Now Hiring Writers and 3d Designers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now Hiring Writers and 3d Designers!

Stargate: Horizon is currently looking for additional staff writers as well as 3D artists to join the staff! In order to keep up with the writing tasks as well as getting to a point where we can release 3D images on a regular basis, we are looking for several creative and enthusiastic people to become a part of the team. If you are interested, please read the requirements for the respective positions carefully before applying.

As a Staff Writer you should:

- Have previous experience with writing in script format
    - Be knowledgeable when it comes to screenwriting and know the standard format and structure of teleplays (if this is not the case, you'll need to be willing to learn; so feel free to apply anyway, but make sure to mention it)
    - Have a general interest in screenwriting
    - Be available for online meetings on a weekly basis
    - Be able to work on deadlines
    - Be familiar with Horizon, preferably be a fan. Otherwise you'd have a whole lot of catching up to do, as at this point it's crucial to know the series, it's characters and history in order to write it properly

As a 3D Designer you should:

- Have experience in CG designs
    - Be available for online meetings on a weekly basis
    - Be able to work on deadlines

One of the most important requirements for all staff members is to be available; in an ongoing production like this, things can evolve on a day to day basis, and it tends to get complicated when not everyone on staff is up to speed. So, as a staff member you should be easily reachable outside the weekly online meetings. You should be able to check the private development forums on a daily basis, and keep up with the latest developments, including reading the latest drafts of the scripts, on which as a writer you'd be giving notes. As a designer you're required to read the scripts, simply in order to get an idea of what it is you're actually designing, as most of the designs will be episode specific. But, of course, if you are a fan of the series, keeping up with the episodes shouldn't present a problem to you. Basically this just means: make sure to only apply if you believe you will be having the necessary spare time available to devote to the project.

Well, if you’ve made it this far, and you’re still interested, here’s what you will have to do. Please send an email to [email protected]. You should include a brief paragraph about yourself, including your previous experience in the category you’re applying for as well as telling us why you would like to join the staff. Please also include your age, and make sure to attach a sample of your work. In the case of 3D designers that should anything between two to five CG images, in the case of writers it should be a minimum of 20 pages of your previous writing, but naturally it can be more than that if you prefer. Both script and prose will be accepted, but script format is preferred.

And, to avoid any kind of confusion, please be aware that all positions are voluntary and unpaid!

Thanks for you interest. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Alex
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Additionally:

Some suggestions if you've got nothing to submit. When I went to join I wrote up a teaser for an idea of mine for a Horizon episode. The idea has been shelved, but it is a good way to show Alex you know what you're writing, in addition to the fact that you know the character you'll be writing.

It's unpaid, voluntary, but truly fun. While Alex makes it seem like it's strict work and being on 24/7, it's more just being on enough so that you know the latest for the episodes that are yet to come. Since we'll have the entire 1st half written pretty soon, things would start off with 2.13. Many episodes already have ideas, but there's still opprotunity to pitch, as I think we don't quite have a full season yet.
    Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
    Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
    Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
    Stargate Destiny, Fan
    Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
      It's unpaid, voluntary, but truly fun. While Alex makes it seem like it's strict work and being on 24/7, it's more just being on enough so that you know the latest for the episodes that are yet to come.
      Of course there's a little work involved every now and then, but the most important thing is that it's fun. After all, we're not getting paid, so why do it if it isn't fun?

I wouldn't consider reading the scripts work anyway. It's really just a matter of being up to date, especially since there are a lot of story arcs. It tends to get confusing if you don't know what's happening or where certain developments are going.

The online meetings are over the weekend, by the way. And the specific times can always be arranged so that it will be a good time for everyone involved.

Comment

Alex, I just sent you an e-mail. Hoping for a quick response.

Comment

Im not going to apply and this I may regret, the truth is I hardly read any of Horizon and I am hoping to be involoved in another serries, well two actuall, Legacy And Atlas, who knows by the time I have made this post I may have changed my mind

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
            Alex, I just sent you an e-mail. Hoping for a quick response.
            I don't think I've received your email, unless I'm mistaking someone else with you. It's possible that I didn't get it yet, though, due to technical reasons.

If you still have it saved, the best thing would be to just send it again. That way I should have it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
              Im not going to apply and this I may regret, the truth is I hardly read any of Horizon and I am hoping to be involoved in another serries, well two actuall, Legacy And Atlas, who knows by the time I have made this post I may have changed my mind
              If you do change your mind, you know how to reach me.

The reason it's better to know the series is really just that there's a lot going on, especially this season. But, actually that's the fun of the whole thing. There are all these different things going on with regard to the major storylines and the larger arcs, and there are a lot of characters (regulars and recurring).

Anyone, don't let all the requirements concern you if you're interested. From past experience I've just learned that sometimes people might be interested without having too much of an idea of the effort that's involved in keeping the series going and releasing episodes on a weekly basis. So, this time I do think everyone should definitely be aware of that.

Comment

I may start reading them again next week or Tommorow which ever comes first so its better for the moment if I dont apply maybe next time when theres a space

Comment

Sounds good, people are always moving in and out, anyway. I'm sure there'll be more spots open by Season 3.
                  Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                    I may start reading them again next week or Tommorow which ever comes first so its better for the moment if I dont apply maybe next time when theres a space
                    I'd just first like to say to everyone that I've only read a few of the episodes so far for Season 1... in fact, I haven't even read the episode that my drawing was part of yet! I do plan on getting around to catching up to where we are now, it's just not my prioirty on the team at the moment.

The reason for this is I like to get development work of importance out of the way first, namely the Valiant which I'm working on at the moment. Now I'm not saying I don't get involved; I come to meetings when I can get on (sometimes I'm late), but I still contribute things now and rhen, and I debate things on a subject when the project calls for it. Because of work I've done on game modifications, I've gotten into the routine of creating design documents for whatever I build so I can keep track of the development for an "entity" (ships/vehicles, items, weapons... cities ). If I have a query, I post a suggestion to Alex about it for him to read, and then he gives me the heads-up on what he likes and what conflicts with the core-ideas. Then I fix whatever is wrong and re-submit it for reviewal from the team and so on... until everything is in a good draft before actually building it.

If anything from the second paragraph I've mentioned is something you can do, then you'll do fine... if it's more you'll do very well indeed. If you're only a beginner, someone like me will probably give you a hand, as, if you're applying to be a 3D Designer, some projects for SGH will be larger than others and will be done in pairs or trios of artists. This will be not only to shorten time on their development, but also to allow for multiple ideas that work well together to be intergrated into a single design.

Point is, when I'm not too busy myself for SGH or other project's I part of, I'll lend you a hand if I think you need it. If it's nothing serious I'll give you instructions on how to do it yourself. I work mainly in 3dsmax so I suggest people applying use the same, as it will solve a lot of problems on the technical side.
                    "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
                    ==============================================================
                    Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
                    Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

Sounds good, people are always moving in and out, anyway. I'm sure there'll be more spots open by Season 3.
                      I should add that we're trying to get away from that, though. Instead of constantly having people come in and out, it would be great if we'd get to a point where we have a permanent staff. A group of writers who have the same understanding of the series, the characters, etc. I'm hopeful we'll get there eventually.

You speak of Season Three? Hm. I don't remember there being an official renewal so far.

Comment

Well, sometimes that ends up being inevitable. It would be great if we could get people to stick around this time, as that is indeed what we're looking for.

Hmmm, there's not been an official renewal, then? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
                        Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

Hmmm, there's not been an official renewal, then? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
                          What's that old saying? In this business nothing is for sure. It's the virtual series business, but it's true.

Last time we officially announced Season Two around March, I think. There really isn't any concrete plan for how long the series will run. In part it depends on the support of the fans of course.

Comment

Thats you lazy buggers out there.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

how much time does it take to write one story? How did you began with it Alex?
                              How many writters do you now have? Do you have one 3D artist? I wish I could be a writter for you but I don't have the time at all but it is really interesting and I wish you the best of luck finding a new writter !

Dr. Elisabeth Weir
                              We are facing our future together - Dr. Elizabeth Weir
                              Dr. Elisabeth Weir is a proud member of the GTA !
                              *~'.:GTA 199:.'~*

Stargate Omega: so much more than a website ! Join the place today.

Comment

Working...
                              X