X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 Gemini Award Nominations

http://www.geminiawards.ca/gemini20/main.cfm

2005 Gemini Award Nominations Have Been Announced and here are the categories and nominees for Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis. So far none of the actors from either series has garnered an nomination this year.

Best Writing in a Dramatic Series
    Martin Gero
    Stargate Atlantis
    The Brotherhood

Best Achievement in Make-Up
    Leah Ehman, Todd Masters
    Stargate Atlantis
    Before I Sleep

Best Visual Effects
    Michelle Comens, Mark Breakspear, Dan Mayer, Bruce Woloshyn
    Stargate Atlantis
    The Eye

Michelle Comens, Tom Brydon, José Burgos, John Gajdecki, Dan Mayer, Jinnie Pak, Wes Sargent, Bruce Woloshyn
    Stargate Atlantis: Rising

Michelle Comens, Krista McLean, James Rorick, Craig Van Den Biggelaar
    Stargate SG-1
    New Order Pt 2

James Tichenor, Shannon Gurney, Krista McLean, Craig Van Den Biggelaar
    Stargate SG-1
    Lost City Pt 2
    ______
    Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Thanks for posting the info.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yes although I would have, if i had, had internet aceess for the last part of the week as the news on the homepage says S.G.C yay i finally am on the homepage !!!

Comment

Originally posted by GateAngel
        2005 Gemini Award Nominations Have Been Announced and here are the categories and nominees for Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis. So far none of the actors from either series has garnered an nomination this year.

Excuse my ignorance, please.

Gemini Awards is Canada, right? Stargate is an American production, no? Why is it getting a Canadian award nomination? The XFiles was produced in Canada and I can't remember it ever getting a nomination -- did it?

Adrianne
        If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
        It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Isn't the show developed in Canada, let's just hope that Lost isn't up for anything.

Comment

Whilst the money comes from an American company, the production itself is very much Canadian, with high numbers of Canadian cast and crew...

Of the main cast members of Atlantis, only Joe Flanigan and Jason Momoa are American; Torri Higginson and Rainbow Sun Francks are born and bred Canadian, whilst David Hewlett and Paul McGillion (both born British - England and Scotland respectively) and Rachel Luttrell (born Tanzanian) are all Canadian by immigration process.

On SG1, RDA is American as are Ben Browder and Chris Judge. Amanda Tapping is Canadian by immigration. Michael Shanks is Canadian by birth.

I do believe they get certain tax benefits from using local talent, as opposed to importing US actors...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
            "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
              Whilst the money comes from an American company, the production itself is very much Canadian, with high numbers of Canadian cast and crew...

I do believe they get certain tax benefits from using local talent, as opposed to importing US actors...
              Well yeah but I didn't realize that got them a Gemini Nod ... The production company is Canadian?

Lost is not produced in Canada and, as far as I know, the only character/actress to come from Canada is Kate. It's my understanding, and apparently I'm wrong, that Lost could only be nominated in the International catagory ... Since it's not produced in Canada.

I don't follow Canadian news anymore ... Is Canadian production of TV shows low and they have to nominate American shows produced in Canada to fill the void????

Adrianne
              If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP
                Well yeah but I didn't realize that got them a Gemini Nod ... The production company is Canadian?

Lost is not produced in Canada and, as far as I know, the only character/actress to come from Canada is Kate. It's my understanding, and apparently I'm wrong, that Lost could only be nominated in the International catagory ... Since it's not produced in Canada.

I don't follow Canadian news anymore ... Is Canadian production of TV shows low and they have to nominate American shows produced in Canada to fill the void????

Adrianne
                I'm going to be honest...as long as a show is good, does it actually matter which country the company who paid for it to be made comes from...?

And whether SonyMGM and SciFi are American is beside the point. The people who work on SG every day are mainly Canadian...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

I'm going to be honest...as long as a show is good, does it actually matter which country the company who paid for it to be made comes from...?
                  ... :: Mumble :: Well ... It does to me. Especially when it's being nominated for a Canadian award and it's not a Canadian show. I mean, it's great that it's getting the nods. Kudos to Stargate. But it's not a Canadian show so why is it getting the nod?

And whether SonyMGM and SciFi are American is beside the point. The people who work on SG every day are mainly Canadian...
                  But that alone doesn't make a show Canadian. A LOT of shows are produced in Canada with Canadian talent ... It doesn't make it a Canadian show.

Unless Stargate is a Canadian production and I just don't know it ...

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Well people have different views of what makes something what it is...

This world has enough dividing issues...and I have to say, this really isn't one that ranks highly on my list.

Comment

Well people have different views of what makes something what it is...

This world has enough dividing issues...and I have to say, this really isn't one that ranks highly on my list.
                      I respect that.
                      So stop replying.

Any mods out there that would know the answer(s) to my question(s)?

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

I'm not up on all the rules and regs, and they are very complicated.

i THINK that sg1 is considered an american production because the owners of the show (mgm) are american, which means that the show is an american production made in canada.

I do know that there are specific rules for shows that are made in canada. they have to have a certain percentage of the cast and crew to be canadian citizens

basically, canada lets us productions come up and make shows. the american companies get to take advantage of the exchange rate adn get more bang for thier buck. canadians get employed and the economy benefits

maybe your question is better suited for the Ask Joe thread. since he's involved in the production, he might be able to answer your questions better than we can
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          maybe your question is better suited for the Ask Joe thread. since he's involved in the production, he might be able to answer your questions better than we can
                          Thank you!

Who's Joe?

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

*has a vision of shipping Joe over to Canada in a crate...*

According to the Gemini Award rules, a show is eligible if it:

"i) qualifies as a Canadian television production under CRTC, CAVCO;
                            ii) has had its first Canadian commercial release in English within the Qualifying Period on an English-language or ethnic telecaster licensed by the CRTC.
                            iii) is not a rerun;
                            iv) has not been previously entered in either the Gemini or Genie Awards. Programs previously entered for the Prix Gémeaux are eligible, subject to meeting all other Gemini Eligibility Criteria;
                            v) is not a re-edited version of previously entered material."

So it all comes down to the CRTC and CAVCO organizations and how they designate a Canadian show. No idea how they do that though.

I'm curious why BSG didn't get any nominations, since I thought it was an American/Canadian production like the Stargates. Did they not enter, were they not eligible for some reason, or were they simply deemed not good enough?

Comment

Hey! TOF! Send that crate this a-way...

Personally, I think it's a bit of an insult to say Stargate is an exclusively American production just because an American company provides the money...*adopts Daniel Jackson tone* Sorry, but that's just how I feel. What do you think? The show obviously meets the criteria set out by the award organisers, so let's all be happy for the show.

In any case, as Joe M said, the chances of them winning are slim anyways...shows that have USD behind them seldom win anything...so you don't have to be outraged...

Comment

Working...
                              X