X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search results and spoilers

Hi,
    I was just doing a "Find all posts by such-and-such" and noticed for the first time that the search results page shows text that's inside spoiler tags. Might want to do something about that... maybe have all text after the spoiler tag replaced with "[Spoiler text]"?

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
    I think you're referring to the "Mouse over thread" option.
    Actually, I'm referring to something totally different, although that's also a good point

If you use the "Search Thread" option, the "Search" option in the main forum header, or the "Find all posts by user" option in the user's profile, then a search results page shows up. The page shows the thread title of the post, and the first few lines of the post.

I did a search for posts by a certain user, and saw some posts that included spoiler tags, but the search results page ignored those spoiler tags.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Interesting - maybe its a problem with the new forum software
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
        Hi,
        I was just doing a "Find all posts by such-and-such" and noticed for the first time that the search results page shows text that's inside spoiler tags. Might want to do something about that... maybe have all text after the spoiler tag replaced with "[Spoiler text]"?
        You must be referring to the Mouse-over feature. It's a new feature on the forum. Let me explain for a minute.

After you complete your search, you run your mouse cursor over the threads that come up. A little yellowish box pops up with some text in it, right? That's a mouse-over box. It gives you a run-down of the first 2 or 3 lines of text in the opening post to each thread. The Mouse-over ignores the "spoiler" tag, so anything that's a spoiler will be revealed. There's no way to really "get around" this issue. However, i've seen some posters who start their threads with spoilers insert about 4 or 5 lines at the top of their first post before using the spoiler tag to prevent the spoiler from showing up in the mouse-over box.

I ran the search like you said, and only thread titles show up, no spoiler info. The only time spoiler info comes up is in the yellowish mouse-over box.

Comment

She is not referring to the mouse over she is referring to this - http://forum.gateworld.net/search.php?searchid=140211
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

That error occurs for a variety of reasons:

Reasons that i've found:

You accidently hit the "stop" button or the "back" button in the middle of a search (in other words, you hit those two buttons while the search is still performing it's search).

Sometimes the forum has a hiccup that causes the search to come up empty.

Comment

You had an error oh well

Go here- http://forum.gateworld.net/member.php?u=3860 and click on 'Find all posts by TechnoWraith' thats what she means
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
                Actually, I'm referring to something totally different, although that's also a good point
                I've deleted my previous post ,as it wasn't really relevant to this discussion.. I'm also sending you some Green as a "well-spotted" on what you've found,and as an apology.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                  You had an error oh well

Go here- http://forum.gateworld.net/member.php?u=3860 and click on 'Find all posts by TechnoWraith' thats what she means
                  The only thing that would probably "make the spoiler tags" work in the search results would probably be some serious re-tooling of the vBulletin software. There might be hacks/add-ons available to solve the problem. However, adding such hacks/add-ons to such a large forum like this may cause more headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                    The only thing that would probably "make the spoiler tags" work in the search results would probably be some serious re-tooling of the vBulletin software.
                    Has it always been like this? Have spoilers always been shown in those kinds of searches?
                    love Torri

Comment

I wouldn't know because i don't use the search too often. and this thread is actually the first time that i know of that someone has brought the issue out in the open.

Comment

I'm sure that the search function used to parse all the vB codes...if you notice, none of the posts have smilies either, so it must be a general error with the search function's ability to properly convert these...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                        "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

People use the search feature????

Comment

Its such a shock, that they can actually be bothered to do so when wasting a thread is so much easier! such a shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              People use the search feature????

I have been known to use it on occasion...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Working...
                              X