Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis - Innovative new show, or SG-1's death throes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis - Innovative new show, or SG-1's death throes?

Any sci-fi fan with a good memory knows that introducing a spin-off is what Sci-Fi shows do when they are going down the toilet. I offer the second half of Season Seven as support of my theory. If you don't believe me, look up The Lone Gunmen, Young Hercules, and Crusade, spinoffs that failed to save The X-Files, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, and Babylon 5 respectively when their collective numbers were up.

However, I am still willing to give this show the benefit of the doubt. Primarily because Dr. Weir is beyond hot. Ooooh yeah. Hottie. She needs to put on a few pounds though, but still. Damn.

-His Divine Shadow

Hmmm, not always the case but sometimes. I doubt Sci-Fi are going down the drain because they wouldn't have demanded another season and a show
    __

__

Comment

Originally posted by HisDivineShadow
      Any sci-fi fan with a good memory knows that introducing a spin-off is what Sci-Fi shows do when they are going down the toilet.
      Since Atlantis has been planned by the creators for years already, this is certainly not the case here.
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Yes, that thought has been at the back of my mind since the series was announced. Precedent is well founded.

BUT we have yet to see it, and if it is the SG-1's death throes it won't be for lack of my support.

I will watch.
        "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Are you on crack man?? Not all Spin-Offs are bad.

For example, Star Trek the Next Generation was a spin-off of the original series and it put Science Fiction on the map bigtime!!! ST:TNG became so big it became a household name. Everyone and I mean Everyone has heard of the name STAR TREK. Besides a great majority of people know of Jean-Luc Picard and friends.

Secondly Star Trek: Deep Space 9 was an incredible follow up to TNG as well. Great storyline with the Dominion War.

However Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise didn't do that great. Voyager had a great premise for a show (trying to get home, being stranded), but I don't think it got carried over very well. Enterprise is going into Season 4 but I don't think the storylines are that great right now. Some of them are downright boring.

Stargate SG-1 is still a successful series. I think Season 7 was great overall lotsa of really good episodes. And if "New Order" was any indication what Season 7 will be like then Season 8 of SG-1 will be even better.

Have some faith, just like the people who had faith in SG-1 when it started way back when with "Children of the Gods," we need to the same for Atlantis...
          Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
          - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
          - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
          Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
          Mayboune: *shrugs*
          - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

I don't about introducing a spin-off because SG1 is going down the toilet - personally I don't think it is. I just feel that the SciFi Network is trying to attach it's most popular show's name and premise to another series to give the network another hit.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentX
              I just feel that the SciFi Network is trying to attach it's most popular show's name and premise to another series to give the network another hit.
              Like I mentioned... The plan to do Stargate Atlantis has been around for years. Unless I'm mistaken, even before SG-1 went to SciFi. I believe it was Brad Wright who first pitched the idea.

Comment

To me it seems like how Star Trek: Next Generation led to DS9, which probably means this is the last season of SG-1 (maybe one more?).

No doubt a lot of spin-offs have failed. Its a completely new show, so you never know. Personally Im thinking it will be great.

Comment

As has already been mentioned, Atlantis has been in the works for years. It was meant to be a passing-of-the-torch thing, but things have had to be reworked due to SG-1's continuing popularity.

Season six was supposed to be the last season of SG-1. Not because things were "going down the toilet" but because one season was all SCIFI bought. After the show concluded, there was going to be an SG-1 movie that would help to launch Atlantis. However, SCIFI decided to pick up the show for another season, so there was a mad scramble as everything was hastily reworked to suit this. The SG-1 movie became the S7 finale "Lost City" and Atlantis had to be done over to compensate for this and to plan ahead in case SG-1 got picked up for another season. Which it did. Because it's popular.

SO... now SG-1 is heading into its eighth (and probably final) season. There's no more movie (although future stuff could be planned) and Atlantis, which was supposed to stand alone, is being forced into a different direction so that it won't counter anything that happens on the still-on-the-air SG-1.

If SG-1 was toilet-bound, it wouldn't keep getting renewed and there would be no plans for a spinoff as it wouldn't be seen as "economically viable".

Also, while you can quote crappy "spinoffs" to your heart's content, not ALL spinoffs are bad nor are they created because the main show is floundering. Buffy and Angel did quite well running concurrently. And, since you mentioned Hercules, let's not forget that the extremely popular Xena was also a spinoff of that show.

Personally, I don't think that spinoffs are created to save the original show, they're created to help the show's universe branch out in new directions.

You don't have to like it. You don't have to believe it. You don't even have to watch if you don't want to, but I'd like to offer you a small piece of advice: If you're going to go into a show convinced that it's crap because it's a spinoff, then don't be surprised if you think it's crap.

Me, I'm planning to watch because I'm hoping Atlantis will preserve the ideals set forth by SG-1 and that the new environment will help the writers recapture the spark of creativity so that they can successfully branch out the Stargate universe and give us all a little something extra to enjoy.

Like getting to see McKay full time.

Comment

Gasp! Shadow, do you realise you've written about a page's worth of your thoughts on the future of Stargate with no negative comments in it whatsoever? Are you feeling allright?

Comment

Bite me, Pig Boy.

Negative comments would have detracted from the point I was trying to make. And anyway, I'm more on about defending Atlantis which, if I may be so bold as to point out, hasn't even aired yet!! It's a bit hard to say it's going to be crap when all we've had are bits of scenes and random stuff from the lowdown.

If His Divine-ness had bothered going over actual plot/character problems inherent in the show, I'd probably have something different to say, something a little more meaty. But "SG-1 must be going down the toilet if it's gonna have a spinoff and since spinoffs suck, Atlantis will suck, too!" doesn't really lend itself to an intelligent discussion.

Whatever failings Atlantis may or may not have, I'll still watch for my Wodney.

Comment

Whenever spin-offs have been announced in the past I've groaned. They are usually totally corny and not worth the time. Like someone else pointed out, there have been exceptions (and I happen to think Enterprise is an exception because it's one of my fav shows).

I'm very exited about Atlantis. It doesn't strike me as a spin-off in the typical fashion rather an expansion of the Stargate world. The concept, art and actors have me very hopeful! I'm chomping at the bit for Friday to get here!!! It's been a long long time since we've had a new sci-fi show to get hyped over.
                        sigpic

Comment

Generally, I think spin-offs don't always succeed as the original, but I think Atlantis will be different. Or at least I hope
                          __

__

Comment

Hum.. I'm sure I posted in this topic.

SG:A will be great, no doubt about it.

B5: Crusade would have been great if the Network would have given JMS a Carte Blanche instead of forcing him to do things.

Comment

Really, SGA will be one if not the best spin-off yet I have scene going by all these ads
                              __

__

Comment

Working...
                              X