Clear All

Season 8 DVD & "Threads" problem - MGM's response

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4261 reports that in
    writing to MGM, they received back this reply:

Thank you for purchasing Stargate Sg-1 Season 8 Giftset. We will be
    making the original broadcast version of the episode "Threads"
    available soon. If you would prefer that version, we will be offering
    an exchange and will notify you details of this exchange soon. We
    apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

So, if you've picked up the season 8 set and aren't happy, write MGM
    and let them know!

You can go here

http://www.mgm.com/help.do

and write them. If you pull down their menu, they even have a 'defective dvd' subject line, and I think this qualifies as a 'defect'.

I just hope we find out more soon. I'm definitely going to want to exchange my disc 5.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Man I can't wait to exchange my dvd. Then I can finally retire my Threads DVD that I download off the internet after it aired in the U.K. (downloaded it then burned it before backing it up (saves disc space)).
      sigpic

Comment

No mention of the commentary or how the exchange will work but hopefully that will come later. Good news and kudos to MgM for acting quickly, I just hope they don't blow it again by omitting the commentary.

Fingers crossed...

Comment

Don't know where it ask this, so I'll ask here. MGM didn't say if they are going to put long verison in the set and release the boxed set with it. I didn't buy mine yet because of that. Does anyone know what they, MGM, are going to do?

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
            No mention of the commentary or how the exchange will work but hopefully that will come later. Good news and kudos to MgM for acting quickly, I just hope they don't blow it again by omitting the commentary.

Fingers crossed...
            your right. If they don't have a commentary on it, I'll be pissed.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
              your right. If they don't have a commentary on it, I'll be pissed.
              Doesn't sound like they will have the commentary for Threads. They only mentioned the broadcast version. We should probably tell them to start making the features the same across the board for all regions.
              "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
              The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

man, it's a complete headache trying to figure out which region to buy! Lucky I have a regionless DVD player, so as long as it's in English and won't cost me a limb I'm game to buy the most complete version from anywhere!

Does anyone have a comparison list of what features etc the different regions have? I thought I understood the Dutch version was looking pretty good, but then I don't speak Dutch......

*sigh* have sent MGM a message thru their site expressing my reluctance to buy any further sets (altho I own all of s1-7) until they fix this fiasco. I also did applaud them on being willing to take steps to fix the problem - you gotta admit, most companies would have just blown us off.

Comment

I don't know about the other versions but these are the extras we have in the french boxset (R2) :
                  - Disk 1 : From SG to Atlantis : The Lowdown pt 1 ; SG1 Directors Series : Avatar ; Audio commentaries for New Order, Lockdown and Zero Hour.
                  - Disk 2 : From Sg to Atlantis : The Lowdown pt 2 ; SG1 Directors Series : Covenant ; Audio commentaries for Icon, Avatar, Affinity and Covenant.
                  - Disk 3 : Super soldier, the making of a monster ; A convention experience with Amanda Tapping ; A convention experience with Michael Shanks ; Audio commentaries for Sacrifices, Endgame and Prometheus Unbound.
                  - Disk 4 : SG1 Directors Series : Threads ; A convention experience with Christopher Judge, Profile on Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie ; An Airforce experience with RDA ; Audio commentaries : Gemini and Full Alert (none for It's Good To Be King).
                  - Disk 5 : The last day of Teal'c ; SG1 Directors Series : Reckoning ; Behind the Stargate : Secrets Revealed pt 1 ; Audio commentaries for Reckoning (none for Threads but we've got the long version of this ep).
                  - Disk 6 : SG1 Directors Series : Moebius ; Behind the Stargate : Secrets Revealed pt 2 ; Making of SG Alliance ; Audio commentaries for Moebius (none for Citizen Joe).

Languages : French, English, German
                  Subtitles : French, English, German, Dutch, Finnish.

And if you want to know what it looks like...
                  http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...8.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
                  Flo ~ FBI - Proud Shep Thunker - Proud member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team !

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler

Fingers crossed...
                    Even though TVShows onDvd got a response, all the fans who bought the 'defective' DVD <G> should write MGm and voice your concerns about exchanges and the commentary issue.

I think this will be getting more coverage as I sent the info to a friend in the press

Comment

Man, what a hassel. How could they not possibly know that fans would be upset about this. I seriously have doubts about the intelligence of some of these people. The scary part is SciFi channels not even involved in the DVDs so this is just MGM\Sony stupidity. How could they not know? I mean I could see them dropping the commentary, it would stink if they did, but at least that is some extra work for them. How much extra work is it to include the original 90 min cut of the show? Its double double important because the re-runs will just have the 60 min version. So anyone that wants the 90 min version would only be able to get that from DVD... but they left it off.

Now we have to go through the trouble... and it is trouble... to replace this stinking disk. Well at least we can still be happy the DVDs are reasonably priced unlike some other, (lesser) series.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                        Its double double important because the re-runs will just have the 60 min version. So anyone that wants the 90 min version would only be able to get that from DVD... but they left it off.
                        What adds to the stupidity is that they could have used this fact as a selling point for the set. Like putting "Includes the rare extended version of a key episode." on a sticker on the front. A lot of DVDs include this kind of marketing stuff to help sell them. It would have been so easy but what do they do? Give us the chopped syndicated version and have it be the only episode on the set without a commentary. What lunkheads. Still, I'm glad they are taking action to fix it.

To those writing in: Be sure to mention the commentary!! Very important!!
                        Last edited by GateTraveler; 08 October 2005, 03:47 AM.

Comment

OK, I clicked on the MGM link as above and complained about Threads being shortened, pleaded for the audio commentary, and applauded their apparant willingness to rectify things (little positive reinforcement never hurt)..... except I just got an email back saying that...

Thank you for contacting MGM Studios Home Entertainment Group. Due to the
                          merger of MGM and Sony Pictures the MGM Consumer Help Department will no
                          longer be available.

You can experience continued excellent service on MGM product by contacting
                          Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Sony Pictures Consumer Help can be reached at:
                          [email protected]

*sniff* Guess we should try the supplied email.....

And thanks for the heads up on what comes on the French boxset! I only wish I was fluent

Comment

why would they even consider putting the short version in the boxset.
                            I got mine in australia about 2months ago and it had the longer version. We got no audio commentaries though.

off topic: how come the US version is just being released now? the aus versions been out for a while, and we normally get everything months after they are out in the us.
                            2 years ago we never even had stargate boxsets being sold.

Comment

how do these trades usally work? Are we going to have to pay shipping and handling to send back ours and to get them to sent us the right version? to make us have to pay anything more that the price we paid at the store to fix their mistake would be completly inapropriate. Threads is a 60+ minute show, it never was 42 minutes and so we the fans shouldn't have expected anything but the 60+ mins. I just brought mine yesterday and have not even opened it. Would it be easier to just return (if they will take it back) the box set to the store and just wait the right to be released. will they be releasing the correct one in future box sets, or will only to those who go out of their way to get them get them?

Comment

Working...
                              X