Recommended Authors
William Shatner
Jeri Taylor
Christie Golden
Andrew Robinson
LA Graf
Diane Carey

Must-reads
The Star trek Encyclopaedia (there's several editions)
Quoteable Star Trek
The Art of Star Trek
The Klingon Dictionary (and yes...I own this one!)

There's more (I own about 100 Star Trek novels and other books) but I think I've rambled enough! :D

Qasim
October 16th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Must-reads
The Star trek Encyclopaedia (there's several editions)
Quoteable Star Trek
The Art of Star Trek
The Klingon Dictionary (and yes...I own this one!)What about The Physics of Star Trek? :D

sueKay
October 16th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I've not got that one, so I haven't read it

*glares in the direction of the local library*

Elite Anubis Guard
October 16th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Well theres too many for me to have read but I've read the "Year of Honor" series and really enjoyed that. Also, yes, Diane Carey is fantastic, I've read a number of her ST novels and others.

CeeKay Sheppard
October 16th, 2005, 05:14 PM
My favorite Star Trek books? Let's see...

The Lives of Dax

TOS:
Death Count
Ice Trap

TNG:
Q-in-Law <--Frigging hilarious!
I, Q
Q-Squared
The Q Continuum Trilogy <--Serious Q whump... Who'da thunk? :D
As you can probably tell, I love Q!

DS9:
Vengeance
Warchild <--My all-time favorite Trek book! A definite must-read!
Station Rage
The Millennium Trilogy
Trials and Tribble-ations <--Also frigging hilarious!
The Avatar novels

VGR:
Marooned!
Flashback

New Frontier:
ALL OF THEM.

Crossover series:
Invasion!
Section 31
Year of Honor
...especially the DS9 ones (Time's Enemy, Abyss, and Armageddon Sky, respectively). :D
Tha Captain's Table
...except the DS9 one (The Mists or something like that). :S

I think that just about covers it... I'll be back if (when) I think of more.

Frinky
October 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM
New Frontier:
ALL OF THEM.

YES!!! Sadly, those are the only I've read, but good recomendations, I really need to find some of those...Anyone in Aust/Sydney know a good place to look for Star Trek books, aside from Galaxy in the city?

helio9
October 17th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Wow, I dont remember many titles, but i always loved the captain's table series...very lively story telling style.

sueKay
October 17th, 2005, 01:12 AM
I've got about four New Frontier books...I've never read any of them, but I think I'll give them a try...I've heard nothing but good things :D

Has anyone read the Klingon Dictionary???

P-90_177
October 17th, 2005, 02:30 AM
I've got about four New Frontier books...I've never read any of them, but I think I'll give them a try...I've heard nothing but good things :D

Has anyone read the Klingon Dictionary???

Yeah I've got the Dictionary. It's quite funny to make up your own phrases and just say them to your friends. They look at you as if you're completely mental.

As for New Frontier, it is the best Star Trek series of books out there. The Characters are original and totaly heliereous and each have their own story to tell. The Captain, Mackenzie Calhoun is really cool as well. It also gives you a chance to hear about characters who have been in TNG before like Commander Shelby and Ensign Leffler. Personally I've read them all and I especially like the later ones such as 'Being Human' and 'Gods Above'.

In my opinion they should make New Frontier into an actual series, even if it was only a mini-series which only spanned the books, the characters are so larger then life.

warmbeachbrat
October 17th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I haven't read any Trek related books in quite some time. My favorite one is Ishmael by Barbara Hambly--an original series book that is a crossover between Star Trek and (improbably) Here Come the Brides. Sounds corny, but it is really quite good. The two series are combined in a very interesting fashion to make a compelling and layered story involving time travel, loss, klingons, alienation, acceptance, and reconciliation. I can't recommend it enough.

As far as nonfiction goes, I really enjoyed The The Trouble with Tribbles, and The World of Star Trek, both by David Gerrold. They are fascinating behind-the-scenes accounts of tv show making and Star Trek. Well worth the read, if you can find them.

Smegger56
October 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
I've only ever been able to get into the Shatner books, which are excellently written, with collaboration from Juddith and Garfield Reeve Stevens. These book capture the essence of Star Trek like no other, and are linked in the Star Trek universe (tho not officially) and follow the new adventures of Captain kirk. He's done 3 trilogies:

Trilogy 1: Linked, but have own stories.
Ashes of Eden (set 6 months before Star Trek: Generations -
Enterprise-B launch).
The Return (Kirk is revived by... haha, read the book)
Avenger (an interstella virus breaks out)

Trilogy 2: The Mirror trilogy
(Continues from previos)
Spectre
Dark Victory
Preserver

Trilogy 3 - The captains trilogy
Captains Peril (own story, but also sets up the next two books
wonderfully)
Captains Blood (Intense, and very cloak and dagger sort of thing -
follows the after events after Nemesis... Remens and Romulans)
Captains ? (not sure what this one will be called.

Read them all. They're great books, and i feel Shatner should be the new producer of Star Trek. Once you read these books, you'll know why... and Judith and Garfield Reeve Stevens should be with him.

DigiFluid
October 22nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
I really enjoyed Shatner's The Return, even if the story has been effectively made null by First Contact.

CatGoddess
October 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
I haven't bought a Star Trek book in years. I found that the plots were, by and large, falling into a pattern: Enterprise beams down away team/landing party, Enterprise is called away on another mission, away team gets in trouble (and can't just beam out because Enterprise isn't around), Enterprise gets in trouble, away team resolves its problem, crew aboard Enterprise resolves its problem, away team and Enterprise are reunited. (If there are recent books that don't follow that pattern, I'm open to recommendations.)

So it should come as no surprise that my favorites are older books. My Enemy, My Ally, The Romulan Way, Uhura's Song, and Time for Yesterday are among my favorites.

warmbeachbrat, I've read Ishmael - very good book.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 23rd, 2005, 04:44 AM
I really enjoyed Shatner's The Return, even if the story has been effectively made null by First Contact.
What was it about? Never read it.

sueKay
October 23rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
May I just say...while his singing leaves a lot to be desired...William Shatner's an amazing writer.

Smegger56
October 24th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Amen to that... Shatner rules

skritsys
October 24th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Until you meet him at a con and hear him talking about horses, then you start to wonder....

dosed150
October 29th, 2005, 03:13 AM
yeh the shattner novels are pretty good shame some of the mirror trilogy like spocks theory whgere sidelined by enterprise through a mirror darkly ive only read the first invasion novel i quite liked it the books where they must ally with their enemies to fight another worse enemy are usually good avatar part 1 and 2 where a good introduction to post series ds9 novels

aaobuttons
October 29th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Well, if you're interested in Riker and Troi, a must have is Imzadi by Peter David. It has all the good details on their past.

Jonas
October 30th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I really liked Shatner's The Ashes of Eden. I was always hoping that they would turn in into a movie or tv movie as it was a good last romp for the original cast and set up the beginning of Star Trek: Generations. Sadly, this can never be made into a movie now with the passing of DeForest Kelly and James Doohan.

Kilharae
November 6th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but I absolutely loved Deep space Nine: Avatar, and the sequal to that book. It introduced an intensely interesting gem hadar character onto the bridge of deep space nine. A very, very good book. I read both of them in a single night. Amazingly amazing, I personally like it more than a stitch in time.

Skydiver
November 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM
ilike the peter david new frontier ones

the excalibur crew were really good and...well maybe if they'd been explored instead of the grew we got for Enterprise, it wouldn't have tanked so badly

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I personally like the reference books

Yay, 1,500 posts (300 and I have a custom avatar).

CeeKay Sheppard
November 6th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but I absolutely loved Deep space Nine: Avatar, and the sequal to that book. It introduced an intensely interesting gem hadar character onto the bridge of deep space nine. A very, very good book. I read both of them in a single night. Amazingly amazing, I personally like it more than a stitch in time.

Oh, jeez, I forgot about those!! I loved the Avatar books! That scene where Khitana'klan (sp?) attacks Julian or more accurately, when Ezri finds him afterward is one of my favorites from any ST novel. *goes to add to list*

warmbeachbrat
November 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM
I personally like the reference books

Which reference books do you mean?

Brigadier General Pants
November 6th, 2005, 10:48 PM
OK I admit I am jumping into an established thread with a dumb question, but what is the name of the first book in the Deep Space Nine relaunch series?

dosed150
November 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM
it was avatar part 1, then avatar part 2, then section 31 abyss all great books

skritsys
November 7th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Anything by Peter David is good.

Jonas
November 7th, 2005, 07:57 PM
The Deep Space Nine "season 8" /relaunch books were very good. Has anyone read the Voyager ones and are they any good?