Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'How William Shatner Changed the World' To Explore Star Trek Innovation

http://www.trektoday.com/news/151005_02.shtml

A new documentary on Star Trek and the development of technology, How William Shatner Changed the World, premieres next month.

Channel Canada reported on Discovery Channel's documentary, which explores how cell phones evolved to look like communicators and other curiosities of modern life. "You’ve got a cell phone at one ear, an iPod at the other, you know that Blackberry is now a verb and Spam is not only canned meat of questionable origin," noted the article. "Blame William Shatner."

Based on the Captain Kirk actor's book I'm Working on That, the Shatner-hosted documentary covers scientists and inventors who were inspired by Star Trek. For instance, fan Mark Rayman, who watched both Star Trek and the Mercury launches, grew up to become chief engineer on the Robotic Deep Space Probe project at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Shatner also credits Marty Cooper, an engineer at Motorola who helped invent the first mobile cellular phone based on Star Trek's communicators. Others interviewed include space scientists, computer programmers and a brain surgeon who removes tumors with a laser knife, as well as Shatner's co-stars George Takei (Sulu) and Nichelle Nichols (Uhura).

The documentary is scheduled to premiere on Sunday, November 13th on theDiscovery Channel. More information is available at Channel Canada.
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Has anyone heard of some guy named Gene Roddenberry? I feel there's a slight chance he had more to do with the technology in Star Trek than some has-been hack actor like William Shatner. I havn't seen this doc, but hopefully Shatner will pay homage to Roddenberry and give credit where it's due, all Shatner ever did is read lines, and poorly at that....
    -GuyFromOH
    I'm a guy, from Ohio.
    ------------------------------------
    Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
    Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
    cool!"

Comment

Working...
    X