S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seshat
    What you suggest about more interaction between Vala and everyone makes perfect sense, which is why I am rather doubting that the producers will follow that course.

However, I think that the Vala/Cam dynamic will be pulled out of the hat as a publicity ploy when the ratings start to fall. That and nothing more. Lousy reasoning, of course. But lousy reasoning hasn't stopped them so far, has it?

Ah, I see what you are saying. Vala/Cam for publicity. But the thing about that is, no offense to BB or CB, but they really are not known outside of the scifi area. Also, most fans who like BB and CB are probably already watching--so I don't see how putting them more together in the publicity for the show will draw in more viewers because they are already there. The danger with making it either the Vala/Cam show or the Vala/Daniel show is that they really would be in danger then of losing a sizable portion of the viewing audience who wants to see a team working together and caring for each other as they save the world! Yes, they may go this way, and then they will lose viewers just like the X-files and other shows that changed so radically near the end.

Sidenote: I saw that Amanda Tapping is not going to do the other series, Whistler (which sounded really good actually) because the production schedules clearly conflicted. Whistler's schedule ends in mid-April and Stargate's schedule starts in February. I sincerely hope she made the right choice here. I can easily understand why she stayed with Stargate, but I wished she could have done both. I hope they treat her character well.

Comment

maybe she'll be able to work in a guest shot if they want her?
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        maybe she'll be able to work in a guest shot if they want her?

Maybe so. I probably won't expand my cable coverage for one episode
        though! I would for the whole series.

Comment

The whole situation with the change in format for SG1 reminds me of going out to eat at a restaurant. You been eating at this fun place for years because the food is pretty consistent, the service is good, the decor smart and the menu has something for everyone in your party. You and your friends each acquire a taste for favorite dishes along the way, and sometimes there's a wonderful surprise on the menu. Okay, some nights what you order is not quite as good as other times, but you find that the experience seldom disappoints. Over time this becomes your favorite place to eat on Friday nights.

Then you show up on your usual night to find that the restaurant has suddenly decided they want a "younger crowd". Their new chef has changed the menu to some kind of experimental cuisine, lots of the pleasant waiters have vanished and been replaced by surly waitstaff who are only looking to collect a paycheck, and you find it hard to find anything on the new menu that you even want to try. It looks a lot like the old place, but something has gone terribly wrong with the service and the product.

Determined to give the "new" place a chance, you go back several more times, but you discover that the service never gets any better, the menu is getting stranger, the food tastes awful. None of your friends wants to go there to eat anymore. And even the "younger crowd" that the management was so desperate to attract has figured out that lots of flash and two-for-one specials doesn't necessarily mean good eats. Eventually the place closes from lack of patronage. Not because they tried to do something new. But because they tried to do too much at once, and lost everyone in the process.

Of course, maybe the management was looking to retire anyway, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
            Baawwaaahahahahahahahaha. I sooo forgot about that. Now that is true Irony.
            You know in my mind it does not really matter who instigated the sex kitten, cheap and sleazy act - TPTB - a/k/a The Boys at Bridge are at fault IMO whether it was the network or the Boys who wanted it.

If it is the network than the Boys have no spines and no integrity if they disagree and think it would hurt the show stand up for your principles on a show you helped create/make a success, a show that had respect and a show that was well written and intelligent for so many years, dam* the consequences (I am pretty sure because it is only 1 of 3 "hits" that sci-fi has they would not have pulled the plug on SG1 even if the Boys had said no to the sex kitten crap and stood up for their principles (if they have any) especially because it IS the 10th Season and SciFi wanted those bragging rights no matter what - they probably would have put on SG1 with that same title even if all 4 of the main leads had left after S8 just so they could say they had the longest running sci-fi show.

If it is not the network pushing the cheap, low class crap and it is the Boys at Bridge then - well then there really isn't anything to say at all . . . .

Comment

I get so disgusted only because the character of Vala has so much potential really, and she just seems so wasted. I honestly believe that CB is playing what she is being given, and perhaps even improving on it (!), but the scripts are just such juvenile writing to start with, so...
              JUVENILE - that's the word - what used to be intelligent is now just plain old juvenile.

Comment

The whole situation with the change in format for SG1 reminds me of going out to eat at a restaurant. You been eating at this fun place for years because the food is pretty consistent, the service is good, the decor smart and the menu has something for everyone in your party. You and your friends each acquire a taste for favorite dishes along the way, and sometimes there's a wonderful surprise on the menu. Okay, some nights what you order is not quite as good as other times, but you find that the experience seldom disappoints. Over time this becomes your favorite place to eat on Friday nights.

Then you show up on your usual night to find that the restaurant has suddenly decided they want a "younger crowd". Their new chef has changed the menu to some kind of experimental cuisine, lots of the pleasant waiters have vanished and been replaced by surly waitstaff who are only looking to collect a paycheck, and you find it hard to find anything on the new menu that you even want to try. It looks a lot like the old place, but something has gone terribly wrong with the service and the product.

Determined to give the "new" place a chance, you go back several more times, but you discover that the service never gets any better, the menu is getting stranger, the food tastes awful. None of your friends wants to go there to eat anymore. And even the "younger crowd" that the management was so desperate to attract has figured out that lots of flash and two-for-one specials doesn't necessarily mean good eats. Eventually the place closes from lack of patronage. Not because they tried to do something new. But because they tried to do too much at once, and lost everyone in the process.

Of course, maybe the management was looking to retire anyway, who knows?
                Great post!

I'm hoping this new chef comes to his senses and bring back part of his winning cuisine before it is too late! Maybe hire a female chef while he's at it. Or something.

Comment

However, I think that the Vala/Cam dynamic will be pulled out of the hat as a publicity ploy when the ratings start to fall. That and nothing more. Lousy reasoning, of course. But lousy reasoning hasn't stopped them so far, has it?
                  i'm hoping they'll pull out the sam/jack dynamic to pull the ratings in. yes, i'm an s/j shipper.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    i'm hoping they'll pull out the sam/jack dynamic to pull the ratings in. yes, i'm an s/j shipper.

sally
                    I hope so to. I read much about the Vala character but people always say how much they think they should stay real and as close as possible to the real military she just would not be there. You can't expect a military base to keep some one on it with freedom to roam around when she has proven to be a lier and a thief. She uses her looks to get her way. CB is a very good actress and pulls it off well but I find it hard to figure out how the writers can write her in to the show as a full time memeber of SG-1. It just doesn't sit right. I know many people believe it is great but is it the introduction of love and romance to a supposed military type show that they like. I think that because people couldn't have it with Sam and Jack they are eager to see it with Daniel and Vala. I think it would have had a more tasteful flare with them. They just seemed to be something you found yourself pulling for. I do not think if the writers wrote it well (ya right) that it would detract from the strong Sam character or become something sad. They seemed to fit together. Jack's Character is strong enough to let Sam's character grow and still be part of the military. Oh well we will just have to wait and see what they do to our show.

Comment

Maybe they will pull a "Dallas." Sam will wake up from being on the Promethius and Jack will be sitting on the bed next to her. She will tell him about her crazy dreams that she had while aboard the ship: Pete, Vala, the new guy from some sci-fi show taking over her job, the pasty faced ones, time travel, her father dying...Jack will look confused and then smile and say..."How about some cake."

Comment

I read this on the Solutions forum and was bothered by it (go figure):
                        Originally posted by Solutions Poster
                        "There's a huuuuuuge and heated debate on Vala at another forum, I'd say she is standing a trial there, but the verdict "guilty" or "not guilty" remains unknown at the moment. If you were going to be the judge, what your verdict would be: "guilty" = cannot be trusted AT ALL and doesn't deserve at all to become a member of SG-1, or "not guilty" = can be trusted at the end of the day and deserves to be invited by SG-1 to their "little Stargatey club"?"
                        Originally posted by Joe Mallozzi on Solutions Forum
                        Its funny you should bring this up since, just this morning, I was writing a scene in which Daniel and Landry have this very conversation. There are strong arguments on both side of the debate, and an added little element you all won't be aware of until much later.
                        So...let me get this straight.

Daniel, who was assaulted and held hostage by this woman on more than one occasion, will be arguing for Vala to join the team? Btw just for clarity's sake...I like Vala and think as of TPTB she makes for a more interesting character. I just don't see her as a "team player" so far...more of an opportunistic lone wolf type which would have a tough go at fitting into a structured military team.

This same Daniel who canonly has argued for Sam to lead the team in the past and, to the best of our knowledge, has had nothing to say about a gate noob leading the team over Sam is going to go to bat for Vala joining the team?

Who is he and what happened to Daniel Jackson? Was it the ascending thing or was it dying too many times? I barely recognize him anymore.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Daniel de-ascended without his brain, obviously. Sounds a lot like certain people I won't mention.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            I read this on the Solutions forum and was bothered by it (go figure)o...let me get this straight.

Daniel, who was assaulted and held hostage by this woman on more than one occasion, will be arguing for Vala to join the team? Btw just for clarity's sake...I like Vala and think as of TPTB she makes for a more interesting character. I just don't see her as a "team player" so far...more of an opportunistic lone wolf type which would have a tough go at fitting into a structured military team.

This same Daniel who canonly has argued for Sam to lead the team in the past and, to the best of our knowledge, has had nothing to say about a gate noob leading the team over Sam is going to go to bat for Vala joining the team?
                            If this rumor ends up true, I would imagine it's a set-up for Daniel/Vala. See, only Daniel can really understand that there's a virtuous and noble heart of gold that lies within Vala...

...Eeesh. Who's got the brain bleach?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              I read this on the Solutions forum and was bothered by it (go figure)o...let me get this straight.

Who is he and what happened to Daniel Jackson? Was it the ascending thing or was it dying too many times? I barely recognize him anymore.
                              Yeah - I know what you mean and I agree. Daniel has never been my favorite but he was okay. Now with some of his antics (such as no remorse or anything for the deaths of 2 innocent people and no backing up for Carter to be leader as he did in the past and those are 2 examples quickly off the top of my head but it also seems that these so-called script elves who are now writing the show have no idea what the character was in the past and the consistency of what was Daniel has gone the way of most of the rest of the show - down the drain) and the way they have changed him he's just kind of a jerk if you ask me. If he is well and truly the one arguing for vala then there is nothing left to hope for Daniel's character - the same Daniel who showed nothing but contempt for vala in the S9 eps I saw of them (albeit it was not much and what I saw was plenty believe me, but he certainly did not exude respect and trust for her character). This whole thing reeks. Perhaps,when Mallozzi says that they have a darker Daniel planned for S10 it is because he well and truly does become vala's slave boy and she turns him bad.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                                Yeah - I know what you mean and I agree. Daniel has never been my favorite but he was okay. Now with some of his antics (such as no remorse or anything for the deaths of 2 innocent people and no backing up for Carter to be leader as he did in the past and those are 2 examples quickly off the top of my head but it also seems that these so-called script elves who are now writing the show have no idea what the character was in the past and the consistency of what was Daniel has gone the way of most of the rest of the show - down the drain) and the way they have changed him he's just kind of a jerk if you ask me. If he is well and truly the one arguing for vala then there is nothing left to hope for Daniel's character - the same Daniel who showed nothing but contempt for vala in the S9 eps I saw of them (albeit it was not much and what I saw was plenty believe me, but he certainly did not exude respect and trust for her character). This whole thing reeks. Perhaps,when Mallozzi says that they have a darker Daniel planned for S10 it is because he well and truly does become vala's slave boy and she turns him bad.
                                While I don't want this to become an "I hate Daniel" thread, there are other things about him this season I find disturbing. From Prototype:

WOOLSEY: It almost sounds like you might find it in yourself… to forgive me…
                                JACKSON: …no.

Now if this were Jack, I could see this conversation happening because Jack's a lot more jaded and can hold a pretty mean grudge (see 2010 for a 10 year grudge or Evolution or Matter of Time for grudges held for even longer than that). But Daniel?

He was at one time the most compassionate individual and always saw the other person's side and took their feelings into account. Even in The Other Side when Sam got distracted by her military leanings, Daniel humanized the situation and got her to see the flip side of the matter.

It was just really dissapointing for me to hear him say that he would not ever find it in his heart to forgive Woolsey who made bad decisions for the right reasons. I could understand him being upset but the answer I was expecting was something like: "Maybe one day"...meaning "I can't forgive you now, but give it time because you're heart was in the right place." I find it disturbing that he's become more judgmental of others and frankly a bit hypocritical. I mean Daniel and ALL of SG-1 for that matter have done the same on numerous occasions.

And now to learn that we're in store for a darker Daniel in Season 10???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X