• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zathura Star Trips Through Time

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=32952

Zathura Star Trips Through Time

Dax Shepard, who plays an astronaut in Jon Favreau's upcoming SF family film Zathura, told SCI FI Wire the movie marks his second adventure in time travel. Shepard plays an astronaut who says he travels through a "time sphincter" wormhole when he meets up with two boys. Next year, in Idiocracy, Shepard plays one of the dumbest guys on the planet about 500 years into the future.

"There wasn't much to prepare for the role," Shepard said about Zathura. "It wasn't like they had to put me in the space program. I think the biggest preparation I had to do was to put on the space suit." Shepard's character is part of a board game the boys find, which blasts them and their housef into space.

Favreau, a self-professed SF fan, said that his actors were fascinated by the idea of time travel. But, he conceded, "I'll be the first to admit that time travel is a flawed notion. You can disprove there is time travel by definition, because you can keep going back until you hit a reality when time travel was never discovered and then get locked into that time and never change anymore. Science fiction accepts the fact that there probably isn't time travel, but this is a kiddie movie."

Idiocracy is written and directed by Office Space writer Mike Judge and also stars Luke Wilson as an average underachieving military private who volunteers for a hibernation experiment. When Wilson's character wakes up in the future, he discoverse that he's the smartest guy on the planet. Maya Rudolph from Saturday Night Live portrays a prostitute who also agrees to the experiment. Shepard is one of the citizens from the future.

"I don't know why it's taking so long for it to come out, but I know all of Mike Judge's movies take a bit of time to come out," Shepard said. "America has dumbed down, which is probably happening right now, and [Wilson] is the smartest man in the world, and I'm arguably the dumbest man in the world. To get [into the role] I decorated my trailer with monster truck posters, which was the extent of my research for that movie, and I gained 35 pounds, which is something I wouldn't do again."

Zathura, based on the children's book by The Polar Express author Chris Van Allsburg, also stars Tim Robbins, Jonah Bobo, Kristen Stewart and Josh Hutcherson and opens on Nov. 11.
    sigpic
Working...
X