PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Opens Singapore Toon Unit

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 21st, 2005, 11:48 AM
From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=32954

Lucas Opens Singapore Toon Unit

More than a year since its formation was announced, Lucasfilm Animation Co. Singapore will open Oct. 27, Variety reported.

The U.S.-based vice president and general manager of Lucasfilm Animation, Gail Currey, will be in town for the opening ceremony at the facility in Changi Business Park, the trade paper reported.

Heading up the 50-strong operation is G.M. Chris Kubsch, a German native who was previously a production executive at DreamWorks Animation and produced major animated features, as well as visual-effects and character animation for many live-action pictures.

The Singapore studio is expected to handle much of the animation and special effects for the upcoming Star Wars toons and live-action TV series announced by George Lucas earlier this year.

yaaayoubetcha
October 24th, 2005, 05:57 AM
there's no software job that a 3rd world country can't do for less.

kinda makes me want to get into hardware....almost.

Easter Lily
October 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
It's weird when I hear someone call Singapore a third world country... I suppose it is in a way... But you'd be surprised how much people get paid in Singapore...
The cost of living there is very high in some areas...

yaaayoubetcha
October 26th, 2005, 06:02 AM
It's weird when I hear someone call Singapore a third world country... I suppose it is in a way... But you'd be surprised how much people get paid in Singapore...
The cost of living there is very high in some areas...

that's true.

lots of well paid people, but many more less than well paid. but that's true anywhere.

the west pumped a lot of money into Singapore back in the 70s and 80s when it was first discovered they could move manufacturing over there and still save money after shipping back to North America/Europe.

I'd love to visit, but I can't quite get my wife to embrace Asia as a vacation spot. :(

Easter Lily
October 27th, 2005, 02:39 AM
I'd love to visit, but I can't quite get my wife to embrace Asia as a vacation spot. :(

Singapore, though hot and humid, is considerably cleaner than most of Asia.

yaaayoubetcha
October 27th, 2005, 05:21 AM
oh it's not the cleanliness or the weather...

it's a skin tone thing....she's a very shy lady and really doens't like going to a country where she feels she'll rather stand out.

i've tried to convince her that, it's not really like that....but....
meh...
will just have to find somebody else to go with.

skritsys
October 27th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Singapore is now going toony. Great...more jobs going overseas.