Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Screwed are the Jaffa as a society (Note: Reveals premise of S9)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Screwed are the Jaffa as a society (Note: Reveals premise of S9)

So now the Jaffa are free. Good for them. They're scattered, divided race that have very few other skills other than combat, and even for that they use weapons that none of them understand.

I get that the Goauld kept them from educating themselves for the purpose of subjugating them, but what will they do now? They have no real doctors (and jaffa can't even use Goauld healing devices), no scientists, no economists (no economy for that matter). Some things develop spontaneously like art, but they're basically the feudal kingdoms of Europe, only with space ships and energy weapons.

Unless the Jaffa allow others to educate their children (unlikely) and at least some of them become scientists, doctors, etc, what will they do as a society? These are people who have been brought up on superstition and blind faith for generations, but unless they diversify, how will they move forward?

The only thing they have going for them is the relative ease with which they can communicate, Stargates and ships, and that is the only reason they've been able to form any kind of a cohesive council. Otherwise...they're really quite primitive.

Thoughts?
    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

This question has been asked and answered a few times in a few different ways all interesting.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=Jaffa+Society

But if we're going to discuss it...

Now that the Ori are around the Jaffa are even worse off. The Ori just like the Goa'uld won't permit them to learn about much of anything if they convert and if and when the Ori defeated they'll be in the same or worse position.

I think if they learn not to depend on the technology left behind and use it as a learning tool rather than something around which their societies revolve, they'll be ok. There's nothing wrong with living primitive for a while especially if
    you make friends with those who can help you with the difficulties of life. They'll have to learn patience lots and lots of patience.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
      They'll have to learn patience lots and lots of patience.
      Jaffa, learn patience? That may be their biggest hurdle to get over. They're more of a act now type people. It's definitely going to take lots of change socially on their part.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I know how to make the jaffa listen...well kinda brainwash them
        When the PS3 comes out we send a few over to them...with a stargate game that is really educating them about economics and other stuff....
        and another + is that the PS3 will teach them great hand and eye co-ordination
        The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
          I know how to make the jaffa listen...well kinda brainwash them
          When the PS3 comes out we send a few over to them...with a stargate game that is really educating them about economics and other stuff....
          Nice idea. While you're at it, why don't you send a PS3 my way too?
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
            Seems to me that hand/eye coordination is one of their strong areas already.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
              Nice idea. While you're at it, why don't you send a PS3 my way too?
              Sorry you have to have level 3 clearance wait i dont have level 3 clearance...dammit
              Originally posted by Caprice
              Seems to me that hand/eye coordination is one of their strong areas already.
              still..... it can enhance there hand/eye co-ordination....no matter how good your hand/eye co-or is the PS will make it better
              The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

UHMM...... have you all forgotten the tok'ra are allies with earth and the new free jaffa race???

the tok'ra could simply teach the jaffa how to use Goa'uld Tech.. and use there devices. Which i garentee you is happening.
                and they dont need doctors.... all the jaffa that are alive are either on tritonan or still have simbiots either way.. they wont get sick, ever or need any kind of medication.

they are really not in as bad shape as you think..

(granted i know the new jaffa nation is very weary of the tok'ra's intentions now that the Goa'uld are gone I donot feel they will pass the chance to learn how to build the goa'uld ships and vessels if the tokra offer

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                  UHMM...... have you all forgotten the tok'ra are allies with earth and the new free jaffa race???

the tok'ra could simply teach the jaffa how to use Goa'uld Tech.. and use there devices. Which i garentee you is happening.
                  and they dont need doctors.... all the jaffa that are alive are either on tritonan or still have simbiots either way.. they wont get sick, ever or need any kind of medication.

(granted i know the new jaffa nation is very weary of the tok'ra's intentions now that the Goa'uld are gone I donot feel they will pass the chance to learn how to build the goa'uld ships and vessels if the tokra offer
                  I don't know that they'll have the opportunity and accept it, with all that's going on.

The Tauri played a huge part in their freedom and they don't seem to want much from us. I don't know if they would let themselves depend on the Tokra either. Furthermore, nothing comes free as no doubt the Jaffa learned. They seem to be expecting us to demand our price for their freedom and I don't think they'll see the Tokra much differently especially since it would give them some authority over some Jaffa. The Tok'ra may be friendly but they still talk funny and the Jaffa aren't about to forget that.

They're going to have to depend on somebody.... if the Ori don't kill them and they don't kill each other.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

How? Sam is able to understand goauld tech to a certain degree because she is both brilliant, and has had a long education in science and physics. The Jaffa have no scientific foundations upon which to build, and Goauld tech is still very complicated if you're starting from scratch.
                    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Have you noticed that in season 9 the Jaffa are rantin' and ravin' about their 'traditions', well, who gave them their traditions;...
                      THE GOA'ULD!

And they wanna' emulate these guys?
                      Gimme' a break, THEY JUST DESTROYED THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by tony

You have to have naquada in YOUR blood to use Goa'uld technology, not in your SYMBIOTE'S blood!
                        sigpic

Comment

The Sodan managed well enough.

Comment

Any way, tritonen does not keep Jafa healthy, remember, it has been modified to match their physiology, one of the modifications took that away!
                            sigpic

Comment

The Sodan don't use Go'uld technology!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X