Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theories you've had about Lost that you later discarded (Possible spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theories you've had about Lost that you later discarded (Possible spoilers)

This could be a fun topic. The ambiguity of Lost makes it possible to come up with tons of theories in regards to its story. Ignore for the time being, however, that the writers stated that there's a scientific explanation for everything. What theories had you developed while watching Lost, that you later deemed unfitting for whatever reason? It could be anything that crossed your mind and you thought about as a possible explanation/reason/theory/etc. Here's a couple of mine:

Theory: The island is Purgatory.
    How I came up with it: A lot of the story seems to deal with redemption of some sort. Along with Locke regaining the ability to walk and everyone surviving what seemed to be a devastating plane crash, it's an interesting theory.
    Why I discarded it: I started to get speculative about that theory after the Marshall and Boone's deaths. Then I disregarded it entirely when I heard that J.J. Abrams had specifically stated that this is not the case.

Theory: The island is a center of Cthulhu worship.
    How I came up with it: I am semi-familiar with the works of H.P. Lovecraft, whom thought up a rather large group of godlike beings, the most popular being Cthulhu, a giant "monster" with an octopus-like head. The thing that got me thinking about the connection between Cthulhu mythos and Lost was that according to Lovecraft, Cthulhu is "asleep" in the Lost City of R'lyeh, somewhere in the southern Pacific Ocean and I heard that a nearby island is populated with a cult that worships him. Due to the fantasy element of Lovecraft's stories, it's entirely possible that the paranormal or occult could be involved with this particular cult.
    Why I discarded it: I had the theory for about 10 minutes until I looked up the actual coordinates that Lovecraft gave as the location of R'lyeh. It ended up that the city was supposed to be in the southeastern Pacific Ocean, over a thousand miles away from the location of the island according to the GPS Theory behind the Numbers, but, more importantly, nowhere near a plausible flight path from Sydney to Los Angeles.

Your turn.
    Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.
Working...
X