rachel Luttrell and Rainbow Sun Francks
The Storm and The Eye: Director Martin Wood, Writer Martin Gero, and Actor David Hewlett
The Defiant One: Director Peter DeLuise and Stunt Coordinator Dan Shea
Hot Zone: Writer Martin Gero and Actors Rachel Luttrell, Rainbow Sun Francks, and Paul McGillion
Sanctuary: Actors Rachel Luttrell and Torri Higginson
The Brotherhood: Director Martin Wood, Writer Martin Gero, and Actor David Hewlett
The Gift: Director Peter DeLuise and Actor Gary Jones
The Siege Part 1: Director Martin Wood, Writer Martin Gero, and Actor David Hewlett
The Siege Part 2: Director Martin Wood, Writer Martin Gero, and Actors Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett

*Click on link above full text*

prion
November 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM
And another.....

EXCERPT from:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/dvd/features/stargateatlantis/default.asp

The key to these sets is the galaxy full of extras provided by MGM. Each disc
in the five-disc set has its own series of extras, including commentaries,
featurettes, production galleries and different previews on each disc. Instead
of just segregating all the extras on to one bonus disc, each DVD in the
Stargate Atlantis set feels like its own experience, an individualized trip through
the gate. Most of the big voices behind the show, including stars like Joe
Flanigan and Rachel Lutrell, along with writers and directors, appear on at least
one audio commentary. The show is clearly a collaborative effort and hearing
all of the different voices and opinions will certainly enrich the experience
for fans of the gate. Each disc comes with its own brief featurettes, the most
interesting of which are the "Mission Directive" featurettes,
episode-specific looks behind-the-gate. Sometimes it's nice to have all the bonus features in
one place, but with the bulk of the extras for this set being
episode-specific, it makes sense to spread them out.

*click on link above for full text, photos, etc.*

the fifth man
November 15th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Cool! Nice reviews.

GatetheWay
November 15th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Yeah, that's about how I would rate them.

I wasn't too thrilled with having previews for other movies and shows as "Bonus Features" but the commantries I've heard so far are, I think, some of the best that SG has to offer, especially the ones with Martin Gero, Martin Wood, and David Hewlett. They were funny, informative, and organized (you'd get what I mean by that if you've listen to a lot of commantries like I have).

The episodes don't really have scene selection. All you can do is skip over the teaser then skip over the opening credits everything after that is one big chapter. I never really used the scene selection in the SG-1 DVDs and those you couldn't skip over the opening credits without missing a good chunk of episode, so I think this is an improvement for SG DVDs.

Hywel
November 15th, 2005, 11:01 PM
The Gift: Director Peter DeLuise and Actor Gary Jones Gary Jones on The Gift? I wonder why. Makes me want it even more, though. Those two are hilarious!

TMar
November 16th, 2005, 02:59 AM
I'm surprised the DVD's of the first season of Atlantis is out in the US and Canada just now while the box has been available here in the Netherlands for some months now. Atlantis hasn't been on TV here yet, but it's kind of normal to get the DVD's first before some network buys the show for broadcasting. I love the show, it's got great potential.

prion
November 16th, 2005, 03:54 AM
I'm surprised the DVD's of the first season of Atlantis is out in the US and Canada just now while the box has been available here in the Netherlands for some months now. Atlantis hasn't been on TV here yet, but it's kind of normal to get the DVD's first before some network buys the show for broadcasting. I love the show, it's got great potential.

Sony, etc. makes their money SELLING American tv shows over in Europe, whereas they first want advertising dollars here in the States. It sucks that we US fans have to wait as UK fans go on about how great the DVDs are, but then we get it on SciFi first, I suppose, with all those awful ads and now, bad reception.

It's basically all a matter of making money for the studios.

caty
November 16th, 2005, 09:55 AM
The reviews sound great and I'm waiting for my set. It's been shipped today :D

Anyway, I'm kinda disappointed that Joe Flanigan only does 2 commentaries (actually one, cause I already have 'Rising') :(

prion
November 16th, 2005, 02:20 PM
The reviews sound great and I'm waiting for my set. It's been shipped today :D

Anyway, I'm kinda disappointed that Joe Flanigan only does 2 commentaries (actually one, cause I already have 'Rising') :(

I hope that for the season 2 set, the actors do the bulk of the commentaries and the writers/producers do less. I'd love to see Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett do a tour of the set ;)

GatetheWay
November 16th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I actually like it more when the writers and directors do the commentaries because they can tell you how they originally wrote it, logic of the story you never caught before and other cool tidbites. I like the actor's commontaries too just not as much. When by themselves the actors usally go off on tangents like what was for lunch that day etc though Peter DeLuise is the tangent king, commentary wise. ;)

TechnoWraith
November 16th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Sounds like we're getting a killer season set. Awesome. :D

Chrysalis
November 17th, 2005, 12:52 AM
You people in the US and Canada are lucky! The Aus DVDs don't have half as many commentaries on them! Very disappointing!!

TMar
November 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Sony, etc. makes their money SELLING American tv shows over in Europe, whereas they first want advertising dollars here in the States. It sucks that we US fans have to wait as UK fans go on about how great the DVDs are, but then we get it on SciFi first, I suppose, with all those awful ads and now, bad reception.

Well that explains it :). Some people keep up to speed with the US by downloading, but DVD's are much better :). Can't wait for season 2! :D

AGateFan
November 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I actually like it more when the writers and directors do the commentaries because they can tell you how they originally wrote it, logic of the story you never caught before and other cool tidbites. I like the actor's commontaries too just not as much. When by themselves the actors usally go off on tangents like what was for lunch that day etc though Peter DeLuise is the tangent king, commentary wise. ;)
I dont like when they get the lighting guy or the director of photography without anyone else, it gets kinda dry. I mean I like to know about some of the technical details, but I also want to know about what was orignally in the script, or what was intended... or what the actors said or were thinking about a certain scene. I want to know all of this more then what lights or camera they used to film an entire ep.... sorry lighting guy whos name I cant remember from the SG-1 commentary.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the link

GatetheWay
November 18th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I dont like when they get the lighting guy or the director of photography without anyone else, it gets kinda dry. I mean I like to know about some of the technical details, but I also want to know about what was orignally in the script, or what was intended... or what the actors said or were thinking about a certain scene. I want to know all of this more then what lights or camera they used to film an entire ep.... sorry lighting guy whos name I cant remember from the SG-1 commentary.
Yeah, I forgot the lighting guy. I agree he is pretty dry on the commentaries.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I forgot the lighting guy. I agree he is pretty dry on the commentaries.
Rick Dean (chief lighting technican) or Jim Menard (Director of Photography)

srg
November 20th, 2005, 02:02 AM

In this case we're getting it after you.

IndianaJones00
November 21st, 2005, 03:13 AM
It is good to see they have included all the available commentaries on the US Boxset, my Dutch Boxset only has 10 commentaries but then it was released in September so some of them were not ready.

I made a list of the commentaries listed on the BBFC website and all the ones listed above are on the list so it seems the other episodes never had any commentaries recorded for them, shame they are letting it slide from a commentary for every episode to commentaries on selected episodes.