X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are those stick-weapons of Teyla's called?q

Howdie all

Just wondering what those stick-weapons of Teyla Emmagen's were called, I'm writing a fanfiction story at the moment (or trying to) and don't just want to refer to them as 'stick-weapons' or 'clubs', cause that doesn't really fit does it?

Thanks for your help with this, would be greatly appreciated!

Capt

Originally posted by TheCaptain
    Howdie all

Just wondering what those stick-weapons of Teyla Emmagen's were called, I'm writing a fanfiction story at the moment (or trying to) and don't just want to refer to them as 'stick-weapons' or 'clubs', cause that doesn't really fit does it?

Thanks for your help with this, would be greatly appreciated!

Capt
    That's a tough one. I think those are just "sticks." If there is a formal name for the weapons, i don't know what it is. You could also just make up a name that sounds right, too.

Comment

I've seen them referred to as staves. Don't know if this is the "technical" name for them, though.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
        I've seen them referred to as staves. Don't know if this is the "technical" name for them, though.
        Staves sounds like a decent name.

Comment

Those medium length polka dotted sticks she sometimes uses are called escrima. I used them when I did Kendo. They have this wonderful smell of burning BBQ when they're clacked against each other. Mm mm!

edit: at least I vaugly remember her using polka dotted sticks....she does, right? I'm sleep deprived, I see dots...
          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Sticks
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

polka dotted sticks? I think you are seeing dots.

I don't remember there being polka dots any any of the sticks.

Comment

Ah, dangit! So this is what happens when you go to bed at 3 and wake up barely at 10.

edit: I'm looking at the pics and those sticks kind of look like wooden practise katanas.. should someone ask BamBam?
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                  Ah, dangit! So this is what happens when you go to bed at 3 and wake up barely at 10.
                  So it would seem...

Comment

You mean these?

I've heard them refered to as 'Athosian Fighting rods'....which is a term that brings all kind of un PG thoughts to mind especially when Shep is wielding them

Sorry. One track mind.
                    FBI - Special Agent VonKnibble. Head of the Post-Whump Protectorate
                    There is no point in arguing with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

See??? A faint trail of polka dot! I still see it! Argh!
                      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Thanks for the great replies, y'all! I'm real tired here and its very early/late, so we[ll have to look past the crazy typin please

Yahoo Dictionary definitons says it pretty simply - staves is plural of staff. Staff/stick is a wooden weapon device, or at least one of its uses is, so that could be the good term of prhase I'm looking for!

The 'Athosian Fighting rod' might just be substituted with stave... it's not going to be THAT type of fiction, VK!

Capt

Comment

They're called Collie sticks. I know because I've used them in a form of karate called Jeet Kune Do a form of bruce lees martial arts.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Battering Sticks sounds good
                            //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                            Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

They might have a special name for them, but here in the US they're referred to as batons.
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                              X