Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis' New Puddle Jumper Manufacturing Plant.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis' New Puddle Jumper Manufacturing Plant.

Hello all, this is my first post to the forum - I did a few searches and didn't see this subject yet, so...

Thought occurred to me that they will run out of jumpers if they keep getting them trashed, plus I bet earth would like to have a couple handy. Since Atlantis is huge, I'm sure there is room in the future story line for a jumper production plant.

I used to be a big fan (not since season 4) of Andromeda. Something I always liked was the self sufficient nature of the ship. In episode 206, after firing their entire load of missiles, the Andromeda AI (now Dr. Lam) says "That's our entire offensive payload", and captain Hunt replies "We'll find you a nice asteroid field when we're done so you can make more." link: http://home.neo.rr.com/nikojen/transcript/ATH.txt

You probably know where I am going with this.

I'd assume since Atlantis was semi portable they would plan such manufacturing into the city. So maybe in a future episode when exploring the full blown, and powered up city - they could come across a manufacturing plant for varieties of the PJ. I'd think there would be standard models and perhaps specialty fighter models that take much longer to construct.

What it could add to the story:
    - More searching for raw materials. Maybe earth would have to mine and send some parts.
    - Less regret of sending a remote controlled ship on a suicide mission.
    - "Half developed"/"on the drawing board" more advanced models that were being conceived near the end of the Wraith war. (see below P.S.)

How they are manufactured:
    Since the ancients seemed to be so good with matter-energy-matter conversion, I can't see all the parts being assembled like they are today in an assembly line. Meaning, with applicable energy I'd assume you could just create a jumper from scratch (maybe minus energy source) using a stargate with pre-programmed matter matrix (hate to use that over-used word). But, of course that wouldn't work for the story because they'd just bring in a hundred mark-II naquida generators and suddenly they'd have unlimited ships to send back to earth and use against the Wraith. So, maybe certain pieces & parts can be created via energy-matter conversion, but others need to be supplied.

In thread 4162 http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=4162 a jelly fish asked why puddle jumpers don't have hyperdrives. Perhaps the Eddie Bauer (sic) edition could have a moderate hyperdrive, with cramped quarters in the rear compartment - like the PJ with the time travel engine. This would add an interesting concept to the story line if you could only put 2-3 people in one of these long range PJ's vs 8-14 people.

Caveats:
    - Can't be easy to manufacture mass amounts of them (mentioned above).
    - They can probably make the missiles that the PJs and the central Atlantis defense chair launches too. Likely it would cost massive amounts of energy to build these to keep the story going where they suddenly don't have an unlimited arsenal.

P.S. Something else I liked about Andromeda was the concept of Anti-Gravity on the outer hull. If you have the ability to create gravity with-in your ship - it's likely you can create anti-gravity. On Andromeda the outer hull was charged with anti-gravity so an approaching missile and it's explosion would be pushed away from the ship. With as advanced as the PJs are, maybe an "upgraded" model could be later found in the manufacturing plant's database that supported an AG field and perhaps a minor shield. After all, if they can build a slightly larger than an egg human shield (Dr. McKay), I'd think a PJ could have a enough juice to power something that could take a hit from a death glider (Mobius part 2).

Thanks.
    Last edited by absmith; 19 October 2005, 04:56 PM.

Interesting. I too, would like to see a manufacturing plant, but I don't think that we'll see one any time soon. You have a good concept laid out and I think the writers could do many things with what you've put forth.
    Respectfully,
    -Kralizec

"The only truth is that the knowledge of the universe is infinite."

Comment

Nah we won't see it. For the same reason that we won't ever find a Stargate Manufacturing plant. I'm sure there was one at some point, but the show just can't handle the implications. Anyplace that is a manufacturing point for ancient tech of any kind is too valuable, everyone in the galaxy will be all over it, it'll create massive chaos all over the place, etc. In other words it's like finding the holy grail...it's too powerful to put in the show.
      The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

MOst of the production plants, outside atlantis, in the PG would be destroyed due to the wraith's war

Comment

I'd like to see ancient manufacturing plants only in an AR episode, just to see what they looked like and how they work etc. etc.

But i wouldnt want them to be in Atlantis right now because it would give us a great advantage over the wraith, which would give us no story, it'd be like

Dr. Weir, we came in contact with the wraith today and they read teyla's mind and they learned where we are, but no need to worry since we're able to make more ancient ships and weapons, we just destroyed the hve ship so nothing to worry about

BTW...Welcome the forum absmith
          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
            I'd like to see ancient manufacturing plants only in an AR episode, just to see what they looked like and how they work etc. etc.

But i wouldnt want them to be in Atlantis right now because it would give us a great advantage over the wraith, which would give us no story, it'd be like

Dr. Weir, we came in contact with the wraith today and they read teyla's mind and they learned where we are, but no need to worry since we're able to make more ancient ships and weapons, we just destroyed the hve ship so nothing to worry about

BTW...Welcome the forum absmith
            Not really, you still have to have someone to man the weapons. Even if they were able to manufacture a fleet warsips it wouldn't do much good without a crew that can opperate them.

Comment

Originally posted by hyzmarca
              Not really, you still have to have someone to man the weapons. Even if they were able to manufacture a fleet warsips it wouldn't do much good without a crew that can opperate them.
              Well 1: their doing a good job now at operating ancient tech
              2: whats the point in building the ships if no one can operate them

The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

I wouldn't imagine there'd be a plant there, just as an aircraft carrier doesn't have an F-14 manufacturing plant. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

I would think they would have the plans for the jumpers in the database somewhere buried, and that once they discover that, then they will be able to possibly build more using imported materials from Earth or something.
                  All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                  Pay it forward

Comment

Nah we won't see it......Anyplace that is a manufacturing point for ancient tech of any kind is too valuable, everyone in the galaxy will be all over it
                    Good points, however - I think Atlantis is completely tempting to others with or without a PJ assembly line.
                    MOst of the production plants, outside atlantis, in the PG would be destroyed due to the wraith's war
                    .... Or, they are still hidden away The ancients seemed to be quite good at hiding things.
                    But i wouldnt want them to be in Atlantis right now because it would give us a great advantage over the wraith, which would give us no story
                    If you noticed from the big fight in the season premire, the Wraith adapted to the "beaming a nuke on board" trick quickly enough, and I'm sure they would adapt to flying a stealth PJ in quickly enough. Their race is pretty old, I'm sure they've come across quite a few tricky races. It seems more that they get lazy when unchallenged for so long.
                    I wouldn't imagine there'd be a plant there, just as an aircraft carrier doesn't have an F-14 manufacturing plant. Maybe I'm wrong though.
                    I can't remember the exact size of Atlantis, but last I checked an aircraft carrier wasn't the size of Manhattan. Isn't Atlantis a couple miles in Diameter? I can't remember. Even if it was one mile in diameter that's plenty o' space for a building that could produce Ancient technology. Also, I don't think equating Atlantis to a aircraft carrier is completely right. Remember, they only really moved Atlantis one time - from Earth to PG. At least thats what the story says so far. Update 2/7/2006 http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23768 - size question answered

One related idea - maybe instead of discovering a jumper plant on Atlantis, they'll find a semi-working manufacturing ship that can go to a planet/asteroid field/etc and mine materials automatically. Sure this is kind of big thinking, but the Ancients always thought big didn't they? As advanced as they were I can't see them ever using manual labor. I actually can't see the Goa'old having slave planets do it either with their level of technology, but it makes for a story

Thanks everyone for your input and welcomes.
                    Last edited by absmith; 06 February 2006, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I think it's quite likely that at some point we're going to see the PJ's factory. As someone stated they are going to run out at some time if they don't make more.

With regards to the comment about the stargate factory I think it would be cool if it WAS found but becomes destroyed.

EG, the plant has been making stargates automatically for 10'000 years with a powerplant which hasn't been maintained due to lack of ancient engineers. Perhaps the energy plant could become unstable in the middle of a wraith/Ori fight to gain control over the factory and then BOOOOOOM.

The fight for power over it ultimately destroys it just after the SG team manage to download the database containing the information to build them. OF course in reality it would take them another season to make any use of this database so they'd still have a show which isn't too "easy".

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Yeah I just realised that your right. According to the story the city did only move 1 time.

Maybe they built the city on a platform to avouid earthquakes etc. Then they decided to move to another galaxy and so made modifications to the city in order to take it with them.

Personally I think there's far more flights to it than 1. Remember in the premiere, we see Atlantis lift off from the outpost?

Atlantis seemed to be seated on the outpost like a Gou'ald ship on a pyramid. If you watch the scene again you can see as the city takes off from around the outpost, there are 5 or 6 outpost tunnels in the centre of the city. This would indicate that there were other outposts that the city moved to OR that they manufactured outposts inside the city, landed, fixed it to the ground and then left again.

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Turboz,

I like the way you think. True, there would be a stargate factory and I really like your thought about it staying online and producing by itself. I think it should be written that it shut down after a couple thousand years but produced thousands of stargates that have no addresses programmed into them yet. I'm not sure I agree with it being faught over and destroyed only for the fact that I've seen this in too much writing lately.

I.E. The ancient knowledge repository that O'Niell stuck his face in (again) in season 8, the ancient space gun, the ancient ship (where they were all stuck in VR land), the Goa'old mothership they stole in season six, etc. I sometimes feel like they blow up things to keep from having to deal with the story. -- However, your point about them having the data needed to build a gate/PJ/Drone would create a story line for the future. I think it would be 10-20 years before they could even begin to replicate anything.

Yea, the city only moved once but there is nothing said thus far that has suggested they didn't move around a bit before settling where they are now. As good of engineers as the story shows, I'm sure they could have plunked the city down about anywhere.

Regardless of where the writers take it, the need will remain to have more drone missiles, replacement jumpers, and likely extra gates. An on-Atlantis factory, or a off world automatic plant would be a good story line. I like when the writers think *BIG*. If matter can be converted to energy, and energy back into matter - wouldn't the ancients just have blue prints and pop out devices from a stargate type device? Maybe it would take massive amounts of energy to do so, putting limits on the story so they couldn't be produced on a whim.

Remember when Thor created the replicator bug zapper in "New Order Part 2", then retrofitted his ship. He created devices straight out of the computers memory using (I assume) just energy.

Comment

Unless of course the PJ plant is buried on Earth where Atlantis was originally. Might it have been underneath Atlantis? The writers always tend to find someway to keep Earth as a focal point anyway. Maybe somewhere down the line SG-1 and Atlantis may find something that points back to Earth.
                            All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                            Pay it forward

Comment

Thats an idea too. Although with the subsurface scanning ability of Prometheus, haven't they managed to scan the entire planet to search for hidden things by now?

I would like to see a scene someday where they haul the earth gate to the surface, open the gate from Atlantis to earth and out come 20 puddle jumpers for use on earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X