Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleep in Stasis or held in transport beam?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep in Stasis or held in transport beam?

If you had to say live 1,000 yrs for a reason, would you prefer to be placed in Stasis,

Or stored permantly as data then rematerlized using say Asgard beaming technology?

I only ask since Auroa, they slept in Stasis.

Originally posted by Deckker
    If you had to say live 1,000 yrs for a reason, would you prefer to be placed in Stasis,

Or stored permantly as data then rematerlized using say Asgard beaming technology?

I only ask since Auroa, they slept in Stasis.
    hmm, atleast being stored as data, you will never get old, when you are rematerialised, you're the same as when you first went in.

srg
    srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Stored in a transport beam for me, i wouldnt want to live for a thousand years though
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

The main issue I have with being stored as “data” is what happens if the power fails? Over a couple thousand years anything could happen… At least in stasis you’d have a body to go back to…

Comment

Originally posted by sarge
          The main issue I have with being stored as “data” is what happens if the power fails? Over a couple thousand years anything could happen… At least in stasis you’d have a body to go back to…
          But your data can be backed up, wait you could be copied multiple time
          I wouldnt worry bout power problems thats ok, but what if the storage device thats storing ya gets damaged

Comment

How much would you age in 1,000 years, like 10 years? Hm... still a hard choice. I guess the question is how reliable is the rematerializing device?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
              I guess the question is how reliable is the rematerializing device?
              I'd trust the asgard with my life, if it where of ancient design i'd trust them with more than my life, if it were of goa'uld design i'd trust them with everyone on GW
              Thank God its only a show and i dont have to make that decision or is it just a show?!?!?!

Comment

well theres problems for both that arise

stasis: well, you still age, just slowly
                and what if something happens, could be killed

beam: power, what could last for 1000's of years?, certainly no AA batteries i tell you
                then theres the fact of data decay, what if the data is corrupted, like what was supposed to be with teal'c on 48 hours

IMO, i would choose beam, at least that way i wont age, and it will seem instantaneous

Comment

Tough call, but I think I would choose statis. I would be too concerned with all the things that could go wrong with being stored as data...degredation, power loss, destruction, who would find that data and what they would do with it, etc.

Comment

I never could be place in stasis or held in transport beam!
                    It's horrible! You in life but you don't live!

But if i had to choose I choose be placed in stasis because held in transport beam is inaccceptable! To exist only like a data!
                    "L'Homme n'est pas fait pour travailler, la preuve ça le fatigue- Voltaire"

Comment

I'd choose the transporter beam. you can have multiple redudancies, back-up systems and power back-ups. Plus, data itself doesn't really age. Just the media it's stored on ages. Although it would be weird to emerge 1,000 years later in a such a different world.

Comment

Just plase don't store me on magnetic storage. You end up being stored on some 20 year old cassette tape that they managed to find behind a sofa somewhere

srg
                        srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by Deccker

Given the time limit set in the original question (only 1,000 years) and what we know about Ancient stasis technology, I'd probably go with the sleep. If it were for a period of time more than two or three thousand years, though, being stored in some kind of pattern buffer would look a bit more attractive due to the lack of aging that would occur. I'd venture to guess that it would be like being stored “in the Gate” like Teal'c in Season Five's “48 Hours.” Carter theorized that, without the activation of the wormhole, the crystals would hold the pattern indefinitely. It would seem like an instantaneous transport... Nifty.
                          And the people shall deliver the wicked unto your divine judgment, for their sins shall be weighed in balance with all that is just and true.

“Someone's gotta speak for the Nobodies... and it might as well be me.” — Kairez Lightkeeper

Comment

I'd say beam.

You go in, and seemed instantanious you come out a thousand years later!

Comment

Sleep in stasis. Remember Weir was in there for 10,000 years so I don't think only 1,000 years would be that bad.
                              Last edited by Atlantis1; 17 October 2005, 12:20 PM.
                              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                              Individuality is freedom lived.
                              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Working...
                              X