• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Other 48 Days (207)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON TWO
    THE OTHER 48 DAYS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 207

When Oceanic Flight 815 crashes on the island, Ana Lucia and the other survivors of the tail section fight to survive when the mysterious Others begin abducting them -- and infiltrating their ranks.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2007, 05:55 PM.

Hmmm.... Hard to say how I feel about this ep. It was good... interesting. I could see a lot of parallels between the "tailies" and the fuselage folks' (fusies?) experiences... and a lot of differences, too. Obviously. I think it offered some good insights into who they are as a group and as individuals and I'm more curious than ever about Eko.

HOWEVER. I have had e-freakin-NOUGH with the whole backtracking thing and the COMPLETE LACK OF FORWARD MOTION!!! Jeez. We're HOW many eps in and it's only been, what, a couple of days, time-wise?? A relaxed pace is one thing, but Lost is practically comatose. I want things to HAPPEN, for cryin' out loud!

Yes, they found the bunker. Yes, Shannon got killed. Yes, we've found more survivors. But what else of any significance has happened and what have we actually LEARNED from all of this? Nada. It's sooooooo draggy. I might have been able to appreciate the ep more if I actually had a sense that things were moving along... and if they hadn't already pulled this stupid trick in the first two eps of the season. I've had just about enough of this dead man's pace and coupled with the fact that TPTB have said that the Jack-Kate-Sawyer triangle is going to be getting a lot of attention (and eventually the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Ana Lucia quadrangle) I'm revamping my viewing choices. Lost will no longer be the priority. I'll watch Criminal Minds or Veronica Mars instead. I'll catch up on Lost later.

Heh. The wonders of composing messages beforehand. THANKS SKYDIVER!!

Comment

Overall, only a C or C+ episode – the teaser was good, and small parts of acts one, three, and four were good, but only a few really excellent moments. The problem they didn’t remedy was that WE NEED TO CARE ABOUT THE OTHER SURVIVORS. We care about Mr. Eco because he helped Jin. And this episode established sympathy for Ana (a little bit) and a very little bit for Libby (she was worried about the kids). Instead of establishing characters (which is what TV is all about) they thought little tidbits of several days was good television, and it was not.

Plus, not to mention a big thing about LOST is that things usually take place over the course of days at most, and trying to cram 48 days into one episode of a show that spent 6 episodes in the first season only covering one week is just a bad idea to begin with (just like part of the reason The Siege Part II of Stargate Atlantis was bad was because it introduced a link back to earth, when so much of the show rested on that feeling of being cut off from home).

Also, anybody notice the count error? There were 23 tail survivors, according to a previous episode, but we only saw 20 people survive/get taken/get killed. 3 people were missing. Seems like a really bad mistake in a show that places so much emphasis on a series of six numbers…

Comment

I liked this one. While the characters were more Gap-like than ever, Ana Lucia is a real biotch - which makes her even cooler. I wasn't aware of all the plot holes and in consistancies since I was too busy laughing at the show in general. Ah, it's like a great island mystery spoof. I liked seeing what was happning thier side around - although it did seem to move pretty fast for 48 days. Overall, enjoyable as usual. That is, I'm a casual watcher...
        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

What was with the guy saying he killed Nathan - he wasn't on the list because he wasn't good enough? So are all of them "not good enough"? And the kids are "in a better place"? Um, I hear that a lot when someone dies.

Interesting tie-in convo on the radio. . so Boone DID hear someone say they were survivors from the same flight!

This group has apparently never run into the "monster".

Since Ethan was a "spy" on our regular group, why has no one in that group been "taken" other than Walt?

The second hatch also had "Quarantine" on the inside of the door.

Where the heck are Rouseau and Desmond? And keep watch for someone missing an eye.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Hmm... were any Greek gods one-eyed? I know Odin was, but he's Norse. Will have to look around.

Is there one group of "others" or are there more tribes? And was Ethan around from the beginning and we just didn't see him, or was there a delay? I know episode-wise he didn't show up, but from the perspective of the characters, I can't remember.

Thing is... I know the Others are swift and silent and all, but the Fuselage and Tail landed on opposite ends of the island... and yet the dupes seemed to be right on hand to blend in. How'd they get there so fast? And how did they know? Or was it a coincidence that some of the others JUST HAPPENED to be on the other side of the island?

Comment

Yeah, I think that was about the only thing really interesting about this ep was that we learned someone, somewhere is missing an eye.

The kids are still alive cause didn’t Jin and Mr. Eko see them in an ep as they hid in the brush and the Others walked by with them or something like that cause I actually didn’t see that particular episode. I’ve just seen that in recaps.

Wonder what the deal is with the Army knife. Whose is it…..

So I guess Nathan really was from Canada. Maybe he once worked in Hurley’s shoe factory in Canada that burned.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

The Nathan/Ethan thing and the fact that they were both supposedly from Canada was probably just misdirection. Bah.

I don't remember seeing any kids, all the legs looked pretty much the same, but there WAS a battered teddy bear on a rope...

Comment

I always figured Ethan was lying. So when they tried to pull the Nathan was from Canada bit so you’d think he was one of the Others…and then turned out not to be...well I’m guessing he was telling the truth before his neck went snap.

Hmm, ok that’s what I remember seeing in some recap then was the teddy bear on a rope. *shrug* Maybe they were carrying the kids. I seriously doubt they have killed any of them. Some of these people being without shoes might suggest that they could have been captured kids in the past who outgrew their shoes. Just a guess.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    I don't remember seeing any kids, all the legs looked pretty much the same, but there WAS a battered teddy bear on a rope...
                    If you go to the ABC lost website it says in the episode summary that the last set of 'other' feet was a child carrying a teddy bear.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      Hmmm.... Hard to say how I feel about this ep. It was good... interesting. I could see a lot of parallels between the "tailies" and the fuselage folks' (fusies?) experiences... and a lot of differences, too. Obviously. I think it offered some good insights into who they are as a group and as individuals and I'm more curious than ever about Eko.

HOWEVER. I have had e-freakin-NOUGH with the whole backtracking thing and the COMPLETE LACK OF FORWARD MOTION!!! Jeez. We're HOW many eps in and it's only been, what, a couple of days, time-wise?? A relaxed pace is one thing, but Lost is practically comatose. I want things to HAPPEN, for cryin' out loud!

Yes, they found the bunker. Yes, Shannon got killed. Yes, we've found more survivors. But what else of any significance has happened and what have we actually LEARNED from all of this? Nada. It's sooooooo draggy. I might have been able to appreciate the ep more if I actually had a sense that things were moving along... and if they hadn't already pulled this stupid trick in the first two eps of the season. I've had just about enough of this dead man's pace and coupled with the fact that TPTB have said that the Jack-Kate-Sawyer triangle is going to be getting a lot of attention (and eventually the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Ana Lucia quadrangle) I'm revamping my viewing choices. Lost will no longer be the priority. I'll watch Criminal Minds or Veronica Mars instead. I'll catch up on Lost later.

Heh. The wonders of composing messages beforehand. THANKS SKYDIVER!!

It's called charcter devolpment.
                      I was starting to hata Ana Lucia, but now I get her and why she acts the way she does. I understand why she shot first then asked questions later.

This episode was a little rushed, but overall a good episode. It gave insight into what they went through and important info into the other's and their potential motivation for snatching.

Shannon can't be dead, she just can't. There has to be some way she can recover.

The next few eps will be interesting. I will be torn bw the Sayid/Ana Lucia camp.

I gues the Jack/Kate ship has sunk, because Kate/Sawyer looked awfully close.

Also in the teaser, A.L. shoots the gun after shooting Shannon. I thought there was only one bullet in the gun??
                      Last edited by TheObiJuan; 16 November 2005, 09:57 PM.
                      Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
                      Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

Originally posted by TheObiJuan
                        It's called charcter devolpment.
                        But it wasn't good character developement. Thank god for the scene with Ana crying, which really had the Lost-touch to it, or else I really still wouldn't like her character.

The problem with backtracking is you better make it really interesting and character driven, which this episode did neither. I liked it up through Bernard's rescue, but then it was all the same-old/no surprises crap until boone's voice came over the radio. The goodwynn fight was okay, accept we knew how it ended so they should of thought of a more creative way to, uh, have him get speared by a stick. Then there was the good crying scene with her and eco and the rest wasn't anything special at all.

Not a very good episode.

Comment

What I got out of it is that Ana is basically a female Jack. I don't like him, either.

There was nothing surprising about this ep, either. We knew they landed in the water, we knew a bunch of them (particularly the kids) got taken, we knew they'd find the Dharma shelter, we knew Goodwin was doomed because we saw him impaled on a stick earlier, we knew (or I knew) they'd hear Boone as soon as they found that radio, and we knew Ana would shoot Shannon.

Now, if you keep something interesting and add some twists, you can make a "we know all that" ep really great. But... it didn't work for me. A few good character moments, mostly for Eko, but other than that I just didn't feel there much to the ep. It was a delaying tactic, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld
                            THE OTHER 48 DAYS

The harrowing first 48 days in the lives of the tail section survivors are revealed. (ABC)

READ MORE ...
                            A good ep, but not much to write home about.

Mysteries of the night would include what Ana Lucia does for a living. She can keep her head in a crisis, is observant, strong as an ox - did you see the size of that pit she dug? She knew the general age of the Army knife, was ready to commit torture and she can obviously kick butt. Everyone automaticly looked to her for leadership and she automatically assumed it.

What did Goodwin mean by "good enough?" That's the creepiest bit of the ep, for me.

The bunker with Quarantine painted on the inside of the door. I'm surprised none of the Lostaways took any note.

The radio worked? Sayid was having a devil of a time with his relatively fresher radio. Plot hole or plot point? I dunno.

Glass eye? Holy Bible? There's a scripture about tearing out your right eye if it makes you sin.... I dunno.

I thought it was interesting how as soon as poor Nathan became a scapegoat... er... suspect, nobody recognized him from the plane, not even the flight attendant who's pretty good with faces.

Loved the Eko comforts Ana scene. I know a lot of fans dislike the Ana character but I like her. I'm looking forward to more development for her.

I would have preferred a three ep story arc for the other Lostaways. I'd have liked more drama, mystery and character development.
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Overall I liked the episode, but it was too rushed. Would have been better, and we would have known the characters more, if this had been a 2-parter or a 2 hour episode.

Eko (or however you spell his name) is very intriging, and I do like Ana now.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                              X