This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T9 on GDOs!

Okay, so what if GDOs had text-messaging capability? What if SG teams could T9 to the SGC? I mean, I'm sure there are quite a few situations in which you don't want to acctually say anything, since speaking could be too loud and get you captured or shot, but where a critical piece of information still had to get through... And since all SG team members already carry GDOs everywhere, why not add some cell-phone into them and give them the ability to send messages through the gate? I've recently discovered T9 (I used to do it the slow way), and I think that it makes texting fast enough and practical enough to, in some situations, replace phone calls. So why not replace radio transmissions?

[X posted off-site]

Cause it would be boring to watch Sam slowly typing "We need that Iris open! We're taking fire!!" on a little keypad for 20 seconds.
    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Cause it would mean we would have to read whats she typing and then there would be less battle scenes.
      Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
      Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
      - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
      - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

There are no cellular towers on alien planets most alien planets. There is nothing more annoying than not being able to get a signal on your cell phone. Radios don't have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by hyzmarca
          There are no cellular towers on alien planets most alien planets. There is nothing more annoying than not being able to get a signal on your cell phone. Radios don't have that problem.
          To be fair it IS a good idea and that ability may already be present. There have been occasions where the wormhole has just opened and we've only had text come through, though I can't think of many situations where it would be especially useful. After all, dialing the gate isn't exactly subtle. If they're able to get the gate open they're probably not overly worried about the noise.

Now what WOULD be useful would be some sort of device they could attach to the DHD that would allow them to remotely activate it via radio. So if they're a couple of clicks away and need to send a msg back to the SGC they can dial up earth or whatever and transmit what they need back. Like let's say that they're on the world and need backup but the gate has become guarded so they can't get to it. Sure, they could wait for the SGC to dial out to check on them, but with a device like that they could also just dial remotely and send their message without actually having to get to the gate.

Comment

How about UMTS, bluetooth, WiFi, a 1.3 megapixel camera, color LCD screen and a remote control for your tv

Well we could build one of those remote DHDs the jumpers have, but then a bit less bulky, so we could dial the gate from a few miles away.

Comment

Yeah, something along those lines is what I was thinking of, but rather than something big and bulky like that, a device that could maybe attach to the underside of the DHD and activate it through the DHD circuitry.

Comment

Cause it would be boring to watch Sam slowly typing "We need that Iris open! We're taking fire!!" on a little keypad for 20 seconds.
                This got me thinking, they should have some kind of hot key on the GDO's similar to what law enforcement officers today use for emergencies on their radios. The panic button that can be activated that alerts responders/dispatchers that someone is down and needs assistance.
                I am suprised that they never really incorporated that into the show. or if they did I do not remember ever seeing it.
                All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                Pay it forward

Comment

Working...
                X