This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate SG-1: Season 1 DVD Question

I haven't a clue if there any mention of this elsewhere ... I searched this section and didn't find a thread regarding it so I figured I'd start a new thread to ask ...

I bought Stargate SG-1, the first season, on DVD at Sam's Club about a month ago. It was only $28 and since it sells for $40 elsewhere I thought I was getting a bargain. The quality of the DVDs, the entire box set except maybe four episodes, SUCKS! I'm watching MacGyver via NetFlix and the quality of those DVDs are better. I've emailed MGM regarding this and haven't heard from them. I've asked other Stargate fans I know, who have the 1st season on DVD, if their box set is of such poor quality and got no answer ...

PLEASE! Tell me! Is this the quality I should expect from the rest of the seasons? Audio so bad that you can't hear the dialogue, a picture so grainy you aren't sure if your glasses are on or off ... I am going through severe Stargate withdrawal and want Season 2 so bad but I want to know what I should expect quality wise too! I don't want to end up with crappy DVDs that cost me $40 and a studio that ignores me when I complain about the bad quality!

Please get back to me,
    Adrianne
    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
    It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

If it's that bad -- audio and video that makes the show unwatchable -- you may have gotten a defective set. I'd suggest taking it back to the store and exchanging it for another copy.

If the second copy is just as bad, you may have a problem with your player.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
      If it's that bad -- audio and video that makes the show unwatchable -- you may have gotten a defective set. I'd suggest taking it back to the store and exchanging it for another copy.

If the second copy is just as bad, you may have a problem with your player.
      Will Sam's Club take it back, you think???

Adrianne
      If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

If you tell them it's defective, I'm sure they would.

We shop at Costco, which takes back anything for any reason. I could tell 'em I'm done burning all the episodes to my own discs and rubbing it on my butt, and they'd take it back.

Comment

That's unusual for an entire box set to go bad like that, but it can happen I guess. Have you tried on another DVD player? I would do that first before anything. Usually bad audio, or skips or pauses in video is more dependent on the player than anything. Bad dvds ususally more so stop the player from reading.

G' Luck.
          Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

Originally posted by Kensterman
            That's unusual for an entire box set to go bad like that, but it can happen I guess. Have you tried on another DVD player? I would do that first before anything. Usually bad audio, or skips or pauses in video is more dependent on the player than anything. Bad dvds ususally more so stop the player from reading.

G' Luck.
            I haven't had a problem with any other DVDs. I'm watch MacGyver as well without problem. I'm dumbfounded how one is fine and the other not ...

I haven't tried another player because I only have one ... I thought of asking my brother but ... haven't. I want to play it on my computer and see if the quality is any better but ... haven't. But if it IS the player(!) that totally sucks! It's practically brand new, only, like, a few year old and what would that mean ... That I have to buy a new DVD player to feed my Stargate obsession!?

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

might be an import/pirate copy.
              also could be ripped files burned onto discs with disc-art stamped onto it.

you may have been "had"

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                might be an import/pirate copy.
                also could be ripped files burned onto discs with disc-art stamped onto it.

you may have been "had"
                AT SAM'S CLUB?!
                Man! I was totally wondering about that too!

This is me not happy

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

I'm in the process of watching "Children of the Gods" on my computer and the video is no better, in fact it looks worse, and the audio isn't any clearer. I'm going to call Sam's Club tomorrow and see if they'll take this gawd awful DVD boxset back.

BUT! Because this DVD boxset is so gawd awful it was reaffirmed my suspicion that Sam's Club's done me wrong and it's not my DVD player at all so I have every intention of getting the 1st and 2nd season as soon as money has come available for me to purchase them ... through Amazon.com.

That's my update. Now back to the show!

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Amazon.com is where I ordered all of my seasons of SG-1 from. And I now have them all. Great sound and quality here. Going with them should be a wise decision. Sucks that you got a defective set, though.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                      Amazon.com is where I ordered all of my seasons of SG-1 from. And I now have them all. Great sound and quality here. Going with them should be a wise decision. Sucks that you got a defective set, though.
                      You know what I was thinking?
                      "Gosh, I'll be saving money!"
                      Yeah, saved money. Ha!

I'm definitely going through Amazon and I see that Gateworld gets money if I link through here so Gateworld will be getting some mula as well!

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, would you mind taking a screenshot of this bad video on the computer and posting it so we can see what's wrong with it?
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                          Just out of curiosity, would you mind taking a screenshot of this bad video on the computer and posting it so we can see what's wrong with it?
                          I can't
                          I returned it so I no longer have it. And I don't know how to take screen shots either though that was a great suggestion because I was wondering if it was just me and I'm picky or the quality was really bad -- but everyone that has seen the DVD has said, "OMG That's bad! Is it suppose to look like that!?" So I really have no idea because it was my 1st Stargate box set But I own the movie and I watched the movie and the movie seemed fine. And I'm watching MacGyver and that's been perfect!

But I don't have it anymore so I don't have to worry ... Until I order Season 1 etc. through Amazon.com.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Did you watch the same episode on another DVD player? If you've been watching via your computer's DVD-ROM drive, and it happened with two boxed sets, I wonder if it could be a hardware or software issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                              Did you watch the same episode on another DVD player? If you've been watching via your computer's DVD-ROM drive, and it happened with two boxed sets, I wonder if it could be a hardware or software issue.
                              I watched "Children of the Gods" on my computer ... I watched the entire box set on my living room DVD player. I only owned the 1st season so I only had one box set to watch. It was the entire box set, except one or two episodes, that was defective. I asked my mom, while watching "Children of the Gods" on my computer, if she would come in and tell me if the quality was better or worse and she told me, "I don't have to, I can hear it is from here. The music is stlll louder than the dialogue.", which was our original complaint with audio. You also couldn't hear whispers or background noises so, like, if someone was yelling for someone's help off camera, you had absolutely no idea why the person leaving camera looked so rushed.

Story: I had just finished watching one of the DVDs in the box set and had started another ... But the Monday Marathon was on so I watched that instead ... which included all the episodes I just watched on the DVD. I was amazed and shocked at all I missed dialogue wise. Totally and completely floored. The picture was better in the syndicate, the audio was better. I wanted to cry thinking I paid $30 for a DVD box set and the syndicate was of better quality.

Story2: I did not enjoy "Children of the Gods" the first time seeing it ... I absolutely loved it the second time.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Working...
                              X