Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The second half of Stargate Atlantis's series premiere failed to draw as many viewers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The second half of Stargate Atlantis's series premiere failed to draw as many viewers

//The second half of Stargate Atlantis's series premiere failed to draw as many viewers in the show's second week in U.S. syndication. "Rising, Part 2" earned a 1.5 average household rating the week of September 26, down 12 percent from the 1.7 earned by Part 1//

There seems to be something about reporting ratings on this site that makes the news 'writer' always want to put in 'fail' with regard to ratings.

But anyway, I know that in my market, I tuned in for part 2 of "Rising" and got "part 1" instead - two weeks in a row. If other markets (and I'm in a major market) did the same thing, yeah, that might skew the ratings.

Is this bad for the future of SGA????
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by prion
      //But anyway, I know that in my market, I tuned in for part 2 of "Rising" and got "part 1" instead - two weeks in a row. If other markets (and I'm in a major market) did the same thing, yeah, that might skew the ratings.
      Different syndicated shows have different ways they get distributed. It's typical for shows to repeat episodes. If you saw a repeat of part 1 in the 2nd week, it's likely Atlantis is on a schedule where the repeat episode runs a week later. If so, that repeat episode gets added to the first telecast a week before for the "ratings sake".

It's confusing, but it's all designed to measure the delivery of the commercials.
      If you notice the 1st telecast and the repeat have exactly the same national commercials in exactly the same pod position. Only locally placed commercials (1/2 of the total) are different.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        There seems to be something about reporting ratings on this site that makes the news 'writer' always want to put in 'fail' with regard to ratings.
        I calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

The word "fail" doesn't have to be emotionally charged, unless the reader brings that to the story. "I failed to fill my gas tank before prices at the pump went over $3.00." That's a statement of fact, not a judgment on how good a person / driver / gas purchaser I am.

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld
          I calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

The word "fail" doesn't have to be emotionally charged, unless the reader brings that to the story. "I failed to fill my gas tank before prices at the pump went over $3.00." That's a statement of fact, not a judgment on how good a person / driver / gas purchaser I am.

Darren
          Well..... still remember the 'fail to impress' stuff on one set of ratings, so I think yes, the word fail can be emotionally charged, by both the reader AND the writer. I've read several descriptions of the ratings in question, and fail is only used here. But then trade papers don't use 'fail' unless a movie tanks

Comment

I think that Atlantis was put into syndication waaaay too fast. It hadn't had a chance to really build an extended following on the Sci-fi channel yet. It disturbs me that who ever is making these decisions is trying to go for the percieved 'fast buck' instead of letting the show and their followers get locked in a bit more.

I'm not sure who's running the whole shebang now, but they've got some really damaging ideas and practices going on with the Sci-Fi Channel and the Stargate franchise as well. If they're not careful, they are going to run the franchise and the channel into the ground.
            "You cannot reason with your own heart;
            it has it's own laws and beats about things
            which the intellect scorns."
            - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
              I think that Atlantis was put into syndication waaaay too fast. It hadn't had a chance to really build an extended following on the Sci-fi channel yet. It disturbs me that who ever is making these decisions is trying to go for the percieved 'fast buck' instead of letting the show and their followers get locked in a bit more.
              I don't know about that. It appears to be similar to when Stargate was on Showtime and they took it to syndication.

The other factor they have to consider is the erosion in syndication ratings every year as viewers switch from broadcast to cable. It may actually be easier to get decent ratings now than it would be in a few years.

There's also the threat of DVD's. If someone really wants to see reruns of a show, they can buy or rent them rather than wait until syndication.

Comment

Originally posted by Sela

I'm not sure who's running the whole shebang now, but they've got some really damaging ideas and practices going on with the Sci-Fi Channel and the Stargate franchise as well. If they're not careful, they are going to run the franchise and the channel into the ground.
                The people in charge at scifi are not the brightest bulbs...think of "Scare Tactics," for one thing.

However, I'm glad they put SGA into syndication as the stations that air it in syndication have treated the show better than SciFi. No more shrunken credits, no cutting back from commercials so fast you get whiplash. However, if I see one more ad for Swedish beds.... the bed manufacturers seem to have cornered the market on ads in my area.

Comment

Working...
                X