S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heya

just thought I'd check in and voice my absolute disgust at season 10.

Cameron I can live with...the rest...make me feel like bringing up the contents of my stomach
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

just like, well it was funny to watch her in PU beat the crud out of daniel. almost took my mind off the absurdity of a single person depopulating a whole space ship manned by the best and brightest earth has to offer.

does it really mean vala is that good or that colonel reynolds, gen hammond and the rest are complete and total idiots?????? (i go for the latter personally. if she was really that good, daniel would never have gotten the drop on her)

but as funny as folks may find that, it diminishes the show. it dumbs down teh show. it reduces these fine military officers to foils for silly jokes and charictures of themselves.
      Yep. I disliked Vala intensely in PU, so hearing that she was coming back did not make my day. And I disliked the entire ep for ruining everyone's character and turning everyone (including Vala) into idiots, all for cheap jokes. Hammond, who was always a sterling example of a commanding officer, just walks in General O'Neill's base, unannounced, and declares that he's taking two of the base commanders' personnel--all without calling Jack first, explaining that he needs these two (though, when Walter suddenly became a pilot is beyond me), listening to any protests but still indicating that it was a done deal. This should have been taken care of first.

It's extremely insulting to a general--including a subordinate one, because the regs don't let you diss a subordinate any more than they do a superior officer--to behave in that fashion, to walk in and take his people *and* the chair--and all in front of Jack's subordinates, including the SFs in the hall and Daniel. It undermines Jack's authority and position and was totally out of character for Hammond.

As was his going off to do the heroic task in the lower level. You don't have your highest-ranking officer--and *oldest* person present--do something like that. You don't risk him--and you don't risk that his lesser physical conditioning (compared to a much younger Marine) would compromise the task. And I can just see a battle-hardened Marine colonel possibly letting his superior officer die because he doesn't want to do CPR on a man??

the entire crew was incompetent--this is the *third* time Prometheus has been taken over and only once was it excusable ("Grace")--not only in the beginning, but also at the end, when Vala gets away. And what is the explanation for why Vala could get out of the brig at the end and overpower the guards, when she couldn't do earlier when only Daniel was on the ship? "Boy, she's good." Uh, TPTB, that' *not* an explanation; that's avoiding one. It was so obvious that they didn't *have* a good explanation--one that wouldn't have everyone rolling on the floor laughing in disbelief--and they weren't going to bother trying to find something that actually made sense.

Daniel was portrayed as a moron--and what kind of "girly" fight was that? Pulling hair, Daniel?--who got his butt whipped by Vala in the fight, managed to get the drop on her because he had a weapon--and then, while pointing the gun presumably in her direction, turns away to watch the computer screen. So, what exactly was he pointing the gun at, at that point? The wall? And Vala stands there with her hands up and doesn't jump him!

Yep, everyone was an incompetent idiot in that ep--including the writers. It hasn't gotten any better since then.

But they are clearly playing to a different demographic: not just Farscape fans, or fans who like that Daniel has had so much screen time (even though this character has *nothing* in common with the *real* Daniel), but also the boys with their shiny toys. I briefly went into the "Ethon" thread--this is going to be a follow-up to "Icon", an ep that practically put me to sleep. Oh, joy--and they were just burbling on about the space ships we're going to see. Yep, that's certainly why I turned into SG1 all these years.

J.
      "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

For me, the last 'good' episodes that i can recall - good being what i personally consider to be classic stargate are the reckoning/threads/moebius series

prior to that, well lockdown was pretty good, as was zero hour, it's good to be king

lost city, maybe. i found it rather blatant set-up (which is what it was, set up for the movie that never was and became bits and pieces of s8)

lost city did have its moments, however the last season that i honestly and truly enjoyed a majority of the episodes was season six

seaosn 7 was mostly about reintegrating daniel back into the show and accomodating rda's lessened presence while denying that it existed, season 8 was even more of that and season 9.....season 9 is one - thus far - seemingly endless homage to farscape or some other space opera
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
          Oh, joy--and they were just burbling on about the space ships we're going to see. Yep, that's certainly why I turned into SG1 all these years.
          lol you know whats funny? I was listening to the audio commentary for metamorphosis last night, the one which James Tichenor wrote. and he wanted to put lots of cool vfx in it, lots of cool looking machines and gadgets, and he said Brad Wright had to constantly remind him that these stories are not about the fancy toys, are not about the big machines, its about the people. the stories should be centered around the people because thats how the fans can truly connect to the show

whatever happened to those days huh?
          i wish brad would come back to SG-1 one of these days
          - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

I just wanted to revisit Simon's comment about sticking together. Now, I just want to say that I'm subscribed to both Anti-threads AND Pro-threads. It's just the way I am. Lately, I've been lurking in the negative ANTI threads , but I know that "antis" have a bad reputation...

So, how to we stick together and voice our concern without coming off as whiny, angsty antis? I mean, WE know that we've got valid points. Heck, people who don't totally agree with us know that we've got valid points.

But how do we form our concerns so we can move past that "anti" reputation and do something constructive?

I guess I'm just feeling a dire need to be useful these days...

Comment

well thank you for bringing that back up spaz, appreciate it

i dont have a problem with being perceived as whiney, I know that I am and Im proud of it, at least I have an opinion
              but the problem is what can we do that will grant us a serious audience? what can we do to let the people who matter (TPTB) know that we aren't annoying people on a forum just looking for something to complain about? we need to show them that we *care*

I think these anti threads get cast aside and ignored by everyone else purely because they think we've given up on the show and are just complaining. well, no, we're here because we HAVENT given up on the show, because we still DO care, otherwise we wouldnt have such a passionate opinion about where the show is going

I really want to do something about this because like I said, this show used to be important to us. It still is important to me. Lets fight for it. This is something that has belonged to us for 9 years, thats almost a decade, not many people can say they've stuck with something for that long

thats why I love you guys because you have passionate opinions, you're not afraid to express them and IMO, have the right view on where the show should be going

so what can we do to make sure TPTB listen to our opinions? I have no idea
              Im not saying we should force what we think/want on them, but its about putting our concerns out there in a way that will cause TPTB to listen. thats all, I would be happy in knowing that they just listened to us and actually carefully considered what we have to say.

the reason ive been really wanting to help and do something about this is cos ive been listening to this song too much recently. any enterprise or rod stewart fans here?

Cause I've got faith of the heart
              I'm going where my heart will take me
              I've got faith to believe
              I can do anything
              I've got strength of the soul
              And no one's gonna bend or break me
              I can reach any star
              I've got faith
              I've got faith
              Faith of the heart
              so follow your heart, do what is right, lets fight for what we love

that is all
              - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                lol you know whats funny? I was listening to the audio commentary for metamorphosis last night, the one which James Tichenor wrote. and he wanted to put lots of cool vfx in it, lots of cool looking machines and gadgets, and he said Brad Wright had to constantly remind him that these stories are not about the fancy toys, are not about the big machines, its about the people. the stories should be centered around the people because thats how the fans can truly connect to the show

whatever happened to those days huh?
                i wish brad would come back to SG-1 one of these days

yep, which is why, to me, s6 was the height of the 'good' stuff...and it seems, that the eps that i enjoy the most are the ones that brad has his hands in.

rob tries, but he gets too distracted by shiny toys and one liners and costumes and sets...and then we get a bunch of emotionless folks spouting lines...and no real emotion or depth.

rob gets so caught up in the story he forgets that without the characters, it's nothing more than letters on paper

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  I just wanted to revisit Simon's comment about sticking together. Now, I just want to say that I'm subscribed to both Anti-threads AND Pro-threads. It's just the way I am. Lately, I've been lurking in the negative ANTI threads , but I know that "antis" have a bad reputation...

So, how to we stick together and voice our concern without coming off as whiny, angsty antis? I mean, WE know that we've got valid points. Heck, people who don't totally agree with us know that we've got valid points.

But how do we form our concerns so we can move past that "anti" reputation and do something constructive?

I guess I'm just feeling a dire need to be useful these days...
                  You could just have confidence in yourself and your argument. I may be an "anti" but I can justify every opinion, so any pro wanting to have a moan about my attitude will have to deal with a discussion.
                  An anti is harder to ignore if they have to think about what is being said.
                  Although, TPTB appear to be selectively deaf.

Re: Lexa Doig
                  Her IMDB for stargate stops at episode 12. I'm guessing she is the collateral damage in Collateral Damage.
                  I hope SG1 hasn't sunk to rehashing Heroes already.

Re: S6
                  One of the things I love about season 6, apart from the interesting new character and the revised character dynamics, is that it was the last season to show a confidence in itself.
                  There was a master plan (admittedly thrown out the window after S6) and the episodes didn't twist in the wind because the writers weren't sure where they were heading.
                  Watching the last few seasons where enemies were introduced and then dispatched in double quick time, I'm missing the feeling that anyone knows what is going to happen next.

And a new enemy for S10? Ori not powerful enough?
                  To quote PDL from Wormhole Extreme they just want it "Bigger!"

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                    Although, TPTB appear to be selectively deaf.
                    lol its annoying when that happens eh

i guess thats one reason why an anti s10 thread wont hold much ground, because its just some random thread on some internet forum made by some anonymous people, thats much easier for them to ignore

so yes, im also trying to think of something "Big-ER" as PDL says to try and get TPTB to notice us
                    - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

i would say, if there's aspects of the show that you don't like, write Bridge and tell them. posting here...eh, it's easy and venting. and easy to ignore. but snail mail still counts.

should there be a 'campaign'....eh, up to you. I won't organize one. I may write a letter or two, and have written several over the years, but - despite the apparant success of the campaign to bring back daniel/get rid of jonas - i personally think individual letters and opinoins matter more than cut and pasted form letters

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                        snip, snip -- Granted, we still have no idea how many eps feature Vala - it could be all 20, it could be here and there - but any episode with Vala is too much for me. And I'll be extremely disappointed if the writers put her, a thief and troublemaker, on the trusted SG1 team and/or set up some catfight tension between Vala and Sam (some fans are already hoping for this, sadly).
                        JMallozzi has confirmed on the Solutions question forum that she will in fact appear in all 20 episodes - too bad, IMO. That's probably 20 eps I will not watch unless it sounds like vala is minimized in some of them and then I will have some fast forwarding to do for those.

Comment

happy, happy joy joy!!!!!!

should we start taking bets when mupptes start to show up???? or how lont it takes vala to sink her claws into cam???

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

should we start taking bets when mupptes start to show up???? or how lont it takes vala to sink her claws into cam???

Can I say, about 11 episodes and 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                              My opinion is that folks should be very, very careful about being too anti-Season 10 at this early stage. A full 10 episodes of Season Nine are completely unaired, there is no confirmed casting (beyond Ben, perhaps), and no confirmed writers/producers beyond Rob C. and Brad W. It'd be a little like complaining about Season Two after watching "Children of the Gods" through "Thor's Hammer."

It's fun to speculate based on rumors, but rumors are rumors, and they're also rumors rumory rumor rumors. Or so it's rumored.
                              I agree. Sometimes fans try and guide the writers down the path they like and it ends in disaster. I became a very large fan just last year and bought the complete 8 seasons in dvd to catch up. I like the way they wrote in the beginning with lots of off world stuff. They spend to much time on earth now and seem to have lost their way and focus. Maybe they'll get it back but to date I think they are loosing their focus. I have issues with the Vala character in that the military would not let someone like her character be a full part of a team like this. She shows no respect for the military and the ways of the military. She shows it at every chance. Sitting in on a debriefing with her feet up in a chair. Even Daniel and Tealc show more respect than that. Oh well we will just have to see. It is ultimately the writers who will make or break this show with season 9 and 10. I know if I do not see improvement I wll quit watching. It already doesn't make me rush to the set.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

Puppets - not sure. Cam - probably within the first 5 eps - then let's sit back and watch the fireworks from the Danny ranters and the vala lovers who will soon all turn on vala - won't that be a sight. All turning on the character they begged to keep! Wishful thiking on my part, maybe, but with the way TOPB have been going I won't be surprised when it does happen (nor will I be surprised when we see the puppets - just not sure how long it will take them to write them in).

Comment

Working...
                                X