No announcement yet.

S10: nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SG1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am excited about season 10 My only wish for the new season would be maybe some fresh writers. Not to say the old are anything to sneeze at.....but I have seen some of the old *ideas* from early SG-1 already recycled on Sg-1 and now those same concepts have been utilized on SGA. I definitely realize that there is a limit sometimes to the extent that Sci-Fi can go.......BUT I see that more as a writing problem. Even re-cycled ideas can seem new and fresh when seen through new eyes.

I absolutely want to continue to see more SG-1 as long as they keep expanding or pushing the egde of the envelope. With Sci-Fi they have the luxury of using so many *real world* events as an inspiration and putting that spin on it to make it not only profound but entertaining as well. However, I do keep in mind that SG-1 is a bit of a *lighter* show at times and that is one of the many reasons I love watching it
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
      *thumbs up*

I find that those who hate are (no offense intended) very anal when it comes to their hatred... there is no middle ground, it is simply "I hate what they are doing/I won't support the product or buy the DVD's!"

I have enjoyed Stargate from Season 1, and have seen it develop, change, etc. and while even I have not liked every single thing, I have always liked the overall show, and have enjoyed both season 9 of SG-1 and season 2 of Atlantis... and I see the next seasons to be just as good.

And, yes, I like Vala
      I post my pro- thoughts for season 10 in here, and my anti- thoughts in the anti-thread. And so do lots of others, btw, who read both threads AND the S10 General Discussion. It IS possible to feel happy one of my favorite show is continuing and still have doubts about its evolution. And to want to share those thoughts with others.

The one thing I don't do is denigrate other posters for having opposite opinions, which is why I am respectful to my fellow posters in ALL the threads. "Respect your fellow users" is one of the rules around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
        The one thing I don't do is denigrate other posters for having opposite opinions, which is why I am respectful to my fellow posters in ALL the threads. "Respect your fellow users" is one of the rules around here.
        It isn't denegrating, it is using the tried-and-true method of stereotyping people - I am very happy that you work both corners and feel confident in both pro- and anti- threads, but a majority of people who hate something often do not live in the middleground. You have every right to call Me anal for believing they are anal if you so wish.

But I might have to sic My Jaffa on you.

Comment

It isn't denegrating, it is using the tried-and-true method of stereotyping people - I am very happy that you work both corners and feel confident in both pro- and anti- threads, but a majority of people who hate something often do not live in the middleground. You have every right to call Me anal for believing they are anal if you so wish.

But I might have to sic My Jaffa on you.
          LOL Made me giggle.

I can't agree about few of us fans being in the middleground on their feelings about the show, though. It's not a black or white issue for many, more like a love/hate relationship. The show would have to pretty one-dimensional for folks to be completely anti or completely pro, and I think it's more than that. At least I am willing to consider that most folks are at least as complex as myself in their emotions.

There are things I love about a season 10, like seeing Sam back fulltime (please) and hopefully some more stuff for Teal'c to do besides look askance. I wanna see Cam fleshed out, and more on our new General. Here's hopin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
            There are things I love about a season 10, like seeing Sam back fulltime (please) and hopefully some more stuff for Teal'c to do besides look askance. I wanna see Cam fleshed out, and more on our new General. Here's hopin'.
            I totally agree with you - I definetely want to see Cam fleshed out as well, but I also want to continue to see Vala's flesh as well... my main complaint about the anti-establishment is they feel Stargate should not have any "adult" subject matter such as sexual innuendo, or others who feel Sam is perfect because she doesn't need to show off her body like Val does - but as I said above, we've grown with Stargate and I believe the show has matured and we, as viewers, can handle the sex.

Also, we have always been witness to death and violence - and while I am a tried-and-true American (well, that is, when I use this primitive planet for cover, I work from the cover of an American), I agree with Europe when it comes to the issues of violence vs. sex.

It's ok to see the life run out of the face of an actor, to see them die, yet when someone talks about making babies or that they want to hump Daniel, people gasp and think it is awful.

Comment

It's ok to see the life run out of the face of an actor, to see them die, yet when someone talks about making babies or that they want to hump Daniel, people gasp and think it is awful.
              Funny, isn't it? Or sad. One of those, anyways.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I totally agree with you - I definetely want to see Cam fleshed out as well, but I also want to continue to see Vala's flesh as well... my main complaint about the anti-establishment is they feel Stargate should not have any "adult" subject matter such as sexual innuendo, or others who feel Sam is perfect because she doesn't need to show off her body like Val does - but as I said above, we've grown with Stargate and I believe the show has matured and we, as viewers, can handle the sex.

Also, we have always been witness to death and violence - and while I am a tried-and-true American (well, that is, when I use this primitive planet for cover, I work from the cover of an American), I agree with Europe when it comes to the issues of violence vs. sex.

Since this is the pro- thread, I can't really have a discussion with you about your generalizations here, it wouldn't be fair to the pro posters whom I dearly respect. Why not come to the S10 general discussion thread sometime to talk about it? I think you will find that no one on either side of the Atlantic is as single-minded in their opinions as you seem to think they are. All folks are welcome there as long as they are willing to discuss opinions without judging the posters who make them.

Comment

Yay season 10.

lol (sorry, the anti-thread is so popular ). Why am I looking forward to the 2nd half of season 9 and season 10? i don't mind the change... I know some people don't like change, and they wish the show was the same show from season 1. But its not - that's why shows change, and sometimes they survive and sometimes they die. X-Files is a good example.

I think Stargate will definetely survive, its a new franchise. But we'll see

Comment

But we'll see
                    I definitely think SG-1 can survive past season 10. IMO, tptb still have the winning formula when it come to story-telling. And if they can develop our new characters even a fraction of what they did for the earlier seasons, I think we'll be well off. I'm going into this all smiles.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I'm excited right now because of the fact that SG-1 will be the longest running Sci-Fi series ever.

Comment

I don't know but I want vala back!!
                        We are followers of eternal Hathor!!

"We are the queen of the Gods, we are the mother of all Gods."

Comment

Originally posted by nodrog
                          I don't know but I want vala back!!
                          Oh, we'll be getting plenty of her. I just can't wait to see how all this time in the Ori galaxy will have affected her. How different she may be.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Over at the Solutions forum Joe answered a question regarding whether Daniel (or Teal'c) will tell Vala about Sha're/Amaunet. Joe said that they/he would in "Counter-Strike". He also said that it was "very possible" that something would be made of Sam and Vala both having the experience of being ex-hosts.

This makes me even more excited about S10. For a start, it's acknowledging and drawing on the past mythology, which is something that many fans have been crying out for. It's also a way for closer bonds (or at least understanding) to be formed between Vala and Daniel, Sam and Teal'c.

I loved Vala at the begining of the season and think we got some tantalizing glimpses of her previous life which I'd love to see explored. The fact that her experience as a host can be explored in connection to events in SG1's past make this even better. I know some people are saying that she doesn't fit on the show but hopefully, tying her in to past Stargate mythology will help with that, (although some people are not going to like her what ever they do )
                            Last edited by yabyumpan; 19 December 2005, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yabyumpan
                              Over at the Solutions forum Joe answered a question regarding whether Daniel (or Teal'c) will tell Vala about Sha're/Amaunet. Joe said that they/he would in "Counter-Strike". He also said that it was "very possible" that something would be made of Sam and Vala both having the experience of being ex-hosts.
                              Oh I so hope they follow through with that. *crosses fingers and toes*

Comment

Originally posted by yabyumpan
                                I know some people are saying that she doesn't fit on the show but hopefully, tying her in to past Stargate mythology will help with that, (although some people are not going to like her what ever they do )
                                Boy isn't that the sad truth. Some people just refuse to be appeased. Good post, by the way. I hope a lot of this does come to pass. These things would really help Vala grow as a character, and fit in more with the team.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X