PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis Novels?

Elite Anubis Guard
October 12th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Well it seems only the first is gonna be a novelization, the rest will be originals:

Hi - apart from the first one, the Atlantis novels will be original stories.
Best regards,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 26 August 2005 09:56
To: [email protected]
Subject: Atlantis Novels

Hi, I noticed Amazon has started taking pre-orders for SG Atlantis 1: The
Rising. I was wondering if all your atlantis series where going to be
novelizations of episodes and if you are going to do novelization of SG1
episodes.

Thanks
Elite Anubis Guard (EAG)-Aaron Percival
http://www.stargatelegacywriter.blogspot.com
http://stargatedestiny.proboards55.com/index.cgi

Albion
October 13th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Although I've given up on Atlantis and wasn't that keen on Rising, I might actually buy this one, since it's written by Sally Malcolm. And at 240 pages, it looks as though it might be a cut above your usual 'bare bones' episode novelisation. With Sally at the helm, I'm anticipating that it's chockful of character insights and introspection in among the basic rendering of the plot.

Albion :)

Elite Anubis Guard
October 13th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I wonder how closely it will be to the finished episode or if it will have scenes and sections that TPTB never got chance to put into the pilot.

Atlantis1
October 19th, 2005, 04:14 PM
The 7th issue of the Stargate official magazine says the first book will be the novelization of the Rising. They gave the provisional titles of the next two (which will be original stories) as The Chosen and Reliquary.

We in the US have to wait to buy the book unless you want to pre-order from Amazon UK which will cost more. I plan to wait untill they come here.

*Hopes those in the UK who buy the book will give we other people an idea of what they are like.* :)

Elite Anubis Guard
October 19th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Don't bother waiting, just get them from Ebay.

Yowza
October 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM
The 7th issue of the Stargate official magazine says the first book will be the novelization of the Rising. They gave the provisional titles of the next two (which will be original stories) as The Chosen and Reliquary.

We in the US have to wait to buy the book unless you want to pre-order from Amazon UK which will cost more. I plan to wait untill they come here.

*Hopes those in the UK who buy the book will give we other people an idea of what they are like.* :)

Sorry, I mostly just lurk, but I got that issue and I can't find anything about Atlatnis books. What page is it on? When are they being sold?

I got the other books, the ones from the UK I mean, in the US through amazon.com. I did a search in the books section of amazon and just typed stargate and they came up okay.

Yowza

prion
October 31st, 2005, 04:31 PM
Sorry, I mostly just lurk, but I got that issue and I can't find anything about Atlatnis books. What page is it on? When are they being sold?

I got the other books, the ones from the UK I mean, in the US through amazon.com. I did a search in the books section of amazon and just typed stargate and they came up okay.

Yowza

The guy who runs the book site (Tom) says that the SGA books will have a NOrth American distributor as nobody has the rights over here (unlike like the SG1 books) so I think w'ell probably be able to get it at Borders or Amazon.com.

Meanwhile, there is a 'fiction' section in the middle of the 7th issue of the SG magazine. I don't consider these novelizations to be canon (in fact, as far as I know, no television novelization is canon - it's only what you see ON the TV screen that is considered canon) as in reading the stuff with Sheppard, a little bit of it felt off kilter from what was presented on the screen, but I'm interested in the novels and if they're good and not overpriced, I'll buy 'em.

Atlantis1
October 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM

Yowza

The article is on page 60.

xfkirsten
October 31st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Hooray!! I'm excited for these! Is there any timeline as to when the original novels will begin appearing?

Atlantis1
October 31st, 2005, 05:05 PM
Hooray!! I'm excited for these! Is there any timeline as to when the original novels will begin appearing?

Not that I could find. I only know the UK get Rising on Dec 15th and the date for the US is unknown.

the fifth man
October 31st, 2005, 08:24 PM
I can't wait for those original stories. I know it will probably be a long wait since I'm in the US, but it'll be worth it.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM
Usually four every year so I'm betting it'll go AT, SG1, AT, SG1...so I'd expect the first original AT one sometime...october...next year.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 1st, 2005, 01:05 PM
GW posted a little tidbit about the next 2 atlantis novels coming out - after Rising that is.

"Rising" will be followed by two original Atlantis stories, written by sci-fi authors Martha Wells ("The Wizard Hunters," "The Gate of Gods," "Wheel of the Infinite") and James Swallow ("Star Trek: Voyager," "Judge Dredd"). The preliminary titles for the books are "The Chosen" and "Reliquary."

"We're encouraging our writers to be as up to date as possible with Stargate Atlantis, given that it's a new show and everything is developing," Malcolm said. "Of course, the timescales mean that the books are written way before publication, so they will always be six months to a year behind the show. That can't really be helped, but we're encouraging our authors who are coming back at the end of next year to write more to focus on Season Two. But the first couple of books will be set in Season One."

The Chosen seems like it'll be really character focused, my guess is McKay or Sheppard and Reliquary will probably have something to do with technology.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 1st, 2005, 01:07 PM
Here is a small image of the cover: http://www.gateworld.net/news/graphics/novel_rising.jpg

The SG1 covers are better IMHO.

xfkirsten
November 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
Yeesh... that is a pretty sad cover compared to some of the SG1 covers.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 19th, 2005, 07:43 AM
OK have found more info on these, including authors and release dates:

Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary
Martha Wells
February 15, 2006
The team find an outpost of the Ancients and an alien who claims to be a member of this lost race. Using mind control technology, the alien forces the team to take him back to Atlantis where he immediately tries to take over the city in revenge for being wronged by the Ancients. With the Stargate Atlantis team succumbing to the effects of a virus, Major Shepherd must fight against madness long enough to rescue the city from the alien.

Stargate Atlantis: the Chosen
Sonny Whitelaw, Beth Christensen
April 13, 2006
The Stargate Atlantis team encounter a society where high priests of the local cult are able to protect the society from attacks by the Wraith using technology left behind by the Ancients. However, the genetic ability to use these weapons has faded over successive generations, leaving the people increasingly vulnerable to attack. With the Wraith growing ever bolder, the team must balance the need to protect the people against the Wraith and to free them from the dominance of their high priests.

Blue Banrigh
November 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM
The Chosen sounds interesting, if a little bit similiar in concept to the Tower.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 19th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I thought that also...haven't actually seen the episode but have read spoilers. isn't it about them wanting sheppard to get it on with the local girl to make more babies with the gene is use some technology

Elite Anubis Guard
November 25th, 2005, 01:51 AM
More information on Rising has been released:

Following the discovery of an Ancient outpost buried deep in the Antarctic ice sheet, Stargate Command sends a new team of explorers through the Stargate to the distant Pegasus galaxy.

Emerging in an abandoned Ancient city, the team quickly confirms that they have found the Lost City of Atlantis. But, submerged beneath the sea on an alien planet, the city is in danger of catastrophic flooding unless it is raised to the surface. Things go from bad to worse when the team must confront a new enemy known as the Wraith who are bent on destroying Atlantis.

Stargate Atlantis is the exciting new spin-off of the hit TV show, Stargate SG-1. Based on the script of the pilot episode, Rising is a must-read for all fans and includes deleted scenes and dialog not seen on TV – with photos from the pilot episode.

And also a larger...but not too good a quality coverart:
http://www.stargatenovels.com/images/rising-368x600.jpg

I think I'm gonna enjoy this and I can't wait to find out what the deleted scenes where. Also, I'm not liking the cover.

musicmuggle
November 25th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I never knew there were any atlantis novels....that is sweet. :D

prion
December 4th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Reposted today from SPOILME:

We've just updated www.stargatenovels.com with some new information
about the Stargate novels including:
- new Stargate Atlantis novel, Rising, is out next week
- 20% discount on all books (includes SG-1 and Atlantis novels)
- Atlantis novels are available in North America (sorry, SG-1 novels
still aren't because of contractual restrictions).
- deadlines for ordering to ensure books are received by Christmas.
- new forward publishing schedule has been created which lists
forthcoming SG-1 and Atlantis books (www.stargatenovels.com/books.shtml).

Best regards,
Tom
Stargate Novels
http://www.stargatenovels.com

NearlyCircular
December 4th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Here's an email I got today with all the details that prion just mentioned. As you can see in the part I highlighted, the Atlantis book will include deleted scenes, etc. from the pilot. :)

Dear Stargate fan,

Well, it's been a while since we last contacted you, but there's a reason -
we've been busy organizing our new Stargate: Atlantis books.

We're very excited about working with this new show - it really is an
excellent spin-off of Stargate: SG-1, and our writers are certainly enjoying
working with the new characters and situations.

Now, a couple of announcements:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
STARGATE ATLANTIS: RISING - 9 DECEMBER 2005
The first Stargate: Atlantis novel is due out in a matter of days, and best
of all, it's available world-wide (good news for the fans in the USA and
Canada). The book is called "Stargate Atlantis: Rising" and is a
novelization of the pilot episode. Based on the original shooting script, it
is more than just a transcript of the episode - it includes scenes and
dialog that were scripted but never made it into the final cut as well as
insights into the characters' thoughts and feelings. We've also included a
set of high-quality photos from the pilot.www.stargatenovels.com/rising.shtml

"Rising" is available to order now directly from our website -->
www.stargatenovels.com/bookshop.php and click on the order link. It's also
available from Amazon.co.uk, and it's listed on Amazom.com (but we can't
vouch for its availability in North America, especially before Christmas).

Details for Rising are:
Title: Stargate Atlantis: Rising
Author: Sally Malcolm (wrote A Matter of Honor and The Cost of Honor)
ISBN: 09547343-5-1
Price: £6.99
Publication date: 9 December 2005 (brought forward from 15 December)

STARGATE ATLANTIS: RELIQUARY
The novelization of "Rising" will be followed by the second Stargate
Atlantis book in February 2006. Entitled "Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary" and
written by Martha Wells, the story follows the team as they explore an
Ancient repository of knowledge.
www.stargatenovels.com/books.shtml for updates and info on other titles.

CHRISTMAS SHIPPING
If you order from www.stargatenovels.com and want your books to reach you
before Christmas, please ensure you place your order before these dates*
UK and Channel Islands: 20 December
Australia/New Zealand: 9 December
USA/Canada: 12 December**
Western Europe: 14 December
Rest of Europe: 12 December
* Dates taken from Royal Mail website -
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=500185&mediaId=22700520
** Please note: Stargate SG-1 novels are still not available in North
America due to licensing restrictions.

20 PERCENT DISCOUNT ON ALL TITLES ORDERED FROM OUR SITE
In celebration of launching the new series, we are giving a 20% discount on
all the books (includes all Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis titles)
ordered through our website until 31 March 2006. That takes a significant
bite out of the cost of postage, and in fact, for UK orders, virtually
offsets the cost of postage and packing altogether.
http://www.stargatenovels.com/bookshop.php

OTHER STUFF
* Thanks to the volume of orders we have been receiving through our site, we
have been able to reduce our postage and packing prices and we are passing
on these savings to our customers. (Okay, it's not a huge amount, but you
may notice a small difference.)

* We have added a forward publishing plan to give you a glimpse of the books
to come, together with an estimated publication date for each. Have a look
at www.stargatenovels.com/books.shtml.

I think that just about wraps it up for now.

Very best regards,
Tom
Stargate Novels
www.stargatenovels.com
tom[at]stargatenovels.com

Sent to you by:
Fandemonium Ltd
PO Box 795A
Surbiton
Surrey KT5 8SP
United Kingdom

NC

Elite Anubis Guard
December 4th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Yuhuh I also got that e-mail. Cool, can't wait.

Elite Anubis Guard
December 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Reckon someone should start a new thread for Rising?