Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my Atlantis Season 1 DVD Set today (region1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my Atlantis Season 1 DVD Set today (region1)

A week in advance to review.
    Yay I love my job.

Its definitely a departure from the SG-1 sets. They went for the double-disced slimline DVD holders, and the cardboard slipcase is very thin as well.

It looks fairly good, but they keep making the same artistic mistake as they do in alot of their promotional art: The Atlantis gate is the SG-1 gate, just with blue instead of red. They didn't actually use the Atlantis gate's look (the star field dots, etc) - you know what I mean.

Anyway. The special features aren't very engaging this time around, but who knows for the future. Looks like just a bunch of commentaries, and few featurettes really. I've watched a few. Watching Rising right now.

Anyway, here's a pic of the set and a few shots from the menus:

Menu 1: http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8161/cap0015pu.jpg
    Menu 2: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3763/cap0028jc.jpg
    Picture of set:
    (click to see full size)

lucky ba**ard

Menus are cool though. They are the same as the U.K. SGA DVD
    sigpic

Comment

Only got to wait til February next year here in the UK...

I'm intrigued as to what the art for the UK ones will be, and what style of packaging they will use, since the other R2 ones are those book style cases, like what they used on the Tru Calling boxset...

How many of the eps on that set have the commentaries..?

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
      "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

I'm soo waiting for it to come out in Australia. I can't even remember when it's suppose to be out.

Comment

Oooh! Thanks for the info!!

What are the details on the commentaries - which episodes have them, and who does them?

I heard that features were in short supply on this one, which is sad. The R2 sets had some awesome ones (love the Mission Directives!). What do we get in this set?
          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
            I'm intrigued as to what the art for the UK ones will be, and what style of packaging they will use, since the other R2 ones are those book style cases, like what they used on the Tru Calling boxset...

usually australia follows either the UK or occasionally the US in regards to dvd boxset design as well as content(we rarely have our own edition, and if we do its lower in quality). but, ours which is released on 16/11, just 1 day after US is different to theirs. so maybe the UK will look like ours?

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/779170

Last edited by shazzboy; 07 November 2005, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee

pretty much all have commentaries. I don't remember from glancing at it. A good number do though.

I DO like the slimmer cases cause
              a) it will save space on the shelf
              b) It'll be easier to identify the sets, unlike SG-1 where there really aren't definitely titled spines.

Comment

Originally posted by shazzboy
                usually australia follows either the UK or occasionally the US in regards to dvd boxset design as well as content(we rarely have our own edition, and if we do its lower in quality). but, ours which is released on 16/11, just 1 day after US is different to theirs. so maybe the UK will look like ours?

Woot I'm soo buying

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                  Oooh! Thanks for the info!!

What are the details on the commentaries - which episodes have them, and who does them?

I heard that features were in short supply on this one, which is sad. The R2 sets had some awesome ones (love the Mission Directives!). What do we get in this set?
                  Looks like there's commentaries for 14 of the 20 episodes - if i counted right.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                    Wow I wonder if we get that in region 4

Comment

Originally posted by shazzboy

oh sure, your box-art has the correct stargate look.

FAIR.

Why is the US so half assed?

Comment

Thanks Morbo and Shazzboy for the info...if the Aussie one has the same stuff on it as the rest of the R2 ones, I might just get that...

As long as I can get my hands on a set that has all the existing extras on the UK singles, plus the commentaries we didn't get, I'll be happy...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                        "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna have to pick that up when it becomes available. Why not, I already have a whole shelf-and-a-half devoted to SG-1. Might as well collect Atlantis as well.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                            Ooh! OOH! Would you be so kind as to tell us which episodes? (and I'd also really appreciate it if you could post who exactly made comments on which episode! )

Thank goodness Rising pt 1 and 2 were included in the set. I was mildly concerned that they were going to cheap out fans because those eps were released early.

I figured that the packaging would be similar to other recently released DVD sets. I prefer the skinny cases too as my bookcase is getting rather stuffed.

*salivates with anticipation*

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRider
                              Woot I'm soo buying
                              i wonder if our version is an australian only edition or is just another copy of in this case of the UK? we rarely get our own editions, and when we do its lesser quality, like with Farscape. i wonder why ezydvd hasnt listed any of the special features yet? there bloody be atleast some!

i found these special features details for Region 4 release on ebay. i dont know if theyre 100% accurate, but its all i could find in regards to the special features content for the Australian edition. how do they compare to the US? crap probably.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/STARGATE-ATLA...QQcmdZViewItem

*SPECIAL FEATURES*

Trailer: Stargate SG1

Theatrical Trailer

Main Menu Audio & Animation

Featurette: Stargate Atlantis Set Tour With Martin Wood & Peter DeLuise

Featurette: Preview Of Stargate Atlantis

Gallery-Photo

Web Links

Featurette: Diary Of Rainbow Sun Francks

Featurette: Atlantis Mission Directive: The Storm/The Eye

Audio Commentary: Writer And Cast - Childhood's End

Featurette: Mission Directive: Sanctuaries

Featurette: Wraithal Discrimination: It's Not Easy Being Green

Audio Commentary: Cast And Crew - The Storm, The Eye, The Defiant One

Featurette: Mission Directive: Before I Sleep

Featurette: Mission Directive: The Brotherhood

Featurette-Behind The Scenes: Behind The Stargate: Secrets Revealed Part 1 And Part 2

Audio Commentary: Cast And Crew - Hot Zone, The Gift, The Siege Parts 1 & 2

Featurette: Mission Directive: The Siege

Featurette: A Look Back On Season One With Martin Gero

Featurette: Preview To Season 2
                              Last edited by shazzboy; 07 November 2005, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X