PDA

View Full Version : Gateworld Article- Browder: Bring on Season Ten!

BritAngie
November 8th, 2005, 11:21 PM
As I couldn't see the usual discussion thread for this article I thought I'd start one. ;)

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/11/browderbringonseasonten.shtml

Ben talks about how much he's looking forward to season 10 and a bit about season 9.

Great article guys! Just one thing though I'd like to ask- I know the ratings are slightly down on last year - but I read somewhere that the number of subscribers/viewers who get the sci fi channel have gone up and as a result a 2.00 this year represents more people tuning in than last year so to compare the two really may not work on the face of it without knowing how many viewers each point respresents. So could it be possible that a 1.9 this year could be the same number of bodies as last years 2.00 or potentially more? Also isn't there the issue of the particular age demographics the channel are aiming to capture which isn't reflected in this figure as it's an avarage of all of them I think. Year on year any channel/viewing sample will reflect the growing or shrinking size of any channel and it's potential audience so does the nielsens adjust for this or does anyone analysing them get a starting figure of what 1 point relates to in any given year for their market (be it cable or terrestrial)? I mean it would be impossible for a cable subscription channel to get more viewers tuning in than they have subscribed but that top number must fluctuate year on year?

Ack ratings do my head in! :D

Kas
November 9th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Media Savant will be able to explain it all Angie... but my understanding is that it is correct that due to market coverage the amount of bums on seats is greater per point this year to last. However, the fact is, the slight drop is unimportant given the changes to cast, story etc... SG has proven that with this cast line-up, it has wings and will succeed on it's own merits. And we still have the rest of the season.

SciFi/Sony/MGM were quick to renew the series because it continues to be a success for them and has increased viewership quite dramatically in the desirable demographic ranges. I am just pleased to see that Ben is looking forward to returning for a Season 10 and we have a chance to see the stories/his character not hampered by events of the past but given a chance to really fly... (In fact, I'm really hoping to see that in the 2nd half of this season). :)

prion
November 9th, 2005, 03:58 AM
As I couldn't see the usual discussion thread for this article I thought I'd start one. ;)

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/11/browderbringonseasonten.shtml

Ben talks about how much he's looking forward to season 10 and a bit about season 9.

Great article guys!

I've never seen Ben Browder give a disappointing interview.

ONly thing I found odd was the line "At the time of this interview, news of Michael Shanks's possible exit from the show had also surfaced." It's all been fan speculation that he won't return, not news. He just hasn't signed, just like AT hasn't signed, and who knows who else is still negotiating contracts... ;)

Kas
November 9th, 2005, 04:26 AM

ONly thing I found odd was the line "At the time of this interview, news of Michael Shanks's possible exit from the show had also surfaced." It's all been fan speculation that he won't return, not news. He just hasn't signed, just like AT hasn't signed, and who knows who else is still negotiating contracts... ;)

Ditto and Ditto Prion.

Now that you've mentioned it, you're so right... everything is just rumour - not news. If Gateworld is basing their report on Michael's agent saying 'work-wise he's a free agent'... then that is true of everyone until they actually sign a contract and we know that they are in negotiations at present.

Wass
November 9th, 2005, 04:35 AM
I remember reading an article while back where RCC said shows being renewed is more to do with money then rating although they are just as important, it comes down to how much $$$ it would cost to make the show and pay the cast.

Michelle05
November 9th, 2005, 07:47 AM

ONly thing I found odd was the line "At the time of this interview, news of Michael Shanks's possible exit from the show had also surfaced.")

I have to say I also was uncomfortable with the phrase "many viewers have had mixed opinions on the character and the show's new direction." I think that's a gross generalization and a pretty negative thing to say after Ben went to the trouble to give GW an interview. Yes, some posters on this site have had a mixed reaction, but other forums are much more positive about Cameron and S9, and none of the on-line forums represent "many viewers" anyway.

I just feel bad on behalf of BB to read this in an interview he granted to a fan site.

Kas
November 9th, 2005, 08:00 AM
I have to say I also was uncomfortable with the phrase "many viewers have had mixed opinions on the character and the show's new direction." I think that's a gross generalization and a pretty negative thing to say after Ben went to the trouble to give GW an interview. Yes, some posters on this site have had a mixed reaction, but other forums are much more positive about Cameron and S9, and none of the on-line forums represent "many viewers" anyway.

I just feel bad on behalf of BB to read this in an interview he granted to a fan site.

Another very good point Michelle. I agree wholeheartedly. It is a gross overgeneralisation. While expecting some negativity, I'd hate for him to believe it's many... We are but a small proportion. If you read the episode verdicts, the reactions on the whole are very positive. Mind you, he does say
Obviously it was a concern coming in on Season Nine, 'Would this be the last year? Would this work?' To the degree that it has worked and people have tuned in, it's a pleasure to have the opportunity to come back and do more."

so the feedback to studios and actors must be defaulting to the positive. :)

ShardsofGlass
November 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM

I don't mind that Gateworld is bringing up negative opinions of the character. I'm sure Ben knows what people thinks. He's known to lurk online and read viewers opinions. What I didn't like was that they mention it and then don't follow up with anything, so it came across as a dig rather than a legitimate interview question. Hopefully, things will be clearer when we see the actual interview.

so the feedback to studios and actors must be defaulting to the positive.

I'm sure the studio and everyone is happy with the ratings and that did so well despite all the cast changes. People here debate all kinds of details about whether or not something is working, but really, if you think about it, the ratings have been really good, and that's what counts to the networks.

prion
November 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Yeah, 'many' is a gross generalization. Many on this site, the net, someone's neighborhood? Fan forums represent a tiny sampling of the viewership.

Michelle05
November 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM
What I didn't like was that they mention it and then don't follow up with anything, so it came across as a dig rather than a legitimate interview question. Hopefully, things will be clearer when we see the actual interview.

Yes, I very much hope that in the full interview either this generalization is removed or if it isn't, Ben is given a chance to respond. It's GW's story and their right to print whatever they want but it's just surprising to me to see them take this tack with the actor, that's all.

AzMcNeil
November 9th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I thought the interview was great. I personally enjoy Ben being on the show now, he seems to bring some of the child-like fascination the show has been lacking in the recnt years, My only complaint form the article though and maybe it's nothing, but Ben mentioned pay being a reason for his possible staying and I thought that was a little rude to be mentioning. I might have taken it out of context but if he wants to stay, just say so, don't mention something like pay, it makes you seem like a money hungry jerk...IMHO :D

AzMcNeil
November 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM
And just to clarify...I know the money is an important part of why the cast stays but I don't feel as if it is necessary to point it out :)

Michelle05
November 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM
My only complaint form the article though and maybe it's nothing, but Ben mentioned pay being a reason for his possible staying and I thought that was a little rude to be mentioning.

I didn't think he meant it literally at all. I thought he was just saying as long as they have a place for him in the show, he'd like to keep doing it. In other words, as long as everyone's happy for him to be there, he'll stay. That's my read, anyway.
:)

Dani347
November 9th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I thought the interview was great. I personally enjoy Ben being on the show now, he seems to bring some of the child-like fascination the show has been lacking in the recnt years, My only complaint form the article though and maybe it's nothing, but Ben mentioned pay being a reason for his possible staying and I thought that was a little rude to be mentioning. I might have taken it out of context but if he wants to stay, just say so, don't mention something like pay, it makes you seem like a money hungry jerk...IMHO :D

IMO, it's an honest answer. I think there's a stigma that money is a dirty word. No one really expects people to turn it down (I hope, especially for a job) but "we don't speak of such things." Why is it more acceptable to say you'll stay if the stories continue to be interesting, than it is to say you'll stay if you'll continue to get paid?

AzMcNeil
November 9th, 2005, 02:22 PM
IMO, it's an honest answer. I think there's a stigma that money is a dirty word. No one really expects people to turn it down (I hope, especially for a job) but "we don't speak of such things." Why is it more acceptable to say you'll stay if the stories continue to be interesting, than it is to say you'll stay if you'll continue to get paid?

I completely understand someone turning down a job on account of money, but I think it was a little out there to mention it and an article that the fans would read. But as I said before that is just how I read it. Everyone else has there own viewpoint on what was said and I stick by what I said earlier, Ben Browder rules! :D

keshou
December 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Did the full interview with Ben Browder ever get released on GW?

The excerpts were posted in early November and indicated the full interview would be up soon.

Any idea when it will be released?

Assuming I didn't just miss it - in which case -I'm obviously a doofus.

:rolleyes: :D

Darren
December 27th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Ben is up next. Look for him before new episodes arrive on SCI FI next week!

keshou
December 27th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Ben is up next. Look for him before new episodes arrive on SCI FI next week!
Yay! Thanks Darren.

:D

ellenrose
December 28th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Yay! Thanks Darren.

:D

Ditto. Looking forward to it. :D

BritAngie
December 31st, 2005, 04:38 AM

Ben was being relaistic and most likely also flippant aswell. *g* Difficult to tell from the interview. But I have to ask-hands up how many of us stay in a job if the pay is good? He has a family to support you know like the rest of us. He's being very honest if anything. :cameron:

CKO
January 1st, 2006, 01:57 PM
ohhhhhhhhh thx for that info Darren :) lookin' forward to seein' that interview....