This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedded gate?

Every time I see something about the new show, that gate at Atlantis has the bottom 8th or so in the ground. So how is it still able to open a wormhole? I thought that if something was blocking the opening (iris of axis or stones) then it would not engage a wormhole. Any thoughts…
    "I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly." --- Moe Szyslak

How about some common sence.

If the stargate works while its an 8th in the ground, then the stargate works while an 8th in the ground. Obviously the gate doesnt need the entire diameter of the gate to be uncovered for the event to occur. The "swish" effect of the energy release doesnt not take up the entire event horizon area, it mushrooms.

Comment

Many a gate encountered on SG-1 has been the same way. I've been wondering about this myself. I guess we're not really supposed to notice.
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Brickster

Obviously the gate doesnt need the entire diameter of the gate to be uncovered for the event to occur.
        Do we know this for sure? And the gateway itself (blue water thing/ event horizon) takes up the whole gate. I could have swore that at sometime they talked about misaligning the iris even a few millimeters into the gate so it would be enough to stop a wormhole from opening???
        "I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly." --- Moe Szyslak

Comment

You're right, they did say that. Don't remember which episode off-hand, though.
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I think the gate has to be entirely covered to stop a wormhole from forming. I remember an episode where they were finding a way to dial the gate faster so a Goa'uld couldn't dial-in. If that was the case why wouldn't someone just stick their hand through the gate so a wormhole couldn't form?
            Also it's possible the event horizon is actually only 2D, so it doesn't actually occupy any real "space", so it wouldn't matter if anything is covering the bottom 8th of the stargate because the event horizon doesn't really exist in our space, if you get what I'm saying.

If you look closely you'll even notice that the earth gate is covering the bottom. For some reason I always though there was a slit in the floor where the stargate is, but it turns out there isn't.
            Last edited by Chevron_nine; 12 July 2004, 05:59 PM.
            My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

The gate has protocols to make sure that underwater gates won't gush water through by sensing what it's submerged in.

It would be reasonable to assume that the ancients could design the gate to accomidate for a reasonable platform that it is mounted on.
              sigpic

Comment

For some reason, nearly every stargate shown in the series that is free-standing is embedded into the floor or ground where it is. Maybe not quite as much as what the Atlantis one is, but to some degree.
                The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

So long as the kawoosh doesn't hit the platform, it should be fine.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's only if anything solid is stucking in and through the gate that the event horizon won't form. Then the gate is essentially "buried." The only thing the iris does is that it blocks incoming matter from forming.
                    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
                      I remember an episode where they were finding a way to dial the gate faster so a Goa'uld could dial-in. If that was the case why wouldn't someone just stick their hand through the gate so a wormhole couldn't form?
                      maybe the sgc should get a large but movable stone block to use when need be.

Comment

They should have found a way to do faster dialing by now. They were working on this a while back
                        __

__

Comment

The "rapid-dialing" sequence has been used once or twice ("Serpent's Song" comes to mind) - I'd assume that it's still an option to be used, but the SGC would be hesitant to constantly use it, for fear of wearing on mechanical components.

The military is very keen on using technology which is simple, tried, tested, and proven; essentially, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The dialing mechanism has proven itself some 1,000 times - why change it if it's worked so well?
                          "So are we taking your car or mine, or am I just gonna follow you?"
                          Daniel Jackson - "Affinity"

Comment

A similar question, and I'm sure it's been brought up before, what type of matter does the event horizon "disolve" or vaporize (I think the apropriate term is sublimate) and what types do not? Basically, any human standing in the way of the splash back will be killed instantly, but the iris won't disapear durring splash back. I also remember a specific episode where the SGC shot a superheated LASER through the wormhole to melt the rock on the other side, allowing the splash back to form a bubble. When the rock was solid, the bubble coudn't form. However, we've also seen loose soil be "disolved" by the splash back to for a hole in the ground when the gate is on the side. Anyway, my question is, what determines if matter is disolved or not by the even horizon splash back? (My thought is: whatever is convenient for TPTB)

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                              A similar question, and I'm sure it's been brought up before, what type of matter does the event horizon "disolve" or vaporize (I think the apropriate term is sublimate) and what types do not? Basically, any human standing in the way of the splash back will be killed instantly, but the iris won't disapear durring splash back. I also remember a specific episode where the SGC shot a superheated LASER through the wormhole to melt the rock on the other side, allowing the splash back to form a bubble. When the rock was solid, the bubble coudn't form. However, we've also seen loose soil be "disolved" by the splash back to for a hole in the ground when the gate is on the side. Anyway, my question is, what determines if matter is disolved or not by the even horizon splash back? (My thought is: whatever is convenient for TPTB)
                              The iris is too close to let any destructive vortex particles form, if that's what you mean.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X