Polar Lights' Klingon D-7 in the works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polar Lights' Klingon D-7 in the works

Hey, folks! Just wanted to show you what I've been up to. I realize not a lot of people here are into Star Trek modeling like I am but I just thought I'd share.

This is the Klingon D-7 by Polar Lights. I've been trying to attack the seams with a passion. There's still some red left over from the putty which is, I guess normal.

This one is where the pylon meets the hull. There was a significant gap there so I puttied it twice and when that was smooth, I applied the semi-thick (not too liquid) Testors' glue from the black hypo tube and applied it to the seam and spread it like butter. I let that dry for a day or so and then sanded it smooth. The fingernail test proves that there's no seam left.

The other side

This is where I've run into trouble in the past. It's the ribbed part that goes on the aft end of the underside of the boom. When I tried gluing it in the past, some glue oozed out of the seam and I found it hard to get it smooth and clean it up. I took a dab or putty on the end of my pointed putty spatula and applied it to the seam. I then took my finger and smeared it across the seam. It took some doing but I managed to get a decent seamless seam there.

Hopefully, this'll show that I puttied the inside of the torpedo tube and sanded it smooth with a tightly coiled band of sandpaper and sanded it smooth not unlike how someone might clean their ears with a q-tip. There is a visible line going along the seam of the boom but I can assure you there's no seam there and it's perfectly.

Cool - whats the fingernail test?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Oh, sorry.

That's when your run your fingernail as if you're lightly scratching to see if there's any imperfections or a seam.

Comment

So how much does it cost to make a model?
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Well, the model itself, of course which the 1/1000 scale kits by Polar lights are about $10 a pop. The glue, other essential tools like clamps, sandpaper and a good exacto knife will probably run you about another $15-$20. Not to mention the cost of patience and the hours spent making it look good or at least presentable.

Of course, there's no such thing as a unitasker in a modeler's toolbox. You can use clothespins in lieu of clamps. Glue that's appropriate for joining polystyrene parts is a must. Elmers won't cut it. Super glue will work but it's not really appropriate for this kind of work.

You know, since you've been so nice to me, I'd be willing to send you a model of the Klingon ship or a TOS Enterprise if you seriously thinking about tackling a model!

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
            Super glue will work but it's not really appropriate for this kind of work.

You know, since you've been so nice to me, I'd be willing to send you a model of the Klingon ship or a TOS Enterprise if you seriously thinking about tackling a model!
            Why isnt it appropriate?

I am way too busy to do modelling - maybe next summer I will have a pop at it
            love Torri

Comment

Well, super glue can be tricky and it's best for dealing with things called pinholes and bubbles in resin models or for joining resin parts. The model glue is perfect for this kind of work because it's chemically formulated to bond polystyrene parts. Super glue is also a pain in the butt to sand smooth when it's completely dry.

What this glue does is melts the plastic to a certain degree and when you apply the other part, it forms a bond via surface tension. The chemical reaction will take place fusing the two parts together.

Comment

So whats your next project going to be?
                love Torri

Comment

The 1/1000 NX-01 or the 1/350 refit Enterprise

Comment

Here's the whole thing in case anyone is interested:

I'm calling it the I.K.S. Mephistopheles.

Comment

Working...
                    X