• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 10 cast shake-up looming?

From Stargate-SG-1 Solutions:

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=404

What do you guys think?
    sigpic

Probably a TV Movie/Miniseries for Michael. He doesn't have any reason to leave SG-1 or Vancouver permenantaly.

Comment

Not looking good for S10.

Whereas I agree the MS thing isnt too much to get worked up over the AT thing is. Reasoning: S10 is expected (yes by me) to be heavey MS\CB so I would not expect him to leave when the spotlight will be on him. So I figure he is just going for a TV movie part. AT on the other hand, since S10 will be MS\CB is left out in the cold and doesnt really fit the vision of the SciFi channels version of SciFi.

But if MS did leave the show, the show would be near its end. Just as if AT or CJ left. This show will not survive in its current format without at least a couple more years with the last remaining 3 characters. If they want to phase them out they need to do gradualy it like they did RDA not just drop someone from full time to recurring or drop them from the show altogether.

On the other hand if MS, AT or CJ get something with better writing that will be longer lasting then more power to them.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Like the Season 9 cast shake-up wasn't enough?

It really depends on what the definition of "major TV role" is. Like some mentioned, Amanda Tapping filmed both "Proof Positive" and "Stargate" so it's likely that the same could be possible for Michael Shanks.

Comment

I hope that AT stays on full on SG-1....I think she should be put in charge of SG-1! If they remove her that's a big reason why I'd stop watching.
          sigpic

Comment

I don’t understand what people mean when they say Stargate doesn’t have a place for AT. AT is Stargate. There is no Stargate without AT. There are still stories to tell, they Can write the stories if they want to. Sam is a multifaceted character. What they are saying doesn’t make sense. They can’t just cut her out or even cut her back. She is the heart of the show. In fact she gives the show its heart!

"We were a team...no one could even begin to understand what we went through together… What we mean to each other.” Samantha Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperspace
              I hope that AT stays on full on SG-1....I think she should be put in charge of SG-1! If they remove her that's a big reason why I'd stop watching.
              Your message came up while I was working on mine .I totally agree with you .I won’t watch without Amanda tapping on the show.

"We were a team...no one could even begin to understand what we went through together… What we mean to each other.” Samantha Carter

Comment

and i have to agree with you on that after rda left i probably wont watch it if sam goes, weve seen that we can go a year without MS (not that i dont like him) and CJ's character has been declining with being on the jaffa council.

Comment

I found that a tad confusing as well, not enough room for Carter, it's almost like saying there will not be a place for the Stargate. She's one of the main reasons, that Earth in the Stargate realm is where it is, you can't just remove her, because Vala Mal Doran needs room to what, breathe, stretch her arms, have a baby, what will she accomplish, that Carter has not, or cannot, seriously what?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                    and i have to agree with you on that after rda left i probably wont watch it if sam goes, weve seen that we can go a year without MS (not that i dont like him) and CJ's character has been declining with being on the jaffa council.
                    Me too, if AT goes, I go. It was bad enough to lose RDA, but losing AT as a regular member of SG1 is just crazy.

Comment

I think there's a very good chance that Solutions is overestimating the magnitude of this TV role. A 'major' role could mean:

A regular role in a 22-ep show. Bye bye Dr Jackson.
                      A temporary role in, say, eps 5.12-5.16 of '24', or a patient-of-the-week in ER. Something nice to do in the hiatus, no need to leave SG-1.
                      The Voice-Over in a 12-part documentary. Something to spend a few days on in the hiatus.

Or it might not be as 'major' as any of those - remember, the info comes from the people who were making MS's apologies for missing their event, and they're hardly going to call it "a small-to-medium part which he really is interested in" when they can call it "a major part".

Madeleine

Comment

In addition, the producers of Stargate SG-1 may be hoping to add a new full-time cast member.

Tapping reportedly told fans that she spoke to SG-1 executive producer Robert Cooper after learning about the show's renewal, and about the fact that each of her co-stars had been approached about returning for Season Ten. Actress Claudia Black ("Vala Mal Doran") has also been approached about signing on, she said. Tapping asked if there was a problem, to which he replied, "No problem -- we just don't know what to do with Sam next season."
                        This (from Gateworld's front page - adding it in here, even though it's not about MS or the MS article, as the thread's about S10 cast changes) clearly implies that AT and Carter are being shoved out in favour of replacing Carter with Vala as the full time new team member. Now, I enjoy Vala, and would welcome her back as an irregular guest character, but if this little snippet turns out to be true, then that'll pretty much kill it for me as regards watching any more of Stargate. The jury for me is still out on S9 - and if they don't get back to showing us some real team in the second half I won't be watching any more anyway. But this would just kill my interest stone-dead.

As someone else said - all the changes we've suffered already aren't enough for them? They need to tear it apart even more? Have they never heard of 'if it ain't broke...' ?

Firstly, I wouldn't appreciate Carter being dumped in this way. She's been part of SG1 since the start and she's a vital part of the team. The thing which is currently bugging me the most about S9 is that since her return I've seen none of the team element that I was expecting and longing for by episode five. I want MORE of that back in the show if I'm going to keep watching. Not LESS!

Secondly, I just couldn't take Vala as a regular team member. As I say, I really like and enjoy the character. But she's a very, very strong presence and she did take over the first four episodes, eclipsing the other characters into the background, often. Even liking her as I do, I was relieved to see her go when she did. Like, I say, I thought then we'd get back to team. I think Vala is someone I could take very nicely in short doses, but who would very rapidly irritate me week by week.

Also more than a little irritated with this continuing theme from TPTB that if you watch SG1 you'll automatically watch Atlantis. I don't watch Atlantis - I gave up on it early in S1. So AT appearing on that show and not on SG1 isn't exactly a consolation prize for me, either.

All round, this is quite depressing news. If true, it seems even more clear to me that with RDA gone, TPTB seem hellbent on a mission to excise from the show not just Jack O'Neill, but every element that made the show special over eight years.

I think there's a very good chance that Solutions is overestimating the magnitude of this TV role. A 'major' role could mean:
                        Madelaine's right - I wouldn't make too much of this one, just yet. Major role could also mean a one off TV drama - those big 'events' US TV is so fond of. A role can be major without being longterm. It could also just be part of his agent's negotiating tactics for next season. "Hey, you better start thinking about giving our boy a raise. Look - there are other people keen to get him. Think fast!" <g>

Albion
                        Last edited by Albion; 31 October 2005, 01:03 AM.
                        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I seriously doubt MS is going to leave Stargate either. From all reports so far, it's going to be all about Daniel/Vala. Along with CB, he'll have center stage. Why would anyone leave in that situation.

I'm more concerned with the news coming out of Gabit. How can they not know what to do with Sam? She's been there for 9 years. She has experience. She's intellingent. Surely the writers can write a part for an intelligent, experienced, female soldier. Or do they lack the intelligence?

I just think it's really sad. AT stuck around when others didn't want to. She's been a team-player, she's been a positive voice and this is how she's rewarded. Guess there's no such thing as loyalty.

All I can say, is if AT goes, especially if she goes because she's nudged out by CB's character of Vala, then I most likely will go too.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hopefully people that work for stargate in the high spots will read this because they are obviously making a huge mistake... maybe they are thinking that after season 10 they plan to kill the show and want to keep the role of "Sam Carter" alive in the Atlantis show so they can still work with her? That’s a possibility. However if they are going to do that than DONT stick her out of it till the end of season 10 have her transferred to Atlantis or something toward the end of season 10 (since all I’m reading from the Actors, actresses thoughts on SG-1 seems to suggest they believe Season 10 will be the last season). I don’t mind Vala guest staring on a few SEASON 10 episodes I absolutely do not want her replacing SAM. SAM is the heart of the show.

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Okay, first thing i should say, i've been a Stargate fan right from the start. nearly a decade ago i sat and watched the first episode, Children of the Gods, when it premiered on Sky One here in the UK and from then on i've been hooked. Never missed a first run episode of either SG-1 or Atlantis right up to, and including, this week. Basically i'm a big fan!

Secondly, i love the original cast! RDA, Amanda, Michael, Chris and Don made the show the success it became and i have enjoyed every episode thery have been a part of. I missed Michael during the year he was not a part of the show, i missed Don last year and i'm missing RDA now that the new season has begun.

All that said, I LOVE THE CURRENT STARGATE!!!! I think Ben, Beau and Claudia have brought a freshness to a series that, after eight years, it really shouldn't have anymore. Not because i don't think the originals would have tried anymore, just simply because there are only so many stories you can tell about the same people or team.

This news about Amanda is currently uncertain at best. We have no idea about what is actually being said or considered behind the scenes with regard to the role Sam will play in the new seasons. However, if the writers are having a problem with what to do with the character, i really wouldn't be that surprised. After ten years Sam has done pretty much everything on the show and with Jack gone and Jacob dead her character arcs are going to be limited, especially if she stays in the position she currently has. Both Daniel and Teal'c have new responsibilities and storylines. Sam currently is there just for the technobabble. To me that is unfair and both Sam and Amanda deserve more.

If the producers think that they will have more for Sam to do as a part of both series then i say go for it! Amanda will still be employed for twenty episodes next year and she will have two great cast and crews to work with. Where is the bad? At a guess i would say that they are considering assigning Sam to the Daedalus, which would explain her becoming a cast member of both series. If not that then perhaps she will be called to Atlantis to help in a matter that only Carter can cope with. Basically, if this is the plan then to me it sounds like a positive thing and not the doom and gloom that people are making it sound to be.

Just give the changes a chance because Stargate, as a concept, has a lot of life in it yet!

Comment

Working...
                              X