Alex Rubit
October 27th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
"Valiant"

"Valiant"
Ep: 2.06
Release Date: October 27th 2005
Written by Aaron Percival

As a group of mysterious human/Draque hybrids takes control of the Valiant, David and Tom find themselves fighting a dangerous battle to retake the ship and save the lives of their colleagues.

Alex Rubit
October 27th, 2005, 02:46 PM
The episode has now been released. Click on the link (http://www.stargatehorizon.com/syn.php?number=206) to get to the episode page (http://www.stargatehorizon.com/syn.php?number=206), where the episode will be available for download.

Enjoy, and don't forget to stop back right here to let us know what you thought of it. ;)

AzMcNeil
October 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Aaron, my boy, nicely done! I have to say, this is one of my favorite episodes over the past 2 seasons. :)

Alex Rubit
October 27th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I'm glad you liked the episode. I'm sure Aaron is happy to hear that as well. ;)

Well, the episode has been out for several hours now, and we have one comment and two poll votes. Isn't it incredible to see how many people are just jumping at the chance to comment on these new episodes, and let us know what they thought? I personally think the backstory we touch on in this episode is enough already for raising some questions. That enzyme will be playing a major role in the future. And, as the episode gives away, we now know that the Draque aren't even reptilians by nature. You have to wonder, what did they used to look like? What's their natural appearance? Will we ever find out? That's a really good question.

Well, on the bright side, you've got me doing something I normally never do. I'm about to release a sketch on which a CG design will be based on. Yup. It's something visual; I can't believe that myself actually. It's a sketch of the, you guessed it, Valiant. Look at it as a desperate attempt to get at least some discussions going.

I ask you to keep in mind, it's far from being completed. It might still change around a bit. One thing we won't be seeing on the actual CG version is the rail guns; basically they're possitioned where the missile cannons will be going, and as you might know, they're retractable. You might also notice that the design is similiar in some ways to the Daedalus, which is intentional. The Valiant is the next type of star ship class built by the ISGC, so you'd find some parallels to both the Prometheus and Daedalus class ships in the design. But I think you also clearly notice that the Valiant is a much smaller ship (just compare the size of the bridge to the rest of the ship). As some of you might remember, she has only nine decks.

The sketch was done by Simon Spencer (Tiletron), who's also working on the CG version. It can be found right here! (http://uk.geocities.com/alex_stargatehorizon/valiant.jpg)

Of course ideally you should look at the picture before reading the episode, so that you'll have this image in mind. But I guess it works both ways.;)

Lt.Col. Moore (Icarus)
October 27th, 2005, 09:13 PM
In speaking of the Draque is there a sketch of what they currently look like?

Alex Rubit
October 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM
In speaking of the Draque is there a sketch of what they currently look like?

Not yet. The main focus in the designing department is currently on the Valiant and Horizon. But eventually we'll be seeing some more episode related images, as well as sketches of the Draque or the Enoly.

Lt.Col. Moore (Icarus)
October 27th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Okay, Valiant looks alot more like the Daedalus than the Prommie.

Alex Rubit
October 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah, it definitely looks more like the Daedalus than the Prometheus. It should be looking really nice once we have the CG version of it done. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
October 28th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Okay, Valiant looks alot more like the Daedalus than the Prommie.
The engines weren't quite what I was expecting.

NoDot
October 28th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Well, I'll say this. The episode itself earned outstanding, as far as I'm concerned. However, one things bugged me: the Draque Enzyme. Remind anyone of the Wraith Enzyme?...

As for that picture of the Valiant, that's not what I expected. I was thinking more of a giant, well, elipsoid honestly, rather than another long ship with two arms.

Alex Rubit
October 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Well, I'll say this. The episode itself earned outstanding, as far as I'm concerned. However, one things bugged me: the Draque Enzyme. Remind anyone of the Wraith Enzyme?...

I think it's quite different from the Wraith enzyme actually. I've always liked the idea that the Draque are in fact not reptilians by nature. I think that comes unexpected; they started off as these typical reptilian bad guy aliens in the pilot, and they'll be seeing some very interesting development. The Draque orignally have another apperance, which I'm sure we'll be seeing eventually. It's that enzyme that changes their appearance basically; I'm not sure how clear the episode makes that actually. But the idea is that the "original Draque" had a very different appearance. Original Draque being the natural ones, as the ones we see now are all clones. They don't all look the same, but they're clones. More on that later. ;)

Also, this enzyme doesn't affect one's personality, nor does anyone become addicted to it. In fact, for more on the enzyme and on the fate of the Draque check out "Parti Pris."

As for that picture of the Valiant, that's not what I expected. I was thinking more of a giant, well, elipsoid honestly, rather than another long ship with two arms.

In the pilot script the ship was described as having the "typical look of a ship designed by Stargate Command," while being a new ship class. I don't think that was the exact description, but that's what it meant. I think the differences will become more apparent in the actual CG model, which will contain all the little details.

NoDot
October 28th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Also, this enzyme doesn't affect one's personality, nor does anyone become addicted to it.I don't think, considering what it does to someone, the enzyme wouldn't cause those effects. Just because they aren't chemical, doesn't mean they don't happen.

Alex Rubit
October 28th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I don't think, considering what it does to someone, the enzyme wouldn't cause those effects. Just because they aren't chemical, doesn't mean they don't happen.

You mean the enzyme in this episode? It does not cause that kind of effects; it doesn't change the way one behaves, nor does it not cause anyone to become addicted to it. That would be the Wraith enzyme, but not this one.

NoDot
October 28th, 2005, 10:55 AM
You mean the enzyme in this episode? It does not cause that kind of effects; it doesn't change the way one behaves, nor does it not cause anyone to become addicted to it. That would be the Wraith enzyme, but not this one.Reread the first half of the second sentence you quoted, and my point should be clear.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM

That wasn't me for the record.

Alex Rubit
October 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Reread the first half of the second sentence you quoted, and my point should be clear.

To be honest, I don't understand what you mean with that second sentence. But, frankly, since we're writing it, the enzyme does whatever we want it to.

NoDot
October 28th, 2005, 11:09 AM
To be honest, I don't understand what you mean with that second sentence. But, frankly, since we're writing it, the enzyme does whatever we want it to.Bah!

The enzyme doesn't physically cause addiction, but over time, one would likely become as addicted to it as if it was a physical dependancy.

In short: it's a mental addiction.

Alex Rubit
October 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM
That wasn't me for the record.

It's part of the Draque backstory, which will be revealed more over the course of future episodes. In the pilot we first learned that they're genetically altered. What we didn't know back then was what's causing it.

Also for the record, nothing of what's done on either SG-1 or Atlantis has any influence on what we do. On the contrary, we've shelved more than one story concepts, which I thought were brilliant, but which I also thought were too much like something else. If we find a way to make them work, you might see them eventually. Like I said, I personally loved them.

Alex Rubit
October 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Bah!

The enzyme doesn't physically cause addiction, but over time, one would likely become as addicted to it as if it was a physical dependancy.

In short: it's a mental addiction.

That's a valid statement. However, as I said, since we're writing it, it'll do whatever we want it or don't want it to do. It's sci-fi, after all. It could do anything. It does something interesting in "Parti Pris," but I'm afraid I can't give away such a huge spoiler. ;)

AzMcNeil
October 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
All this talk of Draque/Human hybrids makes me really want to see Sivok back again in full Drague form. I don't care what side he is on, just bring him back! :)

Elite Anubis Guard
October 28th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Ye, he was so amazing. It'll be cool to see him back.

Alex Rubit
October 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Here's a minor little spoiler to celebrate the fact that we actually have a two page episode discussion thread. It seems all you have to do is post a picture and start some controversy, and people will actually talk about the episode. :D

Sivok will be back in 2.09 "Parti Pris." It will also be a big episode for Lenori, and some of the team will be facing quite a threat.

AzMcNeil
October 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Sivok will be back in 2.09 "Parti Pris." It will also be a big episode for Lenori, and some of the team will be facing quite a threat.

Yes...2 more episodes until hte return of Sivok! I'll get the cake and party hats ready :)

Elite Anubis Guard
October 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Phew, I knew I was strong enough not to say that.

Alex Rubit
October 28th, 2005, 01:58 PM
It's always great to have him back. You never know what he'll be up to.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I wonder what mayhem he's gonna involve us in...anyway back on topic I guess.

NoDot
October 28th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Here's a minor little spoiler to celebrate the fact that we actually have a two page episode discussion thread.Not here. I have it on 50 posts per page.

The Maneuver
October 28th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I like the choice for title, reminds me of the ST:DS9 episode "Defiant"

Elite Anubis Guard
October 29th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Lol you made it into a smilie.

Alex Rubit
October 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM
The title is also similiar to the title of the DS9 episode "Valiant." There's a certain similarity if you look closely at both titles. :D

SierraGulf1
October 30th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Speaking of Parti Pris, I better haul ass. Haven't been around much this weekend. :)
Ugh, seems, the dreaded Scriptsmart error is getting more frequent. Now I get it at least every two acts.

Valiant was an interesting episode indeed. About a possible "mental addiction" to the Draque enzyme, well, I suppose it's possible, but we have really integrated that into anything yet. Parti Pris will see more on all of this, as well as Sivok and two new Draque characters.

Which side will they be on? Can't say quite yet. :D

Elite Anubis Guard
October 30th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Ohh...it'd be cool if he brought some friends with him.

Valorin
October 31st, 2005, 12:15 AM
Great job Aaron! ;D
Really good episode!

Tiletron
October 31st, 2005, 09:15 AM
The engines wheren't quite what I was expecting.

In all fairness you can't really see what all of the ship looks like with a single sketch, but like Alex said, design is only half of what needs to be done. Another two sketches were being done by me for the Valiant, but they weren't complete in time for release... these might be either released at a later date, or used simply to help build the 3D mesh for the ship under construction.

There are also some "other" things that can't be seen from the sketch, but I won't talk about those for obvious reasons. The most important thing right now is to get the remaining sketches finished, and then to concentrate on the model itself.

Futura
November 1st, 2005, 07:55 PM
I like this Episode, its one of my favoutires! My congrades to the writer! :D

StevetheWraith!
November 13th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Aaron mate great job on the episode!! I really, really enjoyed this episode because (a) It features the Valiant in all her glory and (b) because of this episode's massive bombshell, Draque/Humans!! I have to say that i didn't in my wildest dreams see that one coming. I thought think that this is going to have massive repercussions in future episodes and perhaps even seasons. The writing was solid and so was the pace of things. I loved the fact that Sivea was back in charge of the Horizon even if it was only temporarily!! It was also great to see all of the CO's tied up! I can just imagine the faces of Sato, Grant and Callen when those Draques materialized out of nowhere!! Also I really loved the descriptions that you used in this episode both of the Valiant as well as of the planet. It was really polished and professionally executed. Great job

I was ecstatic when Alex mentioned that Sivok will be returning in Episode 209. Some time ago there was a "return of Sivok" title floating around and I have been giddy ever since, heheh! Also Alex I think that you guys have done a magnificent job with that Valiant sketch. I mean, the descriptions of it in episode 101 probably match it, spot on. When the rail guns are factored in and the 9 decks emphasized (;) ! ) she will look beautiful. wow this was a long post, heheh so I had better get on with posting on episode 207 :d

cheese
January 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM
After an extended break I'm continuing to read the series. I was worried that I wouldn't remember everything but once I got reading all the stuff from this season so far came flooding back!

And what a great episode to return to this is! "Valiant" is brilliantly structured. There is a nice set up to build the mystery of the 'mission' and what they bad guys are really up to. Right from the start with the first glimpses of something mysterious to the final scenes the tension was fantastic.

The bad guy themselves were great, as individuals there was a sense of character. A negative point I guess is that these people weren't explored more thoroughly. Their plan was clever and provided a few nice little surprises.

The early scenes highlighted a nice little role-reversal with these aliens being the ones desperate for the advanced weapons and technology, rather than earth being the planet needing new tech. Interesting to see that they behaved in a similar way to cultures SG-1 became frustrated with when they were turned down.

The Draque enzyme is a very interesting development, the revealtions hinting towards the true nature of the Draque were awesome. Can't wait to see how this storyline plays out. At first I was worried about a possible similarity to the Wraith enzyme, but I think it was made different enough.

There were a couple of little moments I enjoyed. Callen calling the Tok'ra leadership "special personalities" was a hoot. The interaction between Tom and David was pretty neat too.

Overall a solid episode, now I'm sorry that it took me so long to get around to reading it!

SierraGulf1
January 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Glad to see your reviews again, cheese. They're always quite insightful. :)

The Draque enzyme is a very interesting development, the revealtions hinting towards the true nature of the Draque were awesome. Can't wait to see how this storyline plays out. At first I was worried about a possible similarity to the Wraith enzyme, but I think it was made different enough.

There were a couple of little moments I enjoyed. Callen calling the Tok'ra leadership "special personalities" was a hoot. The interaction between Tom and David was pretty neat too.

Yeah, there were definitely a few concerns among readers and writers that the Draque enzyme might be too similar to the Wraith enzyme, but it does serve a different role/purpose. More on all of that in "Parti Pris," which is only a few episodes off from here. Lots more on the Tok'ra coming up, too.

I hope you continue to enjoy. "What Comes Before the Dawn" is praised by many as one of Alex's finest scripts.

Senku
September 1st, 2007, 02:48 PM
Pretty good episode indeed. It lacks IMO of a little skirmish between Valiant and Ki'Ahra to be "outstanding", but it was very good anyway. It has a little resemblance with the ending of SG1's "Ripple Effect", you know: "good guys have the knowledge about the ship to free themselves and kick some bad asses".

One thing that puzzled me a little was that "subtle football-signal thing" that John threw to Sivea. Maybe I'm a little too suspicious, but being Sivea, I'd catched that "ball" long way earlier!! Come on, it's about football and all we know how do she LOVES football!! And what about that INVENTED DATE!! Sure, we can imagine she having a bad night and because of that she was a little "slow" that day :P

jelgate
November 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM
*Do Not Read If You Do Not Want To Be Spoiled

Jelgate's Two Cents
I haven't seen an episode this good since the S1 finale and the Enloy three parter. I always try to find a little critcism at the beginning of my post but I could not find anything wrong this episode. This epispde was similiar to the SG-1 episode Prometheus (one of my favorities). I liked seeing how we are able to see more of the friendship of Tom and David. Probably my two favorite characters. They are completely different and yet are very good friends. Not to mention that they pretty munch saved the ship single handly. Maybe Tom won't return to Earth after all. The football hint was hillarious. I was a little surprised that Sivea didn't understand the little hint but I got over it. Grant didn't do much but what can you expect considering that he was locked up. The overload was a little predictable from a viewers standpoint but that didn't stop it from being a genius move. And on to probably my favorite , Callen. Any leader can order people there deaths, it takes a real leader to sacrifice their life." He was willing to committ to save that innocent planet and reflects strong character. I almsoit forget about the Draque. It was really interesting to find out there "superpowers" come from an enzyme. Am I correct in assuming that these terrorist had to take the enzyme to keep the Draque powers. If so, why don't the real Draque have to continue taking the enzyme. This was great episode Aaron. Go tell Alex you deserve a raise. Tell him I sent ya.

Questions
1)Will the Draque ever return to there state of power that they had in S1
Sato: Sorry, I'm just the guy who gives orders around here.