PDA

View Full Version : 10th Doctor (Spoilers)

Willow'sCat
November 3rd, 2005, 03:47 AM
Well since we have Doctor threads now ;) I think we need to have a tenth Doctor thread. (I did a search and no-one seems to have started one).

So it is confirmed that David Tennant will appear as the 10th Doctor in a Christmas Special to screen in the UK. So how about posting in here when he starts giving your opinions of his portrayal. :)

Of course you can talk about your opinion's of him already if you like. :D

Stricken
November 3rd, 2005, 04:16 AM
I am going to reserve judgement for the time being

Dallista
November 3rd, 2005, 06:10 AM
I'm trying to remember if I've ever been in this situation before, that I was looking forward to a television series because I liked the actor so much... probbably not. ;) I got the Casanova DVD the other day and loved it, and now I'm counting the days to Saturday so I can watch the next installment of Blackpool (which currently airs on a Belgian channel, CANVAS). David Tennant is a fine actor, and even if the Tenth Doctor turns out to be, say, as obstinate as the Sixth, I'll probably still like him.

Willow'sCat
November 3rd, 2005, 06:21 AM
I'm trying to remember if I've ever been in this situation before, that I was looking forward to a television series because I liked the actor so much... probably not. ;) I can't wait to see what he does with the role. I am thinking humour (of course) but also more heart like maybe the 5th Doctor.

David Tennant is a fine actor, and even if the Tenth Doctor turns out to be, say, as obstinate as the Sixth, I'll probably still like him.Interesting I don't quite see that happening but who knows they may go for a turn around on Christopher's Doctor, I mean the look of David's Doctor is certainly different. ;)

Stricken
November 3rd, 2005, 06:58 AM
You can say that again :D

Dallista
November 3rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Interesting I don't quite see that happening
No, me neither. I guess what I was trying to say is, even if they were to make him the most annoying *******, I'd probably still like him because it's David Tennant. :D But of course I'm hopeful, and pretty sure, they'll make him into a likeable Doctor.

Only half a month until the Children in Need mini-ep/scene/whatever it's going to be called. Can't wait to see it.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 3rd, 2005, 08:01 AM
I am going to reserve judgement for the time being
Me too. I'll talk about him once I download the X-Mas special (I live in the U.S. so I'm forced to download it).

The Signal
November 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
There is a short episode next friday for Children in Need. It involves the first conversation of the 10th Doctor and Rose Tyler and will then lead into the Christmas Special so it is a must see. But the Writers are keeping their cards close to their cheasts so now much is known except for the fact that it is their first conversation

Hulabaloo
November 3rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
I havent even seen him in Cassanova so i have no idea what his acting is like.

Heres a bit of info of the new docter, and a pic:
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4735049.stm

The Signal
November 3rd, 2005, 09:51 AM
nor have i, but I have full confidence in the casting abilities of the creators of Doctor Who. so i am sure this doctor will be as good as the last, if not better. Although Chris Eccleston really was something incredible as the Ninth Doctor, so he does have his work cut out for him

creed462
November 3rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
I still haven't seen the ninth one yet so I don't have much to say.

Missster.Freeman
November 6th, 2005, 02:46 AM
There is a short episode next friday for Children in Need.

Thanks for the heads up :) I had forgotten about this. Just checked the TV guide.. I think Children in Need is on in two weeks time.

The Signal
November 6th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Yes,we had two TV guides and I read the wrong one :D

Willow'sCat
November 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM
nor have i, but I have full confidence in the casting abilities of the creators of Doctor Who. so i am sure this doctor will be as good as the last, if not better. Although Chris Eccleston really was something incredible as the Ninth Doctor, so he does have his work cut out for himHmm, you see this my main concern because as an older :o viewer I am so use to the actor changing and have more or less learned to except that the character will also change ( they tend to script the character to fit the actor rather then the other way around) but I worry that new viewers, kids, little furry animals wont get this and there will be a hate campaign, which to some extent happened just after David was announced as the new Doctor. (weasel indeed):cool: I think the Show is more important than the actor playing the Doctor but others may not be so accepting.

The Signal
November 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Well, although CE was a major art in what drew me into the show, the intelligence of the humer and scripts were refreshing. The show is, after all, for families, but does not talk down to the viewer. I know it will take a little getting used to, but thankfully, to clear the Doctor Who withdrawel symptoms I have been watching the old episodes from way back when TB was the Doctor, followed by PD, CB and SM, each of the caracters is very different, but the show itself never altered beyond the superficial areas of it, the heart (or hearts :p) of the show remained constant except for when SM came along, the show lost its lightness and began to take itself too seriously, but for that I blame the shows creators and not how the seventh doctor was introduced

The Signal
November 19th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Not really about the Doctor himself, but rather and episode from his era. In the two part episode "Paralell world" Shaun Dingwall will return as Pete Tyler

iLemon
November 19th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Did anybody know that DT was in Harry Potter GoF? He only makes a brief scene as Barty Crouch Jr but he was still terrific! :D

The Signal
November 20th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I knew before I went, but I was surprised at the extra scenes he had. He was great! Had a whole lip licking thing going on that was more than a little creepy. One thing would have made it better, seeing him "kissed" by the dementors, seeing a fearful side would be cool as well as the evil side.

creed462
November 28th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I saw the scene and it was classic Doctor I can't wait to see more. Being in the states theres no telling when that will be.......

Willow'sCat
December 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I think he is going to be really good if a little "busy" he seems to move about a lot. :p I like the way they have gone with the character he is still the Doctor but not like Chris, he is defiantly his own character. ;)

9.4 Million veiwers for the TCI episode that is good I take it? :)

Admiral Mappalazarou
December 27th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Tennant rules, but Eccleston was brilliant and I loved him as the Doctor.

Easter Lily
December 27th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Wow... here was I thinking that Ecclestone was going to be a hard act to follow... but David Tennant is a revelation... Oh my goodness...
The man can switch from quirky to Time Lord with an edge just by changing his voice.

He's gorgeous... I can't believe this is Barty Crouch Jr...

They are certainly setting up for lots more UST between the Doctor and Rose... He must be the youngest doctor so far...

Buzz Lightyear
December 28th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Did anybody know that DT was in Harry Potter GoF? He only makes a brief scene as Barty Crouch Jr but he was still terrific! :D

Yeah, I didn't realize that till I read a BBC article that mentioned it. For a while, I had a nagging feeling that I had seen this new Doctor Who somewhere else quite recently but just could not figure out where. :cool:

Willow'sCat
December 28th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Wow... here was I thinking that Ecclestone was going to be a hard act to follow... but David Tennant is a revelation... Oh my goodness...
The man can switch from quirky to Time Lord with an edge just by changing his voice.

They are certainly setting up for lots more UST between the Doctor and Rose... He must be the youngest doctor so far...Peter Davison was the youngest barely 30 when he took over from Tom Baker, David Tennant is 34 going on 35 April 18 same day as David Hewlett. ;)

Tennant is so good, so hmmm. :)

Easter Lily
December 28th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Peter Davison was the youngest barely 30 when he took over from Tom Baker, David Tennant is 34 going on 35 April 18 same day as David Hewlett. ;)

Tennant is so good, so hmmm. :)
Was Peter Davison that young? Never realised it.
Yeah... David Tennant's the same age as me... just a couple of months younger... So don't mind if I *has a shallow moment* drool... :D

Willow'sCat
December 28th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Was Peter Davison that young? Never realised it.
Yeah... David Tennant's the same age as me... just a couple of months younger... So don't mind if I *has a shallow moment* drool... :DWell of course once I came across this on the BBC web site I had to post it here.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/ironicfox/3eec8257.jpg

Aw lovely Peter and David. :)

Dallista
December 28th, 2005, 04:02 AM
[IMG]
I have been drooling almost non-stop over that picture ever since I came across it at the BBC website a few days ago. It's sooooo good! My two fave Doctors together in the same picture, what more can a girl ask for? :D Davison still looks cute... *sigh*

Willow'sCat
December 28th, 2005, 05:31 AM
I have been drooling almost non-stop over that picture ever since I came across it at the BBC website a few days ago. It's sooooo good! My two fave Doctors together in the same picture, what more can a girl ask for? :D Davison still looks cute... *sigh*What? Why didn't you tell me?!? :eek: :D Mine too. ;) Peter is not looking too bad for a um, guy his age. Oh if only this was for a 2 Doctors episode. :)

Dallista
December 28th, 2005, 08:55 AM
What? Why didn't you tell me?!? :eek: :D Mine too. ;) Peter is not looking too bad for a um, guy his age. Oh if only this was for a 2 Doctors episode. :)
Sorry. I hang out more at the Outpost Gallifrey forum. The picture was discussed there. It's a bit hard to keep up with different fora and discussions, and remember where what was talked about already. :S
PD's birthday is April 13, 1951 (and with David Hewlett and DT at April 18... must be a good month to be born in, heh), so that makes him 54.5 years old now. Yes, he still looks very good for his age!!

I think 5 is a magic number or something. Every fifth version of the Doctor is just special, hehehe.

Hulabaloo
December 28th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Wow, i saw the Christmas Day episode and thought it was great!

Tennant was very funny. And Doctor like.

I have to say, the Dressing Gown Doctor is a very nice look.

Egeria
December 28th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I adored CE as the Doctor and really was convinced that DT would in no way replace him...how wrong was I??? I feel like such a two-timer, I adored DT in TCI....I was so impressed with him, and it's only his first outing as the Doctor. S2 is going to be brill...can't wait.:)

Commander Ivanova
December 28th, 2005, 10:02 AM
the Dressing Gown Doctor is a very nice look.

Totally derivative, but at least they had the grace to credit Douglas Adams via the mention of Arthur Dent.

Easter Lily
December 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Well of course once I came across this on the BBC web site I had to post it here.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/ironicfox/3eec8257.jpg

Very nice, Rose... :)
I like Peter Davison's Doctor as well... second only to Jon Pertwee but if David Tennant keeps going the way he does... he could become my favourite... :D

Willow'sCat
December 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Totally derivative, but at least they had the grace to credit Douglas Adams via the mention of Arthur Dent.Well that was the point, after listening to the commentary (BBC website) Russell is very much a fan of Dr Who and he is well aware that Douglas Adams wrote numerous episodes of Dr Who it was IMO a nod of respect to the late Douglas Adams and a great idea. ;)

The Star Wars/Lion King bit I could live without but they need to appeal to a wide audience so I guess some modern references not Dr Who related are fine, but not too many or that will get old.

Missster.Freeman
December 28th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Geez ladies, you've got a thunk thread! You just can't help yourselfs :P It's no fair, there's no thunks for us guys :(

Egeria
December 28th, 2005, 05:20 PM
^ What about Rose???:D

Missster.Freeman
December 28th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah Rose is a lovely lassie, but there's no other totty for us. You have the doctor and captain Jack to thunk over :P

Lord Shiva
December 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM

They are certainly setting up for lots more UST between the Doctor and Rose... He must be the youngest doctor so far...

Really? I felt he was rather ugly... reminded me in one pic of a bad looking Charlie Sheen lol

But that's just a matter of opinion, I thought the last Doc was better, its really sad he didn't want to do more then a year.

Egeria
December 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah Rose is a lovely lassie, but there's no other totty for us. You have the doctor and captain Jack to thunk over :P

Yeah you're right...Cap'n Jack surely is a spunk but he just doesn't swing in my direction. So by all accounts it's the fellas that win here...they can gush over Rose and Jack and the ladies are left with the Doctor.:D:rolleyes:

Easter Lily
December 28th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Really? I felt he was rather ugly... reminded me in one pic of a bad looking Charlie Sheen lol

But that's just a matter of opinion, I thought the last Doc was better, its really sad he didn't want to do more then a year.
Well... to each their own... ;)
I think he's adorable although not necessarily handsome... funny, cute... and great comic timing. He's entire face lights up when he smiles.
It's just the first episode... early days yet...

Reefgirl
December 29th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Geez ladies, you've got a thunk thread! You just can't help yourselfs :P It's no fair, there's no thunks for us guys :(
So start a Assistant's Thunk Thread where you lads can drool in peace

Commander Ivanova
December 29th, 2005, 01:22 AM

Good point Reefgirl, but can I just mention there is already a David T thunk thread elsewhere so can we keep this one objective and thunk-free? I've already been ticked off for dissing DT on the other thread by mistake.

Willow'sCat
December 29th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Good point Reefgirl, but can I just mention there is already a David T thunk thread elsewhere so can we keep this one objective and thunk-free? I've already been ticked off for dissing DT on the other thread by mistake.Oh hardly "ticked-off" I merely pointed out to you that you were in the wrong place for criticism of David Tennant. ;) :D I then pointed you in the right direction namely here.

In here I think we can have both the positives and negatives and still be quite civil about it, and if one of the positives is that David looks cute then so be it.

Commander Ivanova
December 29th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Ok, I was "politely redirected" then. No offence taken (or given I hope)! Luv, CI

Missster.Freeman
December 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Okay sorry miss, I'm a bad boy :o

Metarock Sam
December 29th, 2005, 01:54 PM
^oooooook you better watch yourself Freeman otherwise you could get the perverbial slap from someone.

Btw what has happened to this thread? its supposed to be about the tenth doctor not complaining about how attractive certain members of the casts are. All that should go in thunk threads.

Missster.Freeman
December 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Oh dear *runs*

Yeah, I agree, it should be about the merits or demerits of the 10th doctor. I was only jesting when I posted yesterday, that's why I added smileys.

Metarock Sam
December 29th, 2005, 02:28 PM
^ I dont mind you playing around I was joking too but I was giving a word of caution at the same time. Still You put it all there Freeman. Plain and simply.

Willow'sCat
December 29th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Ok, I was "politely redirected" then. No offence taken (or given I hope)! Luv, CINo offence just a bit of harmless fun. :p

Ascended Times.2
December 31st, 2005, 05:41 AM
Well that was the point, after listening to the commentary (BBC website) Russell is very much a fan of Dr Who and he is well aware that Douglas Adams wrote numerous episodes of Dr Who it was IMO a nod of respect to the late Douglas Adams and a great idea. ;)

!? Douglas Adams wrote episode of Doctor Who!? This is news to me :jonas:
Also, lovin' the new doctor, he's just so...doctorish :) Also, the new outfit DEFINATELY suits him. :)

Reefgirl
December 31st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Here is where you'll find a list of the episodes Douglas Adams was involved with http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/people/douglas_adams.shtml

Willow'sCat
December 31st, 2005, 06:56 PM
!? Douglas Adams wrote episode of Doctor Who!? This is news to me
Also, lovin' the new doctor, he's just so...doctorish. Also, the new outfit DEFINATELY suits him. Yep Douglas was working for Dr Who in the late 70s around the same time he was working on HHGttG and you can hear it in some of the word play he uses.

As for David Tennant's Dr Who, I couldn't agree more.:cameronanime12:

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
December 31st, 2005, 09:57 PM
I heard Terry Nation was really miffed at Douglas Adams because he added silly dialogue into Destiny of the Daleks and had the Doctor mock their inability to climb stairs.

Willow'sCat
January 2nd, 2006, 01:43 AM
I heard Terry Nation was really miffed at Douglas Adams because he added silly dialogue into Destiny of the Daleks and had the Doctor mock their inability to climb stairs.I get the impression that Terry Nation was a bit precious about his Daleks, which I can understand, but come on they did have trouble going up stars and they had plunges, why plungers? I bet a lot of homes mysteriously lost their plungers the year the Daleks premiered. :cameron:

Metarock Sam
January 2nd, 2006, 05:27 AM
Douglas Adams also wrote the unforgettable 4th/8th Doctor story Shada which is very good although its a shame they had to remake it with the 8th doctor instead of the 4th (originally Shada wasnt finished due to a BBC stike). But it is a brillient story.

Reefgirl
January 2nd, 2006, 07:09 AM
Terry Nation's family gave their permission to use the Daleks in the last series but I think there were a fair few clauses attatched to it. Don't quote me on that tho

Reefgirl
January 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure whether it was here or another thread I made a half hearted promise of Dr Who/Atlantis crossover fan fic well here's the first bit of it http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A8111558

Ascended Times.2
January 2nd, 2006, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure whether it was here or another thread I made a half hearted promise of Dr Who/Atlantis crossover fan fic well here's the first bit of it http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A8111558

Lol, that is GOLD! :) Two thumbs up! please continue it, I'd LOVE to hear the interaction between the doctor and Mckay ;) Also, good to see you didn't forget Zelenka :)
(yay Zelenka!)

Reefgirl
January 3rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks and I remembered my promise to Egeria that there would be no Rose/Sheppard romance :D

Willow'sCat
January 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM

Haha, loved that more please. :)

Fave line: "Sheppard grinned as some of his men s******ed, this girl was going to be trouble. He looked her up and down, she was still a kid, shame she wasn't older."

lol You are naughty! :p And like that would stop him! :p :p Is it just me or did GW censor the word "s******ed"!!!! :cool: What is up with that? LOL must be a highly sensitive word censor.

Reefgirl
January 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM
The word is s******ed, maybe it's because it's an American site, s******ed is a supressed laugh.

I know what it is it's because the word contained outlawed American slang for Afro American

January 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM
The word is s******ed, maybe it's because it's an American site, s******ed is a supressed laugh.

I know what it is it's because the word contained outlawed American slang for Afro AmericanPerhaps, if you used the alternative spelling..."snickered", you wouldn't have that problem.

Hey, it worked! :D

Reefgirl
January 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Unfortunatly it doesn't have the same ring as "Sn-insert outlawed American slang for Afro American"

Willow'sCat
April 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
*BUMP*

Just thought I had better bump this thread just in case folks start making new threads because they don't use search and think we don't have a thread for the 10th doctor or worse still start clogging up the Thunk thread *it happens* with anti stuff. :S :p

So we have a start date for series 2 (28) of the 15th of April, great I should see it sometime after that. :p

Metarock Sam
April 5th, 2006, 01:53 AM
yep just one week 3 days 9 hours and 10 minutes to go.
And 'New Earth' looks brilliant !!!

Willow'sCat
April 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
yep just one week 3 days 9 hours and 10 minutes to go. And 'New Earth' looks brilliant !!!I am so excited! Last year I was less excited because I had to wait until the ABC screened it here but not this time. Oh no. :P

I just hope peeps give David time to settle into the role, I think the feedback on The Christmas Invasion was good for his Doctor but people can be so fickle. :S

Metarock Sam
April 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
well he has signed for at least 2 seasons.

Easter Lily
April 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
well he has signed for at least 2 seasons.
Now that is something to be excited about! ;)

Personally, I think DT will be fabulous... I can see him returning to the hammy roots of the first two doctors... :D

Krystal
April 9th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'm still seeing the 9th doctor and really enjoy him. Is going to be strange getting use to another but that is one of the things that make Dr. Who different from other series. So I'm looking forward to see the 10th doctor. :)

Willow'sCat
April 11th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Personally, I think DT will be fabulous... I can see him returning to the hammy roots of the first two doctors... I am hoping for more humour this series. Dark is good but humour whether "hammy" or not is part of Dr Who. Usually it is secondary so it doesn't take away from the story, I don't think Dr Who has ever gone with the "funny" episode like say SG, much to be grateful for there. Watching the older series however it is not surprising to find yourself laughing at things that are not actually meant to be funny. :p :D

I predict Tennant will be a great Doctor, I just hope I don't get the urge to slap this one. :P :cameronanime12:

The Signal
April 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Having seen the previews to the new series where I can, it looks like David is gonna be great, certainly with a lot of comedy about him, not so much in what he does but the manor in which he does it, much like the origional 2 Doctors

Egeria
April 12th, 2006, 05:11 PM
^ The previews do look fab. I honestly think DT is going to be brill, and I'm looking forward to a tad more humour. I adored CE, but this is the great thing about DW with a new Doc we get a new personality....keeps us on our toes. :D

Willow'sCat
April 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I am so hyped. :D Aw, who knew a TV show could make me feel like this after all these years. *sniff* it's a beautiful thing. :rolleyes: :P

Watching the trailers, he looks good, like he really belongs there in the T.A.R.D.I.S.

I can wait!

The Signal
April 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Anyone hit the red button on BBC2 at 5pm? Had some pretty awesome clips, including David in "deep thought" mode and more actiony mode. And I cant wait for Sarah/Rose moments, those two arguing is soooooo funny :D

Egeria
April 13th, 2006, 03:18 PM
^ I saw that, it was fab. Like you I'm really looking forward to Rose/Sarah Jane it looks like it's going to be a fun ep. :D

Nel
April 13th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Everything I've heard about the new series sounds great. The chemistry between the new Doctor and Rose looks terrific too. I like DT anyway, so that helps, but this could brighten up Saturday evenings nicely.

Willow'sCat
April 17th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Anyone hit the red button on BBC2 at 5pm? Had some pretty awesome clips, including David in "deep thought" mode and more actiony mode. And I cant wait for Sarah/Rose moments, those two arguing is soooooo funny I have only seen some things from the Dr Who confidential on the Sarah Jane Smith return, but it looks like a good eppy for getting the new and old companions together and who doesn't like SJS? :D I know The Doctor did anyway, might be some weird moments there. ;)

Have to say really did love David as The Doctor in "New Earth" and when I watched the DWC and heard Russell say he was writing him as before that made me happy, I think Dr Who needs to be consistent but sure the actor also needs to bring something to the table and they have got a good mix there I think. I honestly didn't miss Chris and I think that is a good thing for the show.

The Signal
April 17th, 2006, 02:49 AM
To be honest I have to say that Chris didnt even cross my mind in New Earth, David just played the part so well I just didnt even think "wish the ninth Doctor was here" for an instant. I think this Doctor is going to have the darker side to him too, but I actually think this Doctor is more extreme in his personality, more lively and happy than the 9th doc, but he also angers much quicker, and he doesnt hold back like Chris did, last year we only saw the level of anger we got from David in the episodes "Dalek" "Bad Wolf" and "The Parting Of The Ways", should be interesting to see how far this develops.

Formerhost
April 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
It was strange a little bit to see the new Doctor at the end of "The Parting of The Ways", but I absolutely loved him in "Christmas Invasion" and I'm going to watch "New Earth" tomorrow. David is HOT! :D

Metarock Sam
April 17th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I saw New Earth when it was shown but have only really just now got round to talking babout it on this forum :o .
I loved it and David fits the rle of New New Doctor perfectly. And all that Face of Boe stuff is hyoing me up. I also saw the red button fing 10 times and its so great !!!

Willow'sCat
April 18th, 2006, 12:42 AM
David Tennant's birthday today. ;)

Anyway. :cool:

To be honest I have to say that Chris didnt even cross my mind in New Earth, David just played the part so well I just didnt even think "wish the ninth Doctor was here" for an instant. I really think it is a good thing if people are not saying well he isn't Chris or he isn't as good or as this or that. I think Russell deciding to just write for The Doctor rather than strictly for the actor was the way to go. I have always thought that is what Dr Who does best, change the main actor but not The Doctor, not really. There have been touch and go moments but then in 27 years on/off air you will have that, but mostly you know where you stand with The Doctor.

He has always been rather dark in character, so that won't change thankfully with Tennant. ;)

The Signal
April 19th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Okay I have been wondering, am I the only one that thinks the Doctor seems more like the character David has made him into with his glasses on? I dunno, I saw the funky geek-chic in TCI and thought there was something missing, the outfit and the character werent the same, wheras the 9th Doctors seemed perfect as did the others before him (especially the 8th) on pops the glasses and the outfit suddenly fits the character perfectly. Odd huh, or is it just me?

Egeria
April 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Okay I have been wondering, am I the only one that thinks the Doctor seems more like the character David has made him into with his glasses on? I dunno, I saw the funky geek-chic in TCI and thought there was something missing, the outfit and the character werent the same, wheras the 9th Doctors seemed perfect as did the others before him (especially the 8th) on pops the glasses and the outfit suddenly fits the character perfectly. Odd huh, or is it just me?

Nah, I see where you're coming from. CE had his 'fantastic' thang going, to me the glasses are the same thing. Just like Tom Bakers Jelly Babies...to me the glasses are DT's Doctor thang. :D

Willow'sCat
April 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Nah, I see where you're coming from. CE had his 'fantastic' thang going, to me the glasses are the same thing. Just like Tom Bakers Jelly Babies...to me the glasses are DT's Doctor thang. :DOMG! I love the glasses. I thought it might have been once worn never seen again thing, but no they look like they are here to stay. :jack_new_anime07: :)

Easter Lily
April 20th, 2006, 01:39 AM

I like the glasses too... but I liked every Doctor's dress sense probably except for the seventh doctor... but that wasn't his fault. I think the glasses do add to the overall look of geekiness.

Have I said how much I'm going to like David Tennant's doctor... ;) He really does look like he is enjoying himself tremendously. I watched the recent Doctor Who confidential and the crew commented that he quite literally bounces onto the set. It really shows.

Willow'sCat
April 20th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I like the glasses too... but I liked every Doctor's dress sense probably except for the seventh doctor... but that wasn't his fault.The 7th? I liked his but the 6th now that was truly awful.

I wish they would have let David use his Scottish accent, it is so nice and not thick so he is easy to understand, although I think it came through just a little in "New Earth" so maybe they are not too fussed about what kind of accent The Doctor has and I can't wait for the episode set in Scotland, where he tells Rose not to say "Ock aye!" Lol. :D is that the next one?:S

The Signal
April 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM
^thats the next one "Ock ai, ive been oot and aboot"his face when she does that, I cant wait :P

As for the older Doctors, I never liked the question mark thing, it was as if the characters name was Doctor Who, not the shows name, kinda going against themselves there. But I didnt mind Sylvesters outfit, it reflected his character well, but the 6th Doctors was too bright and colourfull, almost the opposite of him IMO.

Easter Lily
April 21st, 2006, 02:10 AM
The 7th? I liked his but the 6th now that was truly awful.

*gulp* I can't count...:( I meant 6th... I should probably have said Colin Baker but poor man, he was made to do terrible things during his run. Why they put him in jester's out fit is beyond me?!
For the record, I did like McCoy's outfit.

April 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
*gulp* I can't count...:( I meant 6th... I should probably have said Colin Baker but poor man, he was made to do terrible things during his run. Why they put him in jester's out fit is beyond me?!
For the record, I did like McCoy's outfit.That was another JNT brainstorm.

"Okay, Colin, I want you to wear this and act obnoxious."

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 06:13 AM
"Okay, Colin, I want you to wear this and act obnoxious."Oh yeah that will work. :zelenka25: :rolleyes:

As for the older Doctors, I never liked the question mark thing
I never minded the question marks, but then I like a little bit of kitsch here and there. ;) I do own an inflatable Dalek after all.

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 09:05 AM
^lol, really? life size or smaller?

Notice how Chris was credited as "Doctor Who" while David is "The Doctor" I know he hates it when people call the character "Doctor Who" (he ranted about it on Jonathon Ross:P)

2 hours 10 minutes to go!

Egeria
April 22nd, 2006, 09:12 AM
2 hours 10 minutes to go!

As long as the footy doesn't run over. :) (C'mon Liverpool!!)

Hulabaloo
April 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM
I cant wait!

Easter Lily
April 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
I am really, really enjoying David Tenannt as the Doctor... He really has the right balance of enthusiasm and gravitas. There's been a lot of criticism of him elsewhere for being a bit too jolly but during his convo with the Queen about her husband, one could see the empathy and seriousness coming through.

Willow'sCat
April 24th, 2006, 01:54 AM
^lol, really? life size or smaller? Well it is 4ft so almost life size for me. :o :D It is like the one David Hewlett has but no, that is not the reason I own one, not really.:o

It's here... any excuse! :p

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/ironicfox/331d8731.jpg
Well you didn't think I would appear with it did you? :rolleyes: Not on GW anyway. ;)

Hulabaloo
April 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Great Darlek :lol:

No fair, there should be a David Tennent 'lol' hehe.

Egeria
April 24th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Great Darlek :lol:

No fair, there should be a David Tennent 'lol' hehe.

LMAO....I would soooo be first in the queue for one of them. ;)

Jonzey
April 24th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I think he seems much more 'fun' than the other doctors I've seen- like the way he and Rose had similar reactions when talking about how they met Queen Victoria and saw a werewolf and all that.

I guess it's more like a younger personality, kinda.

You know what I mean?

GhostPoet
April 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM
So, the new Doctor looks like a pretty boy who's very very stuffy.

Please say i'm wrong...I'd hope he's got witty british humor with a touch of sarcasm?

The Signal
April 24th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Please say i'm wrong...I'd hope he's got witty british humor with a touch of sarcasm?
Oh my you are COMPLETELY wrong :)(unless you have seen the new series, Im guessing you havent, in which case, I disagree with you :D)

This guy is an angry lil fella on one hand, but very light hearted on the other (much like the 9th Doctor but more so). Certainly not a pretty boy, actually more free and fun loving than the 9th Doctor (see Tooth and Claw's first 5 or so minutes for that one) you'll almost certainly like him. Oh, but he's a little rude from time to time, and he's not ginger, otherwise great! :D

Willow'sCat
April 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
LMAO....I would soooo be first in the queue for one of them. ;)Puncher kit in hand? :eek: *sorry* :o :p

Egeria
April 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM
^ *wets self laughing*.

We're off out this weekend to get our lass an inflatable Dalek, hope they've got a red one like yours (though I'd really want a black one). :)

Willow'sCat
April 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM
^ *wets self laughing*.

We're off out this weekend to get our lass an inflatable Dalek, hope they've got a red one like yours (though I'd really want a black one). :)Oh I really wanted the black one, but here in Australia I could only find the red "Movie" Dalek. Which is odd anyway because wasn't that movie in black and white? :S

Back on topic... I love the new Doctor! :) That will do. ;)

Easter Lily
April 24th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Oh he's pretty but definitely not stuffy... Quite adorable...

I'd say he was more like an enthusiastic schoolboy. ;)
There's a hidden edge to him lurking about.

Darkseid
April 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Oh I really wanted the black one, but here in Australia I could only find the red "Movie" Dalek. Which is odd anyway because wasn't that movie in black and white? :S

Back on topic... I love the new Doctor! :) That will do. ;)

The Cushing films were in Color. THey looked pretty good to as I recall. I only saw them once, and that was 20 years ago! (Boy, amd I getting old!!!)

GhostPoet
April 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM
If he can pull off dark moments really well, I'm sold.=) the 9th Doctor could get so intense. That was awesome.

Dr. Who
May 31st, 2006, 08:15 AM
I live in America and have only seen the episodes on the SciFi channel with the 9th doctor(Christopher Eccleston). I was introduced to the Doctor on the SciFi channel when they had a special marathon on. I didn't know there was a new doctor until I came here and I wnat to know more about him. Does anyone know when, if at all, the tenth doctor shows in the US? Can i buy the tenth Doctors episodes?

The Signal
May 31st, 2006, 09:01 AM
Yay you quoted my post :) *does happy dance*

The ninth Doctor will be leaving in the episode The Parting of the Ways, which is either the next episode you guys get or the one after it, Im not sure which you are on :S

Pharaoh Atem
May 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM

The ninth Doctor will be leaving in the episode The Parting of the Ways, which is either the next episode you guys get or the one after it, Im not sure which you are on :S:)

Dr. Who
May 31st, 2006, 09:11 AM

The ninth Doctor will be leaving in the episode The Parting of the Ways, which is either the next episode you guys get or the one after it, Im not sure which you are on :S
We are on the parting of ways. The season Finale

creed462
May 31st, 2006, 09:35 AM
I've cought a little of the tenth doctor, and he seems very good

Darkseid
May 31st, 2006, 10:22 AM
I have been watching Who since late 1980, and I will have to tell you I totally love David Tennant in the role. I haven't been too terribly happy with the scripts for this season however (that Cyberman episode was terribly over-rated, although it was fun to see K9 again) and they seem to have put Rose into a lesser role.

But Tennant is fantastic! I was never a fan of Eccelston to be honest. I thought he was a little too....I dunno.....human to play the Doctor. Not larger then life enough. Too normal....so guy next door....

creed462
May 31st, 2006, 05:21 PM
I only got to see School reuion I throughly enjoyed it

Willow'sCat
May 31st, 2006, 07:28 PM
*Bump*

Since the series in the US is coming to a close for CE thought I would bump this thread for David Tennant the new Doctor. :D

CKO
June 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM
when do us in the states get to see DT as the 10th doc. or dont ya guys know.

Missster.Freeman
June 1st, 2006, 10:36 AM
when do us in the states get to see DT as the 10th doc. or dont ya guys know.
I don't know if an official date has been announced. It'll be down to when or if the Sci-Fi channel renews it's rights to show the series. However, I'm sure a few non UK residents have already watched DT episodes. If ye know what I mean. ;)

CKO
June 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM
oh i know waht ya mean... but i got dialup.. so its a bit hard for me to do that, although i do d/l vids

Willow'sCat
June 1st, 2006, 10:50 PM
Whether the US gets to see series 2 with DT would be pretty much up to SciFi, they would be the ones to ask. *good luck getting an answer* ;)

As for Australia; well it really looks like a July start here for series 2, I had hoped this month but wasn't counting on a new mini series being shown in what was/is the Dr Who time slot; so that means July would be the earliest for it to start here. :( I guess it isn't so bad at least I will be able to concentrate more on SG/SGA by then. ;)

The Signal
June 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
*cough* youtube *cough*

Missster.Freeman
June 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
*cough* youtube *cough*
*splutter* :eek: Bad bad bad. ;)

Easter Lily
June 5th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I'm rather interested in hearing what people have to say about the Tenth Doctor...
Personally, I'm really enjoying DT's run and am a little surprised at the criticism of his portrayal of the Doctor. While I enjoyed Eccleston's run and his gravitas, I think DT is much more of what I expect the Doctor to be... a little more whimsical, larger than life and occasionally obnoxious.

The Signal
June 9th, 2006, 08:10 AM
I swear he gets more like a mix of the 4th, 5th and 6th Doctors every week.

Willow'sCat
June 11th, 2006, 04:09 AM
I'm rather interested in hearing what people have to say about the Tenth Doctor...

I am loving him.

To start, I was not enthralled by CE's Doctor so I guess it made the transition easy for me. I also realise this is Doctor Who and actors will leave, not this soon but it all went to making it easier for me to readily accept David Tennant as the new Doctor.

I love his sense of fun and almost at times child like approach to situations. Yes he is serious and a little OTT at times but you can feel his excitement when he strikes something new or when the light bulb goes off in his head. :D

Really if there was a word to describe his Doctor it would be fun.

Now I am hoping that in the next few episodes we start to see that darker side of his personality really come to the fore, the contrasts in his character make the show over-all worth watching. The Doctor (DT) going from smiling in an almost cheesy kind of way to suddenly angry or commanding. It is magic when it works. ;)

I do hate the shippy nature to this regeneration it is even more prevalent with DT then CE but I can live with it if only because we know companions come and go... ;)

Over-all highly interesting Doctor and I can't wait to see more, and to think we really have only just started with him. It is only the second half of the series and he feels so much like The Doctor I can hardly believe the mantle has been past and taken up so well, so soon.

AdamRLeggett
June 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Well I haven't seen any of DT's run yet (being in the US and all) but if first impressions are anything to go by (given the ten seconds or less at the end of the 'first' seasons finale) I might have to give up watching the show.

I realize that's extreme but even with CE it was a close call - it just didnt pull me in like SG1/SGA or BSG - and I used to watch Who consistently when I lived in England.

Is he really all that (as suggested by comments in this thread)? I thought CE was just what Doctor Who needed and if this thread is anything to go by it sounds like they've regressed.

Willow'sCat
June 11th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Well I haven't seen any of DT's run yet (being in the US and all) but if first impressions are anything to go by (given the ten seconds or less at the end of the 'first' seasons finale) I might have to give up watching the show.

I realize that's extreme but even with CE it was a close call - it just didnt pull me in like SG1/SGA or BSG - and I used to watch Who consistently when I lived in England.

Is he really all that (as suggested by comments in this thread)? I thought CE was just what Doctor Who needed and if this thread is anything to go by it sounds like they've regressed.Oh don't give up because of 10 seconds. :S DT is really wonderful as The Doctor, yes he is different to CE but that is the point he is not a carbon copy just fitting into CE shoes, he is his own Doctor but that is not a bad thing. Believe the hype! He is fantastic! :D

The Signal
June 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I have to say, DW is not the sort of show where you can sit and watch a few minutes (especially a few seconds) and make your mind up, you have to see an ep, or at least half of one, before you can understand any character. Give him time.

Easter Lily
June 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I swear he gets more like a mix of the 4th, 5th and 6th Doctors every week.
I think so too... and occasionally No. 2 as well..

Is he really all that (as suggested by comments in this thread)? I thought CE was just what Doctor Who needed and if this thread is anything to go by it sounds like they've regressed.
Well, I think it boils down to the kind of Doctor you're expecting or partial too. I liked Chris and I like David. Eccleston was a rather darker or more serious doctor and Tennant, IMO is much more vivacious and enthusiastic. Personally, I didn't think anyone could take over from Eccleston... at least not after such a short stint but I think Tennant has really embraced this role... joyously.

Easter Lily
June 13th, 2006, 03:57 AM
I do hate the shippy nature to this regeneration it is even more prevalent with DT then CE but I can live with it if only because we know companions come and go... ;)
This is the only thing I'm finding problematic about this particular incarnation... everything else I can live with... but a Doctor romancing outright with his companion is jarring.

Metarock Sam
June 13th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I agree with you o9n that one Easter Lily.
Personally I cant wait till Rose goes. Perhaps we wont be on Earth so much then aswell as the Doctor lewss romantiscising with his companions.

Vyse
June 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I like both CE and DT alot, both do geat jobs. However, I wish that CE would have been around for 2-3 seasons before leaving instead of just 1 season.

creed462
June 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
His voice reminds me of the thrid doctor

Willow'sCat
August 25th, 2006, 12:25 AM
His voice reminds me of the thrid doctor:S What? Jon Pertwee?!?! What?!?!

No I obviously do not agree. Although David looks good in a puffy shirt. ;)

creed462
August 26th, 2006, 08:21 AM
:S What? Jon Pertwee?!?! What?!?!

No I obviously do not agree. Although David looks good in a puffy shirt. ;)
I ment the way he explains thing has the same type of tones

Josephine
November 28th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks Willow's Cat for linking me to this thread. I knew I was messing something up when I created the other one, but there wasn't a link to further pages on the main Dr. Who folder, and it wasn't until I made a new thread that I could see 'Similar' threads at the bottom. :/

Erm, so to reiterate, I adore the 10th Dr, and am eager to see what the series will be like w/o Rose. Wasn't too keen on her. Heh

MasySyma
November 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
When I saw the final episode of series 27 I was worried, and the last Harry Potter movie didn't help. DT's role was small and well done, but I just could not imagine him as the Doctor. Then again, this is my first change of the Doctor.

Now, about halfway through series 28, I love him as the Doctor. I thought that it was going to be hard to let go of CE, but I was just watching my series 27 DVD's the other day, and when the regeneration happens I just started laughting when DT's face came in because I enjoy his version of the Doctor so much.

I just wish that the show produced more than 14 episodes a season. There isn't enough good scifi on right now. Oh well. At least I can get ready to order Series 28 on DVD.

lord-anubis
November 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM
i kind of felt that way about the new doctor to when i first saw the new series but he kind of won me over right a way. i still say that the 9th doctor is better at being seius and going from fine to intase right way

Willow'sCat
April 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Wow we really know how to neglect threads. :P

So who else thinks DT's Doctor is like a big kid? :D

I couldn't help thinking while watching The Shakespeare Code that besides the Man!crush he seemed to have on Will, he just was having so much fun! Like a 5 year old who just got a remote controlled Dalek for Christmas. LOL!

Now other then maybe Tom Baker's Doctor I don't remember the others having that kind of energy or just plain fun.

Thoughts? (besides thinking I am mad :P )

LadyLord75
April 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM
You've nailed it...I think I love DT as the Doctor so much because he
does remind you of Tom Baker.
Tennant's line delivery-it's just manic. It reminds me of McKay's rapid-fire
technobabble.

Willow'sCat
April 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
You've nailed it...I think I love DT as the Doctor so much because he
does remind you of Tom Baker.
Tennant's line delivery-it's just manic. It reminds me of McKay's rapid-fire
technobabble.
I think it is the same kind of cheekiness as Tom's. I do think most of the incarnations (well not Colin Baker's and maybe not William's) were cheeky and had fun with and in the role.

And you're right, it is manic! :D

Easter Lily
April 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
He's definitely a big kid... with boundless energy... :D That energetic feeling is reminiscent of several doctors... Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker and McCoy. But where personality is concerned, he's most like the Baker Doctor. Of course, he does bring his own take to the character.

I'm still amazed that Tennant was known for playing wack jobs before playing Casanova and the Doctor. The only wacko I've seen him play is Barty Crouch Jr

Pitry
April 14th, 2007, 04:00 AM
He's definitely a big kid... with boundless energy... :D That energetic feeling is reminiscent of several doctors... Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker and McCoy. But where personality is concerned, he's most like the Baker Doctor. Of course, he does bring his own take to the character.

I'm still amazed that Tennant was known for playing wack jobs before playing Casanova and the Doctor. The only wacko I've seen him play is Barty Crouch Jr

He's great as a wacko because of that energy - well, at least in Takin' Over the Asylum it works wonders.

But yeah, it's that mixture of energy and being so compeltely eccentric that really turns him into a kid... and I have to admit I love it! I loved CE, but Tennant's kid is also fantastic (and is prolly the closest to Baker from any other Doctor).

(OT: eek! There's a big eye watching mefrom above the Gateworld banner!)

Willow'sCat
April 14th, 2007, 07:52 PM
He's great as a wacko because of that energy - well, at least in Takin' Over the Asylum it works wonders.

But yeah, it's that mixture of energy and being so compeltely eccentric that really turns him into a kid... and I have to admit I love it! I loved CE, but Tennant's kid is also fantastic (and is prolly the closest to Baker from any other Doctor).

(OT: eek! There's a big eye watching mefrom above the Gateworld banner!)I hate that eye! :p

I watched Taking over the asylum when it first screened and I still remember his character even though I didn't know him or really even care LOL! He was so bloody good I remembered his performance (plus the whole show was great and had me in tears :( ) he was playing a very hyper person but it wasn't over the top, it wasn't cringe worthy and I think that is the key to playing The Doctor. It is such an over the top character to play, TimeLord *I ask you* how do you play that without making people cringe, well you do it with humour, enthusiasm and a whole heap of talent.

David Tennant = all three. ;) :D

Pitry
April 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I hate that eye! :p

I watched Taking over the asylum when it first screened and I still remember his character even though I didn't know him or really even care LOL! He was so bloody good I remembered his performance (plus the whole show was great and had me in tears :( ) he was playing a very hyper person but it wasn't over the top, it wasn't cringe worthy and I think that is the key to playing The Doctor. It is such an over the top character to play, TimeLord *I ask you* how do you play that without making people cringe, well you do it with humour, enthusiasm and a whole heap of talent.

David Tennant = all three. ;) :D

;) Having jsut watched Takin' over the Asylum I suspect I was a bit of Campball/ DT centric - although it was a fantastic show regardles as well! I just love those things. But yeah, he just nailed it and wasn;t OTT at all - and yeah, I agree it's really easy to go OTT when you're doing a manic...

And indeed as well about playing a Time Lord... it is quite a challenge to sell it, isn't it?