• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK article on Scifi (includes SG1)

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article323592.ece

EXCERPT:

Much of the best of Sci Fi is simply good drama, he insists, a fact which
    helps to explain why in August 51 per cent of the channel's audience was female
    (although 48 per cent is a more usual figure). Betts notes that "as the guns
    and bombs drop away women are more likely to watch".Sadly for Betts, rival
    commissioning editors are aware of Sci Fi's increasingly broad appeal and - with
    bigger budgets - are bidding for the best programmes. Lost was snapped up by
    Channel 4, while Battlestar Galactica and Stargate went to Sky One. Living TV
    (which is aimed mainly at women) has recognised the female fascination with the
    paranormal and made the turf its own, and next year BBC3 will seek to
    capitalise on the success of the relaunched Doctor Who with its own adult sci-fi
    spin-off called Torchwood.

*The whole article is worth reading*

*Click on link above full text*

That's interesting, but as much as I want the Sci-Fi Channel in the UK to be bigger, I'd still prefer to see Stargate etc. on Sky One, it's less hassel, and it's on with the Simpsons. Also it's more mainstream, and sorry to be against the Sci-Fi Channel here, but that's good, if Stargate is on with multi-genre shows such as the Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle, Scrubs etc. like it is at the moment, then it gets pumped into the mainstream more people are inclined to watch it, rather than being sidelined to those who would seek out for it specifically, thousands (or more) of people in the UK like Stargate because it's on a channel they watch, they may not go out of their way to see it, until the Sci-Fi Channel becomes truly mainstream, I think it would be a terrible idea to move the shows.
    Last edited by Whistler; 01 November 2005, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
      That's interesting, but as much as I want the Sci-Fi Channel in the UK to be bigger, I'd still prefer to see Stargate etc. on Sky One, it's less hassel, and it's on with the Simpsons. Also it's more mainstream, and sorry to be against the Sci-Fi Channel here, but that's good, if Stargate is on with multi-genre shows such as the Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle, Scrubs etc. like it is at the moment, then it gets pumped into the mainstream more people are inclined to watch it, rather than being sidelined to those who would seek out for it specifically, thousands (or more) of people in the UK like Stargate because it's on a channel they watch, they may not go out of their way to see it, until the Sci-Fi Channel becomes truly mainstream, I think it would be a terrible idea to move the shows.
      Completly agree, it would be the same here in Ireland, the sci-fi channel is just not popular enough over here, it does have some good shows, but then it has allot of crap shows, Stargate should Stay on Sky One and i aswell it is great toc have a fill of the simpsons just before stargate
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Interesting

Comment

Working...
        X