PDA

View Full Version : The Fantastic Three (208)

Alex Rubit
November 10th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
"The Fantastic Three"

"The Fantastic Three"
Ep: 2.08
Release Date: November 10th 2005
Written by Alex Rubit

As Chase, Arina, and Dr. Jay Felger are kidnapped by a group of Ventorians who are after something Arina has in her possession, an adventure begins that leads this trio of heroes to a strange planet and some surprising discoveries.

Alex Rubit
November 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I'm afraid I have to apologize, since this episode is coming a bit late. It seems there's been a delay, and right now I'm actually waiting for our webmaster to show up.

All I can do is ask you to have some patience, until things are sorted out here.

Alex Rubit
November 10th, 2005, 03:20 PM
The episode is now available on the Stargate: Horizon (http://www.stargatehorizon.com) homepage.

Enjoy. And let's see if we could get some discussions going here this time. Share your opinion on the episode in this thread. ;)

AzMcNeil
November 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Well I have to say that I was really worried about this script. Only a few people know how deep my hatred for Felger is but Alex did a great job at making him acceptable in this episode for me. More importnantly that Felger, I loved the Chase/Arina ship thing going on, if they aren't a couple then I don't know what is. Awesome job SGH crew! :D

Alex Rubit
November 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Well, gang, all technical delays have been resolved, and the episode is now available on the homepage (http://www.stargatehorizon.com), so I'll be taking down the temporary link. There's a nice picture of Felger, by the way. ;)

Well I have to say that I was really worried about this script. Only a few people know how deep my hatred for Felger is but Alex did a great job at making him acceptable in this episode for me. More importnantly that Felger, I loved the Chase/Arina ship thing going on, if they aren't a couple then I don't know what is. Awesome job SGH crew! :D

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, you have to wonder what's going on between Chase and Arina. I hope to encourage some speculations and discussions. And just look at what the baby's name turned out to be. :D

Calicto
November 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Why didnt the team kill Dureg?????

Alex Rubit
November 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Why didnt the team kill Dureg?????

The reason was really that it wouldn't have made any difference. If Dureg hadn't returned to the Enoly, they would have just sent out another Mediator to check what happened. So, in the end, it wouldn't have made any difference with regard to the big picture, and it wouldn't have weakened the Enoly in any way.

So, since he was unarmed and no immediate threat, and since they are - as Felger pointed out - the good guys, they really just focused on getting the heck out of there. ;)

Calicto
November 11th, 2005, 06:05 AM
But still, it doesnt make sense realistically.

Dureg still knew what happened that day. He got experience. He knew how the humans attacked and the method of surprise they used. Therefore, if he was allowed to return, the Enoly would know that they were capable of this and therefore equip all alphas with "shields" or something. Along that line, Dureg knows something. They should have just killed him.

Alex Rubit
November 11th, 2005, 08:50 AM
But still, it doesnt make sense realistically.

Dureg still knew what happened that day. He got experience. He knew how the humans attacked and the method of surprise they used. Therefore, if he was allowed to return, the Enoly would know that they were capable of this and therefore equip all alphas with "shields" or something. Along that line, Dureg knows something. They should have just killed him.

Yeah, I guess that's something to debate about. It would be interesting to see some more oppinions on this.

What's important to keep in mind is that the Enoly have encountered the humans in battle before, back in Season One, so Dureg didn't really learn anything new about them from that point of view. Especially since they also used the method of a surprise attack in "Counterpoint". So, sure, they could have killed him. But he was unarmed and no threat at the time. Generally it's just the Alphas who will be armed most of the time, and after they were taken out there wasn't much he could have done.

SirGrimlock
November 11th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Great episode to show the lighter side of things for the Horizon team.

As for Dureg, I don't agree w/ them killing him off. But it would have made more sense to capture him and bring him back to Horizon instead of leaving him there. Same goes w/ Arkalis, he should have been brought back to face his crimes.

Just my 2 cents.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 11th, 2005, 12:53 PM
IIt seemed to me that Dureg was just kinda forgotten, but not that I really care much because it was such a funny episode. It's been a good week for humerous SG shows with Atlantis airing Duet this week in the UK.

I loved that moment when Chase said he'd quit Horizon and him and Dureg had the talking about the past going. I LOLed more than a few times during this episode. Although, some of Duregs stuff did seem out of character just to fit the humour of the episode. I did like his comment about opposing humaniod marriages though, that made me laugh.

Shame we didn't see Felger do more though, I thought it would have been a more prominent character, but he seemed more like a backing up character since he didn't do all that much. Saying that though, I thought the Chase/Arina thing that was started'll be fun.

I loved the character interaction throughout, it was a pretty funny and The Ties That Bind style episode and I down right loved it. Way - to - go. http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/vala/valaanime05.gif

Elite Anubis Guard
November 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Also I loved those brothers, lol that dumb one had me laughing. Reminded my of Jayne in Arial when he just said the dialogue they had prepared and he sounded like a tit.

Alex Rubit
November 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Great episode to show the lighter side of things for the Horizon team.

As for Dureg, I don't agree w/ them killing him off. But it would have made more sense to capture him and bring him back to Horizon instead of leaving him there. Same goes w/ Arkalis, he should have been brought back to face his crimes.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode.

With regard to them taking along Dureg as well as Arkalis, that would have made things difficult. It's important to remember that the primary objective was to get the needed proof back to the Ventorian government. So by remaining on the planet any longer, and taking along all of the bad guys, they would have risked something going wrong. This is something where one can argue about whether or not they should have done that, but that was the reasoning behind it. They took the ship right to the Stargate, from where the team dialled Horizon. Unfortunately the scene where they get back to the station (just as Tom is proud to have found an ideal Spacegate address) was cut before it was written into the script, since the episode was (once again) getting too long.

I think Arkalis will be getting his punishment, in addition to the punishment he's already received by his now ex-wife. If the Ventorian government doesn't come for him, he'll definitely have to watch out for the Enoly tracking him down.

Alex Rubit
November 12th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Shame we didn't see Felger do more though, I thought it would have been a more prominent character, but he seemed more like a backing up character since he didn't do all that much.

Yeah, the episode really focues on the whole team, which we call "the fantastic three" of course. The idea of combining a Felger episode with the sequel to "Other Cultures..." was just something I think we all loved. The moment in teaser where something goes horribly wrong is obviously a nod to the teaser of "Avenger 2.0". Felger actually almost says the exact same line in both episodes. ;) But other than that, we wanted to do something very different, which I think was the only viable way of bringing Felger back.

I also have to say that A LOT was cut from the original outline of this episode. Originally the episode was going to end with an old fashioned Felger dream sequence, and it was descibed very detailed in the outline actually. Maybe we should release this outline as a special feature one of these days.

Alex Rubit
November 12th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Also I loved those brothers, lol that dumb one had me laughing. Reminded my of Jayne in Arial when he just said the dialogue they had prepared and he sounded like a tit.

And I thought they were named appropriately. :D

Elite Anubis Guard
November 12th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Ye, it'd be cool to see those features.

SierraGulf1
November 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Perhaps if given enough time you could even type up how that sequence would have gone as an extra. :D

Alex Rubit
November 12th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Yeah, that's an interesting idea. I would definitely have been a fun sequence. :D

Elite Anubis Guard
November 12th, 2005, 02:58 PM
But there is just the question of that lovely time constraint.

Alex Rubit
November 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM
But there is just the question of that lovely time constraint.

Yeah, the main reason it's not in the episode is the time constraint, because the episode really couldn't be any longer. If we'd do this, the scene would be released seperately, more or less as a deleted scene.

mentalmichael
November 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I've really enjoyed all of season 2 so far, but I'm afraid I feel the writers have lost it a bit on this episode. The use of the "stupid guard" was quite honestly not that funny, and the characterisation of Dureg seemed completely inconsistent with what we have seen before. The whole reminiscing thing was just out of character, as was the fact that the "team" didn't try to kill him or at the very least take him prisoner. Also Felger is one of those characters the writers (and here I'm talking about the sg1 writers) thought would be funny but just wasn't. Actually I must admit that the horizon writers did very well making him just as annoying as in the show.

This may seem overly harsh but in all honesty I thought this was the worst episode yet.

Alex Rubit
November 15th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Actually I must admit that the horizon writers did very well making him just as annoying as in the show.

Thanks, I guess. It's always tricky when you're dealing with characters from the TV shows, because you need to make sure they're consistent with the way they've been featured previously. I guess Felger came across just the way he always has. ;)

Yeah, this is one of those episodes that you either love or hate. Just like I think you either love or hate Felger. While some might think Dureg was out of character, I think we've just seen him from a different side, not just from his evil and threatening side. We haven't seen that much of him yet anyway.

But, no worries, the next episode will be the complete opposite to this one. It really shows how versatile this series can be, and that you'll never know what will come next. In fact, I'll say the next episode will have what might be a bit of a shocking twist in it. In a way kind of reminiscent of "Meridian". If anyone wants to speculate, go right ahead. Don't we all know what happened in that particular SG-1 episode... :D

SierraGulf1
November 15th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Good to hear mixed opinions. Whether you thought Dureg was out of character or not, I'm sure he'll be up to his old scheming ways the next time we see him.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 28th, 2005, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't say out of character, just we saw a different side to him is all. I've began to re-read this episode and all Felgers fuss at the beginning about this being an important discovery didnt seem so...important. It just seemed you wanted it in so it began like Avenger.

Alex Rubit
November 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't say out of character, just we saw a different side to him is all. I've began to re-read this episode and all Felgers fuss at the beginning about this being an important discovery didnt seem so...important. It just seemed you wanted it in so it began like Avenger.

I agree. He definitely doesn't seem out of character. Thus far we've seen Dureg only in three episodes prior to this one. I don't think we know him that well just yet, and, just like all characters, he's got different aspects to his personality.

That thing with Felger in the beginning was never intended to be important for the episode. However, it's not there necessarily to be similiar to "Avenger 2.0" (only that certain line of Felger's is meant as a little reference ;) ), it was much rather a way of justifying having Felger on Horizon, which was something we had discussed in length actually. The question was, what would he be doing there? Eventually it became that he was there to do some practical tests of some upgrades that he's proposed for maximizing the power efficency the station is drawing from having Vorian and Earth systems combined. What was in the outline, but didn't make it into the episode is that the goal was to create enough extra power for them to be able to at least establish a brief wormhole connection back to Earth. As we know from "Connection", that wouldn't be a problem, if it wasn't for that neutron star that's kind of in the way.

Anyway, that's the "significance" behind Felger's introduction scene. And I just couldn't resist having him accidentally shut down the artificial gravity, and to just take it a step further... well, we know what happened to his lunch. Fortunately it happened off screen. :D

Elite Anubis Guard
February 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I've began re-reading this again and my god it is long. Still not sure about Felgers fuss at the start with it being important. I do however still find it funny. The Tall/Stupid Guard reminds me of the relationship between Janitor and Sloppy Joe Guy in Scrubs.

SierraGulf1
February 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, we've shortened them now, but 2.01-2.09ish are a bit lengthy.

Nothing should go above 75/76 pages anymore.

Elite Anubis Guard
February 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Well just finished it again. I think having Dureg as the surprise was quite interesting, must have made quite the surprise for the first time readers. Lol, I really liked the dialogue between Chase and Dureg.

On the note of being reminded of Scrubs, Arina actually reminded me of Jordan.

I still like how you changed the narative to suit the comical nature of the episode but it did get a bit silly at points. I liked how we saw the Tellurans again(I must re-read Gambit) will we be seeming them sometime in S3? Or Arina and Chase Jr?

Wineblood
February 21st, 2006, 06:36 PM
I still like how you changed the narative to suit the comical nature of the episode but it did get a bit silly at points.

I agree with that. Given that I really hate Felger this episode became unbearable at points.

Alex Rubit
February 21st, 2006, 10:08 PM
I liked how we saw the Tellurans again(I must re-read Gambit) will we be seeming them sometime in S3?

Maybe.

Or Arina and Chase Jr?

For those two check out the back half of Season Two first.

Elite Anubis Guard
February 22nd, 2006, 12:39 AM
Oh, they come back later do they. Awesome.

SierraGulf1
February 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
'Twill be a while, but it seems as though they shall.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 22nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
On reflection, this is a better episode than I thought it was at first. Parts of it, I still don't like, but a lot of the humor was spot-on.

Naonak
September 5th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I thought it was a very funny episode for the most part, although the Stupid Guard did start to annoy me after a while. Most of it was spot-on though, and I'm one of the apparent minority that kinda likes Felger, so it was neat seeing him. It was a neat twist bringing the Enoly into it.

Interesting insight into Enoly culture, too... ;)

Why is the poll ended?

SierraGulf1
September 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Hmmm, you're right... That's strange. Hopefully that will be fixed in the near future.

Glad you enjoyed the episode. I never really had a positive or negative opinion on Felger. He was funny at times, and we enjoyed having him on Horizon.

cheese
January 13th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I was a bit concerned that this one was going to be a 'comedy' episode when i first read that because whenever a fairly serious series does that it's very hit or miss.

The not-entirly welcome return of Felgar early on only added to the worry, because I'm really really not a fan of his at all.

But after reading it all I think it is more hit than miss. A lot of the more humourous touches worked very well, giving us a far more lighter adventure. The baby scene in Callen's office scene worked really well.

Arina being back was a nice little addition. I don't blame Callen for not being keen on her plan.

The return of the Enoly was interesting too. We now see another aspect to their technology, being able to transport people through Stargate's. Also the establshment that the Enoly ARE in charge of the Ascendant empire now was a nice point (I don't think it was directly stated before, but I could be wrong, it had been a while since I've been reading Horizon)

The Chase/Arina relationship is an interesting one, it was implied at the end that we've got SGH's first romance on the go now (other than David being married of course, but then we haven't seen his wife, yet...)

Dureg felt a bit off, he went from a strong bad guy to appearing to be, well a bit soppy really. Hopefully if he's ever back again that he will be very much back to his usual evil ways.

The ending was a bit weak, but it's hard to do a big conclusion to a comedy episode, and in general the story was pretty good with all the twists and turns and the lok at CHase/Arina.

Senku
September 2nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Although the poll is closed, my vote is 'Good'. Kind of a weird-comedy ep., with some hilarious moments. All the story matchs the mood of the 'previous' two Felger eps. in SG1 and I coincide with cheese about the 'baby scene' in Callen's office: it works pretty well indeed.

I thought that all the first Chase/Arina scene was a kind of weird side effect of the experiment with the reactor, at first... LOL

Was too weird seeing Dureg playing along the comedy, really, but that's all in the game with this kind of episodes...

Edit: Oh! I almost forgot one little thing... The Saragossa system?? That's the catalan and german spelling (english too?) for the spanish city Zaragoza!! I was very surprised to see that name there ;)

jelgate
November 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
This won't be my average post because I have had a busy day and want to go to sleep. An average episode that deals with some development with Chase. We got to revist an old culture and see Dureg. He is my favorite Horizon villians. Chase Jr. :lol:. The thugs got annoying but besides a good episode