X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Female roles in Scifi

I came across this article:

http://scifibrain.ign.com/index.php?...k=view&id=1311

So last week, I began listing my Top 10 Female Roles in Sci-Fi. I counted down from 10-6, with my list including Ambassador Delenn, Chloe Sullivan, Lt. Kara Thrace, Princess Leia Organa and Dr. Beverly Crusher. Some of you agreed with my list, and some of you didn’t. Not really a problem, as it’s my list, my column and I can say what I want! Ha!
    When I tried to come up with my own list based on what I'd seen it was much harder than I actually thought. Disregarding the female characters that were merely attractive, nice, or likeable, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of important well rounded female characters in the genre which made finding ten a bit hard... but all the same, of the ones I counted among the best:

Top Five in no order

1.) Dana Scully - Great character whom I could respect all round. She was a skeptic on a level that was sometimes hard to believe but you had to respect her doubting Thomas attitude because there's no way she's just going to take your word for it which made her a much more believable scientist and FBI agent.

2.) Sammantha Carter - Well we should all know what's great about her. She's smart, she's female, she kicks ass and she doesn't complain. She can be a little too perfect at times but without her brain SG1 would be an ongoing argument about to shoot or not to shoot with 'shoot' winning everytime. She balances out the team.

3.) Kathryn Janeway - I know most people won't agree with it but I actually liked her, if not her hairstyle. She was the first stong female presence in the ST series and she did it well. If she was a bit indecisive at times it only rounded her character for better or worse.

4.) Lois Lane - not the current one so much but all the Lois lanes in the past. Sometimes I hated her, sometimes I loved her but as characters go, she was pretty memorable. I preferred Terri Hatcher's version but Erica Durance is growing on me. She doesn't take crap no matter how many times she's been kidnapped, fallen off a sky scraper, taken hostage.... some situations required superman but everything else she handled just fine. Besides she had great lungs for screaming and that has to count for something

5.) Aeryn Sun - Shes the kind of woman a guy might keep around for his protection. She's like a superhero without the superpowers and the desperate need to save the world. She just kicks ass and she doesn't make excuses for it.

Honorable Mentions

The Borg Queen - wiggly spinal colums are both creepy and cool. And having millions of drones at your beck and call isn't half bad either.

Max Guevara (Dark Angel) - Had potential but the story just never served her well.

Ellen Ripley (Aliens) - An excellent mix of common sense and brawn

Cylon Model Six
    - I neither watch nor like BSG and I'm still fascinated by this character.. and she has an awesome wardrobe too

Dr. Molly Cafrey
    (Threshold) - Much potential here waiting to be discovered. Can't say I'm wowed by the series but her character does make me more interested in watching.

Dr. Beverly Crusher
    - Common sense a sense of humor, practicality and a committment to her duty with none of the awfulness of the temporary replacement Pulaski

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Would Buffy count? If so she is one of my faves.
    As far as a list, great, now I have to think?

Top 5 that I can think of:
    Delenn (B5)
    Samantha Carter (SG-1)
    Buffy (if she counts)
    Kira (DS9)
    Chiana (Farscape)
    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
    Pay it forward

Comment

1) Samantha Carter - Beautiful, smart, and tough. She is a perfect part of SG1. There has been a lot of character development with her, she's just all around great.

2) Kara Thrace - I just love her rogue-ness. She can be a loner, or she can be a close friend. She has her own way of doing things, living outside the box, and even though she's got a problem with authority, she still knows right from wrong.

3) Kathryn Janeway - IMO she was an excellent leader, made the tough choices even when she didn't want to, but always did things the moral way and holding her crew to the high standards of Starfleet, rather than giving up and becoming corrupt because of their situation (like the Equinox crew).

4) Vala Maldaran - If I was filling this out last year, she wouldn't even be a consideration, but she's proven herself in season nine. Very funny and sassy, and while she is irreverent, when it comes to the big picture in the end she usually does the right thing. Plus her chemisty with DJ(MS) was perfect.

5) Aeryn Sun - Just loved her character all around. Shes like Teal'c in a way, warrior turned freedom fighter. Her relationship with Crichton was great, and she was a good dynamic to the show.

Honorable Mentions (all of these kinda tie for 6th place lol):

-Delenn
      -All the ST girls
      -Elizabeth Weir
      -Maggie Becket
      -Teyla Emmagen
      -Janet Fraiser
      -All the BSG girls
      Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 10 November 2005, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
        Would Buffy count? If so she is one of my faves.
        As far as a list, great, now I have to think?
        I can't believe I forgot Buffy and Willow as well. They both are in the top ten. It's always been fascinating that a pint size blond girl would be destined to save the world and I never doubted that she could for a moment. The characters on Buffy were awesome.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Dark Willow was totally awesome.
          All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
          Pay it forward

Comment

Dang this is hard. I do agree with the artical writer on the top two... not sure which one I would pick at this point, but since she included my favorite Ivonova quote....but then Im on a stargate forum and she had a good quote too...

1. Lt. Colonel Sam Carter (Stargate: SG-1) - “You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.”

2. Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5) - “I am Susan Ivanova, Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, goddammit! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me.”

3. Delenn (Babylon 5) had some great line herself, though they were usually more on the wisdom side then Ivanova... I did like the "only one human has ever defeated us and he is behind us, you are in front of us" line... heck that entire scene makes me cheer every time I see it. The Delenn\Sheridan ships was one of the few I ever appreciated, probably because it was pretty subtle.

4. Princess Leia Organa (Star Wars) - Well when I was younger we didnt have a lot of cool strong females to choose from. I think Leia was one of the first. Kinda btchy in the first movie and occasionally kinda did the damsal in distress, but not too much to push her off the list.

5. Who to put at 5..... actually more worthy canadates then I would have thought... can't get over the thought I am forgetting someone (from a non-Stargate show). I think I will reserve spot #5 for now, I hate finality.

Ellen Ripley
            Janet Fraiser
            Aeryn Sun
            Teyla Emmagen
            Dana Scully
            Dr Elizabeth Weir
            Pa'u Zhoto Zhaan
            Dr. Beverly Crusher
            Ensign Ro Laren
            Abigail Whistler (Blade: trinity)
            Kira (aka Jack) (chronicals of Riddick)
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Amanda Tapping -Samantha Carter (SG1)
              Sarah Mishelle Geller - Buffy Summers (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
              Rachel Luttrell - Teyla Emmagen (SGA)
              Eliza Dushku - Tru Davies (Tru Calling)/ Faith (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
              Claudia Black - Vala Mal Doran (SG1)
              Last edited by The Signal; 13 November 2005, 03:06 AM.
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

1) Samatha Carter....SG
                2) 7 of 9....Voyager
                3) Kira Nureese....DS9
                4) Vala and Aeryan....SG and Farscape
                5) Jadzia Dax....DS9
                6) Guinan....TNG
                7) Buffy....Buffy
                8) Trance....Andromeda
                9) Rommie....Andromeda
                10) Ensign Ro Laren....TNG
                11) Willow....Buffy

I could go on and on with all the great female scifi characters....I truly enjoyed Whoopie Goldberg and Guinan from TNG and 7 of 9 from Voyager.... Kira and Jadzia from DS9 were kick but ladies that were feminine and strong!....Trance and Rommie from Andromeda made that show watchable for me.....Buffy and Willow (especially Dark Willow) were fantastic....Claudia Black as Vala (SG1) and especially Aeryan from Farscape were also great strong female characters....Carter is #1 though!
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Ellen Ripley
                  Dana Scully
                  Sam Carter

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Ivanova, Lyta, B5

Aeryn, Chiana, Farscape

Ro, ST:TNG

Zoe, Kaylee, Firefly

I think of those my favourite is Zoe. She's got a role, both on the ship and in her marriage, that would traditionally have gone to a man. Yet she's written and played so that she neither loses her femininity nor emasculates her husband, nor does she come over all butch and overcompensating like Jayne. She's cool even when she's stressed to bits. The thing with the Ear was quintessential Zoe, refusing to betray her poise and just concentrating on the task at hand.

Chiana is interesting cos she uses sex to get what she wants from other characters without the writers using Chiana-using-sex to get a rise from the audience. (Compare & contrast Lexx or even BSG, where Six does both - not that I have a problem with Six, but it's a bit overdone in SF.) It's just another facet of a character, like Dargo's aggression or Zhan's selective information-sharing, and just as likely as either of those to benefit her and her friends as to get them into trouble.
                    Last edited by Madeleine; 12 November 2005, 08:26 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

Wow, picking my top #5 SciFi characters is really hard to do. I really enjoy female characters that are strong and intelligent and who don't need a man to take care or rescue them. Woman who can play with the big boys without looking totally out of place. Who are capable of pulling their own weight and who don't really worrying about breaking a nail or getting dirty.

Unforunately I'm not a big television watcher so I seemed to have missed out on some of the more recent kickass female characters that have emerged onto television over the past five years, but these are some of the characters I consider to be some of the best female roles in Scifi.

Samantha Carter( SG-1 )

Dana Scully (X-files)

Princess Leia (Star Wars)

Trinity (Matrix)

Ripley (Aliens)

Sara Connor (Terminator II)

Zoe (Serenity) - just recently started to watch this series on DVD.

Jean Grey (X-men)

Beka Valentine (Andromeda)

Honorable Mention...
                      They aren't necessarily SCIFI characters, but they were totally kickass
                      female characters none-the-less.

Buffy
                      Xena
                      Gabrielle
                      Laura Croft (Tomb Raider)
                      Eowyn (LotR)

And last but not least...these two woman may have been on cheesy shows, but they were
                      kickass characters to me for the time...

Jamie Sommers(Bionic Woman)
                      Colonel Wilma Deering (Buck Rogers)
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 14 November 2005, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X