This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Runes

Okay, this is my first post at these forums so if what I'm about to put belongs in a different section then I apologise and any mod or admin should move it accordingly. I realise Ancient runes are neither technology or science, but this seems to most appropriate place none the less.

Basically, over the last few days I've watched the entire season 1 of Atlantis and I got the desire to know what Ancient runes translate to in English. I looked on the internet and found nothing, closest I got was Norse runes in relation to the Asgard. So, I decided to do a study of Ancient runes myself.

I looked at screen captures of the part in SG-1 Season 9 - Avalon (part 1), where Daniel looks at Ancient text and repeats that is says "The universe is infinite". I looked at the runes, not all were clear but I learned enough to start looking at screen captures of the steps in the gate room of Atlantis, and start filling in letters. From then on it was just a matter of filling in the blanks to make real words and when I discovered new translations for runes, to test them with other sentences to check I had it right.

I still haven't got an entire alphabet but am very close and thought I should present my findings.

The red letters stand for ones which I haven't found a rune for yet. Blue ones indicates 2 letters which seem to have the same rune. This isn't that surprising since Norse runes have some which mean 2 letters.

Now if my translations are correct, then the steps of the gate room of Atlantis say the following things:

Step 1: We hold these as the truth

Step 3: Visiting our home for the first time el come again

Step 6: As we leave for distant worlds we pledge to respect the lands of

Step 7: Whole again that you are among us and we celebrate you being here again

Step 8: Our neighbours and to act with integrity as ambassadors in peace time

Obviously that "el" doesn't fit, and I'm wondering if it should say "welcome" but there's definately not another rune there. Also it seems like whats written on Step 6 leads on to Step 8.

Step 2,4 and 5 are all written upside down. I'm confident these aren't just different runes because that would result in a huge alphabet. Also Its not just the set designers being lazy and using the same stencil, because when read upside down it says:

Step 2: A hearty welcome to those of other worlds

Step 4: Absence has weighed heavily on our souls wears

and I need some better screen captures to translate Step 5.

Also, for anyone thats interested and has seen Avalon (part 1), the text in the chamber that Mitchell and Teal'c are in, says:

"Reflect on the eight fold path."

Which seems quite fitting as there were 8 stones which had reflections of numbers on them.

If anyone would like to type Ancient, I also created a very basic font which can be download here (for a while):
    http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...K382HLTR39GZ76

if anyone knows of somewhere to host it for download more permanently, the info would be appreciated. If you're going to use it, remember to only use lower case and that those 5 letters which I ahven't been able to translate yet are not included and will appear as blank spaces.

To install new fonts you must go Start -> Control Panel -> Fonts. Then File, Install New Font, then just search for it on your PC.

Okay, so thats everything. Any theories/comments/suggestions people want to make, feel free to leave them here.

Take a look at this: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13522
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Wow, well thats shut me up

I wish I'd found that when I did a google search. Okay, everyone disregard my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaitalien
        Also, for anyone thats interested and has seen Avalon (part 1), the text in the chamber that Mitchell and Teal'c are in, says:

"Reflect on the eight fold path."

Which seems quite fitting as there were 8 stones which had reflections of numbers on them.
        Well, that's certainly interesting.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Working...
        X