S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimilarCadence
    I'm guessing you quoted me by mistake, but I definitely agree with you about the credits....and being nibbled to death by cats....
    Sorry, I fixed it now... it was late
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Anyone wonder where CB will be placed when she joins that cast full-time? That should be interesting. I don't think people would accept the 11 second opening (in order to divert attention to what was really happening) twice.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
        Anyone wonder where CB will be placed when she joins that cast full-time? That should be interesting. I don't think people would accept the 11 second opening (in order to divert attention to what was really happening) twice.
        I see it going something like:
        BB, BB, BB, CB, CB, CB, At, Team (BB or CB foreground), CJ, Team, and MS as DJ.

Or something like that. Definity BB first and a lot more of him just like this years annoying one. Then lots of CB... AT and CJ will be afterthoughts.... MS will get the last credit because it is apparently as good as the first one...

UNLESS BB gets the first bunch then MS, AT, CJ AND CB as vala.
        It would be amusing to see the uproar on that one... both annoy me.
        I think it should be Team or action first couple then one BB (being realistic) AT, CJ, CB AND MS as DJ.

If I really really had my choice it would be team\action first couple then AT, CJ, BB, CB AND MS as DJ.... but that is just not realistic.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

that's how i see it too. ben and claudia starring in, followed by a team shot, one of at, one of cj, team shot with ben and claudia in the middle with the other three behind and shanks with his 'and' and then beau with his 'with'

bb and cb are the only two actors scifi cares about now. the other three are just incidental folks who are likely seen as in the way

and yeah, it will be rather funny if MS loses his 'and' and is tossed in equally wtih the other two, even funnier if cb gets it
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            that's how i see it too. ben and claudia starring in, followed by a team shot, one of at, one of cj, team shot with ben and claudia in the middle with the other three behind and shanks with his 'and' and then beau with his 'with'

bb and cb are the only two actors scifi cares about now. the other three are just incidental folks who are likely seen as in the way

and yeah, it will be rather funny if MS loses his 'and' and is tossed in equally wtih the other two, even funnier if cb gets it

Maybe that's why all the fuss was about at that con.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
              Maybe that's why all the fuss was about at that con.
              I'm curious, can you expand on that?

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                I'm curious, can you expand on that?

What MS said (and I'm praraphrasing) about one actor is not that important, rather the franchise is. Hope that helps.

Comment

which SUGGESTS that actors, or at least some of them, have less bargaining power when it comes to contracts. it's kinda hard for one of them to play the 'i get x or i quit' when they know that scifi will say 'fine, don't let the door hit you on the tush on the way out'

basically, again it suggests that the actors, if they want to work, do what scifi tells them to do, not the other way around
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                    Hey, we're fun people, I dont care what anyone says.

And yeah the BB thing leaves one scratching ones head. Despite what his fans think (and this is not a slam on him or them) he is not really that big a star. The only thing I have ever seen him in besides the occasional lifetime movie (which all stargate people are in) is Farscape. Hes a good actor just not a Harrison Ford or anything. To me MS, AT and CJ are just as good and just as big. As far as I can tell BB is no more "established" a scifi star as any of the rest of them. I heard they wanted to bring him in slow so as not to upset people, but how about you just bring him in as part of the TEAM and I think you would upset less people.
                    Ben Browder is an AMERICAN actor and this is why he is billed first. Stargate is made in Canada, but Canadian actors (Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping) are considered second tier by MGM/Scifi. It’s a well know fact that “American” shows made in Canada always have an American lead actor.

Ben Browder isn’t Harrison Ford, Amanda Tapping isn’t Nicole Kidman, Michael Shanks isn’t Tom Cruise and Chris Judge isn’t Chris Rock. If they were that well known, they wouldn’t be on a small audience niche market scifi show like Stargate.
                    Last edited by frellu2; 14 January 2006, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                      I was the same way. When they announced BB, it never for one moment occurred to me that they would feel they needed a new leading man, a new star. I wrongly assumed that BB would be brought in the same vein as Jonas was. Part of the team. (Well, as much part of the team as TPTB could be bothered to make him - which imo they were never very successful at) Not the character/actor around whom the entire show was built. I figured that after eight years, the show had a set of good, solid characters in the remainder of SG1, bolstered by a strong ensemble cast around them, that a leading man wasn't really necessary.

So it came as something of a shock when I realised BB was going to be the focus of the show. That was when my first twinges of misgivings began and....well the rest is history.

You know, I'm finding it kind of sad that this thread, where I can moan and ***** about all the show has lost for me, is the only thread I really get the urge to post in these days...

Albion

i remember when i first heard about bb joining the show too - and taking over the leading man role - i 'thought' it was for the future of the franchise. i didn't think he'd be the end all *now*. it's insulting to the existing cast that has been helping to carry this show for 8 years that they 'have' the have a new BIG star to help them along.

in last season's 'it's good to be king', sam, daniel, and teal'c were a team. they didn't *need* jack, even though it was wonderful to see him go out on a mission again. but anyway, sam, daniel, and teal'c knew their places and jobs. no one stepped on anyone else's toes.

i keep thinking if it had stayed with just sam, teal'c, and daniel this season... we'd still be able to have the ori threat. we'd still be able to have landry. still have lam. still have garek. but can you imagine leaving out all the controversial stuff (mitchell and vala) with just our ppl? i can.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Hey, we're fun people, I dont care what anyone says.

And yeah the BB thing leaves one scratching ones head. Despite what his fans think (and this is not a slam on him or them) he is not really that big a star. The only thing I have ever seen him in besides the occasional lifetime movie (which all stargate people are in) is Farscape. Hes a good actor just not a Harrison Ford or anything. To me MS, AT and CJ are just as good and just as big. As far as I can tell BB is no more "established" a scifi star as any of the rest of them. I heard they wanted to bring him in slow so as not to upset people, but how about you just bring him in as part of the TEAM and I think you would upset less people.

i feel the same.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          would you share why you're apprehensive of the daniel/vala thing? this is a real question, posed to a daniel fan.

sally
                          Many of them are the same reasons than Seshat´s: I don´t like it that Daniel is turned into a fool. It seems for me that Vala is able to harrasing Daniel so well because he is too open to other people and still expects that if you tread others fair they will tread you fair, too. That makes him the perfect victim for her so called "jokes". And I want Daniel being much more than the shows clown.

The other reason is because I hate it that they chain Daniel so much to Vala. I want seeing Daniel interacting with ALL team members. Not only with one.
                          And beside being a Daniel fan I want that the other characters have a chance to be in the spotlight, too (When had we the last time seen I glimpse of the friendship beween Sam and Teal´c?).
                          And with Vala fulltime I fear the room for episodes or moments the for other characters will be even smaller. It will be always "Vala and her minions".

And I can not get over it that a character that had no problems to condemn the whole Prometheus Crew to a slow and painfull death, just because she wanted their ship is meant to be a "funny".
                          I could maybe tolerate her as a ruthless "take no prisoners" type but this whole "humor" angle made me despise this character. And I don´t see how this could ever change.
                          Last edited by phoenixblue7500; 14 January 2006, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
                            I'm a big Claudia Black fan (I think she's awesome, actually) and I don't really want more Vala/Daniel stuff of the nature of season 9. Black's very talented; I'm not sure the role is up to snuff for her, to be honest. It'll be "interesting" to see how they change and write Vala because I have to say it's gonna take a lot of fancy dancing, writing-wise, to change the character into something more well rounded. They just didn't give enough foreshadowng into what she might really be all about to change her completely.
                            Than I can only wish you and the show good luck (and I don´t mean it sarcrastic). The actual group of writers have a history of taking well rounded characters and turning them into two-dimensional cartoons. Taking one of their own creations and turning her into a real character isn´t so easy, and that they seem to think that Vala is the best idea they ever had isn´t helping.
                            Last edited by phoenixblue7500; 14 January 2006, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I had a sickening thought last night.

See I argue if they had just brought Mitchell in as a full bird Col with SG experience then I would not have a problem with him (well not much) taking over Carters job and that is true.

So now it dawned on me that now that I said this (yes I know I have no power but maybe they thought of this on their own) TPTB will just go ahead and promote him to one (as they have been handing these out like candy lately) as a quick an easy solution to the problem they created for themselves.

Even though I would have been OK with Mitchell being "brought in" as a full bird. I am definitly AGAINST him being promoted to full brid over Carter.

I mean seriously, she has helped save the world 10-12 times or so and he helped (with about 100 other pilots btw) once.... we can give him 1-2 now that he has joined the SG-1 (but Carter gets those same ones tacked on her total). So if he (this guy know ones ever seen before) gets promoted over Carter.... that does not resolve the intial problem TPTB have created for me and, in fact, only makes me despise their "decisions" that much more.

The thought just pees me off and I needed to get this out there so when they DO promote Mitchell (which I have a feeling they will) no one can come back and say "but you said you would be ok with him being a full bird". I know what I said and I know what I meant. Carter continues to be scrwd as a character. She is not my most favorite character, I like TEAM and I am ok with BB, I am just sick of them throwing him in our face and for them making freaking illogical decisions with his character and trying to pimp him as "better" then all the other characters.

I was OK with Mitchell being brought in as full bird (but they choose not to go that way)
                              I am AGAINST him being promoted over Carter to full bird.

There, now I feel better.

Comment

I had a sickening thought last night.

See I argue if they had just brought Mitchell in as a full bird Col with SG experience then I would not have a problem with him (well not much) taking over Carters job and that is true.

So now it dawned on me that now that I said this (yes I know I have no power but maybe they thought of this on their own) TPTB will just go ahead and promote him to one (as they have been handing these out like candy lately) as a quick an easy solution to the problem they created for themselves.

Even though I would have been OK with Mitchell being "brought in" as a full bird. I am definitly AGAINST him being promoted to full brid over Carter.

I mean seriously, she has helped save the world 10-12 times or so and he helped (with about 100 other pilots btw) once.... we can give him 1-2 now that he has joined the SG-1 (but Carter gets those same ones tacked on her total). So if he (this guy know ones ever seen before) gets promoted over Carter.... that does not resolve the intial problem TPTB have created for me and, in fact, only makes me despise their "decisions" that much more.

The thought just pees me off and I needed to get this out there so when they DO promote Mitchell (which I have a feeling they will) no one can come back and say "but you said you would be ok with him being a full bird". I know what I said and I know what I meant. Carter continues to be scrwd as a character. She is not my most favorite character, I like TEAM and I am ok with BB, I am just sick of them throwing him in our face and for them making freaking illogical decisions with his character and trying to pimp him as "better" then all the other characters.

I was OK with Mitchell being brought in as full bird (but they choose not to go that way)
                                I am AGAINST him being promoted over Carter to full bird.

There, now I feel better.
                                I figured that I must of missed something - why was Mitchell so much more heroic that all the other fighting men who risked their lives in the war against Anubis. Yeah, he got hurt, from the looks of things he probably wasn't the only one.
                                They knew all season 8 Jack was going to be history - that was the time to introduce us to whoever. Mitchell is like a rabbit pulled from a magician's hat.
                                sigpic
                                Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                                My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Working...
                                X