No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a theory. I was watching 2010 the other day. I have also been reading what JM has been saying about the rest of season 9 and season 10, the interview with AT and well this just seems to make sense.

I think that TPTB have known exactly what direction they wanted the show to go. They also knew that they were facing some serious issues in order to have Stargate continue. So, like the Ashen, they knew they had to be patient.

1) Some fans would leave with RDA gone. They played up the fact that it was his decision. Those fans that expressed a desire to have him return or continued to say they missed his presence were made to feel selfish for even asking. They also made RDA's last performance less than stellar. Come on folks, they spend thousands of dollars on a few seconds of special effects but put the scenes with RDA and BB and MS in. It sure underlined the fact that RDA wanted out.

2) They united Vala with Daniel. She immediately was accepted from that section of the fandom. I think that she will slowly move away from him but in the beginning it was a perfect way to have her join the show.

3) They downplayed BB's role in the beginning of season 9 onscreen. Fans are now saying that they would accept him more if he had more character development. Enter the second part of season 9. I think it will be dominated by Mitchell. And, what do you know. It was what the fans wanted.

4) Pretend that the past 8 years didn't happen. No Sam and Jack. Again, it's what some fans wanted. They don't know what to do with Sam's character. I think they will again slowly reduce her role until she is a mere shadow of the character she once was. This also will be blamed on the fact that her character was so closely linked to Jack.

5) They will connect Vala with Mitchell more and more. They will show more team episodes -what the fans wanted- but it won't be our team.

I predict that by the end of 2006 Stargate will be unrecognizable as Stargate SG1. But like the Ashen, they will have given the fans exactly what they asked for. By the time anyone realizes what has happened it will be too late. Those of us who complain are like Jack in 2010. Ignored and shunned or called complainers.

Thinking of jack I'll end with a cliche. Be careful what you wish for...It may just come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      shanks and tapping will be pushed out
      maybe thats what that whole "we dont know what to do with your character" thing was about

ive always hated sciffy but i never thought they would actually stoop to this level
      - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
        maybe thats what that whole "we dont know what to do with your character" thing was about

ive always hated sciffy but i never thought they would actually stoop to this level
        we don't know. we'll never know, we can only guess.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
          I have a theory. I was watching 2010 the other day. I have also been reading what JM has been saying about the rest of season 9 and season 10, the interview with AT and well this just seems to make sense.

I think that TPTB have known exactly what direction they wanted the show to go. They also knew that they were facing some serious issues in order to have Stargate continue. So, like the Ashen, they knew they had to be patient.

1) Some fans would leave with RDA gone. They played up the fact that it was his decision. Those fans that expressed a desire to have him return or continued to say they missed his presence were made to feel selfish for even asking. They also made RDA's last performance less than stellar. Come on folks, they spend thousands of dollars on a few seconds of special effects but put the scenes with RDA and BB and MS in. It sure underlined the fact that RDA wanted out.

2) They united Vala with Daniel. She immediately was accepted from that section of the fandom. I think that she will slowly move away from him but in the beginning it was a perfect way to have her join the show.

3) They downplayed BB's role in the beginning of season 9 onscreen. Fans are now saying that they would accept him more if he had more character development. Enter the second part of season 9. I think it will be dominated by Mitchell. And, what do you know. It was what the fans wanted.

4) Pretend that the past 8 years didn't happen. No Sam and Jack. Again, it's what some fans wanted. They don't know what to do with Sam's character. I think they will again slowly reduce her role until she is a mere shadow of the character she once was. This also will be blamed on the fact that her character was so closely linked to Jack.

5) They will connect Vala with Mitchell more and more. They will show more team episodes -what the fans wanted- but it won't be our team.

I predict that by the end of 2006 Stargate will be unrecognizable as Stargate SG1. But like the Ashen, they will have given the fans exactly what they asked for. By the time anyone realizes what has happened it will be too late. Those of us who complain are like Jack in 2010. Ignored and shunned or called complainers.

Thinking of jack I'll end with a cliche. Be careful what you wish for...It may just come true.
          Whats funny is all this and they still wont get what they want.
          Its like Cocacola making a cheap knock off of pepsi and packaging it as New Coke. They didnt get the pepsi fans and just peed off the Coke fans. Fortunatly Coke was smart enough to change back. Sadly sci-fi has shown no such forsight, this is also not their only cheap product... they just keep throwing out the same trash hopping something will stick and if it doesnt, they cancel it and move on to the next cheap prodcut.

Stargate is gone... all that is left is a cheap knock off of farscape\andromeda\BSG that no one is sure to like not even the hardest of the hard core BB, CB fans and most certainly not those hardcore stargate fans like me.

oops I forgot Xena, cant leave out the ode to Xena that will be gracing our screen in the packaging of Stargate.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
            Wow, that's an impressive analysis. I'm sitting over here trying to find any flaws in it, and thus far, it plays out with how events have occurred.

Makes me tempted to watch the new batch of eps. Just to see if I can call you Nostradamus or not.
            "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
              Wow, that's an impressive analysis. I'm sitting over here trying to find any flaws in it, and thus far, it plays out with how events have occurred.

Makes me tempted to watch the new batch of eps. Just to see if I can call you Nostradamus or not.
              there may never be any proof of 7777's supposition, but circumstantial evidence certainly does support it.

I've felt for quite some time that scili has just been using the passionate daniel fans by pairing daniel with vala. scili is using them to create the image of 'untold tnousands adn thousands of fans adore vala' to justify what they've been wanting to do for quite some time, recapture the farscape fans/show even if it is nothing more than the same actors packaged under another title. (ya gotta remember these are the folks who feel that fans are too stupid to tell the difference between shanks and browder and thus had shanks grow the beard so that they could tell them apart. as far as scili is concerned, we have an average IQ of about 70)

now that vala is a part of the show, scili's true motives can come to light. we'll find out in s10 when, i think, it will be the cameron and vala show

if things play out as i suspect they will, i think it'll be rather humorous to watch.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

My prediction? I think that the second half of season nine will be a bit more "normal" SG1 than the first half, with a good chance of more Mitch development and maybe, gasp!, some feeling of a team. Once Vala returns at the end of season nine, however, all bets are off. I think there's going to be a return to that crass sexual humor, but if they tone down Vala it may not be so bad. We'll see, but I'm already concerned.

I could see Carter eventually being phased off the show, but I highly doubt TPTB would do anything with Daniel.

And since I've never watched Farscape and don't have much of a desire to start, I remain blissfully unaware of any possible similarities between FS and season nine.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                  After reading the "Why She" thread, something occured to me. Why are Joe and the rest of TPTB are pushing Cam and Vala? Could it be that after S10 a whole new Stargate will be born, one that will have Cam and Vala, but without Sam, Daniel and Teal'c.

It would make sense, that they are building a brand new spin-off during S9 and S10. It would also make sense that Skiffy would want this, because of other reasons stated in the above mentioned thread.

I have a real funny feeling that somehow TPTB will find a way to explain away what happened to the original characters and why this "version" is there.

I hope I'm wrong.
                  Yep, all because they didn't have the b*lls to end it on a high note. Riding it for everything its worth into the ground under the guise that fans wouldn't 'get' it if they spun it of and renamed it after the end of Season 8.
                  Last edited by WhatFateAlmondRoca; 02 January 2006, 08:41 AM.
                  If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                  proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                  Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                    My prediction? I think that the second half of season nine will be a bit more "normal" SG1 than the first half, with a good chance of more Mitch development and maybe, gasp!, some feeling of a team. Once Vala returns at the end of season nine, however, all bets are off. I think there's going to be a return to that crass sexual humor, but if they tone down Vala it may not be so bad. We'll see, but I'm already concerned.

I could see Carter eventually being phased off the show, but I highly doubt TPTB would do anything with Daniel.

And since I've never watched Farscape and don't have much of a desire to start, I remain blissfully unaware of any possible similarities between FS and season nine.
                    I think you've sized up the situation pretty well. In the prediction contest, I have a feeling you win!

Comment

My prediction? I think that the second half of season nine will be a bit more "normal" SG1 than the first half, with a good chance of more Mitch development and maybe, gasp!, some feeling of a team.
                      I'll buy that. After all, Carter is back. No more pinch-hitting from CB. After having VERY SLOWLY introduced Cameron I agree on the liklihood that they will develop him more, and with that development hopefully we will see him relate to/with the other characters more and that will lead to 'team' again.

The other thing I'm looking forward to is the development of Teal'c from Jaffa Rebellion leader to Statesman. I think the possibilities for Judge COULD BE terrific. Will they mine that opportunity? I don't know....
                      Once Vala returns at the end of season nine, however, all bets are off. I think there's going to be a return to that crass sexual humor, but if they tone down Vala it may not be so bad. We'll see, but I'm already concerned.
                      I'm concerned as well, but from what I hear they have planned for the character there's a likelihood she could become more than the cardboard-cutout space girl they've given us thus far. I'm hopeful but MORE concerned than hopeful. Powerful redemption or cliche space dominatrix? Time will tell, but the opportunity is certainly present.

I'll buy this as well. The old "we don't know what to do with your character" thing seems like the kiss 'o death to me. I guess its hard when you have to write from season to season, wondering if you'll have another one; as opposed to when they were on Showtime and were contracted for a number of seasons all at once (if I recall correctly???)

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        that's what i think is gonna happen. shanks and tapping will be pushed out, judge will be tolerated as long as he's content to keep up his silent role and doesn't make waves and stargate sg1 will die to be replaced by something else, starring cam and vala.....maybe the two of them run off, leave the sgc and earth and go rogue...all to find vala's super baby
                        well, one thing's for sure about that scenario...they won't call it the Harcesis child....maybe it will be the Narcissus' Child...sorry couldn't resist....

Comment

Forgive me if you all have seen this NY times article, but it gives some interesting quotes about the purpose of season 9 and the future of the show:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/ar...1tv-cover.html

Particularly of note was this quote: Mr. Cooper said that at one point he expected Season 9 to have one main purpose: to bring the series to a close. "We thought, 'Maybe it's time to fold up the suitcase,'" he said. The plan was to phase out the original "Stargate" and shift energy to its spinoff, "Stargate Atlantis." But "Stargate SG-1," which is bolstered by a core group of fans called Gaters, proved more durable than that: a 10th season is now in the works. And so instead of winding things down, Season 9 has been used to pep them up, with new characters and ideas. "We decided to sort of reinvent the show," Mr. Cooper said. "We have the best of the old and the best of the new going forward."

kinda makes you go hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                            I guess its hard when you have to write from season to season, wondering if you'll have another one; as opposed to when they were on Showtime and were contracted for a number of seasons all at once (if I recall correctly???)
                            It's my understanding that Showtime gave TPTB numerous seasons at a time (2? 3?) but once they moved over to Skiffy they were renewed one season at a time. I imagine it only makes shows more difficult to write, especially ones that have large story arcs like BSG, and to a lesser extent, Stargate. However, it seems like one-season renewals are the standard, not the exception, when it comes to most TV shows, sci-fi or not.

I wish we had 22 episodes a season like Showtime did rather than the 20 given by Skiffy.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                              Forgive me if you all have seen this NY times article, but it gives some interesting quotes about the purpose of season 9 and the future of the show:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/ar...1tv-cover.html

Particularly of note was this quote: Mr. Cooper said that at one point he expected Season 9 to have one main purpose: to bring the series to a close. "We thought, 'Maybe it's time to fold up the suitcase,'" he said. The plan was to phase out the original "Stargate" and shift energy to its spinoff, "Stargate Atlantis." But "Stargate SG-1," which is bolstered by a core group of fans called Gaters, proved more durable than that: a 10th season is now in the works. And so instead of winding things down, Season 9 has been used to pep them up, with new characters and ideas. "We decided to sort of reinvent the show," Mr. Cooper said. "We have the best of the old and the best of the new going forward."

kinda makes you go hmmmm...

What a bunch of horse puckey! RCC has already claimed that they would never again do what they did in season 8, which was *tie* up so many threads! Season 8 was a perfect place to end the show and do the final film, al la peacekeeper wars, precisely *because* of everything that could be considered resolved. (And there was the clearly now-forgotten mantra from JM: "No RDA, no season [fill in the blank].) If you planned on ending everything in season 9, why would you add a raft of new characters? Or plan on ending everything without the character that had been your lead for 8 years?

He just knows that the writer of that article is either clueless on the history of the show or has his/her own agenda for wanting the show the way it is, and he can get away with saying this stuff.

J.
                              "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

I agree DarkQuee1.There's no way TPTB wanted to wrap things up in Season 9.Like you said why bring in all the new characters.I'am not sure how durable the Gaters are with the ratings being down this Year.I also do not know how they have the best of the old without RDA.I see TPTB are still living in a Dream World.Scifi is desperate for a Show with decent ratings and TPTB think there doing a great job.

Comment

Working...
                                X