PDA

View Full Version : Ask Joe Flanigan!

David
November 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/david/graphics/askjoeflanigan.jpg

With the impending release of Stargate Atlantis Season One on DVD, GateWorld has been invited to ask Joe Flanigan questions. So, we're going to let YOU ask!

As with Ben, here's how it works -- with one addendum.
1. The question must be Season One related. Other questions will be dismissed.
2. If you're a lurker, you'll need a free account (http://forum.gateworld.net/register.php) in GateWorld Forum to ask.
3. The question must be your own.
4. Be sure your question has not already been entered by someone else! (Please!)
5. Try to come up with something atypical. This will increase your chances of yours being picked.
6. One question only, please.

At the bottom, be sure to submit the name you want to have with the interview (i.e. GateWorld reader David wants to know ...), so be sure, if you go with your alias, you pick something that's pronouncable!

Questions must be submitted no later than THIS MONDAY, November 14 at 11:59 PM Eastern.

Good luck, and thanks for contributing to GateWorld's features!

(thanks Athenaktt)

GatetheWay
November 10th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Just curious but what was with the black rist band that Sheppard wore in several episodes in season 1?

-Livy

CeeKay Sheppard
November 10th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I've heard that Stargate: Atlantis is the first sci-fi show you've done. What would you say is different about doing a science fiction program than other genres?

–CeeKay Sheppard, author, Stargate fan fiction writer

knocknashee
November 11th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Not sure mine was S1 enough, so I posted this instead. If the other one was, I'd prefer that to be asked...

The last scene of the entire of season one was John Sheppard flying off on a suicide mission to destroy a Wraith hiveship - was that unnerving? By which I mean, did TPTB keep you sweating on whether they were having you back for season two or did you know that you'd be onboard for more adventures in Atlantis and thus more DVDs?

[original question]How are you dealing with the recognition of being on a hit show, like now having a whole set of DVDs of your work out, your face on merchandise to do with the show, etc? It must be strange after a fairly long stint of guest roles, 'one-show wonders' and pilots that never were, to have 40 episodes of SGA behind you, with more to come, and also to have such a rabid fanbase who are interested in your work...

[edit]How wude...a big thanks you to you guys, and to Joe for taking time out for this... :)

Dorka
November 11th, 2005, 12:42 AM
What do you think about the relationship between Sheppard and Weir in the first season?

-Dorka (from Switzerland)

Linzi
November 11th, 2005, 01:42 AM
I know from your many interviews that The Defiant One was your favourite Season 1 episode to shoot, and 38 Minutes your least favourite. If you had to choose your favourite Season 1 episode and least favourite Season 1 episode to watch, what would they be and why?

Linzi

neko138
November 11th, 2005, 02:07 AM
*This is hard ne*

Which woman is more Sheppard's type: Teyla or Doctor Weir?

~Neko138
(real name: Natasha)

Presley_Carter
November 11th, 2005, 02:54 AM
What challenges (as an actor) would you like your character to deal with now that you have had two seasons to establish him?
Thanks!

-Chloe

undresser69
November 11th, 2005, 03:54 AM
In the episode 38 minutes you wanted to say something to Elisabeth Weir but she said to tell her in person, what do you think you were going to really say if you were going to die? And if u wrote this episode what would u want Sheppard to say?

Vanessa the Undresser

Naughtrish
November 11th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Ok, season 1 related... what was John Sheppard deciding on when he flipped the coin in Rising?

Old one, just in case David gets short of questions ;)
I've read some comments from your fellow actors that you are witty and funny.
How much of John Sheppard's personality is on the script and how much is your own?

Trish from Buenos Aires.

Merlin7
November 11th, 2005, 04:33 AM
So Joe, in Sanctuary everyone was in t-shirts or shirt sleeves and Shep was bundled up from head to toe. even when off wooing Chaya. Was that because you were cold or sick or just the wardrobe people messing with you?

Merlin7

Southern Red
November 11th, 2005, 05:23 AM
How far in advance do you know what is going to happen, or do you learn how a story will turn out when you get the script? For example, in The Storm and The Eye were you told ahead of time how the events in the second part would unfold?

Thanks, you're the best.
Southern Red

FoolishPleasure
November 11th, 2005, 05:41 AM
How do you rate your convention experiences? Were they enjoyable, intimidating? How many do you plan on doing in the next year? :)

-FP

IWantToBelieve
November 11th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Okay, I'll ask - is the hair your own thing, or the show stylist thing? Because you know, more than a few of us fans were sucked in on the first episode by 'that guy with the adorable hair'...

And side note - (if you see it) You're a fantastic actor and thanks for all the hard work!

IWantToBelieve

Serendipity73
November 11th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Colonel Sheppard has always been portrayed as someone who has faced some dark things in his military background. How do you prepare yourself this part of the role, if at all?

xkawaiix
November 11th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Joe!

I was wondering what episodes, if any, should we look out for this season that may have a bit more on John's background?

Thanks!
Kate :D

sheppard_joe_fan_1990
November 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Hi Joe,

I was wondering what you thought of the fact that the Atlantis team didn't get to go back to Earth in the first season, apart from the episode were you all thought you had gone back but hadn't.

Hannah

The Signal
November 11th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Hi Joe

Which was your personal favourite episode of Season1?

PS. Loving SGA

-Daniel

Elinor
November 11th, 2005, 10:10 AM
In the Atlantis Official Companion, it says that the alien leech prop from '38 minutes' came to be known by the cast as the 'plastic lobster'!

Have you ever thought up a humorous name for any particular prop or character? If so, what is it please?! :D

Eli

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 11th, 2005, 10:59 AM
NowIWillDestroyAbydos wants to know: How did you feel when you got the call from your wife (happy, nervious, etc) during shooting for the "Behind the Gate: Secrets Revealed" Lowdown?

mgosche
November 11th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Joe,

What is the most interesting thing you discovered about learning how to fight with the sticks in the episodes 'Hot Zone' and 'The Gift'?

Michele

aaobuttons
November 11th, 2005, 11:38 AM
During Rising you fell down that hill and they decided to keep it in the scene. What else have you done by mistake that they decided to keep in?

Zaahn
November 11th, 2005, 02:19 PM
You seem to like the fans. :) Do you ever get any good story ideas from reading, conventions or general conversation that you pass on to the Stargate creative team?

from Zaahn in Pennsylvania :cool:

skyejag
November 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
How does your wife deal with your filming schedule on stargate?

susieqla
November 11th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Just curious...how many seasons do you forsee for SG Atlantis?

best, Sue...Col. Sheppard rocks!

Kira1701
November 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Joe, if Stargate SG1 had not been renewed when Atlantis began, whom of the main SG1 actors would you have wanted to become a part of the Atlantis mission and why?

Kira from the Netherlands

DJFavorite
November 11th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Joe, was there any scene you had to do that you felt was out of character for Sheppard?

Angela from Seattle

Jedi40
November 11th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Joe,
I was wondering if you do your own stunt work,and if you do have you ever been hurt doing one.

911Beckett
November 11th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Hi Joe, now that you have done a few conventions, what has been the strangest question asked to you, and what was the answer.

911 Beckett

Atlantis1
November 11th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Joe:
What are your feelings about playing the role of Sheppard?

pisces27
November 11th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Are we ever going to see Sheppard in his "Dress Blues"?

Are there any plans to further explore the planet Atlantis is on?

SKRoberts
November 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Greetings, Joe:

There have been several serious questions asked so far, and I hope you have the opportunity to answer them. So, to toss it up a bit...

Do you like muffins? :)

- S.K.Roberts from Alabama

shol'va
November 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Salutations Joe...
Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the idea of Sheppard/McKay slash?:D

Suzotchka
November 11th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hi Joe,

What were your thoughts when you got your first scripts for season one? Did you foresee it becoming as popular as it is now?

Glad to see that you're tentatively scheduled to come to NYC's convention next year!

Sue

undresser69
November 11th, 2005, 08:43 PM
NowIWillDestroyAbydos wants to know: How did you feel when you got the call from your wife (happy, nervious, etc) during shooting for the "Behind the Gate: Secrets Revealed" Lowdown?

what do u mean a call, explain please?

did anyone else fall inlove with joe in the first episode like me, I was like " wow whos that hot guy?" the next day i googled stargate atlantis and found out his name was joe

HH Demonas
November 12th, 2005, 02:06 AM
hai Joe how are you
I've got 2 questions
1 :)
How was it working with Robert Patrick on the episode Rising
2 :D
What was the biggest blooper ever pulled on set during both seasons by you or anyone of your cast members

Thanx for your time
and keep up the good work
Greetings from Holland
HH Demonas:cool:

White Knight
November 12th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Joe,
If you could pick one - just one - of the props from Season 1 to take home and keep, which one would it be and why?

Stricken
November 12th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Stargate Fanatic S.G.C wants to know: What were you expecting to happen in Season 1? and did it happen?

P.S Please say S.G.C on GateWorld Rocks!! :D

You dont have to include the P.S part David :D

sheppard_joe_fan_1990
November 12th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Hi Joe,

I was wondering what the strangest thing a fan has given you is, and when did you get it?

much love,
Hannah

triptnx
November 12th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Lauren wants to know: Are there any scenes/episodes from season 1 that you particularly didn't enjoy, either doing it or looking back upon it?

Sheppard56
November 12th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Hi Joe!
When you were young you lived on a small ranch. Did horses play a big part in your life and do they still?
Thanks
Sheppard56 - England

joeFfan
November 12th, 2005, 11:21 AM
hey joe i have a question for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well actually 4

1. have you heard of the actor danial craig??????????
well if you have you may well also know that he's in the 21st james bond movie and he has blond hair and blue eyes.
that is not bond to me.

2. have you ever considered playing james bond??????????????

3. Please play bond we need you we don't want no blond bombshell.
(Danial is way ugly as well in my opinion and bond is supposed to be HOTTTT)

4. with all the previous work that you have done what did you tell your wife if there is a love or kiss scene, is she ok with those things.

form JoeFfan aka sarah charlton [email protected] east England

knocknashee
November 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Just to reiterate one of David's points...

6. One question only, please.

VonKnibble
November 12th, 2005, 12:16 PM
OK, Joe, Sorry mate but i just *have* to ask...

Whats with the boxers? has the wardrobe department got something against belts, or is there something you want to fess up to the fans? :D

VK

P.S. - just so you know - not complaining...enquiring minds want to know:P

Sheylafan87
November 12th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Hi Joe,

i was wondering in the episode HOME, When u and Teyla walked into your bachelor pad and saw how it looked is the place what you thought John would want to come back home to or did the set designers just randomly design the place without asking what your character would want it to look like after being gone for a while?

Brightdream825
November 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hi Joe,

Another wardrobe question. :)
We noticed that Sheppard isn't wearing socks in several episodes from Season 1. Did the wardrobe department forget to issue them? ;)

How did you keep the sand out of your boots while filming The Defiant One?

alientje
November 12th, 2005, 01:34 PM
What is your favorite cheese?

SheppardHive
November 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Hello Joe, :)

Season 1
As an actor, how did things go when working with richard dean anderson in the pilot and do you feel your characters share any traits?

SheppardHive aka Rebecca from NY

Hanmer
November 12th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Hey Joe!

Working on Stargate: Atlantis you obviously get to fire alot of different weapons. Do you enjoy training on them? And what is your favourite weapon that you've fired on the show?

Thanks

Stephen Hanmer

prion
November 12th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Joe. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

From Prion....
What would you say are Sheppard's greatest strengths as well as weaknesses?

Thanks!

LOL4JACK
November 12th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Hi Joe, Thanks for your time.

How much do you know about the Stargate Internet Fandom, about Shippers and Thunkers, Gateworld and the The Joe Flanigan/John Sheppard Thunk thread? Are you a lurker? :eek:

Thanks, Carolina / LOL4JACK

Colonel Sharp
November 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Yo Joe,
Just wonderin, how long did it take you to train in stick fighting, or did you already know it? And if you were trained, was it fun?

VisUban
November 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Hellew Joe!

I was just wondering how you think [since he wouldn't stop gloating about how he became lieutenant colonel] Sheppard would repsond if he was made a colonel or even made General Sheppard.

~~Gillian~~

AcidSquid
November 12th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Hows Ya Doing Joe,
Just wondering, Was i Fun to work with Rick Anderson?
I bet it would be so cool to work with him,
also, How was that Ancient Chair you got to sit in,
Was it comfy?

Lt.Col. Moore (Icarus)
November 12th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Hey, Joe.

I was wondering how's your relationship with the cast especially David Hewlett and the writers/ directors?

mcalex22
November 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Hey Joe,

How's it going? Don't know if you will ever get to my question coz I just realised it's very very long list here...

Here's my question: David Hewlett promised us at the recent BOBW convention in Sydney that if we purchased one of the auction items, we'd get Joe Flanigan in the mail! So does that mean that you'll be visiting Australia soon?:D

OK, that wasn't a real question. This is the real question:

In Hot Zone, how many times did you and Rachel rehearse that fighting scene before shooting? I liked the way it was choreographed/filmed and wonder if it took a lot of takes where either of you might have accidentally hit each other?

Also wanted to say I think the cast and crew are doing a great job and I love watching the show. Thanks for giving us lots of entertainment.

Take care and have a nice christmas break!
Alex

Yume
November 13th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Hi Joe,
thanks for answering our questions.

I was wondering about what was for you the funniest moment when filming an epsiode?

Flowerbud
November 13th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Hi Joe,
I noticed in one of the Stargate specials that you like to read the New York Times. After the Judith Miller debacle, what is your opinion of the newspaper and are you looking for other sources of news after that.

Fan in Wisconsin

JackONeill
November 13th, 2005, 09:54 AM
If you could choose between any of the SG-1 characters crossing over to Atlantis, who would you pick?

-Samantha K.

Hazeydream
November 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi Joe! Just wanted to say first that I love the show and everyone on it. During season 1, did you get to give any input concerning Sheppard's character and where he was heading?

Thanks, Jen.

Space Monkey52
November 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Hi Joe!

I was wondering, what was it like wearing the make-up and contacts for the episode "Conversion"? How long did it take to put it on?

Thanks,
Leah from Boston.

P.S. I'm excited to possibly be meeting you at the New Jersey Creation con next year. Hope you can make it!

Matt G
November 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Do you have a backstory for Sheppard in your head that's more than the writers have given you so far, if so, can we have some details?

Nightsister
November 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Hey Joe!

In Suspicion, Sheppard got excited when he saw the "sweet breakers" off the coast of the newly discovered mainland. Is he a longboarder? Are you? I'm asking because you mentioned surfing off Malibu once, and I thought those were primarily longboard beaches. And Sheppard seems like a longboard type of guy... I mean that as a compliment, of course. :)

Thanks for doing this!

krazii
November 13th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Everytime the Atlantis team goes out to do a mission, the Atlantis patch on their jackets are taken off. Is this just done to hide their identities about where they are coming from?

-Tiffany

David
November 13th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I can see many of the folks aren't reading the rules. This is not a general questionaire for Joe. This is regarding Season 1 specifically. Even questions that are general and not specifically related to the season are a little shady. Questions not relating to Season One will be shaved off. Not doing this to be mean, but this interview is to help promote the 1st Season Boxed set. I will only ask him questions pertaining to the first year.

If you know you've asked otherwise, go back and edit your post to change / adjust the question. You still have about 22 hours to do so.

Faith.In.Fate
November 14th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Howdy Joe, hope all is well with you and yours.

I would like to know who decides what each character's civilian clothing style will be such as in the episode "Home". Do you guys have any input or no?

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work.

Faith.In.Fate - Krissie

Maltrancko
November 14th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Hey Joe,

Stu here, just wondering what we can expect from you RE:Writing and directing post season 2? And what sort of direction you would like to See Sheppard take RE:Leadership and "ships" in general?

Please Anwer this one Dude...

Hi-Fiving you in advance

Stuart Maltrancko

swissaeby
November 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Hi Joe,
I was an exchange student in Canada the last two months and I just want to know how was your exchange in Paris.
Thanks

Marie from Switzerland

Dragonessa
November 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Joe,

In season one, Dr. McKay never calls Sheppard by his first name, John, even though John calls him Rodney and they are obviously friends. Why do you think that is and do you think McKay will ever call him "John"?

Thanks for doing this!

- Laura from Germany

sheppardslilgirl
November 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Joe! :)

Most of the good questions have already been asked, but heres mine:

What do you think of Johns Relationship with Aiden Ford in season one? Both Friendship and Slash wise (ShepFord Forever! ;) :D ).

SlytherinGal
November 14th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Joe,

1) What is your favorite Season One episode?
2) What is your favorite part about playing the role of Sheppard?
3) Can you relate to your character, John Sheppard, in anyway off screen?
4) What are your hopes and wishes for the future of Stargate Atlantis?
5) Do you see any kind of romance-related storylines for Sheppard?

Jean Highland (Potions_Mistress) from Rapid City, South Dakota wants to know :D

SheppardsGirl
November 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hi Joe! :D

In Underground when Sheppard and McKay are returning to the Genii and find the bunker, Sheppard says that he is "getting his bearings" and McKay accuses him of being lost. Do you think Sheppard knew where he was going or was he really lost?

- Rebecca

sheppardster
November 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to participate in this :)

My question is :

Who was the biggest prankster on the set during Season 1 and what/who did the prank get played upon?

Cheers!

Linda
(Sheppardster)

PS - it would be great if you could visit the UK shores for any conventions next year!

KerMcG90
November 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Hi Joe =)

In the episode Sanctuary do you think Sheppard was a taken a little out of character? Reason I ask is because most of the time Sheppard would be at least a little cautious when dealing with somone from another planet but in this ep. he dosn't listen to any of the warnings Rodney's trying to give him much less hear him out. Do you think this was out of character or more just the typical case of a guy falling for the beautiful girl.

-Kerry

IMForeman
November 14th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Hello, Joe, whaddayanknow.

Anyway, here's my question:

Those puddlejumper control sticks look awful fragile, and I was wondering if you've ever snapped them off while getting into the filming of a scene that's supposed to be a radical maneuver.

-IMForeman

Lorr
November 14th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Hi!

During season one, what did you contribute to the character or nature of Sheppard, and why?

Many thanks!

Lorr

David
November 14th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Tick tock, 53 mins left!
:)

CKO
November 14th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Hey Joe,

thx. so much for takin' the time to answer /some all of our questions (guess that depends on how much time David has to ask the questions)

now here's the question.

I've noticed though out S1, that Sheppard and Teyla had devolped a close friendship, given the chance would you like to explore more of their relationship, weather it be friendship or romantic.

Submitted by Heather Arnold (CKO) Rapid City, South Dakota

Royal_Nonesuch
November 14th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Joe,

Thanks so much for all of your hardwork and dedication--it really shows on screen. To the question--I've read that you were a history major (so am I! Go History!). Is there any historical figure (or event) that helped you create the Sheppard of Season 1?

Thanks again,

Royal in KY

Darren
November 16th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Our initial splash of Q&A with Joe Flanigan is now online!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/11/joeflaniganushersiatlantis.shtml

Much, much more will be coming soon. Thanks to everyone for submitting questions!