PDA

View Full Version : New Wormhole

DownFallAngel
July 11th, 2004, 01:23 PM
How many people like the new wormhole?

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Dunno, have to see it in high-res with sound effects before I pass judgement.

AgentX
July 11th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen it properly enough to make an accurate judgement. Early verdict is that it is cool.

Elwe Singollo
July 11th, 2004, 02:52 PM
I haven't seen it yet, i've always thought it was going to be the same, haha..

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 03:00 PM
I never really liked the original version so I guess it isn't that hard to make it better imo:>

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I'm always partial to greenish blue colors, and I think there was some green in this one.

Of course, when travelling through a stargate, the characters never see it, it's just a visual effect that we have so that we know they are moving...but anyway! I like it.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 03:15 PM
sooo... Green or Blue?=))))

Chevron_nine
July 11th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I've always liked the old one, specially when they show the entire sequence like in COTG or the movie. the best part is when it shows a sort of track in space with stars in the background and stars flaring as they pass by. I'll have to see the new one in it's entirety before I judge it, although I think I'll always like the original better. I mean what's with the green? There are no green starts in space:p

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 03:19 PM
The entire sequence is shown during intergalactic travel. Take a glance at the Fifth Race.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Yes you just had to do it. Take the single bad thing from the best ep ever and just print it out on a 300 feet big sign!

I hate you Mio :P

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Yes you just had to do it. Take the single bad thing from the best ep ever and just print it out on a 300 feet big sign!

I hate you Mio :P
It's because you know that I'm better than you :)

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Maybe in Reverseville yes. :O

Ugly Pig
July 11th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I wonder why TPTB has spent a chunk of the budget on a new wormhole sequence when they already had a prefectly good one? Not that I'm complaining, I just find it curious. Maybe they decided they shouldn't keep recycling footage from the movie forever? :D

SGSlugger
July 11th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I wonder why TPTB has spent a chunk of the budget on a new wormhole sequence when they already had a prefectly good one? Not that I'm complaining, I just find it curious. Maybe they decided they shouldn't keep recycling footage from the movie forever? :D

Maybe its used for when the team initally travels from Earth to the Peagus galaxy. It doesn't make any sense to me, that since all the stargates operate on the same principal (IMO towards creating a wormhole), that the wormhole should appear the same, since it is the same. (Unless there are different types of wormholes out there. :p ) So esentially it's just a pointless way of making the show different from SG-1.

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Magnets.

But in all seriousness, how much could it have costed? A copy of 3d studio max and an hours time, and anyone could really come up with something that would probably be acceptable.

Janus
July 12th, 2004, 01:43 AM
I'm always partial to greenish blue colors, and I think there was some green in this one.

Of course, when travelling through a stargate, the characters never see it, it's just a visual effect that we have so that we know they are moving...but anyway! I like it.

Actually, in the movie, Daniel saw the wormhole.
He moved halfway into the puddle with his eyes closed and then opened them.
So I think he saw it before he stepped through all the way.

Teal'c
July 12th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Actually, in the movie, Daniel saw the wormhole.
He moved halfway into the puddle with his eyes closed and then opened them.
So I think he saw it before he stepped through all the way.
Yes, in the movie... we all know what a great grasp on science D&E have :P

Anubis
July 12th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Yeah, everything is in the movies now!

aAnubiSs
July 12th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Yeah, everything is in the movies now!

Even Furlings?!

wilhelmganon
July 13th, 2004, 06:16 AM
In all seriousness, a new effect was made, in all liklihood, to give the show a fresh/modern feeling compared to SG-1.

From the perspective of wormholes looking "different," wasn't there a kind of kaleidoscope/multi-color effect at one point during O'Neill's Milky Way/Ida transit?

Stargate Agent
July 13th, 2004, 08:25 AM
In all seriousness, a new effect was made, in all liklihood, to give the show a fresh/modern feeling compared to SG-1.

From the perspective of wormholes looking "different," wasn't there a kind of kaleidoscope/multi-color effect at one point during O'Neill's Milky Way/Ida transit?

The new wormhole looks cool. Has kinda that teal effect as well (Atlantis Color). It is to be expected. New show maybe a bigger budget so they gotta update.

Star Trek: TOS for example had klingons looking like humans in the show but after they started doing movies the studio got a bigger budget and they went for big makeup for klingons on the show. It isn't because the wormhole is different just that they have more money to do stuff I think. :cool:

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM
This new wormhole was awesome!

KayMan2k
July 16th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Its was shorter :) The original movie and SG-1 effect was quite long. Anyway, that old wormhole effect was created 10 YEARS AGO.

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 07:26 PM
I loved the new effect :)

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Its was shorter :) The original movie and SG-1 effect was quite long. Anyway, that old wormhole effect was created 10 YEARS AGO.
Maybe the Atlantis gate system was "updated" to improve overall wormhole travel. (shorter, faster, maybe less energy needed, etc...) Thus the new appearance. :)

PYRO
July 17th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Some green? There was pink!

ThatGuyPSU
July 17th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Different Gate, different network = different wormhole.

In reality, the producers wanted the show to look different than SG-1, hense the new Stargate.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 07:57 AM
The new wormhole was awsome. Much better then the blue one :)

Kraw
July 17th, 2004, 08:10 AM
I liked the new one too. It's so diff, yet, so the same :)

I like the sound effects too

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 09:04 AM
They did have new sound effects right1!?

Kaloo
July 17th, 2004, 09:18 AM
It in my opinion looks like they pulled it out of sliders and recolored it...

I love it

Chevron 1
July 17th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Although I like the original version, despite it being taken straight from the original movie, I like the new one. Remember, they have to make their wormhole different that the classic SG-1 wormhole. I think they did fine.

Hyperspace
July 17th, 2004, 10:20 AM
It's a different galaxy...I loved the blue-green new wormhole, kinda reminded me of the 'conduit' in the film Contact...of coursefor intra-galaxy trips the ride will be less dramatic?

Manic
July 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM
The change in wormhole probably has something to do with the distance traveled, as well as subspace anomalies that distorted the theoretical... Ah, who am I kidding? I'm no scientist. I just think it looks kool.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM
haha someone gave me bad rep. in this thread :o

diek
July 17th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Sadly, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis fall prey to the worst enemy of them all...entertainment lawyers. I imagine since the wormhole effect in sg-1 was licensed from the movie, they couldn't use that effect in atlantis without having to pay another licensing fee. Similar to why Teal'c and Carter weren't in the Atlantis primere, because of legalistic reasons... the all mighty dollar can take on a hundred death gliders without flinching!

I do like the new effect regardless! And this post is pure speculation...I'm not a lawyer or an insider.

uknesvuinng
July 17th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Sadly, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis fall prey to the worst enemy of them all...entertainment lawyers. I imagine since the wormhole effect in sg-1 was licensed from the movie, they couldn't use that effect in atlantis without having to pay another licensing fee. Similar to why Teal'c and Carter weren't in the Atlantis primere, because of legalistic reasons... the all mighty dollar can take on a hundred death gliders without flinching!

I do like the new effect regardless! And this post is pure speculation...I'm not a lawyer or an insider.
That may also have something to do with the lack of zats and probable lack of transport rings.

Chevron_nine
July 17th, 2004, 11:47 PM
After seeing the new wormhole in it's entirety, I have to say that I still like the original one better. It just seemed a little too plain to me. It was just a green swirvy tube. I don't think the sound effects outdid the original either. The original screeching noise seems a lot better to me. It was also way too short for an intergalactic wormhole. It was only 10 seconds. wasn't the original something like 30 secs? At least it leaves more time for the actual story, which I must admit was great.

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 10:16 AM
I like the new Atlantis wormhole... it suits the new gates.