PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mallozzi's blog gone

prion
October 24th, 2005, 02:27 PM
What? Did it finally burst into flame from the insanity on the comments page?

Or has he given up blogging?

Qasim
October 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM
You can still view it through the google cache - http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:olsoC1bECqoJ:www.gateworld.net/blogs/jmallozzi/index.shtml+&hl=en

prion
October 24th, 2005, 02:40 PM
You can still view it through the google cache - http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:olsoC1bECqoJ:www.gateworld.net/blogs/jmallozzi/index.shtml+&hl=en

Er, that's not really the question. Let me rephrase. Is it gone, or this is a computer gliche and it will be back?

Qasim
October 24th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Its a computer glitch - the page has no code in it

If it was gone the page would have been removed and a page not found error would be displayed

prion
October 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Its a computer glitch - the page has no code in it

If it was gone the page would have been removed and a page not found error would be displayed

Well, I know it's not my computer as other folks have commented on this in other forums (wondering if he'd gotten fed up or something). So, will check back in a few days, although I'd really like to hear his comments on the renewals.

Qasim
October 24th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Sorry mistake - meant to say site glitch

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 24th, 2005, 03:02 PM
It probably is a site glitch, Darren Will fix it no time.

Darren
October 24th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I'm not able to reproduce this. I'm seeing the blog just fine, in multiple browsers.

Anyone else?

tsaxlady
October 24th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I'm not able to reproduce this. I'm seeing the blog just fine, in multiple browsers.

Anyone else?

Earlier today all I was getting was a blank page but the blog seems to be loading fine now. I was at work with a T1 line and the page would not load. I'm currently at home on dial-up and it is working fine.

prion
October 25th, 2005, 03:15 AM

Anyone else?

Whaever the site's glitch was, it's gone now. If you in via a search engine which linked you to the index page you got a white screen, but if you went in through the blog page, then clicked on joe's blog, it finally worked.

it was sorta obvious more than one person encountered the problem as the ranting on the comments page went down dramatically for several hours ;)

ShadowMaat
October 26th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Looks like the blog hiccupped again. It's the dreaded White Page of Death! :eek: ;)

Qasim
October 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I blame it on society :D

majorsal
October 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Looks like the blog hiccupped again. It's the dreaded White Page of Death! :eek: ;)

well, i hope they can get it back up. it's the most interesting thing going on in fandom right now. :p

sally :)

Ancient 61
October 26th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I just tried and all I got was a white page. :( :( :(
Joanne

LaCroix
October 26th, 2005, 07:37 PM

In a way Shadow--it's better then TBHTIS.

ShadowMaat
October 27th, 2005, 03:33 AM
In a way Shadow--it's better then TBHTIS.
The Blue Haired Trucker in Spandex? :P

Blog is still gone. Has anyone actually told Darren about it yet?

shinyredpants
October 27th, 2005, 06:25 AM
i can't see it and i've used many browsers and many computers trying to on campus.

Darren
October 27th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Ah, this time I actually saw it!

My guess is that it's being caused by Blogger, in some way, shape, or form due to the massive amounts of comments being posted. But never fear -- there is no loss of data. I just have to go in there and republish the main index.

Hopefully Blogger will find its bug one of these days. In the meantime ... 200+ comments in six days? C'mon guys, give the guy a break. Post here in the forum every once in a while, too. ;)

ShadowMaat
October 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah, but 99% of those comments are the nasty, inflammatory, hateful, trollish vomitings of "Anonymous". They couldn't post any of that here because it'd breach the rules, get deleted, get them modded, AND everyone would know who they are.

FoolishPleasure
October 27th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I blame it on society :D
I blame global warming. :D

Seriously - I'm another who would like the "anonymous" option removed, if possible. I know Joe is a Big Boy who can handle it, but its disheartening to see people being so disrespectful.

Qasim
October 27th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Hopefully Blogger will find its bug one of these days. In the meantime ... 200+ comments in six days? C'mon guys, give the guy a break. Post here in the forum every once in a while, too. ;)From what I am told quite a lot of them are from other forums such as scifi

FoolishPleasure
October 27th, 2005, 10:54 AM
From what I am told quite a lot of them are from other forums such as scifi
If that is the case, can posting on the Blog be restricted to only those registered on GW?

Qasim
October 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Nope unless they create a custom blog (and that would be difficult to link to gw anyway) - with the current setup no chance the best they could do is get rid of the anonymous setting

ShadowMaat
October 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM
From the way Darren explained it to me, I got the impression that it was either live with all the trolls, or block everyone who isn't registered with blogger.

Personally, I could live with that. But it's Joe's and Darren's perogatives.

Darren
October 28th, 2005, 05:56 PM
It's up to Joe, ultimately. If this white-out problem persists I might encourage him to go with Blogger-registered users, just for the sake of reducing the size of the comment threads.

ShadowMaat
October 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
It's up to Joe, ultimately. If this white-out problem persists I might encourage him to go with Blogger-registered users, just for the sake of reducing the size of the comment threads.
In that case, flame on. :D

Would be nice to see the trolls get the wind knocked out of their sails. Bit of a sad commentary on the state of fandom, and disappointing that the non-trolls would have to lose out, too, but if it'd end the mess that has become the blog comments, I don't think too many would object. Not the rational folks, anyway.

majorsal
October 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM
In that case, flame on. :D

Would be nice to see the trolls get the wind knocked out of their sails. Bit of a sad commentary on the state of fandom, and disappointing that the non-trolls would have to lose out, too, but if it'd end the mess that has become the blog comments, I don't think too many would object. Not the rational folks, anyway.

i'm not sure how i feel about the blog going unanonymous... there's this perverse pleasure in reading jerry springer's - i mean joe mallozzi's blog. but i don't know how much longer joe can deal with it... i mean, it *does* make one sad for the state of ppl in general, not just stargate fandom. :( but going anonymous gives ppl the freedom of stating *exactly* how they feel, but it also gives ppl the freedom of stating *exactly* how they feel... :S

win/lose/win/lose situation.

ShadowMaat
October 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah, but folks are taking to attacking each other and bashing the actors/actresses... and bashing each other some more. :rolleyes: And there's very little constructive ANYTHING in all that mess.

If people are going to abuse their anonymity, they're going to suffer the consequences... and make everyone else suffer, too.

majorsal
October 28th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, but folks are taking to attacking each other and bashing the actors/actresses... and bashing each other some more. :rolleyes: And there's very little constructive ANYTHING in all that mess.

If people are going to abuse their anonymity, they're going to suffer the consequences... and make everyone else suffer, too.

true, and that's why i can't make up my mind how i want it to go down. ;)

Skydiver
October 31st, 2005, 04:50 AM
the one thing about making it registered bloggers only...they can still make up a sockie to keep their anonimity. usually all registering takes is a name and e-mail...and yahoo has a near limitless amount of e-mails that can be used

yes, stuff can be tracked down to a person, but they can now if someone so wishes. i don't think anything on the net is truly as anonymous as folks think it is

One thing i wish folks would get a grip on, the recent issues with Amanda have nothing to do with him (as far as i know anyway), they're decisions that have come from 'on high' and it's nothing Joe has control over. reaming him accomplishes nothing. (well except for providing a source of amusement. I would imagine that the comments are highly mocked at bridge studios)

ShadowMaat
October 31st, 2005, 05:13 AM
Oh, I know it wouldn't stop ALL of them, and it's probably the most virulent and despicable ones who'd be most inclined to register to continue their campaign of hatred, but I do think it'd help to cut down on SOME of it. And hopefully, rude as it seems, it'd also cut out some of the people who feel honor bound to react to the trollings, thus escalating the situation. Again, it wouldn't "clean up" everything going on in the comments, but I don't think the replies would be in the 350 range anymore.

prion
October 31st, 2005, 08:31 AM

What? people must create blogs in order to respond?

Why not put a limit on the thread? 100 comments max.

Meanwhile, he said he did enjoy reading the 'wackos' in fandom so he must having a ball reading some of the downright insanity on that comments page. Seeing how as some of the more virulent posts were signed, registering as a 'blogger' it may not discourage remarks, but at least the anonymous folk wouldn't think they are anonymous (when in fact some folks' writing is so distinctive it's not hard to miss who signed a post even if they didn't sign it).

The comments page on his latest blog is bizarre, and there isn't a single comments page on his blog where I think it' stayed on tracked, come to think of it.

But there is no solution as fans react to JM like they used to react to JMS (guy who created B5).

Darren
October 31st, 2005, 08:52 AM
What? people must create blogs in order to respond? Nope, they'd just need to sign up for a free account at Blogger.

Why not put a limit on the thread? 100 comments max. It's apparently possible to "close" a comments thread, but it's up to Joe to do it.

The comments page on his latest blog is bizarre, and there isn't a single comments page on his blog where I think it' stayed on tracked, come to think of it.

But there is no solution as fans react to JM like they used to react to JMS (guy who created B5). Yes, fans will be fans. :)

prion
November 1st, 2005, 02:21 PM
Nope, they'd just need to sign up for a free account at Blogger.

Not to snark, but signing up ad naseum just to make a post makes no sense. Gads, fingerprints will next ;)

Darren
November 1st, 2005, 02:54 PM
Yep, I'd certainly rather not require it, which is why it's not been required heretofor.

ShadowMaat
November 5th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Well, the blog is there, but now the comments come up as 404 NOT FOUND.

Considering the tone of some of 'em, that may be a good thing. ;)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 5th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I don't get it, why is it always Joe's and not anybody elses??

ShadowMaat
November 5th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I don't get it, why is it always Joe's and not anybody elses??
Because Joe is the only one to get 300-400+ replies. ;) Lots of heated, angry, back-and-forth retorts add up fast (sometimes literally), and that puts a strain on Blogger. Or something like that...

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 5th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah that is true.

Darren
November 7th, 2005, 08:31 AM
The newest comments thread is coming up fine for me, as of Monday at 12:30 pm EST. (Ironically, there are "404" comments ...)