PDA

View Full Version : Who on "Children in Need" special scene

Dallista
October 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
quoted from
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2005/10/25/26293.shtml

"Who on Children In Need

Special scene to broadcast on November 18.

Continuing its long association with the BBC's Children In Need charity, we're pleased to announce that a Doctor Who scene will be included in the evening's entertainment on BBC One.

The mini adventure has been written by Russell T Davies. The contents are being kept a closely guarded secret for the moment."

I trust RTD to not make the mistake that was Dimensions in Time... And I'm really curious what it's all about! Yesterday it was actually reported that it'd be a "mini-episode", but now the BBC have renamed it a "special scene." And there's no information yet about what actors are involved in it; easy as it is to assume that it'll deal with the Tenth Doctor and Rose, it might just as well involve previous Doctors and/or companions (as was the case with Dimensions in Time).

Either way, I know what I'll be watching November 18th. :D

Billz
October 26th, 2005, 03:08 PM
If I remember correctly, they did something like this already on a Red Nose Day quite a number of years back. It had someone acting as the first female regeneration of The Doctor. I dont remember who the actor was though but i can remember the scene quite well.

Chaka's_Mum
October 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
You probably mean the 'case of certain death'. The female Doctor was played by Joanna Lumley - and the regenerations came along pretty thick and fast! Based on rather hazy memory (taken from one viewing of the BBC video release - yes this was released!) Rowan Atkinson was the first doctor, then he regenerated into Richard E Grant, and then on to Joanna.

If I recall, Julia Sawalha played the companion.

The only other thing I remember about it was that it involved a race who communicated by recognition of odours released in the form of flatulence.:eek:

Dallista
October 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Apparently, Doctor Who has a history with charity events. I believe the one you're talking about is "The Curse of Fatal Death" (with Rowan Atkinson and a bunch of other actors, and indeed, an actress, as various incarnations of the Doctor. Gotta say, Hugh Grant made a *very* handsome Doc!).
Then there was "Dimensions in Time," for Children in Need in 1993, which was, uhm, pretty bad, but I got a chuckle out of it, anyway. And I'm guessing there were more.

I'm sure RTD knows what he's doing, so I'm hopeful we'll get something nice to see.

BritAngie
October 26th, 2005, 10:57 PM
You probably mean the 'case of certain death'. The female Doctor was played by Joanna Lumley - and the regenerations came along pretty thick and fast! Based on rather hazy memory (taken from one viewing of the BBC video release - yes this was released!) Rowan Atkinson was the first doctor, then he regenerated into Richard E Grant, and then on to Joanna.

The only other thing I remember about it was that it involved a race who communicated by recognition of odours released in the form of flatulence.:eek:

You forgot Hugh Grant and Jim Broadbent too. Basically it was a mickey take of all the actors who at the time were rumoured to be the next doctor! :D The curse of fatal death was fab- especially with Jonathan Price as the master!

Billz
October 27th, 2005, 12:20 AM

video?!? Ive been wanting to see it again for years. Any chance you know where i can get it?

Chaka's_Mum
October 27th, 2005, 04:22 AM
You forgot Hugh Grant and Jim Broadbent too. Basically it was a mickey take of all the actors who at the time were rumoured to be the next doctor! The curse of fatal death was fab- especially with Jonathan Price as the master

I've forgotten virtually everything about it, to be honest - even the title!(only saw it once, and around four years ago at that). Most of what I remember involves the farting bit and the female :eek: doctor... :o

video?!? Ive been wanting to see it again for years. Any chance you know where i can get it?

I found a couple of used copies up for grabs on the Amazon.co.uk site - though I've managed to lose the direct address (note to self: paste the hyperlink into the reply box before you copy text for a quote...). I did it by selecting the 'Video' tab and using 'Rowan Atkinson' as the search query. You need to click through virtually all of 66 entries to find it - but it's there.

Metarock Sam
October 27th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Oh that special was fab.
'They arent breastes they're Dalek bumps !!'
Man so funny. Plus Rowan Atkinson makes a really great Doctor.

Stricken
November 5th, 2005, 03:18 AM
The plot thickens!

The Signal
November 5th, 2005, 03:38 AM
This one apparently involves the first conversation between the 10th Doctor and Rose but then again that could be a red herring to throw people off the scent of what it really covers. it does apparently lead into the X-mas episode

flippy18
November 6th, 2005, 02:47 AM

The Rowan Atkinson website (http://www.rowanatkinson.org/dr_who.htm) has clips and more - think you can actually watch the whole thing there.
My site for Julia Sawalha (http://www.flip18.co.uk/Julia/index2.htm) also has some screencaps.

Re: the new Dr scene. At least there'll be something worth watching this year then. Usually I'd rather give the charity the money for them not show the Children in Need show!!

TheWarrior
November 9th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Picked up my TV Guide for next week - and the Doctor Who scene is scheduled for 9:00pm on the Friday.

Most of the time the schedule can be slightly wrong, especially with some show pieces running over their time slot etc.

Metarock Sam
November 9th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Well than fingers crossed that it will be good, no great, no Fantastic !!!

The Signal
November 9th, 2005, 09:19 AM
no, perfect :D

Missster.Freeman
November 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Picked up my TV Guide for next week - and the Doctor Who scene is scheduled for 9:00pm on the Friday.

Most of the time the schedule can be slightly wrong, especially with some show pieces running over their time slot etc.

Good, I can start taping at nine. :) I Better put the recoder on long play, cos you never know...

Dallista
November 9th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Over at Outpost Gallifrey (http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php) they've put together all the available news on the mini-episode.
Apparently only 3.5 minutes long. :-( Billie and David, and it picks up where Parting of the Ways left off...

iLemon
November 13th, 2005, 06:39 AM
What is the CiN thing on? Before or after 8pm?

IMForeman
November 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Anyone else seen the very brief trailer for it? Just a couple quick shots of Rose and the Doctor in the console room. The Doctor is still wearing the Ninth Doc's outfit. First one is him saying "I'm the Doctor." The second one has a loud alarm sounding (nothing like the Cloister Bell, more like an old fashioned alarm clock) and Rose asking "What's that?" The Doctor comes on screen and manically says "We're gonna crash land!!! HA-HA-HA!"

Dallista
November 13th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Anyone else seen the very brief trailer for it?
I've zapped into the trailer a bunch of times, and recorded it. :) I'm curious about the ringing, too. To me it sounds like a fire alarm used in buildings. Not at all like the Cloister Bell, which I thought sounds like a, well, *bell*. :p

Can I just say, I *LOVE* that manic laugh of his. Post-regenerative wackiness, yay!!!!

edited to add: Over at Outpost Gallifrey, they say that the Cloister Bell can be heard at the same time as the ringing, underneath the sound, so to speak. I just don't hear it myself...

TheWarrior
November 13th, 2005, 11:02 PM
What is the CiN thing on? Before or after 8pm?
BBC1 at 9:00pm on Friday 18th November

The Signal
November 14th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I loved that laugh, sounds a right nutter :D

Missster.Freeman
November 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I caught a clip of David Tennant at a premiere, not sure what it was though. He really does have a scottish accent! It's a pity he won't use it as the Dr.

I'll need to set the video recorder, cos I'll probably forget :rolleyes:

The Signal
November 15th, 2005, 09:30 AM
That Premier was most likely Harry Potter And the Goblet of Fire, as he has a small part in it Barty Crouch Jr. He is using Polyjuice potion to look like Prof. Moody, so it is a major character, but he only plays it at the very end and at one point, quite briefly, in the middle

IMForeman
November 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM
That Premier was most likely Harry Potter And the Goblet of Fire, as he has a small part in it Barty Crouch Jr. He is using Polyjuice potion to look like Prof. Moody, so it is a major character, but he only plays it at the very end and at one point, quite briefly, in the middle

The part's been expanded for the film. He's in a number of scenes now. The murder of Frank Bryce, the Quidditch World Cup, The Pensieve scene and the revalation that he's the ertzatz Moody.

Dallista
November 17th, 2005, 09:38 AM
For those not lucky enough to have access to BBC 1 tomorrow night, the 3.5 minute clip *will* be on-line (that is, legally) in streaming video at the Children in Need website, a mere half hour after it airs on BBC 1!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/appealnight/doctor_who_special.shtml

Right now, the same website has the trailer already on-line (you'll probably need realplayer to view it).

Missster.Freeman
November 17th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Ah I see, that's why I wasn't sure. I'm not into Harry Potter.

Remember UK viewers to tune into BBC1 before 9pm or set your video recorders. Failing that, click the link on the post above for the streamed on-line version. :)

Egeria
November 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Oooh I enjoyed that, wished it had lasted longer. Now I really can't wait till Christmas.:D

The Signal
November 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM
This was pretty good, new Doctor going nuts :S would like to see how the Doctor resolves his little problem. Didnt like the Cpt. Jack, I prefered thinking they thought he was dead, although Rose didn't know about that...

in circles
November 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM
That was awesome and well worth the suffering through the 'singing' that came before it.

Missster.Freeman
November 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
That was awesome and well worth the suffering through the 'singing' that came before it.

hahaha, nae luck folks :D I was lucky, I turned over at the right time.. phew!

Egeria
November 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
If anyone missed it/couldn't see it you can watch it here:D (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/appealnight/doctor_who_special.shtml)

Matt G
November 18th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Didn't bother catching Children in Need. Caught the Who segment online instead.

Solid enough piece of work all things considered, can't really be compared to my vague memories of "Dimensions in time"(played partly for laughs). Tennant did a good job of the Doctor going mental.

Mr Prophet
November 19th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Woo-hoo! Post-regeneration trauma, the Cloister Bell with added alarm clock; what wasn't to love?

Reefgirl
November 19th, 2005, 02:10 AM
I caught it online too, I think David Tennant is going to be perfect as the slightly weird Doctor

Dallista
November 19th, 2005, 11:21 AM
This was just perfect. Well, apart from the hopping, which I thought was just cringe-worthy OTT, but other than that... Tennant is utterly awesome, and I loved Piper's acting as a doubtful Rose. And, well, what can I say? I'm biased, of course. I'm a huge fan of angsty stuff, and this is very much starting to look like the problems the Fifth Doctor (my fave!) had after his regeneration, so how could I not love it? Bring on The Christmas Invasion!

One thing I don't get:
The Doctor tells Rose Jack is too busy rebuilding the earth (or repopulating? *LOL*). What the heck? First, how does he know Jack is alive, or for that matter, how does Rose know he's alive? And second, since they seem to know he's alive, how come they just left him behind?

The Signal
November 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Well the Doctor had the time vortex in his head so he knew because he pretty much saw everything that was happening on Sattelite 5. As for Rose, she had no knowledge of him dying, so she must have assumed he had been left behind, or the Doctor told her OS. The hoppng thing was pretty odd, just an insite into what this doctor will show us over the next 2 or more years (hopefully)

Oh and: he meant repopulating I'm sure :D

Reefgirl
November 19th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Plus John Barrowman can't appear in the second series but can in the third so hi has to be seen to be doing something

Mr Prophet
November 19th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Plus John Barrowman can't appear in the second series but can in the third so hi has to be seen to be doing something

Is he going to be in the third series now he's in the spin-off?

Egeria
November 19th, 2005, 03:31 PM
^ I've been wondering that as well.

Reefgirl
November 20th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Is he going to be in the third series now he's in the spin-off?

According to all the Gossip and Mr Barrowman himself, I saw him interviewed on Brekfast News a couple of months back and he said he'd be back in Dr Who for the third series

Mr Prophet
November 20th, 2005, 01:34 AM
According to all the Gossip and Mr Barrowman himself, I saw him interviewed on Brekfast News a couple of months back and he said he'd be back in Dr Who for the third series

But was that more recent than the announcement of Torchwood? I know that the word was that he'd be back for S3, but then they decided to use Captain Jack as the central character in Torchwood. If he is in series 3 as well, that would be a very heavy shooting schedule for a man who also works in the theatre.

Reefgirl
November 20th, 2005, 04:03 AM
I think it was before Torchwood was announced

The Signal
November 20th, 2005, 10:08 AM
When I heard he would be back for S3 The Parting of the Ways hadnt even shown yet. I am in doubt as to whether he will be back or not

Metarock Sam
November 21st, 2005, 03:01 PM
I might really annoy you guys here but I didnt like the scene much. It was far too short (come on I was at least told it was a mini episode not a 3 minute converstation). The post -regeneration trauma thing is starting to get a little overused . We had it in Davison, Colin Baker and albiet breifly with Paul McGann.
Plus im getting annoyed with Rose. (I think it waas because I saw that much ado about nothing thing.) I hope we get a better companion soon !!
On a lighter note I do actually like Tennants Doctor. He is kinda young at heart crazy man who may be afflicted by the trauma either for one episode or most of his regeneration. Still I liked his crazy laugh !!!

Dallista
November 21st, 2005, 11:15 PM
I might really annoy you guys here but I didnt like the scene much.
Don't see why that should annoy anyone. It's just your opinion. *shrug*

It was far too short (come on I was at least told it was a mini episode not a 3 minute converstation).
It's actually exactly 5 minutes long, i.e. without the "what happened before" and without the opening and end credits.

The post -regeneration trauma thing is starting to get a little overused. We had it in Davison, Colin Baker and albiet breifly with Paul McGann.
That's... oh, four out of nine regens? (It's early, if I miscounted, don't shoot me, I'm barely awake). Not too bad. But then, I'm biased; Castrovalva is my favorite episode. I *love* seeing regens going wrong, hehehe. Can't wait to see what trouble the Tenth Doctor has to go through in The Christmas Invasion before the regeneration settles.

Plus im getting annoyed with Rose. (I think it waas because I saw that much ado about nothing thing.) I hope we get a better companion soon !!
Sorry you feel that way. I think she's absolutely great. Poor girl must be reminded of the fact that in The End of the World, she suddenly realized that she had started to travel with a bloke she knew absolutely nothing about. Now he regenerates... something she definitely had no clue about would/could happen.

Oh, and I liked that Much Ado About Nothing movie. Except for Billie's hair...

On a lighter note I do actually like Tennants Doctor. He is kinda young at heart crazy man who may be afflicted by the trauma either for one episode or most of his regeneration. Still I liked his crazy laugh !!!
Oh, that manic laugh of his, wow! I'm in stitches every time I watch the mini-episode. Can't get enough of it. I really, really hope the Doctor can produce that kind of laugh when he's "normal", although I fear it's a one-time thing as part of the failing regeneration.

Is it X-mas yet!?

creed462
November 24th, 2005, 10:40 AM
It great, I watched on-line, First bit of the Doctor I've got to see, I hope we get it here in the states

The Signal
November 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Awwww, the link is down now :(

Willow'sCat
November 30th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Awwww, the link is down now :(Did you try the BBC Dr Who site? There are other ways to see it. ;) I liked it but this does mean he is going to have a hard regeneration and like with Peter Davison we may not get a good feel for who he is until after he fully regenerates which might be interesting (I put the hoping down to that myself). :D Bad regenerations are always entertaining will he survive? Well yes, but they can be fun to watch and Rose reacting like that was a little weird he (Chris) just got through telling her he would change and then the first thing she does is not believe him, that he (David) is still the Doctor! :rolleyes: