This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All for one and one for all

Are you tired of being lumped into groups that generalize you as a fan or being told you hate a particular character simply because you openly express your liking for another? If you can answer yes to any of the above then please take a moment to read this thread.

Hi, for those of you who don’t know, my name is Kat and I go by the name of ForeverSG1 here on Gateworld. I have been a fan of Stargate SG-1 since its inception and only became involved with fandom in February 2005. When I joined GW, I did so because I had recently purchased all seven seasons of Stargate SG-1 on DVD and I found myself completely intrigued by the actors who portrayed the characters of SG-1. Before this time, Stargate had always just been a show I enjoyed on a weekly basis, nothing more. I did not spend hours pondering what was going on with the characters once I turned off my television. I simply used the show as a means to escape reality for one hour each week. However, after watching the behind-the-scenes commentaries on the DVD’s, I found myself enchanted by these witty people who I had been watching for seven years. I fell in love with the wonderful family atmosphere the show seemed to have and the genuine friendship the actors seemed to share. I found myself longing to see more of their humorous bantering and thus began my search of the internet and found Gateworld.

Before joining Gateworld, I had never really thought of myself as a part of a clique. I had never watched an episode of Stargate and thought to myself “God I hope they have a lot of Sam in this episode” or “Damn, why do they have so much Teal’c in this one?” To me, SG-1 included four characters: Teal’c, Jack, Daniel and Sam. RDA may have been the star by title, but I think over time the writers really did a fair job at trying to incorporate all the characters into the show and to really show SG-1 as more than just a group of people who had exciting adventures through a Stargate. Over time, they became a family and I came to love each of the characters as individuals as well as a team. I enjoyed seeing their relationships grow and evolve and though I may not have enjoyed every episode as much as another, I never felt as if I had totally wasted an hour of my life watching the show.

However that all changed when I joined Gateworld and became a member of Stargate fandom. Suddenly I was pushed into situation where I felt I had to draw lines and identify myself in terms of who my favorite was. Either I was a shipper or an anti-shipper. Either I was for or against Daniel. Either I liked Sam or I hated her. Suddenly this great ensemble show that I had enjoyed watching for seven years had been reduced to nothing more than a popularity contest. Just where did the ‘I’ and ‘Me’ come from in SG-1? Stargate has never been about just one character. It has always been about the team. The writers have made it a point to allow each of the characters to show their love and concern for one another throughout the years (although things did seem to become a bit clouded over the past few years ).

I just don’t understand why we must choose a side in order to be a fan of Stargate. Just because I like Sam as a character, does not mean that I automatically hate Daniel. One of the reasons I don’t frequent most of the character threads is because in most cases, the character isn’t being discussed, they are being lusted upon and while I find most of the actors on the show to be very attractive, I do not have a desire to spend my time online discussing how great an actor’s bum is. This is not to knock those fans who choose to do this. You all have the right to do as you wish, but for me personally I didn’t find it desirable, but this does not mean I like an actor any less than someone else. I personally have taken a stand for Sam because I feel as if she is the most controversial character on the show. She is condemned repeatedly and while I can understand that people do not like the storylines that have transpired over the years, I still personally enjoy watching the character and I’ve always been one to root for the underdog.

So my question is why do we as fans have to be lumped into a group based upon who we like or dislike? Why does it seem as if we must hate one character in order to enjoy another one?

Aren’t there any fans out there that actually enjoy all of the characters? I may not enjoy all of the new characters as much as the originals, but that’s only because I do not know these characters as well, nor do I feel as if some of them have been written well thus far. However, this does not in any way, shape or form mean that I hold any ill will towards the actors who portray these characters.

Are there any fans that actually miss the team interaction: the camaraderie and the friendship? Or has Stargate become more about the ships, technology and jokes, and less about the relationships of the characters? Or maybe it was always about the ships and explosions and I was the odd ball who thought it was more?

If you are a fan of SG-1, ALL of SG-1, and if you miss the relationship the characters had and yearn for more than a weekly trip through the Stargate? If you are tired of feeling as if you are being forced to choose sides or being lumped into one group or another then feel free to post your comments here. I’d love to know I’m not the only one out there.

Kat
    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 12 November 2005, 10:21 AM.

ForeverSG1 that is a great post. Great. Bravo.

I am a fan of ALL of SG-1. Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c... Do I love one more then another? No I dont think so. I love all of them and how they interact. Each has their strengths, each plays off each of the others in a unique way. Each have each others back. I love SG-1 the Team show.

Also, I too have found fandom not to be all I thought it could be and some of my enjoyment of the show has been lessened... UNTIL I put in one of my DVDs and sit back on my couch and then I once again remember why I love this. I just watched "The other side" again today. Great ep. Each character did what each character does. It was great. They are family and I feel happy that I can spend an hour of my day with them.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I like everyone on SG1. I do have my favorites, but I agree the Team atmosphere is what makes it interesting. I wouldn't want one character (even my favorite) to have everything revolve around them. The characters are complex and that takes years to flesh out. It's one of the things that separates this show from others in the Sci-fi realm.

*hug* you are not alone!
      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Hi Kat,

Forgive me if I do something wrong or my post is too long. I’m new to GW but have been lurking around for some time. I just joined today because forums and boards tend to the scare the heck out of me. But I thought this thread would be a nice place to start – because it has a message I agree wholeheartedly with. I believe that message is tolerance and the need to honor the show in its entirety, regardless of character or story arc preference.

Like you, I was unaware of the divisions and animosity in the SG fandom until I started exploring the world online during Season 7. I agree that it is frustrating to be lumped into different groups and for other fans to assume if you are a Sam fan you can’t be a Daniel fan, if you’re ship fan then all you want to see is romance and soap opera. Which is ridiculous! I love both the Daniel and Sam characters – they are the two characters I identify with the most. In fact, I like all of the characters – to some extent even the new ones (although, like you, I feel the characters need to be developed more before I can make a final judgment). I don’t always like the stories that are told and the things the writers make the characters do, but it has never made me like or respect any of the characters any less.

Personally, my favorite episodes are those in which the team works together to solve problems. In looking around, I find that most SG fans agree with this. It is the interaction between the four main characters that makes and has made the show great over the years. Now that Jack is gone, I hope that can continue with Mitchell.

However, there are small groups of extreme fans who don’t agree. Some out there only want to see shows that feature Daniel, some only want to see J/S ship, etc. And unfortunately, they let their own bitterness and hatred color their attitude towards the other characters and the show in general.

The fact is, although we might not like it, it is human nature to divide into groups of like interest. And unfortunately in SG b/c of issues going on behind the scenes (both now and in the past), different groups have felt attacked by other groups. When one groups feels that they or their favorite character or viewpoint (specifically ship/anti-ship) is being attacked, they get defensive. It then erupts into all-out fandom warfare – and, boy, can it get ugly.

I have to admit I too am guilty of this. While I have never lashed out at anyone online, I have often felt anger and outrage at some of the people that do. I do get defensive when I feel a character, or even worse an actor, is being attacked. I’m glad I have enough sense to back down, count to ten, and refrain from lashing out in anger. I think it is important to remain as rational and tolerant as possible in such cases. I try to calm myself down by realizing that the people who do lash out in a negative and bitter way are doing so not out of love for a character or actor (as they so often claim), but because of something missing in their own lives. I tend to pity them and realize that it is not worth my time to engage in a debate with them that cannot be won.

So, I agree with you completely. The best policy is tolerance and acceptance of all of the characters (whether you like them or not). That does not mean that people should not have opinions or be able to express constructive criticism in a rational way. It just means that those criticisms and opinions should be addressed with respect.

To address the last part of your post – I also miss the team interaction. But more so, I miss the joy and enthusiasm the characters felt. In the past, even when things were about as bad as they could get, Daniel, Sam, and Teal’c (although to a lesser extent) had an innate passion and enthusiasm regarding their work. Watching season nine, I have finally realized what troubles me the most about it (not to say that I hate it – because I don’t). None of the original characters seem all too happy to be at the SGC. Daniel has been in a bad mood the whole time, Sam seems a bit depressed, and Teal’c – well Teal’c is acting as he usually does but he has been given no reason as to why he would actually want to rejoin SG-1.

A lot of this can be explained story-wise by the fact that each of the characters had moved on in their lives and felt they were being pulled back into a life they had left behind. But the enthusiasm and passion for being on the team and at the SGC has not yet returned. Part of this problem can probably be attributed to the lack of interaction between the team (including Mitchell) and a lack of concrete explanations about the characters and their choices. I’m hoping this changes in the second half of the season, because it is really not as much fun to watch three characters who are clearly not happy to be back on SG-1, serving with another who is almost too overly enthusiastic to be there.

Sorry for the long post. I guess your post just inspired me to speak up for once.

Melora

Comment

Kat -- you are awesome (and so is your sig!). I completely understand what you are referring to with this problem, and sometimes I wonder why we are forced to identify ourselves in this manner, particularly character-wise. While I do support a ship (kinda obvious), it really bothers me when posters with opposing viewpoints can't or refuse to try engaging in polite, considerate conversation merely on the basis of such preferences. Drawing lines between fans who like certain characters or pairings and automatically condemning those who aren't in agreement with you rarely solves anything. All it leads to is animosity and hurt feelings (I can say this from personal experience).

I LOVE all of the characters on both series, and I even like the guys that you aren't really supposed to like (::cough:: Kinsey, Caldwell, Bates ::cough:. What I liked about Sg-1 when I first began watching it was the relationships that all of the characters had with each other and the little moments that were funny or sad or just cute. While I enjoyed all the sci-fi stuff and special effects and villains, it wouldn't have been the same show if we were missing Teal'c or Jack or Hammond, and the episodes when these characters were absent just weren't as enjoyable as those with the entire ensemble. I loved how different all of them were. All of them had parts of their characters that I loved and aspired to learn -- Daniel's curiosity, Jack's easy-going sense of humor, Teal'c's quiet, strong presence, Sam's drive and motivation -- and they all had characteristics that could drive me crazy at times -- Daniel's overbearing humanistic qualities, Jack's gung-ho military attitude, Teal'c's stubborness, Sam's lack of assertion. But these faults never made me love the characters any less...in fact, they made me love them more.

Instead of giving us these perfect, can do no wrong heroes, TPTB crafted real people, human beings that we can all see bits of ourselves in, and for this reason I find it extremely difficult to choose one character that I enjoy above all others. That's just me, and I don't have any gripes against fans that are rabid Sam, Sheppard, or Rodney fans, but what I find off-putting is when this leaning to one character results in bashing or negativity regarding the others simply because they aren't the fan's character of choice. Of course, it gets even uglier when fans who support those characters are then drawn into it and instead of just criticising a character, fans of those characters are bashed as well. It doesn't make sense. You can't have Sg-1: Teal'c or Stargate Atlantis: Ronon -- you need the team. Period.

It's nice to have episodes that thoroughly explore aspects of a single character from time to time. It fills the viewers in on a lot more than can be accomplished in a team episode and gives the actor a chance to have their time in the spotlight. Along with these character development episodes, though, it is always such a treat to see all of them interacting with each other in a team one. I watch for all of the characters, and the relationships that they share with each other are all so varied, beautiful, and deep that I can't imagine getting rid of one character without affecting everyone else involved. I don't like choosing a favorite character. I can't do it. I love all of them and to commit myself to one seems like I'm betraying the others. I'm a fan of the team above everything else and Stargate wouldn't be the same without ALL of the characters contributing.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

ForeverSG1, I have to say, bravo! Excellent post! I think that each character is unique in their way and the show wouldn't be the show it is without any of them. So, with that said, I'll have to say that I love them all!

Comment

Kat, my friend, you are not alone in your feelings concerning SG-1.

I have my favorites but like you said, the team made the show. The characters made you a part of their family, dysfunctional at times but who's family isn't, and you watched for the sheer joy of their interaction with each other.

No, my friend, you are not alone.

Comment

I may be wrong in this, but I refuse to believe there's anyone out there who watches either sg-1 or atlantis only for one character, or only for one ship. I always liked (well, maybe not kinsey) all the characters, and although at times I did find Sam a little wearing (sorry Forever SG1!) I never got to the point of actively disliking her. If you really do dislike the majority of characters, then why are you watching the show in the first place?

On this forum it is natural for there to be divides, as we don't have one big convo but lots of smaller threads. In the Shep/Weir thread, for example, you are unlikely to find that many people who want to talk about the relationship between Teyla and Sheppard, because that isn't the point of that thread. The big "danger" in this forum is becoming to bound a few threads, which I am definately guilty of. Actually, the biggest danger is becoming a poster like Forever SG1 describes, someone who obsesses over one little group/ character to the point that they no longer enjoy the other characters. If this is happening, I suggest you either visit some other threads, or just watch some episodes with a more open mind. The shows are so good it's not hard to enjoy them, and enjoy all the characters

It is interesting that there aren't any "team" threads, but it's just easier to talk about the interactions of two characters or one character's personality than it is to talk about a whole group scene. If anyone wants to try, good luck and I'll be happy to join in
                Don't you want to look beyond the horizon?

In the 2 hours and 14 minutes that Torri Higginson was online, there were 272 posts in the Elizabeth Weir Wow Thread. I was responsible for 2 of them. (Oh yeah and Gateworld crashed, but that's not important)

Please click here to feed the hungry, protect endangered land, and help fight breast cancer without spending a penny (inspired by the Whistler 84 in Memoriam thread)

Comment

I am a fan of All of Stargate, Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, I love 'em all, it's a great show. Now, I miss RDA as much as most people -a lot. But, I don't want Stargate-SG1 to end, so I am a fan of Colonel Mitchell too.
                  Give BB a chance, the ad-libs will come, actually I believe the ad-libs have started already,... do we know for sure?
                  The actors are very talented and you can be sure that they were extremely careful about choosing a new member for the team. Just give it a chance.
                  You do want Stargate-SG1 to continue, don't you?

just my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Aren’t there any fans out there that actually enjoy all of the characters? I may not enjoy all of the new characters as much as the originals, but that’s only because I do not know these characters as well, nor do I feel as if some of them have been written well thus far. However, this does not in any way, shape or form mean that I hold any ill will towards the actors who portray these characters.
                    I enjoy all the characters on the show, McKay is obviously my favourite but he wouldn't be anything without his interactions with the rest of the actors.
                    The same with SG1, they work great together as a group and its one of the reasons why I got into the show.

You cant have SG1 with only one member

sigpic
                    Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by mentalmichael
                      <snip>
                      It is interesting that there aren't any "team" threads, but it's just easier to talk about the interactions of two characters or one character's personality than it is to talk about a whole group scene. If anyone wants to try, good luck and I'll be happy to join in
                      Where is NowIwilldestroyabydos when you need him. I dont like to take the "glory" of starting threads (whatever that is). But I would love it if we had Team threads. SG-1 orginal, SG-A orginal, SG-1 new, SG-A new.
                      Or should it just be SG-1 and SG-A or just one full TEAM thread that talks about any of the teams...

What are the best team eps. Get some team picks in it so we can "thunk" for the entire team. Talk about how the team relates (nonshipwise -IMHO).. could such a thread be sustained?
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I've been with GateWorld since before the switch to vBulletin and I've never felt the need to pick sides. Obviously I'm a big RSF/Ford fan, but that was my choice and not brought on by any outside pressure. I'm not trying to delegitimize your feelings, Kat, but I'm just saying that I have not encountered this pressure. Maybe it's only in certain parts of the forum. Obviously if you frequent the "shipper" and "anti-shipper" threads there is going to be pressure, but if you want to avoid it, general or "noromo" threads might be a better fit for your personal ideology.
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Hmm...a team thread? I know I'd join.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

I kind of disagree. I think all fans like shows for more than one character BUT... it's like being a fan of a sports team. There are some people who cheer for a team and remain loyal to that team for years regardless of who plays for them. There are other fans who follow a player and will change loyalty if that player switches to another team. Sometimes a certain character is what creates the team feel and when they are not there the feeling is also gone. I'm an RDA fan and I am having a REALLY hard time liking the new SG1. But after 8 years I also consider myself to be a Stargate fan so we'll just have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                              I kind of disagree. I think all fans like shows for more than one character BUT... it's like being a fan of a sports team. There are some people who cheer for a team and remain loyal to that team for years regardless of who plays for them. There are other fans who follow a player and will change loyalty if that player switches to another team. Sometimes a certain character is what creates the team feel and when they are not there the feeling is also gone. I'm an RDA fan and I am having a REALLY hard time liking the new SG1. But after 8 years I also consider myself to be a Stargate fan so we'll just have to see.
                              For me RDA is one of my four favorite characters. It was hard to lose him. Plus you add that on the loss of a number of great recurring characters and you have a big gaping wound.

Were we to lose another of my 4 favorite characters it would be like adding salt to the wound.

And then you threaten (plan on... whatever) to have one of those characers you loss replaced by a character that is not even likeable (IMHO), well that is like just taking a knife, sticking it in the wound and wiggling it around.

At least thats how I see it..... graphically...

Comment

Working...
                              X